Official CM-12.1 for Nexus Player (fugu)

Search This thread

ste_mir

Nov 11, 2014
Munich, DE
Hi guys, looks like Nexus Player is finally coming to Italy, so I ordered mine a couple of days ago, and of course I was thinking about installing CM12 right out of the box... I have only seen a youtube video that shows that you need a mouse to use it, is this still true? I would 90% use the leanback launcher because I mainly will use the NP as Set Top Box - so I would like to be able to just use the remote all time...

Link_of_Hyrule

Oct 12, 2010
Ogden, Utah
www.ubermicrostudios.com
Hi guys, looks like Nexus Player is finally coming to Italy, so I ordered mine a couple of days ago, and of course I was thinking about installing CM12 right out of the box... I have only seen a youtube video that shows that you need a mouse to use it, is this still true? I would 90% use the leanback launcher because I mainly will use the NP as Set Top Box - so I would like to be able to just use the remote all time...
That's not really true I saw that video and was kind of sad about how much misinformation was in it so I made my own video with more accurate information. As long as you flash the lean back gapps you won't need a mouse at all for basic functionality. I do highly recommend getting the app DroidMote which stimulates a mouse in your phone or tablet for when you do need a mouse for things (mostly sideloaded apps or non-android TV settings). Basic setup after flashing the lean back gapps requires no mouse at all.

Nexus Player with CM12.1 Review: https://youtu.be/a6kjrUDIVZM

On a slightly related note @dhacker29 can you fix the CyanogenMod Update menu on the Android TV settings to not need a mouse to click the download new update button.

nunyabiznas

Nov 29, 2014
overscan

when i goto display on the latest nightly overscan is not there. just blank page. is there something special i have to turn on etc...

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

when i goto display on the latest nightly overscan is not there. just blank page. is there something special i have to turn on etc...

leanback gapps seems to have fixed it

dhacker29

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 27, 2011
Millsboro, DE
That's not really true I saw that video and was kind of sad about how much misinformation was in it so I made my own video with more accurate information. As long as you flash the lean back gapps you won't need a mouse at all for basic functionality. I do highly recommend getting the app DroidMote which stimulates a mouse in your phone or tablet for when you do need a mouse for things (mostly sideloaded apps or non-android TV settings). Basic setup after flashing the lean back gapps requires no mouse at all.

On a slightly related note @dhacker29 can you fix the CyanogenMod Update menu on the Android TV settings to not need a mouse to click the download new update button.
Trying to haven't found the fix yet

Reactions: Link_of_Hyrule

nunyabiznas

Nov 29, 2014
finally

i finally got thus just how i wanted. i had to install with leanback gapps first and install tv versions of netflix crackle and plutotv. then used esfile explorer to copy the folders from /system and /data for those apps and the tv youtube app and i took the overscan apk. and then reflashed everything with regular gapps and place those folders where they belong. so now i got leanback apps with overscan and full playstore. woohoo. awesome work on this rom. thanks a million.

ste_mir

Nov 11, 2014
Munich, DE

thanks for this, I will take a look to your video tomorrow.

What else do I need to know? I am totally new to Android TV and furthermore to CM on Android TV... Do you have any useful information? For example - I read that on NP someone usually sideloads apps: what's the purpose of this? Can't I simple install them? I also new that there was an APK that made you capable of installing any app on Android Tv... What is this APK?

Reactions: Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule

Oct 12, 2010
Ogden, Utah
www.ubermicrostudios.com
Sometimes you can't install them from the play store because they aren't officially compatible that's why you sideload then. Using es explorer's ftp server feature you can easily copy apks to your internal storage. An APK is an Android App kind of like a .exe file on windows.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Have to use mouse to select the download button in the cyan updates screen... Can't do it with remote or nexus controller
Yeah we we're talking about that above and dhacker29 is in the process of fixing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: metaljr81
Oct 18, 2010
Layton
Compatible Apps

By chance has anyone tried either Xfinity TV Go or the Fire TV's watchESPN app? Both of these apps on stock seemed to work until you clicked on a video it would then crash. I believe it was mentioned in a different thread that Xfinity worked on Lollirock so I was hoping that maybe it worked on this rom?

kittysmonks

Apr 27, 2015
VPN issue ?

