[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 for ZTE Axon 7

Search This thread

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
Guys it's not over I just don't have a working Axon 7 anymore. I actually shattered it a while ago, but I have an Axon M now and it's pretty much similar enough to where I can do most testing on it and then bring the work to the Axon 7. I got TWRP ported now I'm working on bringing the same support in our device tree. 85% of our libraries from 8.1 already come from this device so it won't be much longer. If I save enough, I'll probably grab another Axon 7.

wannaskoo

May 10, 2017
Guys it's not over I just don't have a working Axon 7 anymore. I actually shattered it a while ago, but I have an Axon M now and it's pretty much similar enough to where I can do most testing on it and then bring the work to the Axon 7. I got TWRP ported now I'm working on bringing the same support in our device tree. 85% of our libraries from 8.1 already come from this device so it won't be much longer. If I save enough, I'll probably grab another Axon 7.

Wow, thanks for your dedication! :good:

Volumetrik

Nov 27, 2013
ZTE Axon 7
Huawei MediaPad M5
To avoid more device bricks I have created very detailed, easy to follow instructions on how to update with minimal risk. The Bootstack in the OP is fine, but it doesn't support Emergency Download
(EDL) mode. To avoid that I have gathered my custom B12 Bootstack, the TWRP Labs 1.3 and the Official LOS15.1 into an EDL package.

BACKUP:

if you want to keep your information, then you should do a backup of your data before continuing with this guide. You can use the file manager to move your Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc... from your internal storage to an external SD card. You can upload them to a cloud service such as Google Drive, One Drive, MEGA, DropBox, etc. Or use the USB connection to move your information to your PC.

DEVICE UNLOCK:

Unlocking your bootloader will trigger a factory reset, and will delete the internal storage along with all the information in your phone. If your Axon 7 bootloader is still locked, you have to follow this guide before proceeding to the rest of this guide. It works for Marshmallow and Nougat stock phones. Please use that thread to ask any question related to unlocking your device.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

WARNING, THIS GUIDE WILL WIPE ALL THE DATA IN YOUR DEVICE, INCLUDING THE INTERNAL STORAGE.
IT REQUIRES YOUR DEVICE TO BE UNLOCKED, OTHERWISE YOUR DEVICE COULD BE BRICKED.
!!! Whatever you do, it is at your own risk !!!

In case you get stuck at any point in this guide, do not panic! There is a straightforward way to go back to stock. Just follow this Unbrick/Restore guide. I've tried to make things as easier as possible for everyone, specially newbies not used to deal with the Axon 7. So, I have created stable custom EDL packages. In order to reduce the risk and complexity, this one Stop ROM Shop performs all the following actions in a single flash:
- installs my customized B12 Bootstack with EDL support
- removes unlocked bootloader annoying warning message.
- creates vendor partition.
- installs TWRP Labs Mod 1.3 custom recovery
- installs Official LOS15.1 ROM.
- And the guide also helps you to format data and cache as f2fs in case you haven't done it already. It provides better battery, performance and extends the lifespan of the internal flash.

STEPS

1. Download and Unzip Axon7_LOS15.1_180925_B12Oki_TWRP_LABS1.3_FULL_EDL.zip to a folder in your computer, ensuring there are no errors. I have an A2017U, so the American modem is the package default. If you have an A2017 or A2017G just copy your modem firmware, from the corresponding provided modem subfolder, to the main folder. Just overwrite the default American modem file.
  2. Install MiFlash in your PC. It includes the Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC drivers, nonetheless you can always install the latest Qualcomm drivers.
  3. Enter EDL mode using one of the following options:
    • by pressing VolUp+VolDn+Power until the power led flashes briefly
    • Installing a terminal app and typing reboot edl at the app prompt.
    • connecting your phone to your PC and typing adb reboot edl at your computer's command prompt.
    • While your phone is completely off, press VolUp+VolDn while connecting your phone to your PC.
  4. If you haven't done yet, it's time to connect your phone to your computer.
  5. Open MiFlash in your computer.
  6. Click Browse button and select the folder you created with the firmware files in step 1.
  7. Click Refresh button and your device will appear listed as virtual COM port.
  8. Click Flash button and wait for a few minutes until it finishes. Note the bottom options are not applicable.
  9. Press VolUp+Power until the phone vibrates, then release both buttons and wait for TWRP to boot. Go to Reboot menu and keep pressed VolUp while tapping on DM-Verity ON until the phone vibrates. TWRP will restart.
  10. Go to Reboot menu and keep pressed VolUp while tapping on eMMC Write until the phone vibrates. TWRP will restart.
  11. Go to Advanced > Oki Labs menu and tap on Expand OS.
  12. To ensure everything is clean you should format the DATA partition, including internal storage. Go to main menu > settings and ensure "Use rm -rf instead of formatting" option is not selected. Then go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe, select Data partition and tap on Repair_or_Change_File_System button and then on Change_File_System button. Select F2FS and confirm action. Do the same to apply F2FS to the Cache Partition.
    NOTE: If you receive an error while formatting data, then go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe, select Data partition and tap on Repair_or_Change_File_System button and then on Change_File_System button. Format DATA as EXT4 first and, without leaving TWRP do it again as F2FS. That will fix the issue.
  13. Go to main menu and reboot system.

Happy transition to Official LineageOS 15.1 Oreo. I have not included Google Apps and Magisk root since I just wanted to create a basic package with easy to follow instructions. If you are interested in expanding these instructions with GApps and Magisk just let me know.

Thanks for this useful reply. It was really useful in my "struggle" to leave LOS14.1 to enter PIE world.

afigienas

Dec 26, 2011
To avoid more device bricks I have created very detailed, easy to follow instructions on how to update with minimal risk. The Bootstack in the OP is fine, but it doesn't support Emergency Download
(EDL) mode. To avoid that I have gathered my custom B12 Bootstack, the TWRP Labs 1.3 and the Official LOS15.1 into an EDL package.

STEPS

1. Download and Unzip Axon7_LOS15.1_180925_B12Oki_TWRP_LABS1.3_FULL_EDL.zip to a folder in your computer, ensuring there are no errors. I have an A2017U, so the American modem is the package default. If you have an A2017 or A2017G just copy your modem firmware, from the corresponding provided modem subfolder, to the main folder. Just overwrite the default American modem file.
  2. Install MiFlash in your PC. It includes the Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC drivers, nonetheless you can always install the latest Qualcomm drivers.

1. Sadly but this indeed did more harm then good. I followed instructions and now my internal memory and data is dead... i cannot format it. I re-flashed full EDL in this link, and original firmware-nothing helps anymore.... can not mount data error and system doesn't boot. Doesn't help anything. :( Have expiriance with flashing roms..but never had situation where i cant format partition..

DonCatoli

Sep 17, 2016
Hi, I flashed lineage-15.1-20190419-nightly-axon7-signed.zip and at bootup it is asking for a password, is this a bad rom or is there a known password to enter?

&Delinquent[$]

Jun 3, 2012
Does anyone have a mirror for this? I arrived on the train a bit late, I'd much prefer an official Lineage build to an unofficial one

Edit: Found a nightly, looks legit too: http://dlr.ovh:8080/axon7/lineage-15.1-20190221-nightly-axon7-signed.zip

However, I'm very confused about this whole bootstack business. Not something I've come across before. What am I meant to do with the bootstack? Unzip it and add it to the image? It's not flashable, at least not in any of hte traditional ways I've tried.

Last edited:

runninghamster

Dec 30, 2017
Melbourne
ZTE Axon 7
Samsung Galaxy S8
Does anyone have a mirror for this? I arrived on the train a bit late, I'd much prefer an official Lineage build to an unofficial one

Edit: Found a nightly, looks legit too: http://dlr.ovh:8080/axon7/lineage-15.1-20190221-nightly-axon7-signed.zip

However, I'm very confused about this whole bootstack business. Not something I've come across before. What am I meant to do with the bootstack? Unzip it and add it to the image? It's not flashable, at least not in any of hte traditional ways I've tried.
The bootstack is the bootloader. It's required for booting the device.
Use the LOS 15.1 Universal V2 bootstack, and flash the zip using TWRP. After that, you can follow the instructions and flash your modem and rom.

