• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Official Idol 3 Battery Thread

Search This thread

xda-soar

Jan 30, 2012
Pennsylvania
It might be redundant, but I cleared my cache before doing my factory reset. Also, I wiped my cache and performed the factory reset via Recovery Mode instead of the Settings option.

I just wanted to record a conclusion to my battery drain issues during phone idle. They were directly related to cell signal. If cell signal was poor the battery would drain at five percent per hour or more when the phone was not used. This was because, I assume, the phone was working trying to get a signal. You could see a strong correlation between cell signal and battery life in the battery graph.

The fix I used, which works well, is switching preferred network mode from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to just WCDMA/GSM. In LTE/WCDMA/GSM mode, the cell radio is doing a lot of work apparently, even if LTE data is not turned on. My cell signal is much better wherever I am located and the phone loses almost no battery at idle. If I need LTE I switch modes temporarily. For reference I am in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA using AT&T on Straight Talk.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

Muskoka

Apr 17, 2011
Muskoka
I just wanted to record a conclusion to my battery drain issues during phone idle. They were directly related to cell signal. If cell signal was poor the battery would drain at five percent per hour or more when the phone was not used. This was because, I assume, the phone was working trying to get a signal. You could see a strong correlation between cell signal and battery life in the battery graph.

The fix I used, which works well, is switching preferred network mode from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to just WCDMA/GSM. In LTE/WCDMA/GSM mode, the cell radio is doing a lot of work apparently, even if LTE data is not turned on. My cell signal is much better wherever I am located and the phone loses almost no battery at idle. If I need LTE I switch modes temporarily. For reference I am in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA using AT&T on Straight Talk.

This has been a known issue for a few years now. When we first got LTE in our area we all switched thinking it was going to be great. Well, all it did was suck the life out of our batteries. We then noticed that the signal on LTE was less than half of what we were used to getting on WCDMA. So we switched back to WCDMA and life was good again, and you can hardly notice the speed difference. Perhaps in areas where LTE coverage is great you may notice an increase in speed, but where I live we don't, so WCDMA is all we use. Funny when someone gets a new phone and they complain about the battery, sure enough the phone is set to get LTE, tell them to make the switch to WCDMA and the problem is solved.

Reactions: macallik

pmantalias

Oct 25, 2015
Battery problem

Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct thread to post but eitherway. Last night I charged my idol 3 and the morning i left for work, i putted my phone in bag with neither Wi-Fi not cellular data on, brightness on minimum and so on, and when i woke it up after 8 hours battery was on 22%. This happened first time after 2 months of mobile usage. Usually battery was around 85% after 8 hours of "sleep". When i cheched battery for information i noticed that it was running "Android OS" and "Android system". Any help ?!

Karly Johnston

Sep 19, 2014
Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct thread to post but eitherway. Last night I charged my idol 3 and the morning i left for work, i putted my phone in bag with neither Wi-Fi not cellular data on, brightness on minimum and so on, and when i woke it up after 8 hours battery was on 22%. This happened first time after 2 months of mobile usage. Usually battery was around 85% after 8 hours of "sleep". When i cheched battery for information i noticed that it was running "Android OS" and "Android system". Any help ?!

Same thing happens to me on WiFi, it is always awake unless I switch to mobile data. I went as far as factory reset and it still does it with just stock apps. If no fix is found I will be selling it soon.

Last edited:

macallik

Jul 20, 2013

Did this 100% resolve your issue or did you still encounter problems after the fact?

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
Do any of guys have battery drain from google services and android system? Its been decreasing the battery life more than usual.

Last night I got battery drop from 40% to 7% while the phone was sitting on my desk for 8 hours. LTE was enabled. Maybe this is the problem.

I also think there is a correlation between poor LTE signal (as per the battery graph section) and battery drain for me. It was happening in my house and at work. Both are dead-zones. I've dropped down to H+ the last few days to get +24 hour battery life again. If anyone has any permanent solutions, or has reached out to Alcatel, please let me know.

bromoxitos

Jun 20, 2014
evia island
new in idol 3

Anyone got any solution to the battery drain?

well mate 1st have a good year .
now to the point i take my idol 3 (4) days ago. i let it 2 days to see how the battery goes with stock staff,its good i take about 4hours on screen,
but we all khow that lolipop kills the cells of battery so today i make i calibration to my battery with classic no root application
BATTERY LIFE REPAIR form play store.(i khow how to root a phone etc but i dont want to do that in my fresh idol 3 )
at this point ho we talk the battery is 66%"always my wifi/and 3gdata is open" with a lot on screen heavy use (i play ingress game,this game kill the battery very fast,Check it in you tube)so i leave the battery to end it tomorrow and after i will report the results.
P.s1 sry for my english
p.s2 always when you calibrete a battery leave the phone to close from battery and charge it closed.i dont khow way but always brings better
results.:good:
and the last part to have a good battery life is to root your device and download some root apps like greenify etc,with this way you can see and you can cotrol all the apps ho drain battery fast.
take some screen images

