[OFFICIAL] INDONESIA ROM ON A GLOBAL VARIANT/ FLASH CUSTOM PORT/ROM ON A REDMI NOTE 9 GLOBAL VARIANT

Search This thread

c.whoopee

Feb 13, 2017
WARNING: We are not responsible to any damage you might have done to your device. Always follow the instructions CAREFULLY.

This thread is about flashing custom roms properly on your Redmi Note 9, specifically Redmi 10x 4g (Merlin). Make sure you've backup everything (Files, Apps etc) since it includes wiping your entire internal storage.

PRE-REQUISITE:
1. MIFLASH TOOL: 2. XIAOMI UNSIGNED DRIVERS (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED):
Check this site first for more info about it:
3. SP FLASH TOOL (FOR BACKING UP THE IMEI):
For a clear instructions on backing up the IMEI:
4. ADB and Fastboot drivers:
5. MTK Drivers (Recommended)
6. Xiaomi Fastboot Rom (Indonesia version)
NOTE: Choose wisely since it requires one of the given fastboot roms to be installed for a specific reason:

a. Xiaomi Redmi note 9 Indonesia (ID) Fastboot ROM MIUI V12.0.1.0.QJOIDXM (Required for installing Custom Roms such as Pixel Experience, LIneageOS etc)
b. Xiaomi Redmi note 9 Indonesia (ID) Fastboot ROM MIUI V11.0.2.0.QJOIDXM (For installing ports by Communos such as ShapeshiftOS, Bliss etc.)
INSTRUCTIONS:
Flash Indonesian fastboot rom on a Global Variant via ADB and Miflash
  • Turn off phone and reboot to fastboot. Connect the said device to PC.
  • In PC, run cmd-here.exe in the adb directory and enter:
    • fastboot reboot fastboot
      //.(this will take you to fastbootD where you can access the "super" partition consisting of:
      • system.img
      • vendor.img
      • product.img ).//
    • fastboot erase system
    • fastboot erase vendor
    • fastboot reboot bootloader to enter bootloader
  • Make sure you backup the IMEI to ensure safety before flashing via SP Tools.
  • Download an Indonesian fastboot rom from source then flash it to phone via MIFlash. (Recommend: 12.0.1 or lower)
  • After flashing, reboot the device and viola, you've got an Indonesian version of the MIUI to your Global Variant Device.
Flashing TWRP on a Redmi Note 9
  • Download the said recovery from this link below
  • Reboot device to bootloader and connect to PC.
  • In PC, run adb and type
    • "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" (vbmeta from the indonesian fastboot rom, NOT from the Global fastboot rom)
    • "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
    • "fastboot reboot recovery"
    • After that, the recovery should be working.
FLASHING CUSTOM ROM (for 12.0.1.0) OR PORT (11.0.2.0)
  1. Flashing a Custom Port.
  • Then, connect phone to PC and copy your preferred rom to SDCard (Memory card is recommended).
  • Reboot your phone to recovery.
  • In TWRP, you have to wipe data, dalvik, cache and internal storage.
  • Select install and choose the rom from SDcard. Then, flash it.
  • Reboot your device.
Viola, you just installed a custom port or rom to your device.

Note: I will add more detail in the future but right now, if you have questions, please ask in this thread.

Special Thanks to:
@Communos
@VD171

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferelden

c.whoopee

Feb 13, 2017
[Q&A] [ Updated on 02-16-2021]

Q. My UI lags after I flashed these ports, what should I do?
A.
From Communos,
If your UI lags, place props_conf in internal storage,flash MagiskHide Props config module in magisk manager and reboot
Props conf link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g8B2DIsz-l7oDBYpUdi3dXUsEPU35H9s/view?usp=sharing

Q. Why do I need to flash these ports/ roms?
A.

From what I have seen, MIUI is very meticulous in secretly invading someone's privacy. This was said by @phhusson and @erfan that GSI Ports are more secure than MIUI.
Proof (Picture not mine, from twitter took by Communos)
Screenshot_2021-02-15-02-26-40-869_com.twitter.android.jpg

Last edited:

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
Thanks, man... So anything that I would add?
You can add the UI lag fix mentioned in the end of this post

Rhythm113

Feb 24, 2021
I booted into fastbootd then erased System , Vendor & Product then I booted to bootloader & flashed the Indonesia ROM Using Fastboot Then when I Reboot It stuck Into Bootlogo & Keeps Rebooting..

Note : I'm Still able to boot to Fastboot & Recovery

Help Pls..

Last edited:

Jhon_Locke

May 16, 2015
I booted into fastbootd then erased System , Vendor & Product then I booted to bootloader & flashed the Indonesia ROM Using Fastboot Then when I Reboot It stuck Into Bootlogo & Keeps Rebooting..

Note : I'm Still able to boot to Fastboot & Recovery

Help Pls..

did you fixed it?

0xSteeW

Feb 11, 2020
Nevermind, seems that TWRP implements user space fastboot (basically TWRP works as fastbootd when connected to the PC.
This can be verified with:
fastboot getvar is-userspace

MartectX

• Apr 26, 2021
    I second that: Link does not work; I tried TWRP for V11.0.4.0.QJOCNXM which is then stuck on bootscreen.

EDIT: Download working again and I just installed Lineage 18.1. Love you, guys!!

Last edited:

galaxyms

Sep 22, 2010
    Redmi Note 9
    Apologies for the newbie (to flashing redmi devices) question but I can't get SP Flash tool to back up the IMEI. Drivers are all on, but when you plug in the phone to the USB cable nothing is read back. Do I need to have unlocked the bootloader before this works? I'm still waiting for mine to be allowed

Top Liked Posts