[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for Galaxy S5 klte + Variants

Search This thread

Massedil

Dec 7, 2016
Paris
Hello,

Just a feedback after using LineageOS 17.1.

1. Phone app : the page that displayed recent contacts disappeared replaced by a favourite contact page. Without favourite, it is useless compared to the recent calls page.

2. When manually locking the phone, notifications disappeared on the lock screen.

3. Wait for the screen to lock (don't force it with the menu because of last point). Notifications are here in portrait mode. When the lock screen is rotated to landscape, notifications disappears, and reappears again when in portrait again.

4. No more Android orthography corrector, even if it is activated in the parameters. EDIT 2021-01-18 : issue 2532 seems to solve this problem that disappeared with lineage-17.1-20210117-nightly-klte-signed.zip

5. Notification panel is sometimes laggy. Especially when using swiches.

6. More problems with Bluetooth disconnection than with 16.1. I have tried to change Bluetooth parameters in developers mode without success.

Can you reproduce? Do you have some workaround?

Last edited:

synch

Jul 5, 2009
First attempt: didn't change.
Second attempt: Unsuccesful flash
Third attempt: ... it shows up correctly now.

What the actual hell is going on here :D

Thanks for the tip! I'm feeling brave, 17.1 flash, here I come!

Edit: It actually booted into 17.1... and recognized the SIM.

I'm going to consider this a provisional victory.

Thanks a lot @wireroot and @curiousrom

Either way it's a step in the right direction!
So, it's been a few days and I've had zero random restarts, all boots were succesful and it's performing great. Made a few phonecalls, have received SMS and Signal messages and did some browsing.

No Gapps or anything fancy. Just a few fdroid apps.

Updating the baseband did the trick. What I don't get is why it was rebooting so inconsistently. You'd think that with a problem like that it would always reboot at the same time, and never manage to fully boot, instead of randomly restarting and occasionally working as intended.

Ah well, I hope this is of some use to anyone :)

Reactions: curiousrom
S5 LineageOS 17.1 klte & Variants Update 2021-01-10

FYI I updated my Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-01-03 + Open GApps Pico + Magisk 20.4 Stable + Magisk Manager 8.0.4 & TWRP 3.5.0 to build 2021-01-10 via the built-in OTA Updater: everything went smoothly as usual & Magisk survived the update.

There are 7 changes to the S5's 17.1 kernel (android_kernel_samsung_msm8974) all made by haggertk, some others are labeled android_hardware_motorola and do not concern the S5 klte family and two other minor ones a you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ for example.

Or check on your device in the built-in Settings > System > Advanced > Updater > 3-dots > Changelog which will open in a mobile browser the same page as above.

Since that page changes all the time I attached a screenshot for posterity.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

The upcoming Android Bump Security String to 2021-01-05 is not included. Top left of that page you can see @ the present the label Active meaning still under review.

After it's marked Merged it should be included in the next update.

Thank you Mr. haggertk for supporting our S5's. :cool: 👍

Attachments

• Updater_2021-01-10_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Updater_2021-01-10_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    315.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Changes_2021-01-10_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Changes_2021-01-10_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    133 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: dcarvil and pmduper

761gg1i3219

Apr 11, 2020
I'm following the thread on 18.1 and sometimes I'm looking at the changes on Gerrit.
In the "Initial batch of 18.1 promotions/additions" there's a list of I guess the firsts devices that will update to 18.1 once it goes official but klte* are not in it so I have two questions (I'm not asking for ETA, just want to understand better how things work):

- When do LOS changes version? Again, I'm not asking for ETA but what has to happen before changing major version? Like they have a list of features that are to be implemented and when that is done the upgrade will be shipped or what else? Or they want to have a "test phase" for a fixed number of months and then release 18.1?
- Second question is related to klte*, since 18.1 is not yet official for any device, why are they not included in the "Initial batch of 18.1 promotions/additions"? Like is it a choice by haggertk to keep it unofficial till second batch because he prefers so or is there another reason, like for example the devices included in 1st batch are more "forward" in completing the tasks needed for 18.1 and klte* will be included in 1st batch if it meets some criteria before 18.1 going official?

I'm sorry for the chaotic questions but I really I have no idea about all of this works and wanted to learn. If anyone could help me understand that'd be great. Thanks in advance. and thank you again haggertk for your amazing work on this device, you're truly a hero.

KrautHolg

Jan 12, 2015
Flensburg
mail.im.tku.edu.tw
Just to let people know how it turned out in the end. Maybe someone has similar problems.

Tried lineage-17.1-20201011-nightly-klte to no avail. Bluetooth still didn't work. Completely useless that way.

