• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL][a3xelte][SM-A310F]Lineage OS 17.1 for A3 2016

Search This thread

Alicee3

Sep 16, 2016
vozforums.com
Hey Danny, can I have the 8-core boot.img for this ROM? (Cuz my phone is stable even with 8 core enabled + full-throttled. Also, I don't know how to modify kernels so the last thing I can do is asking you for help :X)

Thanks for reading!

danwood76

Recognized Developer
May 23, 2015
Hey Danny, can I have the 8-core boot.img for this ROM? (Cuz my phone is stable even with 8 core enabled + full-throttled. Also, I don't know how to modify kernels so the last thing I can do is asking you for help :X)

Thanks for reading!
Hi,

No. I have never produced a kernel like that as I do not support overclocking.

The official kernel is fast and stable. There is no point in overclocking such a low power device.

Kind regards,
Danny

Reactions: Alicee3

Bastaxic

Apr 24, 2021
Hey there, I am trying to install this custom ROM to my A3 2016, but the home button of my phone is broken.

I can use ADB to enter download mode and then use Heimdall to flash TRWP, but I can't figure out a way on how to reboot into recovery immediately afterwards. ADB does not detect the device while in download mode, and only after rebooting (volume down + power) once the Samsung logo starts blinking I can use it to enter recovery.

However, this seems to be too late, TRWP seems to have been overwritten already, and I seem to enter the stock recovery environment. Any ideas (besides fixing the home button)?

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Hello, very new user here. Can banking apps be used on this? It's the only issue I could see occurring when flashing LOS to my device, as I don't intend on using any other "popular" apps.
Out there is a fantastillion different banking apps. Some of them work, some refuse to work because they detect a modified system. Some can be cheated by magisk to run despite

danwood76

Recognized Developer
May 23, 2015
Hey there, I am trying to install this custom ROM to my A3 2016, but the home button of my phone is broken.

I can use ADB to enter download mode and then use Heimdall to flash TRWP, but I can't figure out a way on how to reboot into recovery immediately afterwards. ADB does not detect the device while in download mode, and only after rebooting (volume down + power) once the Samsung logo starts blinking I can use it to enter recovery.

However, this seems to be too late, TRWP seems to have been overwritten already, and I seem to enter the stock recovery environment. Any ideas (besides fixing the home button)?

If you have adb and root you could flash TWRP directly to the recovery partition using DD and then reboot to recovery. If you don't have root then the only way is fixing your home button.

Reactions: Bastaxic

danwood76

Recognized Developer
May 23, 2015
Hello, very new user here. Can banking apps be used on this? It's the only issue I could see occurring when flashing LOS to my device, as I don't intend on using any other "popular" apps.

Magisk hide always works for my various banking apps. Just be sure to enable magisk hide on the banking app before you run it for the first time (may require a clean install).

Reactions: witampanstwa_

setecastronomy

Jul 29, 2021
Hi,

is there a way to optimize application memory usage in LOS17.1?

I have been using A310f with your OS for years, currently only for regular messaging and navigation and similar tasks. While being mostly happy with it, in the last couple of months the performance of certain activities is at rock bottom. Very much visible during application switching. For example: open Firefox with a dozen of tabs, switch to a newsreader (already sluggish), reopen the launcher, starts Google Maps. Result: you wait, and wait, and wait, almost 10s while the app finished rendering first screen, then you want to enter an address into the text field, and the keyboard gets stuck for another 5s until it becomes ready, and then it repeatedly gets stuck while you are typing.

I know this kind of symptoms from my older phones, those are signs of memory exhaustion. And checking "top -s6" in terminal confirms it - we are by a few hundred MiB in Swap right after fresh startup + opening gmaps. Started route calculation in map -> boom, almost 500mb in Swap, only 56mb free in Mem. And it's not like there a single significant memory eater in the task list, the extra fat is spread among dozens of tasks.

Can we do something about this mess or is it time to buy a new phone? I remember tricks like "memory compression" and "buffer compression", could this be applied here?

Last edited:

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Hi,

I have been using A310f with your OS for years, currently only for regular messaging and navigation and similar tasks. While being mostly happy with it, in the last couple of months the performance of certain activities is at rock bottom. Very much visible during application switching. For example: open Firefox with a dozen of tabs, switch to a newsreader (already sluggish), reopen the launcher, starts Google Maps. Result: you wait, and wait, and wait, almost 10s while the app finished rendering first screen, then you want to enter an address into the text field, and the keyboard gets stuck for another 5s until it becomes ready, and then it repeatedly gets stuck while you are typing.

I know this kind of symptoms from my older phones, those are signs of memory exhaustion. And checking "top -s6" in terminal confirms it - we are by a few hundred MiB in Swap right after fresh startup + opening gmaps. Started route calculation in map -> boom, almost 500mb in Swap, only 56mb free in Mem. And it's not like there a single significant memory eater in the task list, the extra fat is spread among dozens of tasks.

Can we do something about this mess or is it time to buy a new phone? I remember tricks like "memory compression" and "buffer compression", could this be applied here?
In your case i would replace firefox with bromite and disable Google app.

danwood76

Recognized Developer
May 23, 2015
Hi,

Which gapps are you running?

The A3 should have plenty of ram for the usage you describe.

Kind regards,
Danny

pjaap

Jun 13, 2019
Hi,

I can confirm this behavior. Since I have the Corona Tracing App Germany, Signal and Firefox on my A3 the RAM is full right after boot. I checked "top" over ADB and confirmed that the device is swapping a lot. I already disabled a lot of Apps (I'm using microG), and force-close most things but the system performance is very slow. I think 1,5 GB RAM is not that much. I think I will switch to a 3 GB device. Although I will really miss the form factor of the A3 :(

BTW: Is there any news about the 18.1 release? The gerrit commit is now open for months and nothing happens ...

setecastronomy

Jul 29, 2021
@kurtn Removing gapps is ultima ratio and I would like to avoid that, if possible. Bromite is nice, looks like a better Chrome. However, the memory usage in total is apparently worse than FF's when you open more than a couple of tabs.

@danwood76 Open Gapps Nano. Installed from scratch 1-2 years ago, during LOS 16-to-17 migration, regular Market updates since then. Except for GMS there are no google apps in the top 10 of memory eaters. The only extra google app here is Maps and maybe TTS, and I usually use F-Droid alternatives where possible.

I monitored the top output (CPU and RES sorting) for a while. kswapd0 kicks in quite often (in Top 5 for some seconds) even when switching from Terminal to some small app like Etar calendar. Swap usage varies between 300 and 900mb. AFAICS the cause is the variety of apps with persistent background services (like 5x messenger apps, the Corona app, weather warning app and other notification services, etc.).

So that's why I've asked for RAM compression, like zRam. In the meantime, I found https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/module-magisk-zram-zswap-starter-for-j4-and-j6.4098659/ and "Performance Control" in F-Droid but a) they seem to be abandonware and b) /dev/block/zram* is missing so I guess that your kernel doesn't include CONFIG_ZRAM. While looking around I discovered that Xiaomi guys also tune some things for low-ram conditions, see https://github.com/BYZYB/android_device_xiaomi_libra/releases/tag/v2021.01.16 . However, I have some doubts regarding KSM, A310f doesn't really have lots of CPU power to spend on it.

Topster77

Dec 18, 2016

Top Liked Posts

Is it possible to install any custom kernel for tweakings? I can't find any except those supporting 7.0 os
    No.

The kernel in LineageOS is heavily optimised, you really don't need or want to mess with any of them internals.

Kind regards,
    Danny
    i know..this is where it has always been. But .. Settings -> Security -> under Device Security there is "Screen Lock" -> None or Swipe are the only options. Nothing else.
    :|
    I'm not sure what your have done to your device but I have a screen lock in my A3.

Try a clean install and make sure you format the data partition (backup your data first).

Kind regards,
    Danny
    Hereis a thread with my unofficial builds of 18.1:

Thanks for your support.
    So this is not a general LineageOS issue, but Samsung-specific? Thanks again!
    Certainly specific to any Samsung device which uses the open source RILD. I can't comment on any other devices.

Usually the sim tool kit only dials phone numbers or send text messages. You might find a number you can dial to achieve the same functionality.

