General Official Google Assistant For GW4 Available

Search This thread
Woah that's wild. Delete the extra assistant that you downloaded for your phone. The GA you downloaded off playstore is no different than the one that comes installed and is a system app. You only want the system app assistant and it can't be Uninstalled. So delete whatever GA can be Uninstalled and try again.

The reason you have to link the GA on your watch and the GA on your phone is because they're technically separate apps. The GA on the play store is the wrong app. It's super confusing I know.

Reactions: omid_nr
So I just noticed that the Wear OS App will now let you actively pair GW4 to it. Has anyone tried pairing GW4 to Wear OS app? I'm curious If both Samsung Wear and Google Wear OS can be paired to watch without having to reset watch.. I'm nervous that It'll reset lol. Somebody braver than Me should try. I've already reset it more times than I care to count doing these kinds of tests.

omid_nr

Nov 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Woah that's wild. Delete the extra assistant that you downloaded for your phone. The GA you downloaded off playstore is no different than the one that comes installed and is a system app. You only want the system app assistant and it can't be Uninstalled. So delete whatever GA can be Uninstalled and try again.

The reason you have to link the GA on your watch and the GA on your phone is because they're technically separate apps. The GA on the play store is the wrong app. It's super confusing I know.
i tired that but no diffrence the thing is goo.gl links are used to open apps directly from the link so either i need to modify the link to the correct one or somehow force this to open in the google play store or just give this up and find a way to link watch and phone without any link within the assistant itself

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Works but far less than ideal.
Not only did this cause severe battery drain on the watch, it also caused the samsung app an insane amount of battery drain on my phone, 15% in just 3-4 hours.
Slow to respond, seem to need to yell at it for it to pick up catch phrase, then every device in the house tries to repsond after a couple of trys. Since I do not have the LTE model watch any more, there is no point having this on my watch, since my phone has to be right there and operational, google phone.

Works but far less than ideal.
Not only did this cause severe battery drain on the watch, it also caused the samsung app an insane amount of battery drain on my phone, 15% in just 3-4 hours.
Slow to respond, seem to need to yell at it for it to pick up catch phrase, then every device in the house tries to repsond after a couple of trys. Since I do not have the LTE model watch any more, there is no point having this on my watch, since my phone has to be right there and operational, google phone.
I recommend turning off Hey Google and using it with physical button hold. Of your available options, it's your best. I turned my hey Google off and that helped.

The problem will always be poor battery usage with this model. If I can get from morning til night with a full charge then I consider it a win. Only way your getting more than 12 hours out of it is by not touching it or using any special features... What's the point of "Smart" at that point?

TURN LOCATION OFF AND NFC OFF WHEN NOT USING!! Also, unless you use the wrist gestures turn them all off. Get rid of all the apps that sounded cool but you don't actually use. Seriously, if you don't use it at least once a day then lose it. If you can't recall the last time you checked your health stats, turn off all automatic monitoring, especially stress and heart rate. Limit all notifications to essential only. Everytime your watch screen turns on from a notification, battery wasted, especially if you have a battery intensive watch face. Good rule of thumb is to shut off all notifications that aren't communication related. If you want phone like usage from your watch, go back to the Tizen powered Gear3 or wait for the next model coming out later this year with the key focus being on uptime.

Last edited:

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I recommend turning off Hey Google and using it with physical button hold. Of your available options, it's your best. I turned my hey Google off and that helped.

The problem will always be poor battery usage with this model. If I can get from morning til night with a full charge then I consider it a win. Only way your getting more than 12 hours out of it is by not touching it or using any special features... What's the point of "Smart" at that point?

TURN LOCATION OFF AND NFC OFF WHEN NOT USING!! Also, unless you use the wrist gestures turn them all off. Get rid of all the apps that sounded cool but you don't actually use. Seriously, if you don't use it at least once a day then lose it. If you can't recall the last time you checked your health stats, turn off all automatic monitoring, especially stress and heart rate. Limit all notifications to essential only. Everytime your watch screen turns on from a notification, battery wasted, especially if you have a battery intensive watch face. Good rule of thumb is to shut off all notifications that aren't communication related. If you want phone like usage from your watch, go back to the Tizen powered Gear3 or wait for the next model coming out later this year with the key focus being on uptime.
Thanks for the heads up. I already have my watch optimised, and get 2 days life from it

Battery on the phone was more of the issue for me, about 8 times the battery usage on the samsung app, 15-25% of total drain in any given 12 hours, remove google assistant and all good again.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
Man, I stop watching the forum for several weeks and then discover THIS!!! I am one of the many who already had a hacked side-loaded Google Assistant Go installed. So I feared it wouldn't work. Went into the play store on watch, found it, installed it and it walked me through the rest on the phone (to which I said NO to the "ok google thing". Then I just had to go in and set the assistant to the NEW "assistant" instead of the old "go" one. And I went in to the customize buttons to have the double-press home = the new assistant ('cause it was still launching the old "go" one). Hot damn, it works!