Then I tried out lineage-14.1-20200614-UNOFFICIAL-klte on 10/30 and Bluetooth hasn't crashed once since. I guess I'll stay with this build until the Bluetooth issue is resolved.

I decided to give it another shot with the latest lineage-17.1-20210110-nightly-klte-signed

Unfortunately the Bluetooth problem is still there for me. I couldn't do a logcat last time, as I had already switched to another ROM and I needed the phone on an everyday basis. Also, I am not familiar with Android Studio, although I have just installed it.

Here is my question: Is there a *simple* and *easy* way to do a logcat for the Bluetooth issue, either via ADB or directly on the phone? I will provide it as soon as I can.

Cheers!

KrautHolg

kurtn

I decided to give it another shot with the latest lineage-17.1-20210110-nightly-klte-signed

Unfortunately the Bluetooth problem is still there for me. I couldn't do a logcat last time, as I had already switched to another ROM and I needed the phone on an everyday basis. Also, I am not familiar with Android Studio, although I have just installed it.

Here is my question: Is there a *simple* and *easy* way to do a logcat for the Bluetooth issue, either via ADB or directly on the phone? I will provide it as soon as I can.

Cheers!

KrautHolg
If you have a PC with adb ist easy. Type adb logcat in terminal.

I'm following the thread on 18.1 and sometimes I'm looking at the changes on Gerrit.
In the "Initial batch of 18.1 promotions/additions" there's a list of I guess the firsts devices that will update to 18.1 once it goes official but klte* are not in it...

I think your post is in the wrong thread since this one is about official 17.1.

Maybe you could copy/paste it in [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*) & delete this one or link to your new post?

For those wondering he is referring to this in the Lineage Gerrit Code Review which is not Merged yet: hudson: Initial batch of 18.1 promotions and expand lineage-build-targets.

I'm pretty sure that when haggertk thinks that the klte family is official 18.1 ready, he will add it to it or push them later.

Last edited:
...Is there a *simple* and *easy* way to do a logcat for the Bluetooth issue, either via ADB or directly on the phone?

From the post #1: 6- Bluetooth Crashing ... So far nobody created a Bluetooth bug report with an attached logcat in the LineageOS bug tracker for the S5 running LineageOS 17.1. See this post about how to create one: S5 Bluetooth Crashing Bug Report?

Check this XDA portal article: What is ADB? How to Install ADB, Common Uses, and Advanced Tutorials (for Windows, macOS or Linux)

...I am not familiar with Android Studio, although I have just installed it.

It's not necessary to install that but there are plenty of tutorials about how to use it.

Last edited:

4Privacy

Nov 23, 2020
From my earlier post (updated):
LineageOS 17.1 klte Upgrade experiences
[...]
I clean installed 17.1 and noticed a few things compared to LOS 16.0 (which I run before and which also worked without any bugs worth mentioning):

1. UI is sometimes laggy (as already mentioned) - will continue to test in latest build 20201122 - can confirm that reboot often solves these problems - did not recognize this anymore since a few OTA updates (y)

2. As opposed to the official LOS blog post (Changelog 24) where it says: "Wi-Fi display is available once again." a connection to wifi display devices is not possible (same as in LOS16.0). Is there a dependency to Google/Gapps/proprietary compoenents?!

3. I cannot configure "quick shortcuts" anymore (as before in LOS16.0) for being able to launch camera (or other apps) directly from lock screen.

4. UI changes in LOS17.1 do not allow to quickly open battery preferences page anymore by pulling statusbar down and tapping on battery percents in right top edge.

5. [Important in my eyes] The new dark mode feature (arriving with Android 10) comes with the LOS setting to apply the dark mode according to sunset/sunrise. For me this does not work. Again, is there a dependency to proprietary components/services regarding determination of location? What needs to be done in order to get this working? Thanks in advance.
- for devices without Google Services -> install standalone MicroG UnifiedNlp Network Location Provider - thanks @curiousrom & @kurtn (y)

6. Can someone explain to me why the page under System > Advanced > Backup is populated only when Google/Gapps etc. are installed?! (Like I said) I don't use Google at all (no Gapps, just clean LOS) and I am wondering why a backup function depends on Google and in particular leaving the backup page just blank...? Addition: There is no "Change backup provider" button @kurtn

7. [NEW]: The screen lock timeout is not being applied correctly. Instead the phone is getting locked immediately when display timeout is reached.

I think the points above may be helpful for some who started thinking about upgrading to LOS17.1 as well as the devs who look for bugs and respective solutions. Might be more helpful for some (who actually use their phone) instead of declaiming LOS18 in this thread.🤔

761gg1i3219

Apr 11, 2020
I think your post is in the wrong thread since this one is about official 17.1.