Kind regards,
    Danny
    Is it possible to install any custom kernel for tweakings? I can't find any except those supporting 7.0 os
    No.

The kernel in LineageOS is heavily optimised, you really don't need or want to mess with any of them internals.

Kind regards,
    Danny
    i know..this is where it has always been. But .. Settings -> Security -> under Device Security there is "Screen Lock" -> None or Swipe are the only options. Nothing else.
    :|
    I'm not sure what your have done to your device but I have a screen lock in my A3.

Try a clean install and make sure you format the data partition (backup your data first).

Kind regards,
    Danny
    2okPze5.png

Introduction

LineageOS 17.1 is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. The port for the Exynos7580 based devices was created by @Stricted and I along with many contributions from other people in the Android community.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What works
    Calls, SMS, Mobile Data
    Camera
    NFC
    WiFi
    Bluetooth
    Torch
    Sensors
    GPS
    SELinux Enforcing
    HWC​
    What doesn't work
    IMS services (VoLTE, VoWiFi, etc). Samsung has their own proprietary implementation. It is not really possible to easily port that to LineageOS.
    WiFi tether (hotspot) not functional (fixed in 21/01/2020 release)
    HD headsets in call not working (fixed in 21/01/2020 release)
    NFC HCE (GooglePay etc) fixed in 07/03/2020 release
    You tell me!
    There are still quite a few features that are not yet completed for LineageOS 17.1, these are not bugs this is a beta release.
    Any hardware related issues will be ignored if you do not provide:
    a) Logcat
    b) proc/last_kmsg
    c) data/tombstones
    d) dmesg

Also do not under any circumstances post bug reports if you are using substratum themes or unsupported magisk modules or you have performed any system modifications

Installation
    Install the latest TWRP (Available Here)
    Make a full backup (just in case something goes wrong)
    Do a full wipe (Cache, Data, System)
    If this is your first time on a LineageOS ROM format data
    Download the latest LOS build and transfer it to your phone
    Install LOS
    If you are installing GApps do it at the same time (preferably in the same install queue)
    And finally boot, the first boot can take several minutes as it optimises all the apps
    Do NOT install the TWRP app when prompted, this will cause a bootloop
    Downloads
    Latest official releases HERE
    Latest unofficial releases HERE
    OpenGapps HERE
    Flashable recoveries: HERE
    TWRP is availableHERE
    Magisk is available HERE
    Thanks
    @Stricted
    @l-0-w
    @sekil
    @alexax66
    @macs18max (BT call audio fix)
    @Borduni
    All the testers on the Discord group (https://discord.gg/8fp9cr7)
    And all others who have contributed to the Exynos projects past and present
    A special thanks to my donors
    Markus Anders
    @D4ND310
    @epicwilmo
    @tyson
    @thebinf
    @Herti
    @pixelou
    @xavier66
    And any that I missed :D

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage OS 17.1 for A3 2016, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy A Series

Contributors
    danwood76, stricted
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-01-17
    Last Updated 2020-05-29​
    To update to the new official builds I have updated my migration zip with the new keys for official 17.1.

It is available here (obviously use the 17.1 version):
    https://mega.nz/folder/rUxWBKQT#0j0324DVoZi62fT7mpwHlw

I would advise you to use the lineage recovery if you do not use the extra features of TWRP as it is more up to date.

Regards,
    Danny
    New update uploaded which enables the new HIDL power HAL, more power saving modes are now available (thanks @Stricted).

Code:
    Changes in the 16/02/2020 release:
    [INDENT]-Switched to new HIDL power HAL
    -Synced to latest LOS (including February security patch)
    [/INDENT]

Regards,
    Danny
    Hi,

New update just uploaded:

Code:
    Changes in the 12/03/2020 release:
    [INDENT]-Added mounting of ext4 formatted SD cards
    -Synced to latest LOS (including March security patch)
    [/INDENT]

Regards,
    Danny
    New release just uploaded!

Code:
    Changes in the 21/01/2020 release:
    [INDENT]- WBS BT calling is fixed
    - WiFi hotspot fixed
    LOS Updates including:
    - Ambient display settings now visible
    - System profiles
    - Dark mode fixes