• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Official Idol 3 Battery Thread

Search This thread

JJ2525

Sep 29, 2012
I figured we could get this started, so we can start to post stats and screenshots once you finish initial setup/installation and get into regular daily use.

vk135

Feb 21, 2013
The phone arrived at around 40-45%. Spent around 2 hrs updating/installing/customizing stuff which was enough to drop the battery to 15%. Mind you that almost all factory settings were still there like vibrate on almost everything and sound on almost everything. Battery was fully charged rather quickly. I had around an hour of SoT before going to bed with around 80-75%. I woke up to a 70% battery after 10 hrs ( I slept in).

I think battery on mine could be improved by turning down the Google Now settings. It is the most power hungry in the battery stats at 9%. Oddly, the location icon is almost always on even if I'm not doing any location related tasks. I'm hoping to look into this more and fully test the battery tomorrow when I go to Sta. Cruz.

lordlittlebrooks

Jan 17, 2011
New York City
The Idol 3 just won't die! I'm using it around the house. Haven't actually put a sim card in it yet, so that might explain some of the great battery life that I've been getting. But this is the first full power cycle after getting it on Saturday. Auto brightness, full sync. I had to stop at 11% so I could do a charge test today. But I have no doubt that this 11% could have gotten me another hour of screen on time. Tons of streaming Sirius too over the front facing speakers (like 5 hours). Very impressed so far. The price is justified by the screen and the speakers alone in my opinion. Add great battery life to the mix and it's a pretty special device IMO.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-25-15-10-10.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-25-15-10-10.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 3,365
  • Screenshot_2015-05-25-15-10-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-25-15-10-15.png
    88 KB · Views: 3,325
  • Screenshot_2015-05-25-15-10-24.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-25-15-10-24.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 3,291
Reactions: huntnyc

lordlittlebrooks

Jan 17, 2011
New York City
Charging time is done. Used an Anker 2.0 Quick Charge (just to make sure it got the maximum it could handle). Went from 11% to 100% in 2 hours and 28 minutes. Not too shabby considering how long it holds on to the charge.

Attachments

• 20150525_212013378_iOS.jpg
    20150525_212013378_iOS.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 20150525_220041010_iOS.jpg
    20150525_220041010_iOS.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 2,123
  • 20150525_220450640_iOS.jpg
    20150525_220450640_iOS.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 2,119
Reactions: py_martinez

czaplin

Oct 7, 2008
Chicago
Bettery drain while on wifi

Hi, I have bad battery drain while on wifi. What I noticed is that cell signal goes from empty to full while unlocking screen. It goes up to 10% per hour. But when I was away from home for few hours on lte, it was very minimal. Any ideas? Software bug or maybe some app is causing that? Thanks!

lordlittlebrooks

Jan 17, 2011
New York City
Hi, I have bad battery drain while on wifi. What I noticed is that cell signal goes from empty to full while unlocking screen. It goes up to 10% per hour. But when I was away from home for few hours on lte, it was very minimal. Any ideas? Software bug or maybe some app is causing that? Thanks!

Did you do the update that appeared as soon as you turned it on out of the box? I had the phone on wifi all weekend (it never left the house) and the battery life was amazing. See my posts above. And I did the update first thing when I got mine.

czaplin

Oct 7, 2008
Chicago
Did you do the update that appeared as soon as you turned it on out of the box? I had the phone on wifi all weekend (it never left the house) and the battery life was amazing. See my posts above. And I did the update first thing when I got mine.

Yeah, that's the first thing I did. Today I'm on LTE all day long and battery is amazing. But when on Wi-Fi my cell signal goes to emergency back and forth. Maybe my phone is a lemon :)

Sent from my 6045I using XDA Free mobile app

Shodan5150

Dec 1, 2006
Anaheim
I should have checked the battery life before loading all my apps but I forgot. During sleep hours I only have the wifi, auto sync and phone antenna enabled. I also either use the adaptive brighness at 50% or have the brightness set to about 20% with adaptive disabled. The first night I checked the battery overnight usage it was down 16% in 10 hours. That was also runny 3 apps on the notification area. The drain comes to 1.6% per hour. The next night I removed the 3 apps that run in the notification area and the drain was 10% in 8 hours, which comes to 1.25% per hour. That's better than my old phone but I still think it's too high. No apps are open in the recent apps screen.

Is anyone getting better or worse? I would like to compare my battery drain with everyone else.

Edit: I did disable Wifi Network Notification and Scanning Always Available. I'm not sure what kind of effect they have on the battery though.

Last edited:

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
Yeah, that's the first thing I did. Today I'm on LTE all day long and battery is amazing. But when on Wi-Fi my cell signal goes to emergency back and forth. Maybe my phone is a lemon :)

Sent from my 6045I using XDA Free mobile app

Did you wipe your cache after the OTA update? I remember my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 had temporary issues with battery life that were cleared up by a wiped cache/factory reset.

py_martinez

May 22, 2012
TOULON
Xiaomi Mi 10
It didn't work. That's too serious issue for me. Sending back to amazon. I'll stay with my G3 and 6000mAh battery. Waiting for G4 price drop :)
I have the HTC m8 and g3, had the m9...

I think you have a problem with Google apps...Because with the m8 I had 7 hours screen on time in 24 hours, 6 hours with the m9, 5 hours with the g3...
And every reviewer criticizes the bad battery life of the g3 vs the very good battery life of the idol[emoji2]

HTC m8 s on + insertcoin

mikeisgo

Nov 30, 2011
Yesterday was my first battery experience day. I have to say it turned out pretty good. I got roughly 16hrs from 100% charge down to 15% charge. I got a battery warning when i was headed to bed. Throughout the day, here's a list of the things I did in general to give a scope on usage:

* I had all services on, LTE, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS (High precision)
* i used it to read a kindle book. I had my screen set at about 80% brightness the whole day.
* I have "Automatic" app which uses the phone GPS to track my drives to and From work.
* I ran with Runkeeper GPS
* also streamed music to and from work on my wohle commute (roughly 45 minutes).
* Then throughout the day did normal checking of various apps and websites, and notifications.
* In general during the work day I don't use it much from 9-5, except maybe to check it once an hour , and read a little.

Previously on my Nexus 4, I would have had to have it charging all the way to work. Then charging all the way home, and many times it wouldn't make it to bed time without another charge. With the Idol 3, i didn't put it on a charger once throughout the whole day. Pretty awesome.

maddog497

Jul 18, 2009
This is my second full day. I expect that it will improve after a few cycles but I have absolutely nothing to complain about. WiFi on most of the day. 2 Gmail accounts syncing, Bluetooth on, display only at 50%, (not to save battery, but just because I don't need it any higher)

I have a few small hiccups with the DTTW but it isn't terrible.

P.S. This blows away my Zenfone 2 in battery life.

uploadfromtaptalk1433377225442.png

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
Battery life is ridiculously good. Charging my phone is no longer a pressing issue for me nowadays. Personally, I am indoors most of the day so I have set my screen brightness to 0% and it is perfectly fine. When I am outdoors, I will pump up the brightness to 100% which increases the battery consumption noticeably.

I've had the phone for a week and a half and still have never gotten down low enough for Battery Saver mode to kick in.

guru_bhai

Jun 3, 2015
For me battery hold amount of charge EOD.

100% in morning around 10 AM.

1. wifi/4g ON all the time.
2. GPS during commute to work and vice-versa
3. Music app for 1.5-2 hrs.
4. played game for 2 hrs.
5. normal browsing.

Now @ 7 PM : still 45% left.

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
For those still unhappy with the battery life here are a few free apps that can help:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gpo.greenpower&hl=en [ Battery saver...does things like only keep wifi on periodically to check for hotspots and only turn on bluetooth when charging etc ]

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vitocassisi.luxlite&hl=en [ Adjust screen brightness based on light levels ]

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keyes.screebl.classic [ Keeps screen on when phone is held in upright position but quickly turns screen off when phone is placed flat ]

I use the pay versions of these and consider them worthwhile.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday was my first battery experience day. I have to say it turned out pretty good. I got roughly 16hrs from 100% charge down to 15% charge. I got a battery warning when i was headed to bed. Throughout the day, here's a list of the things I did in general to give a scope on usage:

* I had all services on, LTE, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS (High precision)
    * i used it to read a kindle book. I had my screen set at about 80% brightness the whole day.
    * I have "Automatic" app which uses the phone GPS to track my drives to and From work.
    * I ran with Runkeeper GPS
    * also streamed music to and from work on my wohle commute (roughly 45 minutes).
    * Then throughout the day did normal checking of various apps and websites, and notifications.
    * In general during the work day I don't use it much from 9-5, except maybe to check it once an hour , and read a little.

Previously on my Nexus 4, I would have had to have it charging all the way to work. Then charging all the way home, and many times it wouldn't make it to bed time without another charge. With the Idol 3, i didn't put it on a charger once throughout the whole day. Pretty awesome.
    new in idol 3

Anyone got any solution to the battery drain?

well mate 1st have a good year .
    now to the point i take my idol 3 (4) days ago. i let it 2 days to see how the battery goes with stock staff,its good i take about 4hours on screen,
    but we all khow that lolipop kills the cells of battery so today i make i calibration to my battery with classic no root application
    BATTERY LIFE REPAIR form play store.(i khow how to root a phone etc but i dont want to do that in my fresh idol 3 )
    at this point ho we talk the battery is 66%"always my wifi/and 3gdata is open" with a lot on screen heavy use (i play ingress game,this game kill the battery very fast,Check it in you tube)so i leave the battery to end it tomorrow and after i will report the results.
    P.s1 sry for my english
    p.s2 always when you calibrete a battery leave the phone to close from battery and charge it closed.i dont khow way but always brings better
    results.:good:
    and the last part to have a good battery life is to root your device and download some root apps like greenify etc,with this way you can see and you can cotrol all the apps ho drain battery fast.
    take some screen images
    It might be redundant, but I cleared my cache before doing my factory reset. Also, I wiped my cache and performed the factory reset via Recovery Mode instead of the Settings option.

I just wanted to record a conclusion to my battery drain issues during phone idle. They were directly related to cell signal. If cell signal was poor the battery would drain at five percent per hour or more when the phone was not used. This was because, I assume, the phone was working trying to get a signal. You could see a strong correlation between cell signal and battery life in the battery graph.

The fix I used, which works well, is switching preferred network mode from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to just WCDMA/GSM. In LTE/WCDMA/GSM mode, the cell radio is doing a lot of work apparently, even if LTE data is not turned on. My cell signal is much better wherever I am located and the phone loses almost no battery at idle. If I need LTE I switch modes temporarily. For reference I am in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA using AT&T on Straight Talk.

I hope this helps someone.
    Can anyone provide me an info or screenshot in ampere or any other battery measuring app, of charging rate in mha on stock(original) charger and usb that came with the phone ?

Mine recently stopped working so i swiched to unbranded one and now it charges from 750 to 920mha, so I would like to compare.
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c57aa5b61df/Screenshot_20170312-174131.png?

Sent from my 6045K using Tapatalk
    Screenshot_20170312-182414.png

Sent from my 6045Y using Tapatalk
    Charging time is done. Used an Anker 2.0 Quick Charge (just to make sure it got the maximum it could handle). Went from 11% to 100% in 2 hours and 28 minutes. Not too shabby considering how long it holds on to the charge.