Official FroYo Update Thread + FAQ | OTA IS OUT NOW!

42turkeys

Apr 18, 2010
It's out. Now the race to root. DO NOT post the HTC Link.

Ok, firstly, before I get flamed:
I realise this probably should go in General, but more people see the dev section and this should also avoid the posts from n00bs who don't understand.

Secondly:
INSTALLING THE UPDATE WILL WIPE YOUR ROOT AND YOU MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO ROOT AGAIN.
(Copy + paste that warning into your sig :) )

The update will either come in one of these formats:
  • A PB99IMG.zip which can be flashed in HBOOT mode OTA
  • An RUU to run on your computer
  • A zip to flash in recovery which will 'patch' existing files to bring them up to date. (This is the one which it will probably be)

LATEST NEWS:
Fri 8:31 GMT - HTC NL posts on their official Facebook page: http://bit.ly/aK9RQw
Follow @rootmydroid on Twitter for the very latest information.

NEW! OTA Wonder Machine for Linux:

Download
This has loads of options which you can see in the pic above. Yes we really have found how to send a fake OTA check request.
This is for Linux only. Find out how to install Linux under Windows with this guide.
Thanks to Klutsh for help with the commands + mithrandi for figuring out how to do it in the first place.
Feel free to mod my work and make it better, I can upload it back to the RMD server and make it avalible via an update.

FAQ:

I'm Rooted and I still want the official update after reading the warning.
1) Make a goldcard using this guide (For Desire too)
2) Download this
3) Double click it and follow the instructions.
4) When the update is ready to be pushed out, you will get a notification.

I got the update notification! How can I find out the link?
You will need to download an app of the market called 'Log Collector' before you get the notification. Then, after selecting accept and it starts downloading, run the log collector app and email it to yourself. Then post the output of the email here and email it to me ([email protected]) and I will pick out the link for you.

I want to keep my root but still have the update.
As soon as we get a link, it will be a race to see who can be the first to release the update. You can help by...

I want to help people root the update!
If the update comes in the form of an RUU or PB99IMG.zip, I will be able to instantly root & upload it. However, if the update is in the form of a patch zip, someone will have to install the update and use busybox to tar it, or a dev will have to patch the files with the originals.

I have the update, I want to tar it.
1) Install Android SDK or simply adb
2) Download busybox for Android
3) Launch Windows console (cmd) and go to the directory where busybox is with the "cd path/to/the/file" command.
4) "adb devices" <- Is your device detected ? If not, install HTC Sync // Of course, before you have to plug your device in... (Sync mode I guess)
5) "adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
6) "adb shell"
7) "cd /sdcard/"
8) "chmod 755 /data/local/busybox" (something like that)
9) "/data/local/busybox tar cvf dump.tar /system"
10) When it's finished, you will have a normal error like 'tar: error exit delayed from previous errors'.
11) Compress it and then upload it. Feel like a rock star. :)
Jargon Buster:

RUU - Rom Update Utility - Official HTC Programs used to update or restore your phone from a computer
ADB (logcat) - Android Device (or Debug) Bridge - A command line tool to manage your phone from a computer. ADB logcat is the system log of your phone which displays the URL of the update when you get the notification.
Need something explaining? Post here & I'll try my best ;)

Have a question? Post here and I will try to answer it.
Please keep all discussion + questions in this thread to avoid the XDA trolls coming out... :)

Last edited:

42turkeys

Apr 18, 2010
No matter where you post anything, noobs will flock to threads like this. Fact.

Sent from my Desire using XDA App
They will flock to this thread and that is the point. To answer the frequent questions and to avoid the 20 threads that will be started over the weekend. 'How do I unroot?' 'I lost my root! :'(' 'How do I install the update?' 'Questions about the upcoming Desire update' 'Oh, Ou, Ah... Desire Update?' :D

42turkeys

Apr 18, 2010
Yes you can. You may not need a goldcard though as it is sim-free but if you get a 'CUSTOM ID ERROR' in when you try and flash an ROM, you do need a goldcard.

daming

Oct 27, 2008
Yes you can. You may not need a goldcard though as it is sim-free but if you get a 'CUSTOM ID ERROR' in when you try and flash an ROM, you do need a goldcard.
Thank you!

Any more info about this update? Maybe bootloader and radio will be changed too?

thanks again.

42turkeys

Apr 18, 2010
so how long will it take you dev's to make it a rootable rom for us that don't want the official update?
Someone will have to tar it using the method on the 1st post, then I will have to download it, then it will be around 10 mins until it's back uploading.
At least that's how fast I was with the Hero update.