IMPRESSED! Of course, now I will have to play with it for a few days to make sure it works right, but my last several uses have been fine. Seems to launch and respond quickly and accurately. And, unlike "go", it uses the whole screen and SHOWS useful info right there. HAPPY!!!!

I just wish there was a way to temporarily halt the speaking of what is on the screen when I want to just read it and not hear it (or annoy those around me). Like tapping a button or touching the screen. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible. I don't want to turn it off completely.

Last edited:

TURN LOCATION OFF AND NFC OFF WHEN NOT USING!! Also, unless you use the wrist gestures turn them all off. Get rid of all the apps that sounded cool but you don't actually use.
My first was the frontier, then the 3, then the 4. FIRST thing I do is turn off flip your wrist to wake up, rotate the bezel or tap to wake. Also, wifi/NFC off unless I use it. In a 24 hour day, mine is on 16 hours a day. I wear it at night. (I'm on a CPAP because my frontier had my HR jumping into the 90's in the middle of the night, sleep study...sleep apnea. Now it stays in the 50's).
With the removing of apps, and all the other things I did, I get 3-4 days out of the battery.

Reactions: galaxys
My first was the frontier, then the 3, then the 4. FIRST thing I do is turn off flip your wrist to wake up, rotate the bezel or tap to wake. Also, wifi/NFC off unless I use it. In a 24 hour day, mine is on 16 hours a day. I wear it at night. (I'm on a CPAP because my frontier had my HR jumping into the 90's in the middle of the night, sleep study...sleep apnea. Now it stays in the 50's).
With the removing of apps, and all the other things I did, I get 3-4 days out of the battery.
Great to hear. One thing I learned is that all the apps that people side load and literally never use all contribute to poor battery life. Especially sideloaded apps due to their tendency to drain power in the background since they were designed for devices that always keep the app in memory even after you close it.

Lastly, close all your apps frequently! If you tap on recent apps (I have it set to my double button press), it'll show you all the apps presently running in the background. If you scroll all the way to the left, you'll see the option to close all. Do that after you've used several apps or at least at the end of the day. If you're experiencing high battery drain or poor performance, this is the first thing that should be done. After you open an app, it'll remain in the background until you do this or power cycle (not sure if power cycling will even close apps running in memory or cached memory). It's a poor design and should offer an option to close apps immediately upon exiting, but they don't to keep that spyware rolling. On that note, I recommend using ADB to DISABLE (NOT UNINSTALL which I highly recommend against.. uninstalling watch faces with ADB is ok!) customization service and continuity service. They offer nothing of value aside from some Samsung internet syncing that further increases battery drain. I doubt most people use Samsung internet in their phone anyways. It checks location frequently too like most Samsung bloat ware... You'd be amazed. Once I disabled all that bloatware on my watch AND phone, my battery life practically doubled for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf0903

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
I am one of the many who already had a hacked side-loaded Google Assistant Go installed. So I feared it wouldn't work.
Followup- I have had no issues with the new Assistant (or with the old "go" still installed) except that, like others have noticed, I have taken a significant battery hit. I estimate something like 20%. Under battery stats, it doesn't show anything unusual, nor much attributed to Assistant.
Of course, I have "ok google" turned off, and having rebooted. So, perhaps it is related to having both installed? Used the phone Wear to see apps and saw the two "Assistant"'s installed. One is not removable (that is the new one), the old one is (and the icon has a tiny "go" in it). So I removed the Go one (that I sideloaded a long time ago) and rebooted. Guess I wait and see.

I noticed that Bixby wanted updating on the watch, so just did that. Strange that in apps on the phone, I also saw two "Messages" with different icons and versions. One is Samsung (and not setup or used), the other seems to have been installed along with the new Assistant and is not configured. Clicking on it opens Play Store on the phone wanting to install Google "Messages". So it looks to just be a placeholder app. Not sure if I want to install it or not yet. I interact with SMS using Textra on my phone and it works great with the Galaxy Watch somehow.

And also noticed two "Find My Mobile" with identical icons and versions. Strange

Last edited:

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
Followup- I have had no issues with the new Assistant (or with the old "go" still installed) except that, like others have noticed, I have taken a significant battery hit. I estimate something like 20%. Under battery stats, it doesn't show anything unusual, nor much attributed to Assistant.
Of course, I have "ok google" turned off, and having rebooted. So, perhaps it is related to having both installed? Used the phone Wear to see apps and saw the two "Assistant"'s installed. One is not removable (that is the new one), the old one is (and the icon has a tiny "go" in it). So I removed the Go one (that I sideloaded a long time ago) and rebooted. Guess I wait and see.
Well, with WatchMaker face and AOD on, wifi off, and *NO* interaction with the screen all day at work, and NO notifications received, I lost 20% (if you believe the battery meter), so it is currently draining at around 2.6% per hour. So it seems somewhat better than before, but not great.

Battery stats report shows AOD 10.8%, Display 1.5% (how are those two different?), and 4 other misc at 0.3% with Assistant not listed at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok. That's what I thought although having assistant and browser on the watch could easily lead to reading assistant search results entirely on the watch.
    Hope they make that available in an update.

TURN LOCATION OFF AND NFC OFF WHEN NOT USING!! Also, unless you use the wrist gestures turn them all off. Get rid of all the apps that sounded cool but you don't actually use.
    Great to hear. One thing I learned is that all the apps that people side load and literally never use all contribute to poor battery life. Especially sideloaded apps due to their tendency to drain power in the background since they were designed for devices that always keep the app in memory even after you close it.

Lastly, close all your apps frequently! If you tap on recent apps (I have it set to my double button press), it'll show you all the apps presently running in the background. If you scroll all the way to the left, you'll see the option to close all. Do that after you've used several apps or at least at the end of the day. If you're experiencing high battery drain or poor performance, this is the first thing that should be done. After you open an app, it'll remain in the background until you do this or power cycle (not sure if power cycling will even close apps running in memory or cached memory). It's a poor design and should offer an option to close apps immediately upon exiting, but they don't to keep that spyware rolling. On that note, I recommend using ADB to DISABLE (NOT UNINSTALL which I highly recommend against.. uninstalling watch faces with ADB is ok!) customization service and continuity service. They offer nothing of value aside from some Samsung internet syncing that further increases battery drain. I doubt most people use Samsung internet in their phone anyways. It checks location frequently too like most Samsung bloat ware... You'd be amazed. Once I disabled all that bloatware on my watch AND phone, my battery life practically doubled for both.
    I have searched thread but haven't found a post about this :
    Is it possible to open link on a browser on the watch instead of necessarily looking on the phone for a search ?
    With Assistant? No. Assistant will say/show some results and answers. It will just show parts of others with a link. Clicking on a link opens it on the phone, even if you sideloaded a browser on the watch (like I did).
    Update your Galaxy Wear app and then go to Play Store on your GW4. Select My Apps and update Assistant. Then go to Watch Settings and set your default assistant app to Google Assistant. Thennnnn, you'll find the GA icon as a launchable app or you can set your press and hold button to Google Assistant to launch it that way and begin activation. Activation requires connection between your watch and phone to link GA. Activation will ask if you want to use personal results and voice match on your watch. Done.

GA can be launched using voice or hardware keys. To customize GA settings, Go into watch settings or Wear app on phone. Look for the Google settings (it has its own submenu) where your Google account info is located. There's a new setting available for GA there to customize Hey Google and other GA specific settings.

Turning off Hey Google significantly reduced battery drain I noticed. With the GW4, one day of battery life is the best we can hope for and that's not including sleep. If you want to make it throughout the day, you can have either Health sensors going off continuously or Hey Google on. Not both or you'll never make it. If you want to make it a whole day, including overnight, disable both.

Other battery saving tips:
    -Turn off "Improve Accuracy" under watch location settings. It's worthless and burns battery.
    -Turn off frequent syncing for samsung health steps data. Tap on steps on your phone. Tap 3 dots in top right corner. You'll see frequent syncing. Unless you actively track your steps religiously, this is an unnecessary battery burner. The level of accuracy you get without it is fine for most people.
    -Turn off notifications on watch you don't care about. Every time a notification from your phone turns on your watch screen, you're burning battery. Indicidual Notifications can be turned off just for watch.
    -Turn NFC off until you're ready to use it. The Google or Samsung Pay app will prompt you to turn it on so why leave it on all the time?
    -If you don't actively use your tiles, get rid of them. Unnecessary battery burners.
    -Make sure you limit location permissions. Very few Apps actually need location "All The Time".
    -Turn off background app usage from Wear App on Phone.
    -Make sure Mobile Network and WiFi are set to automatic. Biggest way to burn through those charges is with a mobile network you're not using actively.
    -Turn on Mobile Battery Saver in Developer Options.
    -Unless you actually use the quick launch gesture, turn it off.
    -Turn off Customization Service. Another worthless Samsung Spyware Tracker that offers nothing of value other than selling your personal information for ad relevance.
    Update your wear app and then go to play store on your GW4. Select My Apps and update Assistant. Then go to Watch Settings and set your default assistant app to Google Assistant. Thennnnn, you'll find the GA icon as a launchable app. Launch it to activate assistant. Thats it! Enjoy.
    you may wanna change that to "general" or even a "how to"
    Anyone else have this issue with GA on the Watch 4:

My watch is connected to my phone. My phone is bluetooth hooked to my car and my watch. if i ask my watch to "Next song" in the car, the watch says it does not play anything or "i cant play anything on this device".
    The same issue when i'm connected to a bluetooth speaker and try to next song with my watch.
    Im running a bluetooth one 40 mm with spotify on the watch and on my phone.
    Ok. That's what I thought although having assistant and browser on the watch could easily lead to reading assistant search results entirely on the watch.
    Hope they make that available in an update.
    Some Google Assistant screenshots , on Watch 4 , for any forum member's information ,that does not have it installed or available and wants to see pic's
    Good luck