Maybe you could copy/paste it in [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*) & delete this one or link to your new post?

Mind helping a brother out? I don't know how to delete the post.

I'm pretty sure that when haggertk thinks that the klte family is official 18.1 ready, he will add it to it or push them later.

I know but what are the differences in terms of "readiness" between haggertk's klte* builds and the ones already included in the "initial batch".

KrautHolg

Jan 12, 2015
Flensburg
mail.im.tku.edu.tw
From the post #1: 6- Bluetooth Crashing ... So far nobody created a Bluetooth bug report with an attached logcat in the LineageOS bug tracker for the S5 running LineageOS 17.1. See this post about how to create one: S5 Bluetooth Crashing Bug Report?

Check this XDA portal article: What is ADB? How to Install ADB, Common Uses, and Advanced Tutorials (for Windows, macOS or Linux)

It's not necessary to install that but there are plenty of tutorials about how to use it.

Thanks for all the answers. Unfortunately I have run into another snag. I will have to completely reinstall the phone and see where that gets me. I will probably do that tomorrow. As I need the phone, I will go back to an older ROM if I can't fix it any time soon. If all goes well, I will get the logcat.

Greetings from an extremely frustrated KrautHolg

S5 LineageOS 17.1 klte & Variants Update 2021-01-10
Funny thing I've noticed:
The LineageOS Version Tag under Settings > About Phone > Android Version still says "17.1-20201220-NIGHTLY-klte". So, apparently this hasn't changed since 2020-12-20 (although flashing the updates via TWRP without errors). Any idea why?

Sorry, my bad - I forgot the build.prop I modded keeps the version it came from (lol), all good.

But, still:
How do I get rid of the history list of updates in the updater?

With the build.prop coming from the latest update, the list got cleared automagically. Nevermind.

:p

Last edited:
  • Haha

KrautHolg

Jan 12, 2015
Flensburg
mail.im.tku.edu.tw

Would this be the right logcat?

Can I just upload the 2021-01-12_15.24.zip or does it have to be the unzipped logcat.log ?

Christ! Where did the attached file go now?

KrautHolg

Jan 12, 2015
Flensburg
mail.im.tku.edu.tw

Zytrel

Jun 17, 2012
Tried dirty upgrading from latest 16.0 to lineage-17.1-20210110-nightly-klte (and virtually every version before) and Wear OS stopps working (being stuck at the loading screen). GApps-Nano, no Magisk. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Also, any news on the issue with Encryption/Secure Boot and GApps as described here:
https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/2044
Just simply disabling Secure Boot is not really an option, as it's kinda the same as disabling encryption alltogether with an open bootloader.

Regards,
Zy.

Reactions: x2k13
S5 LineageOS 17.1 klte & Variants Update 2021-01-17 - Bump Security

FYI I updated my Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-01-10 + Open GApps Pico + Magisk 21.3 Stable + Magisk Manager 8.0.6 & TWRP 3.5.0 to build 2021-01-17 via the built-in OTA Updater: everything went smoothly as usual & Magisk survived the update.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security patch level: January 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

There are 53 changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ for example and a lot of them are related to Bump Security String to 2021-01-05 > Topic Q_asb_2021-01 and 15 of them related to Bluetooth (android_vendor_qcom_opensource_system_bt and android_system_bt).

Or check on your device in the built-in Settings > System > Advanced > Updater > 3-dots > Changelog which will open in a mobile browser the same page as above.

Since that page changes all the time I attached some screenshots for posterity.

See Android Security Bulletin—January 2021 for details about the security fixes.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you Mr. haggertk & to the entire LineageOS Team for supporting our S5's. :cool: 👍

Attachments

• Updater_2021-01-17_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Updater_2021-01-17_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    319.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Changes_2021-01-17_01_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Changes_2021-01-17_01_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Changes_2021-01-17_02_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Changes_2021-01-17_02_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Changes_2021-01-17_03_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Changes_2021-01-17_03_LineageOS_17-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Magisk_Manager_8.0.6_Magisk_21.3_curiousrom.png
    Magisk_Manager_8.0.6_Magisk_21.3_curiousrom.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yUIn6TF.png

Edit: FYI the LineageOS S5 klte family maintainer created a new thread here:

[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)
    Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit the Wiki.

Important Info
    WARNING: the official 17.1 build 20201101 is defective, causing a bootloop & got removed from the Lineage servers. The ROMs affected are klte, klteduos & kltedv.

