• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] [14.1] [7.1.2] LineageOS for LG G5 (H830 - H850) [Weekly Builds]

Search This thread

Kye2000

Aug 17, 2014
Wolverhampton
Serious question, why is it so important to have official status if it's just a distinction? Unofficial builds will still be developed with the same code as official builds, and if no one is developing for an unofficial device, then making it official will not make anyone devote any more time to it.
I assume Lineage get all the complaints about problems with the ROM and they do not want that

goosnarrggh

Jul 25, 2016
Serious question, why is it so important to have official status if it's just a distinction? Unofficial builds will still be developed with the same code as official builds, and if no one is developing for an unofficial device, then making it official will not make anyone devote any more time to it.

If the reason why it's "unofficial" is due to one or more features which don't meet one or more of the technical requirements specified in the project charter, then people who care about those features might consider it to be a very relevant distinction.

As a completely arbitrary example, I personally would have zero interest in any build that requires me to install a "patch" zip file after each and every update to work around defects that would otherwise be present within those builds for a feature that matters to me.

If the reason why it's "unofficial" is due to the peer reviewers at LineageOS rejecting the coding style or other technical decisions that were made by the people performing the unofficial builds, then I suppose it would be more difficult to decide how relevant the difference is. If the exact version of the device-specific code which is actually making it into the unofficial builds is still being hosted at LineageOS's Github repository despite its unofficial status, or at least if those unofficial changes are being published in the open at some other location, then people who understand how to analyze source code can still take a look and make sure that they are comfortable with everything that's going on.

Clearly, the GPL-licensed portion of the code (mainly the Linux kernel) *must* be published out in the open - but that still leaves quite a bit of code that is licensed under a more permissive license such as the Apache license, and the builders of "unofficial" builds of LineageOS are free to keep that code private if they wish. Personally, I would never touch any "unofficial" build of LineageOS if the portion of the codebase covered by the Apache license was being kept private.

If the unofficial builds are being undertaken by people who either cannot or choose not to track the security patches which must be applied to the device-specific portion of the open source code base (as opposed to the proprietary binary blobs which are beyond anyone's control except for the device manufacturer, and also as opposed to device-independent security patches which are automatically applied to every device built off LineageOS's source code), then that could be a serious consideration for many people. Official builds *must* track those device-specific open-source security vulnerabilities, and they will be dropped if maintainers fail to do so.

If the reason why it's "unofficial" is simply because the person or people who are doing the work to keep the builds going are simply unwilling to "officially" commit to duties as a maintainer, but all my other concerns are satisfied, then you're right, I don't think it really matters.

Last edited:

Jolt151

Apr 3, 2017
If the reason why it's "unofficial" is due to one or more features which don't meet one or more of the technical requirements specified in the project charter, then people who care about those features might consider it to be a very relevant distinction.

Obviously, but that would only be relevant if official status would fix broken features, not the other way around. In other words, in order for a device to become official, work already has to be done to fix all those features. When that work is done those features are already fixed in unofficial builds, so official status is just a distinction saying that all these features work. Being unofficial is not why they're broken -- no one being able to fix them is why they're broken.

If the reason why it's "unofficial" is due to the peer reviewers at LineageOS rejecting the coding style or other technical decisions that were made by the people performing the unofficial builds, then I suppose it would be more difficult to decide how relevant the difference is. If the exact version of the device-specific code which is actually making it into the unofficial builds is still being hosted at LineageOS's Github repository despite its unofficial status, or at least if those unofficial changes are being published in the open at some other location, then people who understand how to analyze source code can still take a look and make sure that they are comfortable with everything that's going on.

If the reason why it's "unofficial" is simply because the person or people who are doing the work to keep the builds going are simply unwilling to "officially" commit to duties as a maintainer, but all my other concerns are satisfied, then you're right, I don't think it really matters.

Nope, you nailed the reason in the head with the charter. The problem is not that low quality work is being done (code-wise or maintenance-wise). The problem is that *no* work is being done.

Does that make a difference? In terms of our G5's future, it means that we may never progress in fixing features and stability at least until someone else steps up. But in terms of official status, it makes no difference.

goosnarrggh

Jul 25, 2016
Obviously, but that would only be relevant if official status would fix broken features, not the other way around. In other words, in order for a device to become official, work already has to be done to fix all those features. When that work is done those features are already fixed in unofficial builds, so official status is just a distinction saying that all these features work. Being unofficial is not why they're broken -- no one being able to fix them is why they're broken.

I see. I think you're looking at it from the perspective of realistically assessing the situation we're already in. From that perspective, the official status that we'd had up until this point is actually misleading, because of the very set of deficiencies which is currently disqualifying it from 15.1 support.

I was thinking in more of a general case: If there was a hypothetical possibility of having an official build of 15.1 or newer, and we were asked to compare that hypothetical possibility against the alternative of another build that was unofficial, I would have preferred the official build because of the assurances of quality control which accompany that status.

goosnarrggh

Jul 25, 2016
Im sorry but y not.....Yes I no but those that r available r not stable enough or out of date

Refer back to my last couple of posts. The LineageOS project's requirements for what it takes to label a device as officially supported changed when they released 15.1 and created a project charter. With the charter, they became more strict about requiring that certain features which would have been supported in the manufacturer's stock OS must also work in LineageOS.

