• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[OFFICIAL][GUIDE] Starting with Substratum! - Andromeda, Samsung, Pie & OMS!

Search This thread

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
So substratum doesn't work on Oneui 3.1??
No, not until synergy and substratum are updated by the OP. Evidently they don't want OneUi 3.0 or 3.1 because I'm pretty sure anyone that wants has the ability to get it. I lost a lot of substratum themes from the play store because the dev's didn't want to update their phones and looks like that's what is happening here too.

thepersona

Nov 9, 2018
Google Pixel 4 XL
Sony Xperia 5 II
It's a shame that nobody has yet to figure out how to get this to work for unrooted devices running Android 11 and up. Maybe the limitation Google implemented with the hardware overlays being restricted might interfere but it's just a damn shame there's no universal theming method like this or at least I didn't experience anything like this since the last time I used it with Android oreo.

I personally prefer hex+. Unlike substrate him that one is permanent less of a hassle when it comes to compiling the themes and it's much more foolproof and doesn't risk anything for your device. Unfortunately that's only Samsung based so out of luck for non Samsung users.

Sometimes I wish there was a truly foolproof method to rooting devices specifically my Sony Xperia 5 Mark 2 but even then there are limitations while the method may be foolproof nine times out of 10 they're reliant on PCS as opposed to helping Mac users, I don't know I felt like ranting. Rant over LOL just needed to get that off my chest, regardless of my not being able to access this I am glad that it exists and hopefully it acts as a stepping stone for further development to eventually get a rootless option at some point maybe with the new Android 12 update who knows

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
It's a shame that nobody has yet to figure out how to get this to work for unrooted devices running Android 11 and up. Maybe the limitation Google implemented with the hardware overlays being restricted might interfere but it's just a damn shame there's no universal theming method like this or at least I didn't experience anything like this since the last time I used it with Android oreo.

I personally prefer hex+. Unlike substrate him that one is permanent less of a hassle when it comes to compiling the themes and it's much more foolproof and doesn't risk anything for your device. Unfortunately that's only Samsung based so out of luck for non Samsung users.

Sometimes I wish there was a truly foolproof method to rooting devices specifically my Sony Xperia 5 Mark 2 but even then there are limitations while the method may be foolproof nine times out of 10 they're reliant on PCS as opposed to helping Mac users, I don't know I felt like ranting. Rant over LOL just needed to get that off my chest, regardless of my not being able to access this I am glad that it exists and hopefully it acts as a stepping stone for further development to eventually get a rootless option at some point maybe with the new Android 12 update who knows
I feel the same way, the dev has left us in the dark. It would be nice if he would respond and let us know what's going on.

zeruka

Jun 3, 2021
I feel the same way, the dev has left us in the dark. It would be nice if he would respond and let us know what's going on.

Regarding Synergy.

I was reading through some of the discussions surrounding this topic. It may or may not be of interest, but a user on this theme thread mentioned that there will apparently be an update soon: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/bobcatrom-style-samsung-themes.3387307/page-49

Yeah. I was looking into this too when it wouldn't work on my One UI 3.1 phone either. Personally I prefer the variety of the Substratum themes. I like HEX, but I find that almost all the heavy customisation plugins are neon 80s styled cyberpunkish blue-pink high contrast amoled dance parties. Haha. So they all look somewhat the same to me.. and that's fine! but personally a bit of variety would be nice.. And to each their own, of course. 😅
And yeah, I get there's only so much you can milk out of manipulating the exploits of the official theme software. Still, I'm keen to have a play around with Synergy. Hopefully something comes up soon. :)

Reactions: ggrant3876

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-052246_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-052246_Google Play Store.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 14

seanskiT!

Feb 27, 2013
Winston-Salem, NC
Tried it again, even cleared data, still no update.
That is odd. Try uninstalling synergy from your phone, reboot and try again. If that doesn't work then the only thing I can think of is that Google hasn't let it out fully.

Looking at the synergy telegram group, it isn't out fully across playstore. Also if you would join the telegram group you would get a lot more info.

Reactions: ggrant3876

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I don't have the update on the Play Store as of yet, but does this enable Substratum themes for an unrooted S21?
Yes, it should but the process has changed.

ATTENTION:
with update to version 0.90 Synergy now works but works differently, download the "Shizuku" app and follow the on-screen instructions during installation,you will need a computer with ADB (https://kutt.it/SetupADB) to do a setup process every time you reboot your device. "Shizuku setup" is also supported for setup without computer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's get ready and theme devices with Substratum!