If you updated to 20201101 and are caught in a bootloop as reported by several S5 users in the pages #3 of this thread and the following pages: flash an older version like 20201025 without wiping anything (a.k.a. dirty flash) and you will not lose your aps & settings:

1- On the S5 you can simulate a battery removal if you press Volume down + Power button for 10-20 seconds while frozen, in bootloop or Download Mode: the S5 goes black & turns off.

If you keep on pressing the buttons until the Samsung bootloader splash screen appears & release them then S5 should reboot in System.

Or remove the battery to turn it off.

2- With the S5 turned off hold Volume Up + Home + Power to boot in recovery and either sideload the older version or copy to the S5 the older build as MTP is enabled by default in TWRP and flash it from there.

To flash this rom you need TWRP version 3.3.1-0 or newer or the Lineage Recovery specific to your device model.

Some TWRP 3.4.0 users reported fail to install LineageOS after a wipe. Rebooting to TWRP recovery after the wipe solves this issue.

The adb command adb reboot sideload does not work in TWRP for the S5 as if you sideload a file afterwards it will fail as I tested myself with this error message: " command is: 'sideload' and there is no value". You must manually select in TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideload > swipe to begin sideload then you can sideload your file. You must do the same for each files if you sideload more than one.

The S5 maintainer haggertk recommends not choosing Internal storage for the Micro SD card (adoptable storage) when formatting the card in the device and posted about it here: "...my opinion is no one should use adoptable storage. It's a fragile mess and always has been since Google explicitly does not care about sdcards.".

Some S5 17.1 users reported being stuck in an endless boot animation after restoring a 17.1 TWRP backup. A workaround tested by @wireroot & posted here is to flash the original LineageOS ROM that you were running when you made that backup right after the restore operation. This was confirmed by @jdrch in his post here.

An other possible workaround is to flash "fix_rootfs_label.zip" that you can find here right after restoring the TWRP backup. Note: this was NOT confirmed yet by S5 users in this thread.

EFS Partition Restore - @Eadn33 reported here in the old 16.0 thread that he could not restore the EFS partition with TWRP 3.4.0 but could with TWRP 3.3.1-0 on his S5 G900V. Other models may have that problem also but no other reports so far. See EFS Partition Backup - No Service, No IMEI & No SIM Card Fix for explantions.

Warning: do NOT select install TWRP app in TWRP as it will cause a bootloop.

Download Links
    The Galaxy S5 klte variants currently supported by LineageOS are:

klte - SM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexx - SM-G870A, SM-G870F
    kltechn - SM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduo - SM-G9006W, SM-G9008W
    klteduos - SM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedv - SM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdi - SCL-23, SC-04F
    kltekor - SM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Each respective download pages include a link to the official clean installation instructions and a link to Device info which includes a link about how to upgrade to a higher version. For example from official 16.0 to official 17.1 without losing your settings & apps.

The wiki mentions only the Lineage recovery but several S5 users reported successful clean install or 16.0 > 17.1 upgrading while using TWRP instead.

TWRP: https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys5qualcomm.html

Google apps (Optional. The S5 requires the ARM for Android 10 version because LineageOS 17.1 is based on Android 10 & the S5's ARM architecture.): https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html

As a rule of thumb the larger the Open GApps package, the more chance of a problem on first boot with the ever changing privapp-permissions.

I prefer the smaller Pico package & just add the extra apps I need from Play Store and https://f-droid.org/ See Open GApps Package Comparison

Some users prefer not installing any Gapps packages & use the Aurora Store v3 - a FOSS Google Play client to download apps from Play Store. Note that some apps may require the Google Play Services & librairies which are included in the Gapps packages & may not work properly or will not get timely notifications because of it.

Root (Optional): The LineageOS AddonSU and Privacy Guard are deprecated in 17.1. :(

Magisk which is the only root solution for 17.1 @ the present is not supported by LineageOS. See Magisk download & Installation instructions by the Magisk dev & also the excellent Magisk and MagiskHide Installation and Troubleshooting guide by @Didgeridoohan. Thread on XDA: Magisk General Support / Discussion.

Magisk can be installed later at anytime so it's not necessary to install it during the initial installation of LineageOS.

Bug Reporting
    If a bug is discovered, confirm it with other users in this thread & include your device model & build date (for ex. lineage-17.1-20201025-nightly-klte), then report it following the LineageOS wiki here: https://wiki.lineageos.org/bugreport-howto.html

Known Bugs - Known Issues
    1- On an encrypted S5 17.1 + Gapps if Secure Startup is enabled it may fail to reboot or take a very long time to boot. See bug report here.

