[Official] Augen Gentouch78 Rooting and Development [Working Android Market!]

Search This thread

angus1357

Jan 7, 2008
Fwiw, I got 10 hours out of my battery yesterday.

I am using advanced task killer and my setcpu is at 126-720, on demand. I have removed the telephony and phone apks. I have also noticed that the device is MUCH cooler on the back, it stays room temperature now. I am very pleased with these results, now we just need a custom kernel!

Has anyone noticed the MyTouch.apk? I wonder if this build came from a mytouch? If it did, maybe that could be a starting point for future custom roms?

but does the market still work?

TheZeke

Aug 10, 2010
Managed to get a hold of the tablet. I renamed the telephone apps to .bak so I could keep them just in case. The tablet really doesn't seem that noticeably faster, and now the market isn't working. Don't want to stick it aorund long enough to check on battery life, though.

treeSkwerral

Jul 30, 2010
Raleigh
Just wanted to post an update for everyone looking for HDMI. I am having a connector that should fit shipped to me (free of course). I'll keep ya'll up to date with my findings. Any guys with your Smartbook Surfers, let us know when you have a copy of your ROM or whatever online and where you put it. The drivers will hopefully be nearly a drop in with a tiny modification to the kernel if any is needed.

On a side note, I'm also contacting a supplier today about one of the 3M Capacitive Touchscreens (4-wire) to see about getting one shipped to me. Lets hope I can manage it. They are a LITTLE more expensive than $0.30 a piece (try $60) so I'm not sure of my success level. I'll keep ya'll posted though.

-tree

vertig0730

Apr 28, 2010
Just wanted to post an update for everyone looking for HDMI. I am having a connector that should fit shipped to me (free of course). I'll keep ya'll up to date with my findings. Any guys with your Smartbook Surfers, let us know when you have a copy of your ROM or whatever online and where you put it. The drivers will hopefully be nearly a drop in with a tiny modification to the kernel if any is needed.

On a side note, I'm also contacting a supplier today about one of the 3M Capacitive Touchscreens (4-wire) to see about getting one shipped to me. Lets hope I can manage it. They are a LITTLE more expensive than $0.30 a piece (try $60) so I'm not sure of my success level. I'll keep ya'll posted though.

-tree

Skwerral,

Just dont go nuts.

FeedomFighter

Aug 7, 2010
Hmm, we need to see if it kills the marketplace for someone who had it working in the first place. I'd try it but my tablet isn't around right now. If we could make it a bit zippier and improve the battery life while keeping market/youtube access, this could be a great addition.

#rm Telephonyprovider.apk
#rm Phone.apk
#rm TalkProvider.apk
#rm Talk.apk
#rm gtalkservice.apk (may not need to do this one...just for good measure)

As I posted earlier removing all the above mentioend .APKs and rebooting will break the market. I had it working before I renamed them to .BAK and after I found out it broke the market place I renamed them back to .APK, rebooted, and the market worked fine again.

Next phase is to rename them one at a time to see which one actually breaks the market. That way you could remove the ones that dont break the market. My guess is that the TelephonyProvider.apk is the one that will break the market, but its just a guess.

-MW

n0m0n

Dec 3, 2009
HERE
Step 1: Turn it on.
Step 2: Get a glass of water.
Step 3: Turn GT over.
Step 4: Pour water into the speaker holes (while ensuring your GT is on).

Congratulations, you should have shorted everything on the PCB, clearing out the NAND of your personal data. Now leave us alone, you took a risk by purchasing the tech.

Hey thanks the water in the speaker worked.
I didn't get my personal gmail account info out but it sure doesn't do anything any longer.
Also a few post earlier someone said to hold down the back and home buttons, and recycle...
Did you know if you press them down hard enough it cracks the screen!!!

Anyway its now back were it belongs in the return cart.

On a serious note truly to those who tried... Many thanks for all the time and effort you offered in trying to assist me over the past 3 weeks.

Much appreciate it, and no I don't need my own thread since I am no longer a Gentrash owner I wont be bothering anyone here.

Again thanks for the constructive assistance.
Thanks

mknollman

Sep 4, 2008
I know this is newbie level, but since updating from Augen I can no longer find the usb debug mode setting or the stay on setting - where the heck are they again?

marcelol

Dec 31, 2003
Florida
Am I reading the Smartbook surfer's page right ?

It includes a Web Cam AND A GPS module ??????
If so.....I would've GLADLY paid the extra money to get those features on the GT.....

And an HDMI port ?....alright now it's getting interesting......whomever's got one of those puppies needs to a "careful" dissection and let's try to figure out what these extra features are, and how we can get'm enabled on the GT's.

Xarrdroid2

Aug 11, 2010
Setcpu to 720

Could someone please post the setcpu.txt they are using to achieve the 720? I have used the one on the wiki and edited adding additional slots, only 2, 720 and 800. Can it only be 6 slot to work? When I set to 720 it still only achieves 600. Obviously looking for an extra boost I can get!!!!

Childofthehorn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
Seems like post #17 here is onto something.

Might be whatever yours was allowed and set to do.

Could be just as simple as altering a few lines of code!

http://www.slatedroid.com/augen-gentouch78/4434-quick-teardown-inside-device-2.html

Could someone please post the setcpu.txt they are using to achieve the 720? I have used the one on the wiki and edited adding additional slots, only 2, 720 and 800. Can it only be 6 slot to work? When I set to 720 it still only achieves 600. Obviously looking for an extra boost I can get!!!!

Longsh0t

Feb 12, 2009
When I attempt to do this line in the root process :

adb push ./system/xbin/su /system/xbin

I get the following error

cannot stat './system/xbin/su': No such file or directory

The files are located in the root of my Tools folder. I looked in the system folder and see /system/bin/su so I changed it to:

adb push ./system/bin/su /system/xbin

The rest of the instructions worked fine but once I rebooted I got a stock android page (missing all of the preloaded Augen apps) and my Home button doesn't work. :(

Any ideas? Or can someone point me to a stock rom?

Last edited:

derik123derik123

Jul 30, 2009
Hey, i'm having trouble root my gentouch.

I downloaded This from the Wiki.
extracted it to the "\Desktop\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-win
dows\tools"
opened a cmd from that directory.
Did "adb push ./system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/"
It said "685 KB/s (158741 bytes in 0.226s)"

I went to type the next one in... "adb push ./system/xbin/su /system/xbin"
and i got "cannot stat './system/xbin/su': No such file or directory"

Below is what i did. Copied right from the cmd window.
Any ideas?

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Derik>cd C:\Users\Derik\Desktop\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-win
dows\tools

C:\Users\Derik\Desktop\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb pus
h ./system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/
685 KB/s (158741 bytes in 0.226s)

C:\Users\Derik\Desktop\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb pus
h ./system/xbin/su /system/xbin

C:\Users\Derik\Desktop\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools>

derik123derik123

Jul 30, 2009
When I attempt to do this line in the root process :

adb push ./system/xbin/su /system/xbin

I get the following error

The files are located in the root of my Tools folder. I looked in the system folder and see /system/bin/su so I changed it to:

adb push ./system/bin/su /system/xbin

The rest of the instructions worked fine but once I rebooted I got a stock android page (missing all of the preloaded Augen apps) and my Home button doesn't work. :(

Any ideas? Or can someone point me to a stock rom?

haha i just posted the same error. Let's see if someone will help us quickly.

derik123derik123

Jul 30, 2009
haha i just posted the same error. Let's see if someone will help us quickly.

for some reason in the wiki it stats the directory as xbin instead of bin. I changed each xbin to bin and i didn't get any errors on the codes. Rebooted. Will see if i got root working.

EDIT: yup. that did the trick.

If anyone is having issues with rooting. just change anything in the code from xbin to bin.

Last edited:

derik123derik123

Jul 30, 2009
umh... new problem... I was following the Market Fix
I got to step 15: Launch Market and sign into your Google Account - !Wait until the "sync" icon goes away in the top bar before you do anything in Market!
It started downloading all my apps that were synced with my google account. They were all failing.
i figured i'd let it contiune and i went to eat dinner.
I came back to find my gentouch off.
I tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't even start. It didn't show a boot screen or anything
I'm guessing it died, possibly, but i had it plugged into the computer via USB, not sure if it charges through there or not.

It's on the charger, still not turning on. Figure i'll wait 10 15 mins and see if it turns on.

Otherwise...

HALP?!?! :)

EDIT: yeah.. It's not Starting up... Anyone wanna help me please?

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

I was plugging the ac adapter into the audio jack.... It turns on now :)

Last edited:

pbrauer

Jun 25, 2007
Lexington, SC
ok, a big thanks to all the really enormous brains and geeks here. I now have:

- market working fully
- much improved battery life
- root access
- portrait mode

Overall impression, for the price of Kindle, got a whole lot more

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US) using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How can I power this thing on the go?
    Stupid question, I've got the market working also, but see the same only 300 or so apps. You mention getting a different vending.apk, can you tell me where you got yours, and how can I tell what version I have?

Thanks in advance.

i'll attach the vending.apk I pulled from the other site, also i've done the market unlock for 2.0 listed on the wiki thread. The only other thing i've noticed is that you dont have the option to scroll down in portrait mode, only landscape.
    Gentouchpad, I've got a wifi advanced config editor that will get you on WEP if you're still interested. I mean... we've been working awefully hard to get it working for you...

goodintentions.... what can I say? once WEP and then WPA did not work I was already in the weeds with ethernet cables and laptops laying around, had to flash firmware as a last resort. you know what they say, once you go WPA you never go back.
    Thanks though. I recall numerous others stuck with WEP who are having trouble as well.
    :)
    Did both updates following linckracker's instructions. No problems at all.

Thanks linc!
    dude seriously are you a complete ****ing retard?
    the GT78 does NOT have a stylus, never came with one and doesnt even have aslot to slide a stylus in it.....

now who won the rude and stupid award you looser.

yeah, you a little stupid. its got a stylus, just like pretty much everything else with a resistive touch screen..., and yes this device still does have some promise if some big names would start working on it. but i guess im gonna take mine back and get a rocktab
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone