Official from Sony Ericsson product blog - Gingerbread 2.3.3 IS coming!

Search This thread

truefat

Oct 30, 2010
Winnipeg
Are people really so clueless?

It's absolutely bonkers to suggest this. Yes, SE is having trouble making phones. My Arc is on backorder, there's 80 other people on the list at the store. But, to decide to start working on and announce an update because of the earthquake is just strange. It's been two weeks, and this is SE we're talking about. It's simply not possible for them to move so fast.

S.E. may of had gingerbread on the table for months but the final decision could have been made in a heartbeat. To think that it's impossible for one of the worst disasters in history to have any impact in that decision is "absolutely bonkers".

pngface

Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Are there a bunch of monkeys running SE? What sort of decision making process do they employ? LOL
1. First, they announce Android 2.1 for the X10 to come in Q4 2010, with DLNA and further improvements for UXP. Then, due to the huge public outburst, they say it is coming late Q3 instead. Maintain that due to hardware limitations, dual touch is impossible.
2. Then, come late Q3, they announce that it has been delayed by a month, back to Q4. And they announce this 2-3 days before their self imposed deadline expires. To help quell some of the frustration, they announce (after seeing some videos from China) that their brilliant engineers have found a way to implement multi touch after all.
3. Next - in Jan 2011, with the launch of their 2011 Xperia lineup, they announce that their 2010 Xperias will remain on Android 2.1, again, to a huge public outcry.
4. Release mediascape, dual touch update. Leave out DLNA. This didn't matter to many, but I for one was waiting for it since May 2010.
5. Announce Android 2.3.3 for the X10 in March 2011 to come in early Q3 2011

Do they flip a coin to make decisions up there? How does it work?

Reactions: LJE

agentJBM

Nov 30, 2010
Orlando
@pngface

Remember this is their first go at this. They can't control google releasing non compatible updates either. I would rather work with a company that's willing to admit their mistakes and fix them than some know it all corporation that doesn't care about their customers like AT&T for example.

SE may be monkeys, but they are monkeys that can learn from their mistakes. SE may not have been perfect on the X10, but their follow up actions show they are taking drastic measures to improve in the future. We will all benefit in the future from the mistakes of today. ;)

Last edited:

pngface

Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
@pngface

Remember this is their first go at this. They can't control google releasing non compatible updates either. I would rather work with a company that's willing to admit their mistakes and fix them than some know it all corporation that doesn't care about their customers like AT&T for example.

SE may be monkeys, but they are monkeys that can learn from their mistakes. SE may not have been perfect on the X10, but their follow up actions show they are taking drastic measures to improve in the future. We will all benefit in the future from the mistakes of today. ;)

I'm all in support of them releasing Gingerbread, ofcourse, since I have about 26 months left in my contract :p
But this isn't their first go at smartphones though. X1, X2 etc
I'm not sure how much Google is at fault here, but SE is definitely better than some other companies out there, esp when it comes to design. Hopefully they have learnt and fixed the problems in their internal product development pipeline to churn out speedy updates

alankstiyo

Sep 15, 2009
Buried deep inside my mind
@pngface

i'm kinda sure that SE thought that no1 will care about not having updates for our phones or that the customer worths nothing. at least as you said they learned from their own mistakes the sad part is that we were like guinea pigs with a company that has way too many years in the market

fiscidtox

Dec 2, 2010
@pngface

Why though not just not say anything about updates, if, as some people have been maintaining, this has been in the works for some time now?

Why try to make people angry by saying "Oh no updates past 2.1".

I feel like SE have been intentionally trying to make us upset, if that is the case

DeViL_DiCe

Oct 23, 2010
Oeiras
There has been 3 theories regarding this late announcement from SE.

1. The dev's are close to cracking the bootloader, so they want to tight the security by releasing this update.

2. They have heard their customers complaints, therefore updating to the latest android version.

3. Due to the massive earthquake, there were several factories closed, so this means less Arcs and Plays, so they have to update the image of their current flagship (X10) to absorb their losses.

I'm betting on the third, but my head tends to choose number 1. I don't know why but number 2 never crosses my mind... =)

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

compumasta

Jan 25, 2011
So say it takes a month for them to make the actual decision to upgrade the x10. How long ago was it that devs showed that most of the arcs fw worked on x10. That just proved that they could 1. Save public face and 2. Accomplish it with relatively low effort and money invested.

Sent from my Delorean using a flux capacitor!

agentJBM

Nov 30, 2010
Orlando
Why though not just not say anything about updates, if, as some people have been maintaining, this has been in the works for some time now?

Why try to make people angry by saying "Oh no updates past 2.1".

I feel like SE have been intentionally trying to make us upset, if that is the case

Intentionally upset us? This is a very large corporation, with real human beings working and making decisions that effect their own careers as well as make the company money by keeping their customers happy. It is absurd that so many people here on xda believe that thousands of SE employees and directors sit around thinking of ways to screw people over. Their jobs and the company are at stake as well.

Quit trying to find a reason behind all their actions. People and companies are not perfect, plain and simple. Why does a mistake have to be malicious? Would you work for a company that purposely chose to neglect their products and their customers?

I don't think some of the people here have ever had a career or worked for a company that they cared about. These are highly educated professionals who worked hard to get where they are and take pride in their work.

alankstiyo

Sep 15, 2009
Buried deep inside my mind
will agree just in part with you, sometimes executives will make decisions for their own benefit anyway at least they made a good decision trying to keep us satisfied after giving us way too many reasons to change our phones

I remember SCEA hearing us when we wanted in-game xmb they tried hard to give it to us w/o hesitation or any statement saying no, even though it's a different division from SE I think they must have part of the same rules (let's say keep the customer satisfied and happy)

fiscidtox

Dec 2, 2010
Intentionally upset us? This is a very large corporation, with real human beings working and making decisions that effect their own careers as well as make the company money by keeping their customers happy. It is absurd that so many people here on xda believe that thousands of SE employees and directors sit around thinking of ways to screw people over. Their jobs and the company are at stake as well.

Quit trying to find a reason behind all their actions. People and companies are not perfect, plain and simple. Why does a mistake have to be malicious? Would you work for a company that purposely chose to neglect their products and their customers?

I don't think some of the people here have ever had a career or worked for a company that they cared about. These are highly educated professionals who worked hard to get where they are and take pride in their work.

Lol all you did was dance around my question, very politician like...

Why not just not make a statement then? I'm confused as to what possible reasoning there could be if it was in the works since january like unknown13x said...

It just doesn't make any sense...

i know you're the type that hates to question anything, but not all of us are so easily placated..

I don't get why you get so damn defensive though, I never insulted them, I'm quite pleased since finding out about the update. I still question things, I'm an engineer that also has a philosophy degree, I'm a fairly curious individual lol

truefat

Oct 30, 2010
Winnipeg

A corporation is a dictatorship not a commune. It doesn't matter how passionate the thousands of employees are. They don't make the decisions. Why do you think SEleak decided to post when he did? It only takes one corporate prick to piss on everything.

Now why is it that you are so obsessed with defending a multibillion dollar corporation like it's a lost puppy?

chaostimmy

Aug 2, 2010
There has been 3 theories regarding this late announcement from SE.

1. The dev's are close to cracking the bootloader, so they want to tight the security by releasing this update.

2. They have heard their customers complaints, therefore updating to the latest android version.

3. Due to the massive earthquake, there were several factories closed, so this means less Arcs and Plays, so they have to update the image of their current flagship (X10) to absorb their losses.

I'm betting on the third, but my head tends to choose number 1. I don't know why but number 2 never crosses my mind... =)

3! They need more time to bring new phones to the market cause that earthquake disaster so they have to bring the old x10 back in the game

jamieridler

Jan 11, 2011
Northampton
This is good news, all the complainers and moaners need to STFU lol.
It would have been much better for SE to release the update for ALL the 2010 range, but who knows, they might do so by the time its out. If they have gone this far after saying no future updates then who knows.

Im happy to just stick with CM 6.1.3 V05 till SE's 2.3.3 comes out and then ill give that a try :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official update on Xperia X10 to Gingerbread

Now I like my phone :)
    blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/03/25/update-on-xperia™-x10
    http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/03/25/update-on-xperia%E2%84%A2-x10/

As you can see in the above text,we have an official announecement from the SE. Well,what a nice way to start a day :)
    SE aint doing this for us... they didnt listen to us..
    They have poor sales in line and they realized their once loyal customers have caught on to the fact that their statements that "multitouch-16mil colours and gb" isn't possible, are a load of BS...
    They are doing this so the sheeple say... yeaaa.... SE FTW... I knew they loved me..

XDA devs should get a pay rise... The work done 2 months after the offical SE GB release date will be 10X better.... this statement by SE just made me get the paypal acc up

This is just digusting.
    They said they wouldn't update, y'all complained that they should give u froyo.
    Instead, they bring Gingerbread, and some people are still complaining.
    If they are doing it for u, or themselves, doesn't f**king matter, they brought it.
    STOP *****ING.
    There's just no pleasing some people.
    I'm actually shocked. And very pleased. Glad I stuck with my phone :D

FroYo is good, but Gingerbread is better.
    the progress made by Jerpelea, Binary, Zdzihu and all the other team working on x10 forced SE to release the update for X10

so SE still sucks, a big bloody liar company,,,,,,,,,,,SE Modified Eclair runs better than Google's Untouched Froyo and Gingerbread on X10 .................

bootloader has been bypassed and soon will be cracked, we won't rely on SE any more

so all the thanx goes to Jerpelea, Binary, Zdzihu and all the the teams working on X10