Official Idol 3 Battery Thread

Search This thread

toni1409

Sep 8, 2015
I don't see 'Network Operators' under Mobile Networks. I see Access Point Names and I am using the tfdata one for Straight Talk. I also heard if you choose 'WCDMA Only' for 'Preferred network mode' that cell reception will be better.
Toni, what country are you in?

That was in US. Now I am in Europe with different sim card, I wonder if the menu has changed.

xda-soar

Jan 30, 2012
Pennsylvania
That was in US. Now I am in Europe with different sim card, I wonder if the menu has changed.
Thanks, yeah the menu is probably different in different countries.

I get poor reception with AT&T straight talk in Philadelphia and I think I am losing battery because the cell radio has to continually look for a signal. Maybe I will get a T-Mobile SIM from straight talk and try that.

I may also try another factory data reset and not install any apps and see if that works. Ugh, resets are a pain because I have to set everything up again.

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
Thanks, yeah the menu is probably different in different countries.

I get poor reception with AT&T straight talk in Philadelphia and I think I am losing battery because the cell radio has to continually look for a signal. Maybe I will get a T-Mobile SIM from straight talk and try that.

I may also try another factory data reset and not install any apps and see if that works. Ugh, resets are a pain because I have to set everything up again.

If you are rooted use Titanium Backup *root* to backup and restore your apps + app data.
If you are NOT rooted use Helium to backup and restore your apps + app data.

xda-soar

Jan 30, 2012
Pennsylvania
Still getting significant battery drain when phone is idle. Unplugged my charger at 100%, did not touch the phone for three hours and when I looked again it was at 78%. See attached screenshot. Just backed up my photos to Drive, about to fdr.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-12-18-53-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-12-18-53-12.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 311

andyadler

Jan 13, 2011
130c6da8a984291f286ebf64acd3cc53.jpg

5082b521582cff1fac2102a02ae08629.jpg

Granted, this is with low screen brightness and minimal video streaming. But still exceptional. Best of any phone I've owned.

Last edited:

kirplunk

Jun 12, 2015
Still getting significant battery drain when phone is idle. Unplugged my charger at 100%, did not touch the phone for three hours and when I looked again it was at 78%. See attached screenshot. Just backed up my photos to Drive, about to fdr.

i have add this build.prop tweak to my 6045i. if you are rooted you and are willing to take risks you might try this build.prop tweak to save battery, add this line to the end of the build.prop file. backup a copy of your build.prop file first and after adding the lines make sure the properties are set to rw- r- r-
research build.prop tweaks for lollipop for more info and tweaks.
#ADD LINE BELOW
pm.sleep_mode=1

Last edited:

toni1409

Sep 8, 2015

Sorry to hear that. I see on your screenshot that your phone is awake all the time. That why your battery goes fast.

xda-soar

Jan 30, 2012
Pennsylvania
Sorry to hear that. I see on your screenshot that your phone is awake all the time. That why your battery goes fast.
Thanks, yes it says my phone is awake and the screen is on though I am pretty sure the screen is not on although I am asleep and cannot really check. I did a factory data reset and did not install any apps and the problem is still here.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

130c6da8a984291f286ebf64acd3cc53.jpg

5082b521582cff1fac2102a02ae08629.jpg

Granted, this is with low screen brightness and minimal video streaming. But still exceptional. Best of any phone I've owned.

For me, it's not the SOT that is the problem, it is the idle time.

Attaching another screen shot after factory data reset with no apps installed. During that long down slope the phone was unused.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-13-20-51-23.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-13-20-51-23.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

toni1409

Sep 8, 2015
Thanks, yes it says my phone is awake and the screen is on though I am pretty sure the screen is not on although I am asleep and cannot really check. I did a factory data reset and did not install any apps and the problem is still here.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Attaching another screen shot after factory data reset with no apps installed. During that long down slope the phone was unused.

Try uninstalling twitter, facebook, whats up, flipboard one by one and check if the phone is still awake.

SWOLFER

Sep 10, 2015
Recife
I am wondering if the battery is better or worse with this last update.
Unfortunately, i didn't check that out, but usually i get 4 hours with screen-on time.
I've seen you guys sending pics with 7 hours and still with 15% left, how is that possible?

Also, is this phone Quick Charge enabled? I noticed the charger has an output of 5v/2A.

Nikola Jovanovic

Jul 4, 2012
Greenify with some features got me once 8h on st(1 or 2 pages before), without heavy tasking, bus usually I get 5+ h..

Sent from hell

macallik

Jul 20, 2013

It might be redundant, but I cleared my cache before doing my factory reset. Also, I wiped my cache and performed the factory reset via Recovery Mode instead of the Settings option.

Samueldevaz

Sep 16, 2015
Please help

Okay, so I have the 5.5 version.
I hear everybody talking about how great idol 3's battery is but mine is waaay far from good (I think). :confused:

So I have 4G or Wi-fi connected all the time as well as GPS with high precision, screen brightness is automatic, I watch a good amount of videos on YouTube and I play some games. I think I'm a heavy user. Well, as an example, yesterday I took the phone of charging at roughly 8-9am and proceeded to use the phone intensively, I had to charge the phone in the middle of the afternoon because I was running out of battery! Today for example, from 100% at 8:30pm it's now 11:30pm and I have 60% with 1h50min of screen on time.

Is this normal? Should I take my phone to the store?
Thanks in advance! :(

sjs87

Jan 17, 2012
I hear everybody talking about how great idol 3's battery is but mine is waaay far from good (I think). :confused:

So I have 4G or Wi-fi connected all the time as well as GPS with high precision, screen brightness is automatic, I watch a good amount of videos on YouTube and I play some games. I think I'm a heavy user. Well, as an example, yesterday I took the phone of charging at roughly 8-9am and proceeded to use the phone intensively, I had to charge the phone in the middle of the afternoon because I was running out of battery! Today for example, from 100% at 8:30pm it's now 11:30pm and I have 60% with 1h50min of screen on time.

From how you described your usage patterns, you can't really expect your battery to last through the entire day regardless of what phone you get. Even if you use battery saving apps/modules you can't expect much. With the majority of available wireless connections enabled all the time (especially GPS), auto brightness and your screen being on constantly, pushing the midrange gpu to its limits, a device with a non user replaceable battery is probably not your best option. Sounds like you need something with a zerolemon extended battery available.

As for me, I'm currently over 5 hours of sot on the current cycle and I still have 23% left. Phone is not rooted and pretty much mostly stock. I've just deleted a few apps I don't use (Facebook along with some others), WiFi is always on, auto sync is always off and I keep auto brightness but the slider is always at the minimum setting. If I remember to put it on the charger before bed it's off the charger at 5:30am and by 4 or 5 pm I usually have between 50% - 70% battery left which will also carry me through the night and the following work shift till I can get to a charger. Take in mind I do use my phone quite a bit throughout the day (YouTube, Web, camera, games for my daughter, etc.) but I'm not glued to it.

macallik

Jul 20, 2013

Location is something I rarely enable because of the effects it can have on battery life. If possible, I'd say to turn it off until you need it and/or instead of high powered GPS, use the least accurate one. Won't have too much of an effect on your Tinder matches lol.

Sent from my P01M using XDA Free mobile app

Jackaljl07

Sep 20, 2015
Since the last update the battery of my phone keeps draining. I used to be able to use my phone for 3 days but since the last update I can only use it for 1,5 days. The 'android system' and the 'andoroid operating system' are the most battery consuming apps.
Is there a solution for this?
I turned down google play apps and this helps a little but this makes my phone pretty useless.

I came to understand that it's impossible to go back to the previous version of Android? Do I have other possibilities? (Rooting? Is this difficult? Will this help me? I'm a complete android-noob)

My phone: Model: 6045Y
Android version: 5.0.2
Firmware version: 5.0.2-010 06

I'm really desperate! All help is welcome.

jarek7705

Sep 23, 2015
Since the last update the battery of my phone keeps draining. I used to be able to use my phone for 3 days but since the last update I can only use it for 1,5 days. The 'android system' and the 'andoroid operating system' are the most battery consuming apps.
Is there a solution for this?
I turned down google play apps and this helps a little but this makes my phone pretty useless.

I came to understand that it's impossible to go back to the previous version of Android? Do I have other possibilities? (Rooting? Is this difficult? Will this help me? I'm a complete android-noob)

My phone: Model: 6045Y
Android version: 5.0.2
Firmware version: 5.0.2-010 06

I'm really desperate! All help is welcome.

I have the exact same thing in the 6039H model. Since the last update the battery drops very quickly. Where can I find previous version of firmware and how to I upload to my phone?

amag3308

Dec 20, 2014
Do a factory reset guys. Latest update is perfect for me. Almost 3 days battery and 6+ hours screen on time for my one week old idol 3

Inviato dal mio 6045Y utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: huntnyc

jarek7705

Sep 23, 2015
Do a factory reset guys. Latest update is perfect for me. Almost 3 days battery and 6+ hours screen on time for my one week old idol 3

Back to factory settings made immediately after the update. Well, unfortunately it did not help. The battery is melting in the eyes. 10-minute Angry Birds 2 and 10% of battery life.
Do I somehow get back to version 5.0.2-010 05P ? I currently have a 5.0.2-010 06P with hard battery drain ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday was my first battery experience day. I have to say it turned out pretty good. I got roughly 16hrs from 100% charge down to 15% charge. I got a battery warning when i was headed to bed. Throughout the day, here's a list of the things I did in general to give a scope on usage:

* I had all services on, LTE, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS (High precision)
    * i used it to read a kindle book. I had my screen set at about 80% brightness the whole day.
    * I have "Automatic" app which uses the phone GPS to track my drives to and From work.
    * I ran with Runkeeper GPS
    * also streamed music to and from work on my wohle commute (roughly 45 minutes).
    * Then throughout the day did normal checking of various apps and websites, and notifications.
    * In general during the work day I don't use it much from 9-5, except maybe to check it once an hour , and read a little.

Previously on my Nexus 4, I would have had to have it charging all the way to work. Then charging all the way home, and many times it wouldn't make it to bed time without another charge. With the Idol 3, i didn't put it on a charger once throughout the whole day. Pretty awesome.
    new in idol 3

Anyone got any solution to the battery drain?

well mate 1st have a good year .
    now to the point i take my idol 3 (4) days ago. i let it 2 days to see how the battery goes with stock staff,its good i take about 4hours on screen,
    but we all khow that lolipop kills the cells of battery so today i make i calibration to my battery with classic no root application
    BATTERY LIFE REPAIR form play store.(i khow how to root a phone etc but i dont want to do that in my fresh idol 3 )
    at this point ho we talk the battery is 66%"always my wifi/and 3gdata is open" with a lot on screen heavy use (i play ingress game,this game kill the battery very fast,Check it in you tube)so i leave the battery to end it tomorrow and after i will report the results.
    P.s1 sry for my english
    p.s2 always when you calibrete a battery leave the phone to close from battery and charge it closed.i dont khow way but always brings better
    results.:good:
    and the last part to have a good battery life is to root your device and download some root apps like greenify etc,with this way you can see and you can cotrol all the apps ho drain battery fast.
    take some screen images
    It might be redundant, but I cleared my cache before doing my factory reset. Also, I wiped my cache and performed the factory reset via Recovery Mode instead of the Settings option.

I just wanted to record a conclusion to my battery drain issues during phone idle. They were directly related to cell signal. If cell signal was poor the battery would drain at five percent per hour or more when the phone was not used. This was because, I assume, the phone was working trying to get a signal. You could see a strong correlation between cell signal and battery life in the battery graph.

The fix I used, which works well, is switching preferred network mode from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to just WCDMA/GSM. In LTE/WCDMA/GSM mode, the cell radio is doing a lot of work apparently, even if LTE data is not turned on. My cell signal is much better wherever I am located and the phone loses almost no battery at idle. If I need LTE I switch modes temporarily. For reference I am in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA using AT&T on Straight Talk.

I hope this helps someone.
    Can anyone provide me an info or screenshot in ampere or any other battery measuring app, of charging rate in mha on stock(original) charger and usb that came with the phone ?

Mine recently stopped working so i swiched to unbranded one and now it charges from 750 to 920mha, so I would like to compare.
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c57aa5b61df/Screenshot_20170312-174131.png?

Sent from my 6045K using Tapatalk
    Screenshot_20170312-182414.png

Sent from my 6045Y using Tapatalk
    Charging time is done. Used an Anker 2.0 Quick Charge (just to make sure it got the maximum it could handle). Went from 11% to 100% in 2 hours and 28 minutes. Not too shabby considering how long it holds on to the charge.