• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Official] Android 7.0 Nougat Beta 3 - G930FXXU1ZPL3 - 7.12.16

Search This thread

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F74Xms2Z.png
http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FRRSeHkg.png

N-way

Dec 7, 2016
San Diego, CA
Can someone please capture and share the download URL or upload the OTA.zip for this build ?
I'm sure there are many beta 1 users (me included) who would be very grateful to get a chance to update their non-offiical beta builds.

If someone can create an Odin package of this build it would be even better but I guess we can use ZPK4 Odin and use Adb sideload to flash the OTA.

Thanks in advance !!

Last edited:

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Everything feels a lot smoother, better optimised, but gallery image scrolling seems a little stuttery still

Samsung Pass new feature doesn't seem to work yet, tried logging in, asked for password twice, then told me it wasn't available and asked for the password again

N-way

Dec 7, 2016
San Diego, CA
Show me tutorial, I will try.

Google the following: capture ota url (Sorry I can't post URLs)
There's a guide from Andriodsage (How to Capture OTA Update URL For Your Android Device [OTA Capture Guide])

If this method fails, may try searching for the large .zip file (using ES File Explorer) downloaded by the ota update (after downloading but before installing)

Thanks in advance

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
If this method fails, may try searching for the large .zip file (using ES File Explorer) downloaded by the ota update (after downloading but before installing)

Thanks in advance

Need root to access the update zip, people have already tried using ADB without root and failed too

---
WiFi seems better in this build? I'm getting a stronger signal and faster speed test results it seems

N-way

Dec 7, 2016
San Diego, CA
Need root to access the update zip, people have already tried using ADB without root and failed too

---
WiFi seems better in this build? I'm getting a stronger signal and faster speed test results it seems

Hmm... didn't realize that...

What about using recovery and applying update from external storage ?

In any case, getting the OTA file would be one step in the right direction ;)

Last edited:

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Hmm... didn't realize that...

What about using recovery and applying update from external storage ?

In any case, getting the OTA file would be one step in the right direction ;)

That's the issue, we can't get the OTA zip without root in order to share with you, and if we already have root, we can't get the OTA

This has been the same problem since the 2nd release

We would have to download the OTA, then root, then capture the zip and copy to PC, but rooting after OTA would also be a problem as the phone reboots and likely clears caches, which will delete the OTA

There may be another method to capture the zip, but so far we haven't discovered it

N-way

Dec 7, 2016
San Diego, CA
That's the issue, we can't get the OTA zip without root in order to share with you, and if we already have root, we can't get the OTA

We would have to download the OTA, then root, then capture the zip and copy to PC, but rooting after OTA would also be a problem as the phone reboots and likely clears caches, which will delete the OTA

There may be another method to capture the zip, but so far we haven't discovered it

Where there's will there's a way.. but it's a little complicated.

Setup a caching proxy on a PC and use that proxy in the GS7 WiFi settings. Then when you download the OTA.. the PC would have the download in its cache.
If someone wants to give this a try I can help setting up such a proxy and get the file uploaded.

Reactions: z576012568

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham

Setup a caching proxy on a PC and use that proxy in the GS7 WiFi settings. Then when you download the OTA.. the PC would have the download in its cache.
If someone wants to give this a try I can help setting up such a proxy and get the file uploaded.

Yea that could work possibly, if the PC caches it and doesn't just route it direct

I think capturing the link using wireshark or something could be another method, but would the samsung servers allow a non Samsung registered device, such as a PC, to download the zip?

No doubt there is a way, but seems to be a PITA atm

N-way

Dec 7, 2016
San Diego, CA
Yea that could work possibly, if the PC caches it and doesn't just route it direct

I think capturing the link using wireshark or something could be another method, but would the samsung servers allow a non Samsung registered device, such as a PC, to download the zip?

No doubt there is a way, but seems to be a PITA atm

Lol.. When is it not PITA with non-rooted Samsungs??

In any case, I'm gamed to setup a Wingate proxy on a cloud server just to try and capture that damn OTA file... so if anyone wants to attempt an OTA download while setting their wifi temporarily to that proxy just PM me..

libb

Jan 12, 2010
Brno
www.fotolibb.com
Can someone please capture and share the download URL or upload the OTA.zip for this build ?
I'm sure there are many beta 1 users (me included) who would be very grateful to get a chance to update their non-offiical beta builds.

