• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Official beta of fennec!

Search This thread

aE3-ink

Jan 23, 2009
www.poison-gas.com
patience is a virtue as they say (whoever they are).
I haven't bothered trying to run it on my diamond but I've been playing around with the windows desktop version for a while, ever since I discovered opera mobile on my archos 605.
After getting the HTC diamond I compared the two different versions of Opera I had, the one on the archos is specifically made for those devices & whilst it's lacking in a lot of things, it really beats the hell out of the version on the diamond. Opera mobile on the diamond is nice, but it's a bit of a pain to work with, perhaps it's because I'm unused to surfing on mobile devices ?
I even updated & reconfigured opera on the pc to try to get into the 'opera' feel. & for the first time spent more than an hour using it (tried it for 2 days). I usually only used it for web dev testing. After 2 days I couldn't stand it any longer, it was nice, well made, but after years of using Firefox, it just didn't cut the mustard with me.
For opera fans, don't take this as a slight, but whenever I use opera (any version) I don't hear the rich baritone sounds I wish to hear, rather I get the impression of the high pitched voice of the castrato.
I'm really looking forward to when Fennec becomes usable on the mobile as I feel totally at home with the wee interface & being the little cousin of Firefox of course will make this one helluva browser for the Mozilla fans.
So I'm going to sit patiently & wait for them to get & nice version that will be worth testing out & perhaps try to help out by beta testing to get this baby out to final.

Last edited:

lennie

Aug 5, 2007
well I just removed and got back my 26MB that fennec so willingly took over and wasn't doing anything with. I'm a bit disappointed, I was expecting something at least usable, even IE Mobile6 pre-alpha is usable and stable (and yes they used a different base from the previous IE mobile).
if it's not usable then don't release it, they're not in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position as microsoft was with vista or AMD was when buying ATI, or IBM was when they sold off their consumer laptop branch. Mozilla actually have time to make it right. now that they have started effort I would really like to see them push the envelope and speed up competition because opera started slowing down on good development.

right now I don't think they should do flash in the browser (because flash in mobile browser sucks, [I don't mean to step on anyone's big toe] for this reason I don't use skyfire along with it's inability to scroll and pan properly)
with the flash I think it would be better to send off the flash playback to an external player (coreplayer, tcpmp, etc) which are much better at playing video content. doing this would be easier for the developers and would cut down the release times and file size.

skero666

Nov 1, 2008
Bucharest
umm what should a bootloader failure have to do with fennec? must've been caused by something else...

:) Trust me, it is a very interesting boot failure... It's a black screen with white writing and i quote "Bootloader failure, this may be caused by a corrupted system setting or an authorized third party application install. Press Send to reset your device, press any other button to cancel. WARNING: you will loose all your personal data and settings" Believe me, i haven't seen this before, and i fu***d up my phone bad other times... :) on the other hand it was fun...

the_fish

May 12, 2008
:) Trust me, it is a very interesting boot failure... It's a black screen with white writing and i quote "Bootloader failure, this may be caused by a corrupted system setting or an authorized third party application install. Press Send to reset your device, press any other button to cancel. WARNING: you will loose all your personal data and settings" Believe me, i haven't seen this before, and i fu***d up my phone bad other times... :) on the other hand it was fun...

i've had that before.... soft reset, and it worked again... yep it CAN be caused by apps, but its NOT a "real" bootloader problem, it will probably come back sometimes after a soft reset, but not that often, and not annoying.

lennie

Aug 5, 2007
By that logic, IE6 Mobile must be even more eagerly awaited!

well to tell you the truth I'm actually looking forward to IE Mobile 6. at it's present I think it's pre-alpha, if it was about 11 seconds faster with better scroll and pann with bigger/readable fonts then I would use it almost exclusively. because it is very very reliable. even though it opera gets a 60/100 on the acid3 test and IEM6 gets 1/100 it actually displays the pages way better than opera does.
oh and 1 more thing, it should use less memory. it's pretty hard on memory and thus is hard on battery life.

J

jeepers007

We've all been patiently waiting for a decent mobile browser with functionality more like a desktop browser. What's a little longer? lol!

Philux

Feb 25, 2007
Fennec Alfa 2 just released

The Mozilla Foundation has released the latest version for their Firefox browser for Mobile devices.

firefoxmobile2.jpg

Alpha 2 brings the following improvements:
Improved panning performance
Newly designed theme
JavaScript error console is now built in
Improved add-on support
Numerous bug fixes
Improved UI polish
Unfortunately it would not be an Alpha is there were not plenty of bugs still. A major one may be that panning and scrolling in iframes have not been solved yet, meaning web sites like Google Mail and Reader remain difficult to use.

Download the latest alpha, for the HTC Touch Pro specifically, HERE.

Found info at WMPowerUsers

Last edited:

cpinheir

Aug 5, 2006
weave plugin support

i've seen on various websites recently that weave 0.5 is supposed to work with fennec on winmo devices. i've tried installing the plugin on fennec alpha 2 and alpha 3, but get a message saying the plugin is incompatible with those versions of fennec. anybody have any success with this?