Boristheliar

Apr 19, 2021
Ive just bought a 2nd axon7 to install lineage os on because my old one has been brilliant. Its got a newer version of android (old 7.1.1, new 8.0). Could i use a backup of the new os to install on the old phone?
Is installing lineageos on an axon 7 to dificult for a noob? It looks really complicated and seems more hassle than its worth. Why do people install lineage os and then put GAPPS in, isnt that defeating the object of switching oses?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Ff2gAFBe.png%3F1
    Lineage OS
    About Lineage OS:

Lin·e·age
    /ˈlinēij/
    noun
    lineal descent from an ancestor; ancestry or pedigree.
    a sequence of species each of which is considered to have evolved from its predecessor.

Disclaimer:
    LineageOS (Lineage Android Distribution) members or anyone else on this website is not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.

Warning:
    This ROM will not work on devices that have not installed the O bootloader and appropriate modem package below. Any failure in this process could lead to an unrecoverable bricked device.

Instructions:
    Attention! The bootloader needs to be unlocked!
    1. Install the Universal O bootloader and your model specific modem. Download
    2. Update your version of TWRP. Download
    3. Perform a backup of your current ROM. (optional)
    4. Wipe system,data and cache (optional) [Needed if coming from another rom!; always good to avoid bugs]
    5. Install the ROM. Download or Download Unofficial builds
    6. Install GApps. (optional) [Recommended -> Open GApps (arm64) (8.1)]
    7. Reboot.

What is CAF?
    Code Aurora, a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project, hosts tested open source software code needed to provide upstream enablement for innovative, performance optimized, network connectivity and related ecosystems to support system on a chip (SoC) products. It also serves as a staging area for open source code that is submitted to various upstream projects such as the Linux kernel and Android. CAF also mirrors key upstream projects for use by the community.

Sources, Changes, & Wiki:
    Source | Changes | Axon 7 Wiki | Lineage OS

Credits:
    @Unjustified Dev
    @DrakenFX

XDA:DevDB Information
    [OFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 for ZTE Axon 7, ROM for the ZTE Axon 7

Contributors
    OrdenKrieger, Unjustified Dev, DrakenFX, tdm
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_zte_msm8996/tree/lineage-15.1

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: O bootloader + region modem
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-06-05
    Last Updated 2018-10-14
    I made this thread detailing a bit more how I got my phone bricked, so people don't do the same thing as me.

https://xdaforums.com/axon-7/help/bricked-phone-trying-to-install-los-15-1-t3847517

BACKUP:

if you want to keep your information, then you should do a backup of your data before continuing with this guide. You can use the file manager to move your Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc... from your internal storage to an external SD card. You can upload them to a cloud service such as Google Drive, One Drive, MEGA, DropBox, etc. Or use the USB connection to move your information to your PC.

DEVICE UNLOCK:

Unlocking your bootloader will trigger a factory reset, and will delete the internal storage along with all the information in your phone. If your Axon 7 bootloader is still locked, you have to follow this guide before proceeding to the rest of this guide. It works for Marshmallow and Nougat stock phones. Please use that thread to ask any question related to unlocking your device.

WARNING, THIS GUIDE WILL WIPE ALL THE DATA IN YOUR DEVICE, INCLUDING THE INTERNAL STORAGE.
    IT REQUIRES YOUR DEVICE TO BE UNLOCKED, OTHERWISE YOUR DEVICE COULD BE BRICKED.
    !!! Whatever you do, it is at your own risk !!!

In case you get stuck at any point in this guide, do not panic! There is a straightforward way to go back to stock. Just follow this Unbrick/Restore guide. I've tried to make things as easier as possible for everyone, specially newbies not used to deal with the Axon 7. So, I have created stable custom EDL packages. In order to reduce the risk and complexity, this one Stop ROM Shop performs all the following actions in a single flash:
    - installs my customized B12 Bootstack with EDL support
    - removes unlocked bootloader annoying warning message.
    - creates vendor partition.
    - installs TWRP Labs Mod 1.3 custom recovery
    - installs Official LOS15.1 ROM.
    - And the guide also helps you to format data and cache as f2fs in case you haven't done it already. It provides better battery, performance and extends the lifespan of the internal flash.

STEPS

3. Enter EDL mode using one of the following options:
      • by pressing VolUp+VolDn+Power until the power led flashes briefly
      • Installing a terminal app and typing reboot edl at the app prompt.
      • connecting your phone to your PC and typing adb reboot edl at your computer's command prompt.
      • While your phone is completely off, press VolUp+VolDn while connecting your phone to your PC.
    4. If you haven't done yet, it's time to connect your phone to your computer.
    5. Open MiFlash in your computer.
    6. Click Browse button and select the folder you created with the firmware files in step 1.
    7. Click Refresh button and your device will appear listed as virtual COM port.
    8. Click Flash button and wait for a few minutes until it finishes. Note the bottom options are not applicable.
    9. Press VolUp+Power until the phone vibrates, then release both buttons and wait for TWRP to boot. Go to Reboot menu and keep pressed VolUp while tapping on DM-Verity ON until the phone vibrates. TWRP will restart.
    10. Go to Reboot menu and keep pressed VolUp while tapping on eMMC Write until the phone vibrates. TWRP will restart.
    11. Go to Advanced > Oki Labs menu and tap on Expand OS.
    12. To ensure everything is clean you should format the DATA partition, including internal storage. Go to main menu > settings and ensure "Use rm -rf instead of formatting" option is not selected. Then go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe, select Data partition and tap on Repair_or_Change_File_System button and then on Change_File_System button. Select F2FS and confirm action. Do the same to apply F2FS to the Cache Partition.
      NOTE: If you receive an error while formatting data, then go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe, select Data partition and tap on Repair_or_Change_File_System button and then on Change_File_System button. Format DATA as EXT4 first and, without leaving TWRP do it again as F2FS. That will fix the issue.
    13. Go to main menu and reboot system.

Happy transition to Official LineageOS 15.1 Oreo. I have not included Google Apps and Magisk root since I just wanted to create a basic package with easy to follow instructions. If you are interested in expanding these instructions with GApps and Magisk just let me know.
    Lol all those thumbs up. I don't get it. Is this a hint or something?
    Jealous? No sir lol I'm just subscribing myself trying to catch up on things I just came back from a 21st birthday vacation. I do want to wait around and see what all issues people find that we couldn't. To be fair about battery life etc we didn't get the latest and greatest Oreo kernel source I received a bad beta with horrible overheating and battery life. I decompiled the dtb (device tree blob) from the prebuilt B12 kernel and that helped a lot as you can see no one hand is burning which is what I experienced before. Hopefully we can get everything solved and worked out eventually. I'm basically handing everything over to OP I'll continue to contribute though so I'll probably be getting back in touch with everyone on Hangouts soon to see if I can get some of the small necessary things out of the way like SELinux, offline charging mode, and the flip cover. At this point there's no reason to report anything previously reported, I've read every single comment and page just be patient

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk
    I'm returning on the 16th got a promotion at my second job now I'm quitting my first. My plan is to start fresh on Pie using B32 kernel source and only modify it to work with Oreo camera. We gotta catch up in time for Q.

Been seeing a bunch of fix battery percentage fixes. I said before ZTE oreo release appeared to scrap every change from stable N B32 to start fresh so I've been reverting pieces back to caf and b32 so I too have the battery profile working correctly in my latest kernel for 15.1. I was waiting around to see if ZTE released something new before I go and rewrite everything to be clean and less of a mess for something special.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk