• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 16.0 for Xperia Z3

Search This thread

Mr.Tom_Tom

Feb 16, 2008
Munich
Stay tuned

I've build a new unofficial 17.1 LineageOS ROM with current sources (01 May 2020) and thanks to @ronnay ryukay you can find that here in his thread.

While this does not address most of the major issues which are described in post #2 here in this thread, we hope it provides a better work-around for the audio issues.

My current priority remains to refresh the audio subsystem., that's what I am working on right now.

0LDST4R

May 2, 2018
I've build a new unofficial 17.1 LineageOS ROM with current sources (01 May 2020) and thanks to @ronnay ryukay you can find that here in his thread.

While this does not address most of the major issues which are described in post #2 here in this thread, we hope it provides a better work-around for the audio issues.

My current priority remains to refresh the audio subsystem., that's what I am working on right now.

Uuuuuuhhhh, nice, nice....

Copied and pasted:

-- VOIP Handsfree Tested on similar build on Z3c with Google Duo, working fine

Nice, nice, nice...

Could we expect the same good news here in the official Pie ROM? No eta, take the time what you need...

Reactions: Mr.Tom_Tom

edit_check

Aug 19, 2017
Hi, i am trying to make a updater-script for install apk on data.

When i extract the dir with the apk in data/app the files be extracted, but when restart the android the folder with the apks be auto-delete. Why ?

There are another method for install or extract apk to data/app ?

jw243

Mar 21, 2016
I could not find any bugs in the fm radio app. On my phone, it works perfectly as intended. All stations are found immediately and changing between them doesn't cause any problems.

Last edited:

jw243

Mar 21, 2016
I set up all the drivers on Windows 7 and the device is recognized correctly in flash mode, fastboot mode as well as using "adb devices".

However, in twrp-3.3.1-z3-20200212.img, the device is not recognized anymore in adb sideload mode. When switching to sideload mode, "Android adb interface" is gone in devices manager, and upon "adb devices" it returns "adb: sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found". When exiting sideload mode, adb interface pops up again in device manager and "adb devices" returns the correct serial number.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a known bug of either this version of twrp or of the sony drivers? Is there a solution for this?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

jw243

Mar 21, 2016
Problems encrypting phone. At the beginning, encryption seems to work, but in the end it is stuck in bootloop (lineage startup animation). Before encryption, I set a PIN and restarted the phone.

What am I doing wrong?

amazm40

Sep 21, 2015

Hello Mr. TomTom, I need to ask you for a favor

if you can start supporting dual sim variant D6633 That would be great, I am ready to help you with testing and reporting and I hope you can help us.

Mr.Tom_Tom

Feb 16, 2008
Munich
if you can start supporting dual sim variant D6633 That would be great,
Please see remarks here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83480465&postcount=2

Lineage 16 will keep updating ? after 17.1 release
The official server has stopped to build for 16.0 and will continue on 17.1 only

The Android 10 (LOS 17.1) is working so bad....
Why? Please report any issues. There should nothing be worse than on 16.0. Instead, we included some improvements into 17.1.

Mitezuss

Dec 8, 2017
Why? Please report any issues. There should nothing be worse than on 16.0. Instead, we included some improvements into 17.1.

There are too many disadvantages on Android 10 (LOS 17.1)

1. Not Init support
2. System locked to RO to boot
3. Can not disable Direct Shared
4. Some Apks or Magisk modules or Xposed modules do not work properly
5. And more disadvantages....

Android 10 is not good, really.... So, after test i prefer Android Pie. For that, i will keep using Lineage 16...

The official server has stopped to build for 16.0 and will continue on 17.1 only.
So bad about that...

Why stop developing and improving a Android stable better than Android 10....

I think, some developer do not use their own "soft developed".... And Lineage 16 have lots of feature more than Lineage 17.1...

I am really sad about that decision....

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer:
    LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system based on the Android mobile platform. Modifying your device and installing this ROM might cause undesired behavior. You do this at your own risk and under your own responsibility.

Installation:
    If you are on stock OS, you need a custom recovery first. You can get the recommended TWRP recovery in the official installation instructions link below.
    If you are coming from stock or other ROMs, you need to make a factory reset.
    As always, make sure to backup before installing this ROM.

More detailed instructions at:
    Install LineageOS on z3

Download link:
    LineageOS Downloads for z3

Recommended Google Apps package:
    Open GApps (choose ARM as Platform and 9.0 as Android, use the variant you want. Recommended package: nano)

Recommended TWRP Recovery
    TWRP build by The Muppets (Updated build: 12Feb2020)

Official root addon
    LineageOS Extras

Changelog:
    Changes for z3

Bug reports:
    How to submit a bug report
    LineageOS GitLab

Donate to support development:
    Donate via PayPal to NeoArian *** Our main contributor for LineageOS 16 & 17 for Z3 and Z3 Compact ***
    Donate via PayPal to LineageOS

Thanksgiving
    Thanks to everyone who ever contributed to the custom developement for this device.
    Especially:
    @nailyk
    @rcstar6696
    @Myself5
    @tomascus
    @Diewi
    @xkeita
    @koron393
    @SpiritCroc
    @115ek
    @drakonizer

Source Code
    The source code of LineageOS is available here.
    The kernel source code for this device is available here.
    The used configuration is lineageos_shinano_leo_defconfig available at arch/arm/configs/lineageos_shinano_leo_defconfig in the kernel source.

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 16.0 for Xperia Z3, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z3

Contributors
    Mr.Tom_Tom, NeoArian
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 23.5.A.1.291
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2020-02-07
    Last Updated 2020-02-07
    Remarks, Questions and Answers

Known Major Issues
    • Audio quality during voice calls: Voice calls in handset mode are still too loud. Resolved with lineage-16.0-20200210-nightly-z3
    • FM Radio buggy: Slow scanning, FM radio is not always starting correctly. We are not working on that right now. Workaround: Let the phone do the initial scan for ~30 min or so, than you can use it.
    • WiFi issues (low (?) speed @ 5GHz, hotspot): This topic is related to a dirty workaround. We are aware of the issue (since years) but don't have a better solution atm.
    • Disk Encryption: Disk Encryption is working, however not with the default password (no password). Workaround: Set password first, then start disk encryption, not the other way round!
    • VOIP: Mic not working when on hands-free mode. Affected apps e.g. WhatsApp, Google Duo, Skype. Work-around:
      Modify file /system/vendor/etc/audio_effects.xml according to this change (delete two lines).
      You need write access to /system. I recommend using ADB during TWRP recovery mode to perform that. You need to mount /system beforehand in TWRP.
      This disables the default Echo Compensation and Noise Suppression effects. With the current setup, they are not working anyways (NS/AEC is handled differently). This does not affect normal voice calls, as they are not used for voice-calls anyways.
    • Bluetooth Low Power may create wakelocks in certain scenarios. Not yet tested that myself, but seems to affect the whole shinano family since a long time already.
    • Thermal throttling of CPU cores: Due to a design issue of the thermal manager ("Thermanager") when used with older kernels like ours you have to expect that the frequency throttling of the CPU cores may fail, especially after(!) the device was getting hot and is recovering. This may lead to performance issues until reboot and other issues. Workaround: reboot device after heavy use. This issue seems to be present since years with our open source custom ROMs.
    • GNSS: GLONASS and BEIDOU not working correctly --> will be fixed with LOS17.1
    • You tell us (with logs please)...
    More detailed test log here

Further hints
    • If you need Google Apps we recommend the "nano" package, however, I personally use the "stock" package which works as well.
    • If you need to install a lot of apps you may run out of internal DATA storage capacity, especially if you install one of the larger GAPPS packages. These apps are initially placed on the system partition and do not cost you DATA capacity. However, every update which comes over the Play Store then fills up your data partition. Using an SD card formated as "external" storage does not help you much (unless you use a tool like app2sd which is no more recommended) and isn't encrypted. Formating the SD card as "adoptable storage" comes with the drawback that some apps do not allow to be migrated to this storage, and unfortunately this is true for some streaming music/video apps which need to store a lot of data obviously (for offline use). The solution I am using is to partition a SD card as "mixed", which gives you the possibility to offload at least some apps to adoptable storage while you still have a classical external FAT32 partition where e.g. your streaming app can save its offline files:
      1. Find a large (I tested a 400GB microSDXC card) and fast ("A1" or higher) Micro SD card.
      2. Follow this guide to partition your SD card. Note: all data on the card will be lost.
      3. Restart your phone.
      4. When you are notified that a new storage card has been detected, use it as "external". (Your internal partition has been recognized at that point already and does not need interaction.)
      5. Go to settings / Storage. Verify that you see three entries: 1. Your internal phone storage of 16GB. This includes your SYSTEM partition. 2. Your SD card with an SD card symbol. The size shown should be the full capacity of the card. If you click on it, your "external" partition is shown (misleading) as "System" and blocked. Click on migrate data to migrate all possible apps to your adoptable storage. 3. Your sd card partition formated as mobile storage (unencrypted!).
    • How to create logs:

• Follow How To Logcat
      • If your device randomly reboots:
        Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Developer options -> Store logger data persistently on device. After the reboot occured: Pull the logs from /data/misc/logd/ (root required).
      • If your device crashes during boot and reboots to recovery:
        Code:
        adb pull /proc/last_kmsg
      • Please submit logs from clean systems without "Exposed" or similar modifications in place

Your feedback is wanted
    • Details on any WiFi issues - please state your country & used frequency channels (if possible). Please test and report if the situation gets better with the MAGISK module linked below.

A big THANK YOU also to @ronnay ryukay for having maintained the inofficial thread!
    ZZZ.......

Hey guys
    Sorry for not being an active developer these days. No worries please, I plan to continue to work on LOS for our Z3.

Stay healthy!
    @MrTom_Tom @NeoArian

It's so great to see an official LineageOS 16 for the old device. Thx so much at both of you for the effort and time which you spending to the z3.

Hopefully the LineageOS 17.1 will go official some day, too.
    You are welcome. LineageOS 17.1 is in a pretty good shape for z3/z3c. I have built an unofficial version for z3 with February security patch and uploaded it to https://osdn.net/projects/ephedraceae/storage/z3/lineage-17.1/

It should be in a similar state to 16.0 now. Selinux is enforcing and everything should be working so far.
    Stay tuned