• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Official][Android 10] crDROID ROM [MicroG support]

Search This thread
Sep 9, 2020
Hello guys,
I am sorry for my absence this last weeks here on the forum but it was quite a stressful time in my life. Anyway, I am happy to be able to announce that crDroid 7 based on Android 11 is finally ready and will be officially released soon. Check the new thread out here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android11-microg-crdroid-7.4239379/

However, manual install is necessary and wiping data is mandatory as together with crdroid 7 I wanted to introduce file based encryption, which requires a clean data partition. So for those who can't or simply don't want to wipe data (or simply love Android 10), I will continue building crdroid 6 following a monthly release cicle. The main focus will be security patches and kernel updates.
I flashed crdroid 7.5 (Apr-19 build) manually and wiped only dalvik and data, without wiping "/data/media". It doesn't boot into android, instead, it just boots back into twrp. Do I need to completely wipe the data partition (including internal storage)? Or do I need to take additional steps? Thanks in advance.

opal06

Oct 22, 2017
I flashed crdroid 7.5 (Apr-19 build) manually and wiped only dalvik and data, without wiping "/data/media". It doesn't boot into android, instead, it just boots back into twrp. Do I need to completely wipe the data partition (including internal storage)? Or do I need to take additional steps? Thanks in advance.
You need to perform a factory reset as crdroid 7 on daisy uses file based encryption as default. To apply it, it needs an empty data partition. Please also use Linkboi's twrp with crdroid 7, as it is able to decrypt encrypted data partitions.

pufpufpuf

Apr 19, 2017
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
Asking to be sure, how do I perform the update to the new build? OTA updater says it's available -- is it enough to let it do its job, or do I need to perform some more steps? Flash GApps again, switch slots, flash ForceEncryptionDisabler, etc.? I'm not rooted (no Magisk) so that's not an issue.

EDIT: Using the OTA updater alone seems to work fine.

Last edited:

niko_nx

Jan 26, 2016
I updated to 6.18 with the OTA updater and it does not boot. It stays in the bootanimation screen. I went into TWRP and wiped dalvik, still does not boot.

pufpufpuf

Apr 19, 2017
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
I also have video playback issues on the latest build, affecting videos in all apps (Messenger, Relay, gallery, ...): videos start stuttering at the beginning, becoming stuck for a moment on some frames, before playing normally for the rest of the video. Sometimes, all videos get stuck at the beginning for good. Restarting fixes this, but the problem reappears after some time.

O SAPHIA

Oct 10, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
I have been using this ROM for two weeks now. This is what I have to say:

--General--

Clean and stable... for the most part. My apps were all running well and I had no major issues. The battery life and performance were quite more. There were a few, though, which I will mention below in the Bugs section.

--Compatibility--

No issues here. Every program and every feature that has been listed to be compatible with Android 10 and this ROM specifically are running as expected.

--Bugs--

- YouTube (Vanced) video playback issue: can become stutter-y at some points in a few videos, even when the video itself is fine on my PC. The video also takes a few seconds to start. The videos can also become unresponsive every now and then, only playing 1 frame in a few seconds without audio, no matter how low the video quality is set.
After some days of usage, the videos are literally unplayable. pufpufpuf's description above fits well.
No kernel that I've tried has fixed this. Instead, they actually made things worse.
- Audio playback: it takes a few seconds as well here, causing for a non-clean listening experience. This also is the case for apps like Soundcloud.
- Freezing issues: sometimes when playing a game like Sudoku, the screen stands still for a vert short but noticable moment, then turns back into being functional again. This happens regularly.
After one-two days of usage, the entire UI sometimes freezes at random times for a few seconds. This hasn't happened to me that often yet, but it still seems like buggy code is at fault.

All these bugs cannot be fixed by changing specific settings, so my theory would lie on the kernel being the issue, and maybe some elements of the ROM itself.

--Final Words--

Overall, the experience has been solid. It's quite fluid and hasn't crashed on me since, and I prefer this over the stock ROM, specifically because of the customization features and the debloated, clean interface. The bugs, however, make the experience a bit disappointing. I hope a future update will solve this very soon. Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] According to LinkBoi00, the reason why the newest update causes performance issues is because of the OMX code inside of the ROM, which no longer gets supported by the sleepy kernel. The sleepy kernel has new, cleaned-up code in it containing C2 in it, which is highly likely to be the reason why the newest ROM behaves questionably. I hope this ROM purges the OMX code and moves on to a more modern codec like C2.

(Installed on a 3GB Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite; Base ROM: 10.0.18.0)

Last edited:

pufpufpuf

Apr 19, 2017
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
I managed to screenrecord the video issue. This is from Messenger, but the issue is the same for all apps playing video (including YouTube). You can see that it becomes stuck on one frame, apparently playing it repeatedly (as seen by the jittering seekbar). I then manually skip to a different part of the video, but it then again becomes stuck after the part loads.

Attachments

• ScreenRecord-20210627-210936.mp4
    7.2 MB · Views: 0

Pat750

Sep 12, 2016
Everything working good on 6.19?
Video Audio issue solved?
Well actually I'm still on 6.18 May 23rd and didn't have video issues. Tested with vlc (which brings own codecs), but also mx player, telegram and youtube from a browser (I don't have youtube app or vanced).
For games...I don't have any.
Maybe I'm just lucky.
Haven't done a clean flash since 6.12 with 10.0.18 as base.

• Wow
Reactions: loserion

Pat750

Sep 12, 2016

pufpufpuf

Apr 19, 2017
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
6.19 fixed no video issues for me, but added camera freezing/stuttering and generally the system is way less responsive, stutters/freezes often. It's super annoying and I'll soon either switch to other ROM or downgrade to 6.17. (GF remained on 6.17 and has no issues.)

MaizitoDacok

Jul 14, 2021
Hi from Mexico!

The purpose of this is to help to those who are just users and want to improve their android experience of use with this ROM.

This ROM is amazing, it has a lot of features and options for customize your android as you like! I have tried the 6.19 version with full flame gapps and without root, but it has the video and audio bug, my stock firmware was 10.0.18.

So I have switched to the 6.17 version and all works pretty fine for the moment, no bugs founded. The only thing to say is that there is not an app camera on the ROM, but has the HAL3 switch in settings > system for quickly install gcam

There is not so much difference in battery life with respect to the stock android 10 ROM, but the RAM management is much better, so your apps will not close if you check your messages app XD

My opinion is based in 1 day of use XD, but I hope I can help to some people

I want to thanks to pufpufpuf who has very good information about this rom and apps to use with it. I hope to help you

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
I was looking also for other people saying about the video issue bug, it happens with 6.18 and 6.19, didn't know 6.17 as MaizitoDacok says no problems gonna try it, just a weird bug

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BE3pE0l.png

Code:
    *** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any damage you made to your device
    You have been warned

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today

Features:

Flashing Instructions:

• Detailed installation guide
      Clean install is recommended for first intall, dirty flash is fine for updates.
    • To install MicroG, follow this guide: MicroG install guide
      Make sure to add MicroG repositories to F-Droid to get updates for MicroG components.
    • Alternatively, GAPPS can be installed. Nano install package is recommended.

Sources:
    ROM: https://github.com/crdroidandroid
    Kernel: https://github.com/opal06/kernel_xiaomi_sleepy

Download:
    ROM: Download from official page
    Changelog: https://github.com/crdroidandroid/android_vendor_crDroidOTA/blob/10.0/changelog_daisy.txt

Known issues:
    Please tell me! But provide detailed descriptions of the issue and if possible logs!

Thanks to @lacia-chan for the work on trees and kernel!

Visit official website @ crDroid.net
    crDroid Community Telegram
    Donate to help our team pay server costs
    Hey guys,

new version is up! As always, merged changes from crdroid source. Besides that, this are the major changes:
    - HAL 1/3 switch ported from and by Lupe & Togo
    - Framework/native switched to caf base
    - Face Unlock
    - Better camera app
    - Various smaller changes (Link to full changelog in OP)

Additionally, although this was technically fixed in the last build already, you will now be able to install as OTA if you come from 08/15 build. Have fun! :)

Edit: SIM disabling bug is still present, but please recheck the other ones, thanks :)
    Hello guys,
    I am sorry for my absence this last weeks here on the forum but it was quite a stressful time in my life. Anyway, I am happy to be able to announce that crDroid 7 based on Android 11 is finally ready and will be officially released soon. Check the new thread out here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android11-microg-crdroid-7.4239379/

However, manual install is necessary and wiping data is mandatory as together with crdroid 7 I wanted to introduce file based encryption, which requires a clean data partition. So for those who can't or simply don't want to wipe data (or simply love Android 10), I will continue building crdroid 6 following a monthly release cicle. The main focus will be security patches and kernel updates.
    After many re-flashes later, I can say that I recommend passing on all the Android 11 based ROMs, and choosing this one. It runs smoothly, has all the features I need and doesn't kill apps immediately after switching to another app.

Only bug I encountered so far: After installation, navigation buttons are not showing and you have to manually enable them in settings. (Easily fixable unless you soft-lock yourself in the font-size selector and have to reboot 😅)
    Ooh, a rom with confirmed microG support! I'm hesitant to switch right now because this phone is my daily driver (and the rom im using is super stable) but I'm very much interested in hearing how well it works for folks.

Err, also a bonus heads up, the installation guide you linked for microG is not official and looks suspicious as hell. Might be an idea to copy its instructions and put them somewhere else and link to the official NanoDroid site/forum post rather than that potential malware place.
    So, as far as stability goes, we are at a good point rn. I am using the ROM myslef with MicroG as a daily driver and I am not facing any major issues. FM radio is buggy though, os if you need that, you might want to wait. As for the installation guide, you are right. I was in a hurry and it seemed correct as far as installation goes, but I will definetly link some other side asap.

I installed this rom (2020-08-21) yesterday. Seems very good so far. Thank you very much!
    FM force closes every time but that is no problem for me at all. Also I couldn't wake up the phone once, the display stayed black and it didn't react at all but that hasn't happened again.
    I'll see what the next few days bring.

But one question left. Can the device be encrypted? Or isn't it possible due to the A/B thing? I'm not quite sure if I tried it with another rom and it didn't work at all or if I just made this up.
    Thanks! FM is buggy and there are two apps at the moment: FM-Radio and UKW-Radio. FM-Radio will fc, but UKW-Radio works (at least it can recieve radio streams and play them). But this might depend from the region you are in and the name of the second app might be different in other languages (I have my phone set to german).
    Encryption should be possible, but I have not tested it myself nor have I heard of anybody doing it. A/B and OTA should not be an issue, as it is handled while the device runs and therefore storage is mounted. But our TWRP still does not handle encryption as far as I know, so TWRP probably will no longer be able to flash or backup anything. Magisk should still work though. All in all, feel free to test if you do not mind reflashing stock in case it goes wrong and report back here, would be interesting to know.