Official LG G5 H850 Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread
Eventually I'm stuck in point 6) ...
while trying to unlock the device using "fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin", i get the following error message:

So apparently oem unlocking and usb debbuging is not allowed, because i never allowed it in the dev options.

My problem is that my h850 (european version) is stuck in the fastboot mode, and when trying to exit it with
"fastboot reboot" it just jumps right into fastboot again.

So i can't go into the dev options, because somehow the bootloader seams to be damaged, but i can't flash it either,
because the oem unlock is not allowed...

I'm new to the whole fastboot stuff, and new to xda developers, so if somebody has any clue or idea of what
the root of the problem is, or has a solution for the problem, i'd be more than happy!

~ A

I ve got file bin to unlock bootloader... "...NOT ALLOWED" . H850 v1.0 from amazon europe. I wrote to LG developers and tech and no answer at all.
Any Solution? The phone is working but bootloader is lock.

fbobraga

Aug 12, 2014
Trying to unlock the bootloader of a recently bought refurbished device (information of it below) via the LG’s official unlocking website leads me to an error:

"Device ID is unmatched. Please check your Device ID. If you see this message again, please contact your customer center. Your account will be locked if you enter the wrong Device ID more than 1 time."

How can I unlock the device? With device information I can verify if it is not "European"?

* my device information:

model: UK's Vodafone's LGH850.AVDFTN
IMEI: 357657071472837
device-id: F098F3288D56A2417FA2E578EFC28ABED9E07B2007B71BEC10641A737F8A59FE

Last edited:

DonTamlin

Oct 1, 2019
Just tried accessing the tool - it takes me to the main LG Devs page, cannot use it :/. Is it local problem or site is being taken down already?

wonzay

Nov 4, 2015
Just tried accessing the tool - it takes me to the main LG Devs page, cannot use it :/. Is it local problem or site is being taken down already?

@DonTamlin

https://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev said:
LG Mobile Developer was terminated on December 31, 2021 24:00 (KST, GMT + 9).
Now all information provided on the website and issuing the bootloader unlock key are no longer supported.
We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and support of LG Mobile Developer during this time and ask for your understanding.

So... this is the end my dear friend. :p

Damn it.

Cryomichel

Aug 31, 2021
LG G3
LG G5
Hello,
I was busy in December and couldn't do the unlock.
Is there a way to do it rihgt now as the site is close ?
My G5 was bought refurbished, do you think I will be able to jump to Lineage OS and keep it almost working for a few months ?
I plan to do keep it as long as it's running fast for my daily use.

Hello,
I was busy in December and couldn't do the unlock.
Is there a way to do it rihgt now as the site is close ? ...
some are working on an unofficial unlock method but afaik there is no possibilty yet.
Site is probably permanently down.
Might help to write to LG like others did, but Idk.

Reactions: Cryomichel

cancunia

Dec 21, 2013
I had my G5 unlocked but could not really see any benefit. Now re-locked and running Oreo. Works just fine day to day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    G9IoUgU.png
    The European H850 can now be officially unlocked through LG's developer unlock program page.
    Yes, only the European version. Your H850 is from the Middle East? Won't work. You have an AT&T G5? That's not an H850, move along.

LG Developer Unlock Site Here

Prerequisites:
    1. European LG G5 H850
    2. Computer w/ADB & Fastboot. ADB/Fastboot for Windows here. ADB/Fastboot for Linux/OS X here.
    3. Basic knowledge of ADB, Fastboot and Windows command prompt or Linux/OS X terminal.
    4. Device IMEI. This 15-digit code can be found on your box, the back of the phone or by dialing *#06#
    5. LG developer account (free, click here then click sign in at the top of the page to make an account.)

Directions:
    LG's official bootloader unlock directions can be found in the big link at the top of the page..
    but I've still rewritten the steps out below while adding some for root and TWRP.

1. Enable USB-Debugging on your phone. USB-Debugging is required for the commands “adb” and “fastboot” to work. To enable USB-Debugging, go to Settings >> About phone >> Software info and tap Build number 7 times. Return to the previous screen, select Developer options and enable USB-Debugging.

2. Enable OEM unlock on your phone. Activating the "Enable OEM unlock" is necessary for the bootloader unlock. To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings >> Developer options and check Enable OEM unlock.

3. Open CommandPrompt or Terminal and enter the following ADB command to reboot into the bootloader:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    If ADB is not detecting your device try switching your phone's USB mode from Charging to MTP or PTP.

4. Once in the bootloader, use the following fastboot command to obtain Device ID:
    Code:
    fastboot oem device-id
    Fastboot command will return a string. This is the Device ID which is needed to generate your unique unlock key.
    Example :
    Code:
    $ fastboot oem device-id
    (bootloader)-----------------------------------------------------------------
    (bootloader) Device-ID
    (bootloader) CD58B679A38D6B613ED518F37A05E013
    (bootloader) F93190BD558261DBBC5584E8EF8789B1
    (bootloader)-----------------------------------------------------------------

To generate your unlock key, you will need to paste together the 2 lines of output into one continuous string without "(bootloader)" or white spaces. In the example above, the Device ID would be:

CD58B679A38D6B613ED518F37A05E013F93190BD558261DBBC5584E8EF8789B1

5. Copy Device ID and IMEI into the LG developers unlock site and hit the confirm button. In a few moments the unlock.bin will be emailed to you. Download unlock.bin to computer.

6. While the phone is still in fastboot enter the following command to unlock the bootloader:
    This will unlock your phone AND factory reset your device wiping all data!
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin

7. You can now reboot the phone and boot into your unlocked device! Enter:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

8. Want root or TWRP? Before moving forward I suggest getting a microSD card and putting the SuperSu 2.65 zip on there. Do not set the external SD up as adoptive storage. Download this TWRP image too.

Reboot back into the bootloader (you'll have to first re-enable USB debugging):
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

9. Flash TWRP:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-h850.img

For TWRP to "stick" you must first boot directly into TWRP and not back into Android, until after flashing the SuperSU zip.
    After flashing TWRP unplug the USB cable and pull the battery. Plug battery back in then boot into recovery which should hopefully load TWRP.
    To boot into recovery:
    a. Using 2 hands.. use one hand/finger to press/hold volume down.. and use the other hand for the power button. Press n hold both buttons.
    b. As soon as you see the LG logo on the screen.. let go of the power button then quickly press it again (never letting go of volume down).
    c. Keep holding until you see the Factory Reset screen. Click thru the factory reset screens.. Yes.. Yes...

10. You will not be able to decrypt your internal data while in TWRP (unless performing a full /data wipe in TWRP and you will lose encryption!) but you can manually mount your external SD card to view the SuperSu zip. Feel free to back up first.. but otherwise.. time to install SuperSu. Click the Install button and navigate to the external_sd, select the SuperSu zip then swipe to install. Now you're rooted and TWRP'd! Reboot into system...

Have fun and be careful.

FAQ:
    Q: I have an H850Q from Israel.. can I unlock the bootloader?
    A: No, this official unlock program is ONLY for the H850 model for countries in Europe just like LG did for the LG G4.
    But... for about a 10 day span last year G4 devices from SE Asia worked with the official site and users received unlock.bin files. :good:

Q: Will more devices be added?
    A: While there is no "official" word.. most likely no. Unless another mistake happens where another region's H850's are allowed for a week.
    Other than then EU H850 and possibly the T-Mobile H830... no other variants have a shot at being bootloader unlocked officially.

Q: I can't get my phone to show up with ADB or Fastboot, watdo?
    A: Make sure USB debugging is enabled and try changing the phones USB modes.. from maybe charging to MTP.. or MTP to PTP.
    Make sure drivers are installed if using Windows. Learn2Computer.

Q: Where can I get drivers and things?
    A: A good start is my G5 Info thread found here. Google and this very website are good places to search as well.

Q: What happens to warranty if I unlock or root?
    A: YMMV I suppose. The official LG site claims that warranty is void if damage is caused by the unlock. Not sure how they could prove such things. I thought there was some EU law that gave everyone warranty coverage even if unlocking the phone. Not sure if that is enforced or even still valid at this time... maybe someone knows for sure?