Great work on the CM 12.1 and CM recovery!! , easy to install for a noob like myself. I've encountered a VPN issue with the leanback Netflix app on CM 12.1 . I use unblock-us to enable all the different Netflix international versions, BBC iplayer ,Hulu Plus etc... They all work fine except the leanback Netflix app . It recognizes when I'm not in my own countries region, but the same app (tried 3 different versions) works fine on the standard nexus player 5.0 ,5.1, 5.1.1 . Does anybody have any ideas ?

dhacker29

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 27, 2011
Millsboro, DE
First time writing an entire application, but why have to go to the web and install SideLoad Launcher when we can build the functionality right into the rom. :D

EI8ob96.png

NAa9HHA.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for discussion of the official nightly builds of CyanogenMod 12.1.

You must have an unlocked bootloader to flash this rom. Please see https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images for information on unlocking your bootloader and restoring back to factory firmware.

You must have a custom recovery in order to install this rom. Please see this thread for more information. cm-recovery-nexus-player-fugu

You can either put this on your nexus player internal storage or use adb sideload to install.

This is a hybrid rom. Once you finish setup you will see a popup to choose your launcher. Choose "Home" if you want the default leanback ui, or choose Trebuchet if you want the full android launcher and settings.

Note:
    The Nexus Remote if fully supported. If you use the LeanBack gapps it will go through the pairing tutorial automatically at first boot. If you choose to not use gapps or use other gapps, just press the bottom button to initiate pairing.

Latest nightlies can ge downloaded from http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=fugu

Changelog: http://www.cmxlog.com/12.1/fugu/

Test build with webcam support. Also supports using webcam mic for google search
    Download latest test build: cm-12.1-20150520-UNOFFICIAL-fugu.zip

Added the Japanese keyboard, Korean keyboard, and Google WebView
    Gapps for Android 5.1 x86 LeanBack: gapps-lpmr1-x86-leanback-20150524-signed.zip

Note:
    If you use the full Android gapps you will need an OTG mouse to complete setup and for navigating some apps.
    I have included Google+, Gmail, YouTube, Hangouts, and Search as they don't show up in the market currently.

Modified the updater script to enable the navigation bar and set the default density to 240. Patch is still pending to enable the status bar, so currently there is no status bar even with full gapps.

Gapps for Android 5.1 x86 full android experience: gapps-lp-x86-20150527-signed.zip

Known Issues:
    Microphone is not working for Google Search

Extras:
    This zip will enable the play/pause button on the nexus remote to be used as the contextual menu button in Kodi. It also optimizes the streaming settings for a device with 1GB of RAM to prevent playback interuptions and allow continuous streaming. If you have your own advancedsettings.xml you may not want to flash this.

NexusPlayer-kodi-keymap-streaming-fix-signed.zip

Screenshots:

LT0RqcA.png

hJhCD4I.png

ZBu5ZSS.png

a7ncdlY.png

vVU07Pk.png

XDA:DevDB Information
    Official CM-12.1 for Nexus Player (fugu), ROM for the Nexus Player

Contributors
    dhacker29, bkjolly
    Source Code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_asus_fugu/tree/cm-12.1

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Unlocked bootloader and custom recovery
    Based On: CyanogenMod 12.1

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 20150519
    Beta Release Date: 2015-04-19

Created 2015-04-19
    Last Updated 2015-05-24
    Test build in OP with USB webcam support, also allows webcam mic to work for google search when you push the search button on the remote. cm-12.1-20150520-UNOFFICIAL-fugu.zip
    Coming in the next nightly

wPeT9Zh.png

mpSgGJi.png

045Q0FK.png

cfgwZ7J.png

F9CYcs6.png

FFraaK6.png
    First time writing an entire application, but why have to go to the web and install SideLoad Launcher when we can build the functionality right into the rom. :D

EI8ob96.png

NAa9HHA.png
    Updated leanback gapps in OP as well as a flashable zip for kodi to enable the contexual menu with the nexus remote and optimize the video streaming settings.