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-28-14.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-28-14.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 423
  • Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-29-39.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-29-39.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 407
  • Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-28-19.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-28-19.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 421
  • Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-29-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-29-22.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 407
Reactions: tomgv and macallik

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
now to the point i take my idol 3 (4) days ago. i let it 2 days to see how the battery goes with stock staff,its good i take about 4hours on screen,
but we all khow that lolipop kills the cells of battery so today i make i calibration to my battery with classic no root application
BATTERY LIFE REPAIR form play store.(i khow how to root a phone etc but i dont want to do that in my fresh idol 3 )
at this point ho we talk the battery is 66%"always my wifi/and 3gdata is open" with a lot on screen heavy use (i play ingress game,this game kill the battery very fast,Check it in you tube)so i leave the battery to end it tomorrow and after i will report the results.
P.s1 sry for my english
p.s2 always when you calibrete a battery leave the phone to close from battery and charge it closed.i dont khow way but always brings better
and the last part to have a good battery life is to root your device and download some root apps like greenify etc,with this way you can see and you can cotrol all the apps ho drain battery fast.
take some screen images

Thanks. Yeah I think I am going to root my phone one day and see if that along with greenify solves the issue.

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
I don't want to jinx myself but the latest update appears to have resolved my issue. I've noticed a few things:

1.) When I completed the update and rebooted my phone, it said that the majority of my batter was consumed by 'Cell Standby'. Normally, when my phone was having issues and stuck in 'stay awake' mode, it would be categorized as 'Android OS' consuming the battery. Is it possible that the phone was misdiagnosing the cause of the battery drain?

2.) The phone shows signal strength being stronger recently. In areas that I would be connected to LTE but have 0 bars, I now am connected to LTE with 3-5 bars.

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
I don't want to jinx myself but the latest update appears to have resolved my issue. I've noticed a few things:

1.) When I completed the update and rebooted my phone, it said that the majority of my batter was consumed by 'Cell Standby'. Normally, when my phone was having issues and stuck in 'stay awake' mode, it would be categorized as 'Android OS' consuming the battery. Is it possible that the phone was misdiagnosing the cause of the battery drain?

2.) The phone shows signal strength being stronger recently. In areas that I would be connected to LTE but have 0 bars, I now am connected to LTE with 3-5 bars.

Consistently getting 1.5-2 days of battery per recharge. Definitely was sucky for the 2-3 months that my phone was draining like that but everything is resolved finally.

mrcorey

Mar 12, 2012
So, I tried from full charge to 5% with no battery saving modifications and even with the battery hogging Facebook app. About 3.5 hours screen in time and a few hours of listening to podcasts and some game play (into the dead).

I got just short of 2 full days. Seems good.

Sent from my 6045I using XDA Free mobile app

dennygreen

Mar 12, 2013
This is a few days ago, mostly on LTE, including a couple hours of Netflix on LTE.

e14becc95f3427b9210253531eb5551b.jpg

And here's after my normal workday which includes podcasts/music all day. A lot of times my G3 would be down to as low as 15% with just a little bit more screen time by this time.

19606bb7052062edd16735ad014778d2.jpg

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Well, 6 months later and my battery life is nowhere near this good anymore. I wonder what happened.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday was my first battery experience day. I have to say it turned out pretty good. I got roughly 16hrs from 100% charge down to 15% charge. I got a battery warning when i was headed to bed. Throughout the day, here's a list of the things I did in general to give a scope on usage:

* I had all services on, LTE, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS (High precision)
    * i used it to read a kindle book. I had my screen set at about 80% brightness the whole day.
    * I have "Automatic" app which uses the phone GPS to track my drives to and From work.
    * I ran with Runkeeper GPS
    * also streamed music to and from work on my wohle commute (roughly 45 minutes).
    * Then throughout the day did normal checking of various apps and websites, and notifications.
    * In general during the work day I don't use it much from 9-5, except maybe to check it once an hour , and read a little.

Previously on my Nexus 4, I would have had to have it charging all the way to work. Then charging all the way home, and many times it wouldn't make it to bed time without another charge. With the Idol 3, i didn't put it on a charger once throughout the whole day. Pretty awesome.
    new in idol 3

P.s1 sry for my english
    take some screen images
    It might be redundant, but I cleared my cache before doing my factory reset. Also, I wiped my cache and performed the factory reset via Recovery Mode instead of the Settings option.

Can anyone provide me an info or screenshot in ampere or any other battery measuring app, of charging rate in mha on stock(original) charger and usb that came with the phone ?

Mine recently stopped working so i swiched to unbranded one and now it charges from 750 to 920mha, so I would like to compare.
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c57aa5b61df/Screenshot_20170312-174131.png?

Sent from my 6045K using Tapatalk
    Screenshot_20170312-182414.png

Sent from my 6045Y using Tapatalk
    Charging time is done. Used an Anker 2.0 Quick Charge (just to make sure it got the maximum it could handle). Went from 11% to 100% in 2 hours and 28 minutes. Not too shabby considering how long it holds on to the charge.