• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] [14.1] [7.1.2] LineageOS for LG G5 (H830 - H850) [Weekly Builds]

Search This thread

waylo

May 9, 2010
I disagree. There are plenty of threads open with discontinued ROMs so that the current users can continue discussing issues. Sometimes a new maintainer comes along and can add into that discussion.

Reactions: optionalmgrr.la

Stiesen

Nov 18, 2017
LG G5 under LOS 15.1

It's sad that the LG G5 is no longer supported. It seems to me that the number of supported devices is melting like a polar bear on Waikiki beach. Do you think that some devices - especially the LG G5 H850 - will be resurrected under LOS 15.1?

Edit: I got that LineageOS is focusing on LOS 16 and that - as far as I can see - the LG G5 is currently not among the supported devices. I hope they will include it.

Last edited:

SnowFuhrer

Apr 5, 2018
Spirit River
It's sad that the LG G5 is no longer supported. It seems to me that the number of supported devices is melting like a polar bear on Waikiki beach. Do you think that some devices - especially the LG G5 H850 - will be resurrected under LOS 15.1?

Edit: I got that LineageOS is focusing on LOS 16 and that - as far as I can see - the LG G5 is currently not among the supported devices. I hope they will include it.
That is just because lineage 14.1 is too old for them. Next year it will happen with 15.1.

goosnarrggh

Jul 25, 2016
I disagree. There are plenty of threads open with discontinued ROMs so that the current users can continue discussing issues. Sometimes a new maintainer comes along and can add into that discussion.

With respect to the specific subject of this thread, namely *official* builds of version 14.1, we can be certain that it will never be restarted. No new official LineageOS 14.1 builds will ever be created for any device from any manufacturer.

With respect to unofficial builds, I think it's unlikely that anyone could justify taking over maintaining unofficial builds of 14.1, when we already have unofficial 15.1 builds that are being published by some of the same people who used to officially maintain 14.1.

Having said all of that, I think that as long as there are still people out there who choose to use the old 14.1 builds, it's fair to keep a place open where they can discuss their experiences, issues, workarounds, etc.

Last edited:

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
With respect to the specific subject of this thread, namely *official* builds of version 14.1, we can be certain that it will never be restarted. No new official LineageOS 14.1 builds will ever be created for any device from any manufacturer.

With respect to unofficial builds, I think it's unlikely that anyone could justify taking over maintaining unofficial builds of 14.1, when we already have unofficial 15.1 builds that are being published by some of the same people who used to officially maintain 14.1.

Having said all of that, I think that as long as there are still people out there who choose to use the old 14.1 builds, it's fair to keep a place open where they can discuss their experiences, issues, workarounds, etc.

Who knows maybe LineageOS 16.0 might be official someday....

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
I've seen a lot of activity recently on LOS Gerrit for the msm8996 family of LG devices. I assume that you have a hand in that?

Considering I am one of the official maintainers for G6/G6/V20, yes. The reason the msm8996 devices never got official 15.1 was due to the encryption piece. It is listed as MUST work. Now that 15.1 is not official, 16.0 could become official and switch to FBE (File Based), vs. FDE (Full Disk) and become official. Going from the official 14.1 to 16.0 would require a full wipe/format of data (officially). As you cannot go from FDE to FBE without wiping. 14.1 uses FDE. So there is an opportunity to possibly get 16.0 official again since 15.1 was skipped.

IR/FM is listed as SHOULD, so that will be safe to not having working going official. There is still more work to do, but having testers on my unofficial version helps to get the issues worked out and ensure things pass to make it official.

poruid

Nov 20, 2010
Will 16.0 only support FBE or does it support FDE as well ?
(my h850 used FDE for 14.1 and now also uses FDE for 15.1 after upgrade without wipe from 14.1 official to 15.1 unofficial (from x86cpu)).

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
Will 16.0 only support FBE or does it support FDE as well ?
(my h850 used FDE for 14.1 and now also uses FDE for 15.1 after upgrade without wipe from 14.1 official to 15.1 unofficial (from x86cpu)).

I believe it's one or the other. Going official 14.1 to official (if achieved) 16.0 "officially" will require a date wipe. Still all up in the air and unsure. If any of my builds switch there will be a warning too. And if possible some assert if I can check for it.

Ludoboii

Oct 12, 2015
Does anybody have the version of LineageOS 14.1 that was available on the official website? Apparently I need to flash that and encrypt my device in order to have encryption working after flashing 16.0.

I would be okay with building it myself too, does the official build guide still work for 14.1? Will I need to extract proprietary blobs? If yes will they work when extracted from my G5 with LOS 16.0?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    logo-2.png

Disclaimer

Your warranty is now void.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.

Lineage 15.1 for your G5 is coming in the not so distant future, please be patient :)

Downloads
    H850
    LineageOS Download

H830
    LineageOS Download

Device Sources
    Device/Kernel/Vendor Source

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS, ROM for the LG G5

Contributors
    King_lilrowrow, Rashed97
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Firmware Required: Bootloader Unlocked, Latest TWRP installed
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2016-11-04
    Last Updated 2018-03-23
    Change Logs

Official changes to be included in the following weekly builds. (Frequently Updated)

H830 Changes

H850 Changes
    Power to XDA!

After only a few hours of me posting about my G5 dying you guys racked up enough donations that I'm on my way to my nearest phone shop (Carphonewarehouse) to pick up another LG G5!

I guess my work on CyanogenMod starts again as of today guys, massive thanks to everyone on this thread you guys are epic!

Massive Thanks,
    King_lilrowrow
    (Aaron Doe)
    What I've been up to, Project updates and WEN ETA OREO!!

Hello friends, I haven't died, just been very inactive due my beautiful girlfriend falling pregnant :)

So I'm back and have a bit of spare time.

So what's next? Well 14.1 will be unsupported in the coming weeks (not sure on a timescale but can't imagine it being too long now) I've started work on the official lineage 15.1 update and most stuff is working in early tests, including our beloved NFC and a few other things I never got round to on 14.1, this thread will just be updated with new links when I decide to make my new work public, a new thread WON'T be created so keep your eyes peeled in this thread.

Thanks for the ongoing support, I've missed you guys!

Thanks,
    King
    So, what's next?

You've probably heard the news that CyanogenMod will end on the 31st December.
    Check: https://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/178955/

Do not worry though, work for CyanogenMod on the G5 will continue as normal until the new ROM base (LineageOS) is ready.
    Our tree's a long with most other CM devices are already present on LineageOS's GitHub.

I will continue to update my cm-14.1 builds until LineageOS is fully up and running then I'll rename this thread in accordance to LineageOS and start working on that.

Rest in peace CyanogenMod, you'll be missed by a LOT of people, I can't wait to see how LineageOS turns out though!

Happy holidays to all of you on XDA!

I'll be back in a couple of days.

Thanks!