Hey there! I'm Abhijeet, Substratum's Public Relations and Community Connections Manager, writing this noob-friendly guide so that you can easily theme your device.
    Here is the full official guide on using Substratum and some important recovery methods for various situations.

Theme Engine Support:

Table of Contents
    1. Theming AOSP [ROOT]
    2. Using Profiles
    3. Theming Rootless AOSP with Andromeda
    4. Theming Rootless Samsung with Andromeda (Sungstromeda)
    5. Recovering from various situations
    6. Different colors for overlays in Manager
    7. Theming Android Pie [ROOT]
    8. Theming Samsung OneUI devices using Synergy theme engine

Please do note, this IS for beginners, so I'll try and respond to errors and problems only if and when you have read and followed the whole thread. I'll be going over the BASICS of getting started to theme.

If you're still facing errors, please head over to our support chats hub - Substratum on Telegram

Contributors:
    @nicholaschum
    @InFlames03
    @djdarkknight96
    Mihail Mihov
    Theming Android Pie [ROOT]

Theming Android Pie:

• Use the latest version of Substratum.
    • Make sure the theme you're using supports Pie.
    • Select the overlays you wish to install
    • Select Build & Update from the FAB
    • Reboot your device
    • Open Substratum and go to Manager
    • Select the overlays you built earlier
    • Enable selected from the FAB
    Requirements:
    Rooted device running on Android Pie.

NOTE:
    • You'll not be able to apply themes on non-rooted Android Pie because Google blocked custom overlays since March Security patch.
    • DO NOT install Andromeda or you won't be able to proceed after the splash screen.
    • If you're using any magisk module(s), disable module(s) and reboot, build overlays, enable magisk module followed by another reboot and enable overlays.
    Theming Samsung OneUI using Synergy theme engine

Theming Samsung OneUI using Synergy:
    • Download and install Synergy and Substratum Lite apps from Play Store
    • Open Synergy and tap on Add overlays » Select Substratum Lite
    • From Substratum Lite app select supported OneUI Theme and select overlays.
    • Click on the FAB and select Install
    • After it is imported to Synergy, tap on the FAB and it'll prompt you to download a Samsung theme. Tap ‘Download’ and switch to Synergy and build follow the procedure to install the overlays.
    • After the building of overlays is complete, reboot your phone.
    • Open Samsung themes select the theme that install from Synergy and apply.
    • Some of the themes require dark mode for theme to work properly. For that go back to Synergy > Menu > Dark mode settings and enable it.
    • Reboot your device again.
    • Enjoy the theme!
    Recovering from various situations:

Recovering from various situations:

Crashes occurring due to wrongly applied overlays:
    • Open Substratum
    • Go to Manager
    • Select the app overlay
    • Tap the floating action button and select Disable selected
    NOTE: If you apply more than 1 overlay on the same target, your device/System UI may crash.
    In another case, you will either have to update the theme or the app that you wish to theme.

System bootloop; How to regain control?

Unrooted users:
    • Open the folder where you have all the Andromeda files and open a command prompt there
    • Connect your device to your computer
    • Write adb devices and make sure your device shows up there (it’ll show a string of random characters), then device after that
    • NOTE: If your device doesn’t show up make sure you have your OEM’s drivers installed
    • Type adb shell cmd overlay list and this will show you all your installed overlays. The ones with [x] in front are enabled.
    • The problematic overlays will be SystemUI (com.android.systemui.<ThemeName>...) and Android System (android.<ThemeName>...) overlays. You can disable them with adb shell cmd overlay disable <package name of the overlay>

NOTE: If you are a Substratum service (aka Sysserv) mode unrooted user you will have to download ADB and your OEM’s drivers and do the same as Andromeda users from step 2.

Rooted users with access to a custom recovery:
    • Boot into your custom recovery
    • Flash the zip located at sdcard/substratum/SubstratumRescue.zip
    • This will disable all your overlays and prevent from bootloop
    Theming AOSP [ROOT]

Theming AOSP [ROOT]

• Open the Substratum App
    • Select the theme you wish to apply
    • Select your Android version from the dropdown list
    • Select the overlays you want to apply
    • Tap the floating action button in the bottom right corner and select Build and Enable

NOTE: If you are on the March 2018 security patch (or newer) you will have to do the following:
    • Tap Build & Update (this will not enable overlays, just build them)
    • Reboot your device
    • Go to the Manager, select the overlays, and tap Enable Selected
    • After your overlays are enabled, your SystemUI will restart