If someone can create an Odin package of this build it would be even better but I guess we can use ZPK4 Odin and use Adb sideload to flash the OTA.

Thanks in advance !!

It will be useful if you add a manual HOW TO DO IT

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Yea I think people are going to prefer to set up their own proxies rather than use someone else's, as all traffic including sensitive data will be routed through the proxy, not just the OTA zip

Reactions: z576012568

N-way

Dec 7, 2016
San Diego, CA

After reading some of comments here I realize it's not as simple as I initially thought so here's how I'd try to do it ..

This is not sure to work because it cannot cache encrypted (SSL) traffic but it may be worth a shot.

Obviously, you will need to have your Phone either on Stock 6.0.1 or Beta 1 (ZPK4) to get the correct OTA image.

Phase 1 - Install a local proxy server on a computer in your network
======
Note: you need a Windows PC on to use the same WiFi network as your phone to reduce the number of possible issues

1. Download and install FreeProxy (I can't publish URLs but you can get at www[remove this space].handcraftedsoftware.org/index.php?page=download&op=getFile&id=2&title=FreeProxy-Internet-Suite
2. Find the FreeProxy in your start menu, right click to Run as Administrator
3. Create a local folder to store the proxy cache (e.g. C:\cache)
4. In FreeProxy go the "Define" --> Define Cache, provide the path to the folder you created and activate cache.
5. Go to "Start / Stop" and start the service - we have a runnig proxy which will save files to C:\cache (in this example)
6. Before we can connect to the proxy from the phone we need to allow this connection in the windows firewall
(if you are using a 3rd party security software like Symantec, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, etc.. refer to its documentation on how to allow a specific port.)
7. Go to Windows Start Menu and write "Firewall" , open the Windows Firewall
8. Select "Advanced Settings"
9. In the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" go to "Inbound Rules"
10. create a new Rule, select Port, TCP, in the specific port write 8080, then next
11. Allow the connection , keep all three options checked, and name it Proxy and finish'

Now we need to note that PC's IP address (if you are familiar with command prompt you can simply use ipconfig)
12. On your PC, go to start and write network, open the "Network Connections"
13. Locate the adapter (WiFi, or Wired) that you are using
14. Rignt click it, select "status", then the details button, note the IPv4 address

Phase 2 - Configure your phone to use the proxy
======
1. on the phone go to settings, WiFi
2. long press the WiFi network you're connected to (should be the same network as your Windows PC), and select "Manage Network Settings"
3. Check the "show advanced options"
4. on the PC, check Proxy, select "Maunal"
5. in pproxy hostname enter the IP address of the PC that you noted in the previous section
6. in the port use 8080
7. click save
8. restart your phone
9. run the OTA update to get the update and install normally

Finally, check your C:\cache folder, if this worked you should have the OTA zip file there (may be a different file name but you should identify by its size)

Once this is done (even if it failed) make sure you remove the proxy settings from your phone WiFi, and you can stop the FreeProxy on your windows PC.
If it does work you may want to keep FreeProxy on your system for any future captured.. if it doesn't just uninstall it..

Last edited:

libb

Jan 12, 2010
Brno
www.fotolibb.com
One question: do you have OTA updates 1 and 2? If don't then it doesn't make a sense to grab OTA 3 because it expects that you have previous OTAs installed already. Without it the installation will crash or you can corrupt your system.

N-way

Dec 7, 2016
San Diego, CA
One question: do you have OTA updates 1 and 2? If don't then it doesn't make a sense to grab OTA 3 because it expects that you have previous OTAs installed already. Without it the installation will crash or you can corrupt your system.

I actually noted that in the original post but I used bold text now to make sure people don't miss it

Ideally, a registered beta tester would go back to the latest official 6.0.1.. then the OTA should be a full ZPL3 update (at least I'm hoping it would be)

Like I said, there's no guarantee it would work.. it's a possibility.

Obviously, a better solution would have been to use a transparent proxy with the router redirecting all traffic and using ssl decryption but it's way too complicated to setup..

Alternatively, if your router supports packet capture or tcpdump that data can show the OTA URL.

mflow

Jul 10, 2012
Melboune, VIC
It seems that the Android System battery bug is gone in the latest beta build.

Look at my screenshot. It's never been that good since beta 1!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161209-021954.png
    Screenshot_20161209-021954.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 563
Reactions: AnarchoXen

emceecasher

Jan 14, 2011
London
I can't do any ota and I have the beta 1. Is this normal? I'd like to update to beta 3 but ota is saying I have the latest firmware '...zpk1'

Any help would greatly be appriciated. Btw I'm not a 'beta user' I flashed this firmware via Odin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161208-170937.png
    Screenshot_20161208-170937.png
    155 KB · Views: 333

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

After reading some of comments here I realize it's not as simple as I initially thought so here's how I'd try to do it ..

This is not sure to work because it cannot cache encrypted (SSL) traffic but it may be worth a shot.

Obviously, you will need to have your Phone either on Stock 6.0.1 or Beta 1 (ZPK4) to get the correct OTA image.

Phase 1 - Install a local proxy server on a computer in your network
    ======
    Note: you need a Windows PC on to use the same WiFi network as your phone to reduce the number of possible issues

1. Download and install FreeProxy (I can't publish URLs but you can get at www[remove this space].handcraftedsoftware.org/index.php?page=download&op=getFile&id=2&title=FreeProxy-Internet-Suite
    2. Find the FreeProxy in your start menu, right click to Run as Administrator
    3. Create a local folder to store the proxy cache (e.g. C:\cache)
    4. In FreeProxy go the "Define" --> Define Cache, provide the path to the folder you created and activate cache.
    5. Go to "Start / Stop" and start the service - we have a runnig proxy which will save files to C:\cache (in this example)
    6. Before we can connect to the proxy from the phone we need to allow this connection in the windows firewall
    (if you are using a 3rd party security software like Symantec, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, etc.. refer to its documentation on how to allow a specific port.)
    7. Go to Windows Start Menu and write "Firewall" , open the Windows Firewall
    8. Select "Advanced Settings"
    9. In the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" go to "Inbound Rules"
    10. create a new Rule, select Port, TCP, in the specific port write 8080, then next
    11. Allow the connection , keep all three options checked, and name it Proxy and finish'

Now we need to note that PC's IP address (if you are familiar with command prompt you can simply use ipconfig)
    12. On your PC, go to start and write network, open the "Network Connections"
    13. Locate the adapter (WiFi, or Wired) that you are using
    14. Rignt click it, select "status", then the details button, note the IPv4 address

Phase 2 - Configure your phone to use the proxy
    ======
    1. on the phone go to settings, WiFi
    2. long press the WiFi network you're connected to (should be the same network as your Windows PC), and select "Manage Network Settings"
    3. Check the "show advanced options"
    4. on the PC, check Proxy, select "Maunal"
    5. in pproxy hostname enter the IP address of the PC that you noted in the previous section
    6. in the port use 8080
    7. click save
    8. restart your phone
    9. run the OTA update to get the update and install normally

Finally, check your C:\cache folder, if this worked you should have the OTA zip file there (may be a different file name but you should identify by its size)

Once this is done (even if it failed) make sure you remove the proxy settings from your phone WiFi, and you can stop the FreeProxy on your windows PC.
    If it does work you may want to keep FreeProxy on your system for any future captured.. if it doesn't just uninstall it..
    Okay, I tried to use the Proxy method but it seems the FOTA agent disregards the proxy settings and establishes a direct connection with Samsung's servers.
    I tried to capture the URL by setting packet capture on my R7000 (XWRT) using tcpdump, but Samsung uses TLS for the session so that's a fail as well.

The only way to capture that data is to use a man-in-the-middle TLS/SSL inspection and import the certificate as a trusted root in the mobile.
    Unfortunately, I currently don't have the resources I need for that next step...
    I wonder who managed to get the entire ZPK4 odin package and how they did it.
    anyone had any luck capturing the OTA URL ?

Did anyone try using ADB logcat to see if that URL is being recorded?

I noticed in the past Samsung used the following URL:
    http://fota-s3-dn.ospserver.net/firmware/PHN/SM-XXXX/#####################.### (where XXXX is device name and ### is the OTA file name)

With that OTA zip file (especially going from 6.0.1 to L3 ) anyone should be able to get on the latest beta by sideloading it.

Thanks in advance !!
    I captured logcat from MM to latest beta.
    But I can't find link in it :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk