Official Galaxy Nexus Car Dock with TRUE 3-pin functionality! (2012-08-10 Update!)

Search This thread

tsy87

Nov 14, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
hmm... does anyone have the issue where it says its charging, (AC charge mode) and the battery still drains as if its not being charged at all? I permawired the dock into my car so Im not sure if I messed up some of the connections from the PCB's or if my pogo pins are still messing with me. (vzw nexus).

tsy87

Nov 14, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
hmm after some thought... is it possible that my rom is causing the charging issues?

I know from before, when I had connection problems, it would show the battery icon as charging, but the battery status would say not charging. So this makes me think that its not a hardware connection issue, maybe something with the latest ROM since before, it worked fine.

Anyway, I never got around to posting these.

DSC_1099 by tsy87, on Flickr

DSC_1097 by tsy87, on Flickr

Last edited:

ice9mike

Sep 20, 2010
hmm after some thought... is it possible that my rom is causing the charging issues?

I know from before, when I had connection problems, it would show the battery icon as charging, but the battery status would say not charging. So this makes me think that its not a hardware connection issue, maybe something with the latest ROM since before, it worked fine.

Anyway, I never got around to posting these.

Does the audio jack output SPDIF signal? I see from your pictures that the SPDIF signal is on the main board, but I can't tell if it is routed to the audio jack. Thanks.

LordNickerchen

Jun 18, 2010
Today i got my vehicle mount, but its frustrating:

Sound via AUX sounds really "distorted"!

The cable works fine and if i use the 3,5 mm jack the music sounds good - but not using the Pogo Pin mount... I testet an mp3, Google Play Music and the Youtube-app, but nothing changes. I also dont have any kind of equalizer excepct of the app "MusicFX" implemented in /system/app.

Running 4.1.1. JB

Any ideas?

coldfusionb

Sep 1, 2010
I got a GSM car dock I have a GSM nexus and when I put my phone in the dock all it will do is show that it's charging by usb nothing else will work no audio and it won't launch any car apps I have on my phone. I've try everything I can think of without cutting on the dock just in case I have to send it back. Any ideas that will help fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

crazifyngers

Nov 15, 2007
When you plug in without the dock does it distort when you have you phone volume at full? If so you need a pad for your mount. I mentioned them earlier in the thread

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tsy87

Nov 14, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Today i got my vehicle mount, but its frustrating:

Sound via AUX sounds really "distorted"!

The cable works fine and if i use the 3,5 mm jack the music sounds good - but not using the Pogo Pin mount... I testet an mp3, Google Play Music and the Youtube-app, but nothing changes. I also dont have any kind of equalizer excepct of the app "MusicFX" implemented in /system/app.

Running 4.1.1. JB

Any ideas?

This happened to me with a bad connection. The audio would sound distorted and sometimes it would just skip. Thats my guess...

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
www.network-creations.net
I just got my car dock from Espansys. I'm really happy with it and it works real well with my Gnex with Jellybean. Car home ultra launches automatically when I put it in. I don't use the aux jack so that's not a big deal to me. I just wanted it to launch my car app when installed, so I can stay charged and use navigation.

I read somewhere in this thread that you had to install the apk of car home to get any car dock app to launch but, it looks like that's been solved with Jellybean.

Reactions: jfroehlich

mmidgley

Apr 25, 2006
dock mode

when i used an htc nexus one i could switch out of and back into dock mode. when i inserted my vzw galaxy nexus 4.0.4 in the car dock it turned on car dock mode, but if i chose to exit car dock mode the only way back (that i was aware of) was to remove and re-insert the phone in the dock. now that i am running a 4.1.1 rom it behaves like the nexus one did--i can pull down notifications and choose to exit dock mode, but it then leaves an active notification that i can use to choose to go back to dock mode. also an important [critical] fact: on 4.0.4 the rom would not allow charging if it was not in car dock mode (the battery icon next to the clock in the notification bar would show charging, but settings->battery would show discharging). however, on 4.1.1, it correctly charges the phone when in the dock regardless of whether its in car dock mode or not.

m.

dalesd

Dec 29, 2010
I am not talking about a weak hiss in the background which that cable can make go away, the audio output is nothing but hiss, pink noise. There is no sound, no real audio at all. Only the pink noise.
Did you find a fix for this?