If those charter requirements are not met, then the device will not be granted official status, and no download links for the device will be available from the official webpage.

The efforts to-date to port LineageOS 15.1 (or newer) to the LG G5 currently has some broken features which make it ineligible for official status. Quickly scanning the last few pages of this thread, it looks like there are problems with the FM radio, with Bluetooth audio, and with NFC.

However, if you don't need those features, then the unofficial builds are probably good enough for many people's day-to-day use.

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
I've been using 15.1 (self build) for some time now. I don't use NFC or FM radio, so those are no problem. It would be nice to have BT microphone, but no big deal. So, everything that I actually use (or really want) works fine and everything is reasonably stable. The only problem that I have is occasionally on boot my storage (256GB) SD card isn't recognized, requiring a reboot, and even that hasn't been a problem lately.

Since I build and sign my own, I wouldn't be using an official build, even if there were one. So, I don't worry much about builds being official or not. If 16 was available, even unofficially, and worked at least as well as 15.1, I would be happy. Actually, I would be happy if 15.1 continued to get Android security updates, as I don't see anything in 16 that I really care about.

Of course, it might be even better if the H850 were treblized (set my phone free!).

Best wishes,
Bob

Dlions

Jan 31, 2018
I've been using 15.1 (self build) for some time now. I don't use NFC or FM radio, so those are no problem. It would be nice to have BT microphone, but no big deal. So, everything that I actually use (or really want) works fine and everything is reasonably stable. The only problem that I have is occasionally on boot my storage (256GB) SD card isn't recognized, requiring a reboot, and even that hasn't been a problem lately.

Since I build and sign my own, I wouldn't be using an official build, even if there were one. So, I don't worry much about builds being official or not. If 16 was available, even unofficially, and worked at least as well as 15.1, I would be happy. Actually, I would be happy if 15.1 continued to get Android security updates, as I don't see anything in 16 that I really care about.

Of course, it might be even better if the H850 were treblized (set my phone free!).

Best wishes,
Bob
I think @x86cpu is already working on project treble for h830 h850 and rs988

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Yes they r pretty stable...I tried the RR ROM and was quite pleased with it used it for a couple of weeks...but the screen stayed blank when I tried to unlock it so had to switch back to XenonHD ROM which is pretty much rock stable..but the security patch is way out of date
You should try using Pico gapps. That solved my issues with the device becoming unresponsive under LOS 15.1.

giaur

Aug 27, 2013
Yes it's over. No more builds and G5 support is dropped. Time to say good bye, unless it gets any maintainer (which I don't think is going to happen).

The best we can do is to install stock Oreo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    logo-2.png

Disclaimer

Your warranty is now void.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.

Lineage 15.1 for your G5 is coming in the not so distant future, please be patient :)

Downloads
    H850
    LineageOS Download

H830
    LineageOS Download

Device Sources
    Device/Kernel/Vendor Source

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS, ROM for the LG G5

Contributors
    King_lilrowrow, Rashed97
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Firmware Required: Bootloader Unlocked, Latest TWRP installed
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2016-11-04
    Last Updated 2018-03-23
    Change Logs

Official changes to be included in the following weekly builds. (Frequently Updated)

H830 Changes

H850 Changes
    Power to XDA!

After only a few hours of me posting about my G5 dying you guys racked up enough donations that I'm on my way to my nearest phone shop (Carphonewarehouse) to pick up another LG G5!

I guess my work on CyanogenMod starts again as of today guys, massive thanks to everyone on this thread you guys are epic!

Massive Thanks,
    King_lilrowrow
    (Aaron Doe)
    What I've been up to, Project updates and WEN ETA OREO!!

Hello friends, I haven't died, just been very inactive due my beautiful girlfriend falling pregnant :)

So I'm back and have a bit of spare time.

So what's next? Well 14.1 will be unsupported in the coming weeks (not sure on a timescale but can't imagine it being too long now) I've started work on the official lineage 15.1 update and most stuff is working in early tests, including our beloved NFC and a few other things I never got round to on 14.1, this thread will just be updated with new links when I decide to make my new work public, a new thread WON'T be created so keep your eyes peeled in this thread.

Thanks for the ongoing support, I've missed you guys!

Thanks,
    King
    So, what's next?

You've probably heard the news that CyanogenMod will end on the 31st December.
    Check: https://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/178955/

Do not worry though, work for CyanogenMod on the G5 will continue as normal until the new ROM base (LineageOS) is ready.
    Our tree's a long with most other CM devices are already present on LineageOS's GitHub.

I will continue to update my cm-14.1 builds until LineageOS is fully up and running then I'll rename this thread in accordance to LineageOS and start working on that.

Rest in peace CyanogenMod, you'll be missed by a LOT of people, I can't wait to see how LineageOS turns out though!

Happy holidays to all of you on XDA!

I'll be back in a couple of days.

Thanks!