[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for Galaxy S5 klte + Variants

ArvixxBesin

Aug 8, 2017
Hi all,

Not sure if this is going to be useful to anyone but I lost quite a lot of time figuring this out, so I wanted to share it:
I was having trouble updating from Lineage 16 to 17.1 (using this manual https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/klte/upgrade), getting bootloops every single time. I tried various 16 and 17 roms and in the end found ONE rom that didn't go into a bootloop but gave me a proper loading screen (a 2019 Lineage 16 build).

VERY long story short, with exception of the 2019 Lineage 16 rom every single rom I tried went into a boot loop until I unplugged the USB cable. If the USB cable was connected when the boot sequence started they all kept rebooting either while showing the boot animation or after flashing the first setup screen.

I don't know if that's a common problem but if it is I think it should get added to this page: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/klte/upgrade

edit: I'm getting inconsistent results now, but I have a video in which it was consistently looping with the cable and booting without

edit 2: Aaaand I'm back in bootloop hell. I did manage to flash the 2019 Lineage 16 ROM and boot into it, but even that is working inconsistently now. I've tried 16, 17.1 and 18.1 at this point.

My working 17.1 installation went to crap when I flashed Magisk. I'm not sure if that was actually the culprit though. This is by far the fussiest upgrade I've ever had to do.

edit 3: I've since cleared everything, installed the 18.1 recovery, tried to flash various images multiple times and after a long time I managed to boot into a clean version of 17.1. It seemed fully functional... until I rebooted it.

It is now in a bootloop again.

I don't know how to troubleshoot something that works once in a long while and reboots at different times in the boot process as well.

It booted normally, I restarted it and this happened:

1 long buzz and reboot after two logo animations
2 long buzz and reboot after two animations
3 short buzz and reboot after two animations
4 no buzz except for the "normal" boot buzz, reboot after two animations
5 no buzz except for the "normal" boot buzz, reboot after two animations
6 no buzz except for the "normal" boot buzz, reboot after two animations
7 no buzz except for the "normal" boot buzz, reboot after two animations
8 long buzz and reboot after two animations
9 long buzz and reboot after two animations
10 double buzz after two logo animations and regular boot into 17.1

The phone was working fine on Lineage 16... and now I can't even consistently boot into that.

edit 4: Flashed lineage-16.020190407-nightly-klte-signed and it's booting consistently again.

edit 5: Flashed lineage -17.1-20201227-nightly-klte-signed, it booted into android, I was already going through the menu's and it rebooted. It's in a bootloop again.

edit 6: I had about four succesful manual reboots on 17.1 and now it's bootlooping again (3 times so far)

I can't get a consistent result. Does anyone have any idea what I could try?

Help :(

I get same problem with L17.1 , i am using scl23(kltekdi)... but L16 last build is working for my device. I dont know whats the problem here .. I did clean flashing and also tried installing update via Lineage recovery but i get nothing but endless bootloop. Btw, thanks for this update.

Reactions: synch

synch

Jul 5, 2009
I'm getting a headache trying to follow everything you tried. :oops:
Imagine how I feel :D

See this post written for Windows PC users & LineageOS 16.0. The same steps works to install LineageOS 17.1: S5 super clean install.

Important steps: update your modem before installing 17.1, backup the EFS partition, Format Data (not just a simple wipe) & do not install the awful TWRP app.
I checked that super clean install post but missed the part about the modem update. I'll have a look.

At the end of that hellish procedure I installed the Android 11 version of crDroid out of desperation and I've had zero problems with it (so far). I'm stubborn enough to try again with Lineage though :)

Thanks a lot for the help!

edit: Ok... I decided to tackle this particular problem another time as I have a ton of work to do and already lost two days fussing with it.

In the meantime, is crDroid a worthy temporary alternative for a daily driver or do you have any other suggestions?

Last edited:

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
Failed OTA Update?

Hello, is there a simple fix for this ?

View attachment 5176453
Used the Copy Text On Screen app to extract the TWRP error text from the image to make this post searchable for the next user with a similar problem:

E3004: This package is for device: klte, klteacg,
kltecan, kltetmo , klteub, klteusc, kltevzw, kltexx; this
device is
Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
Error installing zip file '@/cache/recovery/block.map
Done processing script file

If this is a failed LineageOS 17.1 OTA update, it looks like your TWRP version is too old to run the OpenRecoveryScript.

Read the Note in the first screenshot of the Update 2021-01-03 post in the previous page and what is your exact S5 model & TWRP version?

Last edited:
Reactions: pmduper

synch

Jul 5, 2009
See this post written for Windows PC users & LineageOS 16.0. The same steps works to install LineageOS 17.1: S5 super clean install.

Important steps: update your modem before installing 17.1, backup the EFS partition, Format Data (not just a simple wipe) & do not install the awful TWRP app.
I flashed G900FXXU1CSA1_G900FXXS1CQA4_baseband_firmware.tar.md5 with Odin, twice, but the adb shell getprop gsm.version.baseband command keeps giving me g900fxxu1ance.

No clue what's going on there, because Odin at least seems to succesfully flash the baseband firmware. Or am I misunderstanding something?

I also found out that the SIM card wasn't being detected even when the phone did boot into Android 10 or 11.

After installing Lineage 16 it's at least booting consistently (so far) and the SIM card is detected again.

edit: ... and it just rebooted while trying to do a file transfer over USB...

Jul 16, 2018
Has anyone reported screen issues yet?
The screen doesn't turn up when I press literally any button, it instantly turns off/doesn't do anything/gets yellow and after that black again?
System ui seems to be crashing a lot for me as well...

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
I flashed G900FXXU1CSA1_G900FXXS1CQA4_baseband_firmware.tar.md5 with Odin, twice, but the adb shell getprop gsm.version.baseband command keeps giving me g900fxxu1ance...
What does it say in > Settings > About phone > Android version > Baseband version?

and it just rebooted while trying to do a file transfer over USB...
...The screen doesn't turn up when I press literally any button, it instantly turns off/doesn't do anything/gets yellow and after that black again?
The best troubleshooting step to confirm or rule out a hardware problem is to flash the most recent stock Samsung manufacturer's OS for your device, test thoroughly before installing TWRP, backup the EFS partition in TWRP then installing a custom ROM like LineageOS.

This will also update the modem, bootloader & other firmwares.

Try an other USB cable, make sure the S5 & computer's USB ports are clean.

You can copy/paste Odin3's log in the left side panel (screenshot).

No, not in this thead.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: pmduper and synch

synch

Jul 5, 2009
The best troubleshooting step to confirm or rule out a hardware problem is to flash the most recent stock Samsung manufacturer's OS for your device, test thoroughly before installing TWRP, backup the EFS partition in TWRP then installing a custom ROM like LineageOS.

I thought of making a screenshot just in case :)

And I read the flash to stock thing. I just don't understand what the problem is with the odin flash. Unless the adb shell command is inacurate...

Attachments

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
I thought of making a screenshot just in case :)

And I read the flash to stock thing. I just don't understand what the problem is with the odin flash. Unless the adb shell command is inacurate...

Odin3 screenshot shows success flashing modem & bootloader combo.

Again: What does it say in > Settings > About phone > Android version > Baseband version?

synch

Jul 5, 2009
Odin3 screenshot shows success flashing modem & bootloader combo.

Again: What does it say in > Settings > About phone > Android version > Baseband version?
Sorry, I missed that part of your post. It says g900fxxu1ance as well.

And yeah, that's what confuses me, everything points to a succesful flash. I repeated it a second time after seeing that it was still saying it was on the old one.

edit: Oh and the cable is the same cable I've adb sideloaded tens of images with. I doubt that's the problem, but I'm willing to try anything at this point :)

wireroot

Jan 3, 2019
[...] I flashed G900FXXU1CSA1_G900FXXS1CQA4_baseband_firmware.tar.md5 with Odin, twice [...]
I had exactly the same problem and solved it some time ago. But I don't know exactly anymore what made it work in the end - so try the following:
  • turn off the device and use the home + volume-down + power button combo to go into download mode
    (not via the extended power button menu from within LineageOS)
  • try the above and flash the modem two or three times

synch

Jul 5, 2009
I had exactly the same problem and solved it some time ago. But I don't know exactly anymore what made it work in the end - so try the following:
  • turn off the device and use the home + volume-down + power button combo to go into download mode
    (not via the extended power button menu from within LineageOS)
  • try the above and flash the modem two or three times
First attempt: didn't change.
Second attempt: Unsuccesful flash
Third attempt: ... it shows up correctly now.

What the actual hell is going on here :D

Thanks for the tip! I'm feeling brave, 17.1 flash, here I come!

Edit: It actually booted into 17.1... and recognized the SIM.

I'm going to consider this a provisional victory.

Thanks a lot @wireroot and @curiousrom

Either way it's a step in the right direction!

Last edited:

4Privacy

Nov 23, 2020
Since my upgrade to LineageOS 17.1 (which I installed cleanly) I am facing this quite bothering issue.

I have no sound output from the ear speaker during calls, so I have to use the (loud) speaker on the back - consequently so that anyone can hear the conversation... When I use headphones all works fine.

Are there any information on that? Maybe a modem/firmware issue? I never touched firmware/modem - it is the same like the time the klte ran Stock ROM Android 6. Thank you for your help on my problem!
Turned out to be a hardware issue (broken speaker) and definitely no software (kernel, firmware, baseband) related problem - thanks for you help anyway!

4Privacy

Nov 23, 2020
From my earlier post (updated):
LineageOS 17.1 klte Upgrade experiences
[...]
I clean installed 17.1 and noticed a few things compared to LOS 16.0 (which I run before and which also worked without any bugs worth mentioning):

1. UI is sometimes laggy (as already mentioned) - will continue to test in latest build 20201122 - can confirm that reboot often solves these problems - did not recognize this anymore since a few OTA updates (y)
2. As opposed to the official LOS blog post (Changelog 24) where it says: "Wi-Fi display is available once again." a connection to wifi display devices is not possible (same as in LOS16.0). Is there a dependency to Google/Gapps/proprietary compoenents?!
3. I cannot configure "quick shortcuts" anymore (as before in LOS16.0) for being able to launch camera (or other apps) directly from lock screen.
4. UI changes in LOS17.1 do not allow to quickly open battery preferences page anymore by pulling statusbar down and tapping on battery percents in right top edge.
5. [Important in my eyes] The new dark mode feature (arriving with Android 10) comes with the LOS setting to apply the dark mode according to sunset/sunrise. For me this does not work. Again, is there a dependency to proprietary components/services regarding determination of location? What needs to be done in order to get this working? Thanks in advance.
- for devices without Google Services -> install standalone MicroG UnifiedNlp Network Location Provider - thanks @curiousrom & @kurtn (y)
6. Can someone explain to me why the page under System > Advanced > Backup is populated only when Google/Gapps etc. are installed?! (Like I said) I don't use Google at all (no Gapps, just clean LOS) and I am wondering why a backup function depends on Google and in particular leaving the backup page just blank...? Addition: There is no "Change backup provider" button @kurtn

I think the points above may be helpful for some who started thinking about upgrading to LOS17.1 as well as the devs who look for bugs and respective solutions.

Jul 16, 2018
What does it say in > Settings > About phone > Android version > Baseband version?

No, not in this thead.
I followed your recommendations and everything seems to be working flawlessly with the stock ROM. I tested every option in *#0*#.
After that I flashed TWRP and LineageOs again-screen issues are here again. The screen becomes yellow (the entire screen) or green (at the bottom part), then turns off and then finally turns on. Everything happens within 1 second after I press home/power button.

g000n

Sep 4, 2015
Flashed TWRP 3.5.0_9-0 easily via TWRP its self and updated to Jan 3rd 2021 version via OTA UPDATER smoothly, Magisk Manager 8.0.4 & Magisk 21.2 survived the update

Although it's failing SafetyNet

Cannot wait for official LOS 18.1 for klte :)

Reactions: curiousrom

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
S5 Screen Flickering Yellow or Green

...everything seems to be working flawlessly with the stock ROM. I tested every option in *#0*#.
After that I flashed TWRP and LineageOs again-screen issues are here again. The screen becomes yellow (the entire screen) or green (at the bottom part), then turns off and then finally turns on. Everything happens within 1 second after I press home/power button.
Check this XDA site search: site:forum.xda-developers.com/ s5 screen green yellow

That's usually a sign of a dying S5 screen. A temporary workaround is to use a higher brightness level.

Maybe it did not show in the stock Samsung because of a higher level or higher initial power when the screen is turned on.

If the screen was replaced on that S5 sometimes they use LCD Screens which are a cheaper alternative for replacing the S5's original Super AMOLED screen. Or sometimes the screen's ribbon is not properly connected to the motherboard.

It could also be a motherboard or GPU issue.

SafetyNet Test Failing?

Flashed TWRP 3.5.0_9-0 easily via TWRP its self and updated to Jan 3rd 2021 version via OTA UPDATER smoothly, Magisk Manager 8.0.4 & Magisk 21.2 survived the update

Although it's failing SafetyNet...
Thanks for the feedback. :cool: 👍

About failing SafetyNet make sure that MagiskHide is enabled in Magisk Manager's settings.

Otherwise check the excellent Magisk and MagiskHide Installation and Troubleshooting guide by @Didgeridoohan.

FWIW as you can see in the screenshot, no problem passing the SafetyNet test on my Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-01-03 + Open GApps Pico + Magisk 20.4 Stable + Magisk Manager 8.0.4 + TWRP 3.5.0 recovery.

Attachments

Last edited:

HomieEnzo

Dec 23, 2020
Please I need help :confused:, after update to the 2021-01-03 build, there's no audio in my phone, for details, is a sm-g900v, with twrp 3.5.0 and bitgapps r19.