I just want to use the G'nex with Bluetooth (phone and media) but that's not working when I put the phone in the dock. Bluetooth audio works when the phone isn't in the dock, but when I put the phone in, Bluetooth audio quits.

This is a GSM galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean 4.1.1

zuberio

Sep 20, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Put some tape over the middle pogo pin. Then it won't enter dock mode and you'll still have bluetooth. You'll only be able to charge in USB mode though (500mA).

litrekid

Sep 5, 2010
I have always had an option in the pull down to go back to car dock mode after exiting. I'm on cm9 but I'm not sure that is why.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wade-0

Sep 11, 2007
Ashland, OR
Did you find a fix for this?

I just want to use the G'nex with Bluetooth (phone and media) but that's not working when I put the phone in the dock. Bluetooth audio works when the phone isn't in the dock, but when I put the phone in, Bluetooth audio quits.

This is a GSM galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean 4.1.1

My bluetooth works fine while in the dock with 4.1.1. In fact, the only time I use bluetooth is when it's in the dock. I did notice this morning (accidentally) that the new Google Music app in Jelly Bean has an icon/button at the top of the screen that toggles the bluetooth audio output. It looks like a VCR play button pointing into a wifi icon, if that makes any sense. Maybe you need to tap that icon?

(that is assuming you already have Media enabled/checked in the bluetooth settings)

Last edited:
Reactions: dalesd

dalesd

Dec 29, 2010
My bluetooth works fine while in the dock with 4.1.1. In fact, the only time I use bluetooth is when it's in the dock. I did notice this morning (accidentally) that the new Google Music app in Jelly Bean has an icon/button at the top of the screen that toggles the bluetooth audio output. It looks like a VCR play button pointing into a wifi icon, if that makes any sense. Maybe you need to tap that icon?

(that is assuming you already have Media enabled/checked in the bluetooth settings)

I saw that strange icon but didn't know what that was. I don't know which thing I did fixed it:
  • I installed the two apps in this thread (Car dock and Car home?)
  • Rebooted phone
Maybe the reboot reset that bluetooth audio out toggle?

I'm still using Car Dock Home v3 as my car dock. I used that on my N1, and it's even better on the bigger screen of the G'nex. I can fit more shortcuts and widgets on the screen. Now it's in 5x5 with two large widgets across the bottom two rows (power panel and BeyondPod) I tried Car Home Ultra and was underwhelmed.

Everything is working perfectly now.

Wade-0

Sep 11, 2007
Ashland, OR
I saw that strange icon but didn't know what that was. I don't know which thing I did fixed it:
  • I installed the two apps in this thread (Car dock and Car home?)
  • Rebooted phone
Maybe the reboot reset that bluetooth audio out toggle?

I'm still using Car Dock Home v3 as my car dock. I used that on my N1, and it's even better on the bigger screen of the G'nex. I can fit more shortcuts and widgets on the screen. Now it's in 5x5 with two large widgets across the bottom two rows (power panel and BeyondPod) I tried Car Home Ultra and was underwhelmed.

Everything is working perfectly now.

Good to hear. You shouldn't need the Car Dock app, the functionality it provides is already built into the 4.x versions (from what I've seen). So just the Car Home launcher app should be enough. I actually had everything I needed built into my last ICS rom by default, but the JB rom I'm using now doesn't have Car Home included, so I just restored the ICS one from a titanium backup.

I learned about that new button in Google Music this morning because I decided to tap it to see what happened, and suddenly my music started playing out the built in speaker. Can't really think of a valid use case for adding that button, but maybe there's people out there who need something like that.

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
I just bought a new 4Runner, and one of the first things I did was order this dock. I had to order it on ebay from a seller in the UK (Expansys and the Play Store no longer seem to carry them), but hopefully it'll be worth the extra cost (~$90 after shipping). I'm super excited!

adamhlj

Apr 24, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

I think that icon has to do with the Nexus Q.

I had the Nexus 1 car dock back in the day, and the thing that bothered me about it was that when connected, the sound seemed to be rather muted. Is this the case here?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, wife went to work a little early so I scrambled to take these pics. It was still dark and the lighting was pretty bad. That along with the fact that I had to use a Nexus S to take the pics resulted in some bad photos. Keep in mind their are shadows b/c of the lighting and I didn't have time to perfectly snap pictures from 90 degree angles (need a second pair of hands to do this properly I think). So all those caveats aside, here are the pics.. Also, I have one of those skins on the GSM version, I doubt it makes it much thicker, but just thought I'd mention it.

From top to first pogo pin (mm). Shadows/camera angle make these look different, they look equivalent in person (GSM bottom, LTE top... both with extended battery)
    img20120112080420.jpg

From top to last pogo pin (mm). Same situation as the previous image.
    img20120112080453.jpg

Thickness of LTE version at the center pogo pin. I didn't take a GSM measurement b/c I put tiny scratch in the screen of this one with the caliper.. hopefully wife doesn't notice. (This is with extended battery)
    img20120112080550.jpg

Side by side.. extended battery. GSM looks glossy b/c it has a skin on it like I mentioned earlier.
    img20120112080650.jpg

volume side. extended battery on both. LTE top, GSM bottom.
    img20120112080743.jpg

pogo pin side. same arrangement as previous image (LTE top, GSM bottom)
    img20120112080803.jpg

Batteries (from left to right: LTE extended, GSM extended, LTE standard, GSM standard)
    img20120112081126.jpg

Batteries again. TOP Left: LTE extended, BOTTOM Left: LTE Standard, TOP Right: GSM Extended, BOTTOM Right: GSM standard.
    img20120112081243.jpg

Comparison with standard battery installed. TOP: GSM, BOTTOM: LTE
    img20120112081433.jpg

Backplates & batteries. From left to right: LTE extended, LTE standard, GSM extended, GSM standard. GSM backplates are glossy b/c of the skin.
    img20120112081615.jpg
    I've attached Google's Car Home and Car Dock applications. Once you install these (both are needed), Car Home will automatically launch once you dock your phone into the car dock.
    Does anyone know where we can get this dock in the US?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-nexus-vehicle-dock-ecs-k1f2begstd-p33499.htm

Apparently, VZ was selling the el cheapo version:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...ay-want-to-pass-on-the-car-dock-from-verizon/

no true 3 pin docking functionality built in! It was essentially a $40 piece of plastic.

Here's a video of the dock in action. This has to be the most functional dock in existence. The only thing you'd want more is probably an ext antenna connection but mobiles don't have those! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7TgFmP74I&feature=player_embedded

DOCK SOFTWARE UPDATE 2012-06-06:
    From Efrant: I've attached Google's Car Home and Car Dock applications. Once you install these (both are needed), Car Home will automatically launch once you dock your phone into the car dock.

Coming soon, directly from Google, $54 USD:

https://play.google.com/store/devic...alaxy_nexus_hspa_car_dock&feature=accessories

galaxy_nexus_car_dock_banner_002.png

If everyone clicks on the NOTIFY ME button, Google will get the message that many customers are waiting for this product!
    So if I got this right:

LTE Nexus fits the Car dock
    It charges
    It works with AUX audio
    and the Pins all make contact

only question I have left is, does it work with the extended OEM battery for the LTE version?

I'm waiting for confirmation, I have my mouse ready to click "BUY" lol

Yes the OE extended battery fits.
    1st pic is with the standard battery
    0cb094a2-7c70-588b.jpg

this 2nd pic is with the extended battery and cover
    0cb094a2-7c8e-0926.jpg

I jumped the gun on the pic but it did charge once it finished booting

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XST4dFDi0WY&feature=youtu.be

There we go. I have a good video of my cats playing too if you are bored :)