[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for Galaxy S5 klte + Variants

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I'm wanting to run the microg version of 17.1 on my klte phone. However, I use LINE Messenger, and it is dependent upon Google.

Has anyone been able to come up with a method/workaround/hack/whatever which would allow me to somehow get LINE Messenger to run on the microg version of 17.1?

Thank you in advance.

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
LINE Messenger Without GApps Issues

I'm wanting to run the microg version of 17.1 on my klte phone. However, I use LINE Messenger, and it is dependent upon Google.

Has anyone been able to come up with a method/workaround/hack/whatever which would allow me to somehow get LINE Messenger to run on the microg version of 17.1?...
Try this XDA site search and add keywords to taste: site:forum.xda-developers.com/ "LINE Messenger" without gapps

Since MicroG is not supported in this thread try: site:forum.xda-developers.com/ MicroG

Good luck!

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
LINE Messenger Without GApps Issues

Try this XDA site search and add keywords to taste: site:forum.xda-developers.com/ "LINE Messenger" without gapps

Since MicroG is not supported in this thread try: site:forum.xda-developers.com/ MicroG

Good luck!
Thank you very much! And I apologize for my OT message.

UPDATE: I now discovered that there are actually a few microG-related posts in this thread, and they were not treated as OT. Nonetheless, I will look elsewhere, although I'll check back here periodically, just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: curiousrom

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
S5 klte Update 2021-02-21 - Skip It!

If you already have build 2021-02-14 installed on your S5 there is no reason to update to 2021-02-21.

As you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ (or in the screenshot) the only minor change is
Recorder: Fix sharing if done via Bluetooth.

The other MotoActions change does not concern the S5 klte family at all.

Attachments

Last edited:

devilhopper

Mar 10, 2017
Hi all,

I'm looking to move my entire data back and forth between an S5 and an S5 duos (both running on LineageOS) and was wondering for the best way to do it. (Background: I'd like to use the s5 on a daily basis, and switch to the duos only when I'm traveling. And switch back afterwards, of course.)

One idea is to use TWRP to do the job. At least I could do that if I had two identical s5. Does anyone know what will happen if I flash a klte image to an s5 duos, or klteduos image to a regular s5? Will it brick the phone or will I get fatal errors all the time or will there just be a few dead ends (functions missing, respectively "fake" functions that don't work)?

Of course I'm willing to test this, but if it's already known that any of this is a really bad idea, I can probably save the time.

If none of this is an option then naturally I'd have to switch to syncing just data, but from my experience, that does take some time (including verifying if you really got it all), and I'm looking for the easiest/fastest solution.

Thanks!

n0me

Sep 13, 2010
Europe
Hello there,

I've been using 17.1 for a few days now as my daily driver and I run into the folowing problem every now and then: starting random apps (TitaniumBackup x2, Magic Earth x4, DiskUsage x2) results in a crash/reboot of the phone. After booting up, the external SD is not readable anymore and Android asks to reformat, losing all my stored data in the process. Everything else (encrypted system, internal SD) works fine after the reboot. I can still access the SD card from TWRP and read/copy the content. Only the TitaniumBackup folder seemed unreadable the last time the crash happend while doing a backup with Titanium. I used all the above apps and the SD card in combination before without any problems on LOS 16.0. I don't really know what is causing the problem (broken SD card? Android 10? Encryption?) and where to start looking for a fix.

Has anyone of you experienced the same problem and what was the reason for it (if you solved it)?

Thank you!

My S5: LOS mG 17.1 (20210202), encrypted, 128 GB SanDisk external SD card (not adopted), Magisk 22.0

Eadn33

Jul 22, 2019
Michigan
After booting up, the external SD is not readable anymore and Android asks to reformat, losing all my stored data in the process.
That's very interesting. While I haven't solved it, I have had the same issue the last week or so.

I have been using Lineage 17.1 with regular updates for the last few months and have not had this issue before. I suspected a faulty micro-SD card, but it worked fine with no errors when I take it out of phone and read with PC. Also have had some reboots when starting Open Camera and some other seemingly random reboots that I did not have before the last couple of weeks.

So, not really helpful for solving the problem yet, but having similar symptoms.

EDIT: Confirmed access to SD works fine using TWRP as noted by @n0me

S5 - G900V, Lineage 17.1-20210207, no Magisk, no mG, 128 GB Samsung MicroSD

n0me

Sep 13, 2010
Europe
That's very interesting. While I haven't solved it, I have had the same issue the last week or so.

I have been using Lineage 17.1 with regular updates for the last few months and have not had this issue before. I suspected a faulty micro-SD card, but it worked fine with no errors when I take it out of phone and read with PC. Also have had some reboots when starting Open Camera and some other seemingly random reboots that I did not have before the last couple of weeks.

So, not really helpful for solving the problem yet, but having similar symptoms.

EDIT: Confirmed access to SD works fine using TWRP as noted by @n0me

S5 - G900V, Lineage 17.1-20210207, no Magisk, no mG, 128 GB Samsung MicroSD
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I don't think it's due to a faulty update. My version is from 20210202 and MicroG is usually a month behind in terms of updates. Yours is a 20210207, so it shouldn't be the same base for the update.

Meanwhile I ordered a Samsung Evo Plus 128 GB in hopes that it might solve the problem, since both SD cards I tried are quite old.

A weird thing I discovered: I unmounted the SD card in LOS and tried installing MagicEarth which crashed the phone before a 100% of the times and it installed and started just fine. Then I mounted the SD card again, started MagicEarth and the phone crashed again. Unmounted, MagicEarth worked fine etc.

It also crashed several times when doing backups to the SD card (Signal, Titanium) so it must be something SD card related. But what?

I will give updates when the new SD card arrives, probably Tuesday. Thanks.

Reactions: pmduper and Eadn33

g000n

Sep 4, 2015
today's up (2/28/2021) uninstalled magisk 22 for me

and when i try to install it through magisk app, it only shows "select and patch a file"

had to rename the magisk .apk to .zip and flash through twrp

Last edited:

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
Magisk 22.0 Not Surviving OTA Update

today's up (2/28/2021) uninstalled magisk 22 for me

and when i try to install it through magisk app, it only shows "select and patch a file"

had to rename the magisk .apk to .zip and flash through twrp
Exact same for my S5 G900M: Magisk 22.0 did not survive the OTA update & I had to rename Magisk-v22.0.apk
to Magisk-v22.0.zip & flash it with TWRP.

Use the Magisk zip install file in TWRP. Can be downloaded at the magisk github site.
Not anymore. See the changelog https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/releases/22000.html and https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

From https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#custom-recovery :
Custom Recovery
  • Download the Magisk APK
  • Rename the .apk file extension to .zip, for example: Magisk-v22.0.apk → Magisk-v22.0.zip. If you have trouble renaming the file extension (like on Windows), use a file manager on Android or the one included in TWRP to rename the file.
  • Flash the zip just like any other ordinary flashable zip.
  • Check whether the Magisk app is installed. If it isn’t installed automatically, manually install the APK.
Uninstallation
The easiest way to uninstall Magisk is directly through the Magisk app.
If you insist on using custom recoveries, rename the Magisk APK to uninstall.zip and flash it like any other ordinary flashable zip...

Last edited:
Reactions: x2k13 and dcarvil

Eadn33

Jul 22, 2019
Michigan
It also crashed several times when doing backups to the SD card (Signal, Titanium) so it must be something SD card related. But what?

I will give updates when the new SD card arrives, probably Tuesday. Thanks.
No news for you on how SD Card issue may be related to app crashes or reboots, but FWIW, my microSD card is recognized again. I took it out of the phone and put it in an SD adapter and inserted in my Windows 10 PC. Opened file explorer and right-click/properties on the SD Card.

Then under "Tools" tab, I clicked Check/Repair. Got a message that the card was fine and didn't need repair, but proceeded with repair anyway, got a message that it was repaired, popped it back in the phone and booted and it works fine again.

I had just been about to try full data/system wipe and see if that solved it, but good for now.