Q: Can I re-lock the bootloader?
    LG does not support re-locking the bootloader... so once unlocked you remain unlocked.
    Thanks to @Loggsie for the heads up... the previous statement above is confirmed not true.
    It IS possible to re-lock the bootloader with the the command: fastboot oem lock
    I wrote a bit more about it in this post HERE... and in the post under that.. @wolfgart shows off some examples.
    DO NOT re-lock the bootloader if you have a modified boot/system img... restore them to stock first or you will not be able to boot into android after the lock and need to flash a KDZ in download mode.

Q: So many words... yudodat?
    A: Here is a video on how to unlock the G4... up until the 6minute mark it is step-by-step 100% the same as G5. Only slight difference is when you get to the TWRP/root steps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O64GfQORCaE

y u quote OP?

Follow me on twitter for future updates on LG-related things - twitter.com/@utoprime

Find this thread helpful? Hit the Thanks button!
    Feeling extra generous? Feel free to contribute to my LG G5 fund...
    click my name at the top of any post and hit donate or click here.
    Thanks to a fellow G5 user I have been notified that it is indeed possible to re-lock your bootloader on the H850 variants.
    All credit goes to @Loggsie for this great find... it was not mine. Be sure to thank them :good:

before re-locking I would suggest flashing the stock boot and system img otherwise you may enable dm-verity as well as boot.img signature checking and you won't be able to boot due to modified partitions. And since you can't boot directly into fasboot to easily unlock again you'd be screwed until you flash a KDZ in download mode.

again... do not re-lock the bootloader unless you have already flashed back your stock boot and system imgs. Or to be safe.. just flash a stock KDZ in download mode. then you could boot into android.. confirm OEM Unlock is enabled in developer settings... reboot into bootloader.. then finally re-lock the bootloader.

to relock the bootloader:
    fastboot oem lock

bootloader should now be locked... and the yellow warning sign when booting should also be gone.

I have no idea if or how this will change warranty status. I suppose we'll all see how it plays out by the experience of others on here.
    xposed working fine for me (xposed-v83-sdk23-arm64-test2)
    Looks like the TWRP hang may be due to sdcard format.

If using EXT4 or ExFAT try FAT16/32... (let the phone format your card while it's booted in Android).

That should at least get you into the TWRP menu now.
    I suppose you could avoid using an sdcard to hold SuperSu as well... alternative would be to boot into TWRP while not using any sdcard then using 'adb push' to push the SuperSu zip from your computer to your phone...

Code:
    adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip /tmp/

Then hit the Install button.. navigate to the "tmp" directory and install SuperSu.

TWRP issue will be sorted soon I'm sure.. since it's most likely just a formatting issue... possibly ExFAT/EXT4 not yet supported.
    For stock recovery someone with H850 would need to fastboot boot twrp.img (not fastboot flash recovery twrp.img) and then backup recovery and share it with everyone. Or you would need to wait for root (without bootloader unlock.. most likely a temp root) and then backup stock recovery.

It looks like a few of you have been denied an unlock from LG... and they seem to be carrier variants of the H850. So.. it is possible that SOME H850 carrier models are not yet "eligible" for official LG bootloader unlock and only EU carrier-free H850 variants can unlock. This is how LG did it last year with the G4. At first, only carrier-free variants but then a month or two later they opened it up to EU carrier variants.

the H831 most likely does not have a visible fastboot menu for unlocking. Only the H850 variant and possibly H830 will be officially supported. It's possible that if a temp root is available you could wipe laf or recovery partition and boot into a "fastboot fallback menu" but this is not the proper fastboot and all fastboot commands will be broken. I suggest no one attempts this unless you know what you're doing... and if that were the case you wouldn't be listening to this anyway.

As mentioned above... toggling OEM -Unlock in development settings does NOT void warranty. Requesting an unlock.bin from LG does NOT void warranty either. Only possible way to void warranty would be to see you device in person with the unlock flag on your phone set.