From haggert's post here:

...there is some kind of timeout that hits ALL legacy devices - addition of gapps is seemingly enough to push it over the edge. Aside from first boot or upgrade, sometimes you'll be able to get in and sometimes not. I bet if you are able to decrypt in twrp and delete dalvik cache you'll get fully booted again.

Bottom line, if you are encrypted, make sure to disable secure startup (go change the pin/pattern/password, even to the same thing, and say that you do not want to have to answer for the device to start). {bold by me}

2- Not a bug really but some S5 users reported fail to boot on 17.1 or no SIM card recognized because they had an older baseband/modem. See S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Haggertk posted here about 17.1: "...I'm willing to bet that you have some L or earlier baseband. Except for the activexx build, you have to be running M baseband now." {bolding by him}.

3- Google Backup cannot be restored if you use a 4x4, 5x5 or 6x6 lock screen pattern in LineageOS instead of the Android default 3x3 pattern. See the bug report here.

4- Display accepts touch input while off due to proximity and screen does not turn back on after call bug report by @Eadn33. The bug was fixed with klte family builds 2020-11-13 or newer. Thank you Mr. haggertk.

5- SMS reception notification delay depends on doze / unlock state by @wireroot. He posted about it in this thread here.

6- Bluetooth Crashing - Some users reported having issues with Bluetooth in this thread: @KrautHolg here, @liquidraver here and here, @pmduper here, @navcar here and included a logcat, @badesh here and here, @mrmarioman who posted here.

@KrautHolg created a report in the LineageOS bug tracker with a logcat here: Bluetooth repeatedly crashes with multiple devices for the S5 klte LineageOS 17.1.

OTOH @Eadn33 reported here that he does not have any problems "with a soundbar, music and hands free in car , or scan tool for car". I tested for 2 hours listening to music with Bluetooth headphones, received a call & also had no problems on my S5 G900M klte.

So far nobody created a Bluetooth bug report with an attached logcat in the LineageOS bug tracker for the S5 running LineageOS 17.1. See this post about how to create one: S5 Bluetooth Crashing Bug Report?

7- Fingerprint Scanner: Some S5 users reported not being able to register their fingerprints in > Settings > Security > Fingerprint. Contrary to the Lineage instructions the finger must be swiped down & not just "Touch the sensor". See the screenshot & the linked trick if you still can't register the fingerprint in S5 G900F Fingerprint Issue.

Not a bug but some users reported the scanner not working on older basebands but working after updating it like @jackass5 in his post here. See S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Several users, including me, reported a higher battery usage after registering some fingerprints. See S5 Screen Lock Fingerprint Battery Tests @ Idle - BetterBatteryStat

8- Camera (Snap) > Settings > Storage > if you select SD Card the photos are saved to /external sdcard I.D./Android/Data/org.lineageos.snap/Files/ but taping on the thumbnail of the photo you just took mistakenly opens /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera/. Additionally, Gallery does not see that Files folder but a third-party app like Simple Gallery Pro that does show the Files album.

In LineageOS 17.1 build 2020-11-23 or newer the SD Card option was deleted instead of fixing the bug. See LineageOS 17.1 - In Camera the Option Save to SD Card has Been Removed in this thread.

9- Call Forwarding Not Working - In both the stock Phone app or when dialing a code it's broken. See this post that includes a link to a bug report: S5 klte LineageOS 17.1 Call Forwarding Error. Thanks to @uyguremre for reporting the issue here.

S5 U.I. Speed-Up Tip: Try those as fast as you can before the tweak: expand/close notification curtain, app drawer & scroll, recent apps & scroll, horizontal scroll fast between hope pages if you have a few, open Settings & scroll, etc.

Then: Settings > Accessibility > enable Remove animations.

Test again as you did before. Profit!

LineageOS FAQ
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/faq.html

LineageOS Stats
    https://stats.lineageos.org/

Credits
    The S5 klte + variants LineageOS maintainer is @haggertk who valiantly supported the S5 klte family through LineageOS 14.1, 15.1, 16.0 & now 17.1. Big thanks for his perseverance & dedication. :cool:👍

He is also one of the 9 LineageOS directors and maintains other devices as well as you can see in https://wiki.lineageos.org/contributors.html

Many thanks also to the LineageOS team and all the contributors out there in the community that made the Lineage project possible. You can see their names or nicknames in the zoomable & searchable > Settings > About phone > Contributors.

Haggertk seemed uninterested in creating an S5 17.1 tread on XDA or he is too busy maybe so I went ahead and created one using part of the OP of his old S5 LineageOS 15.x thread. If he wants a transfer of this thread's ownership I will gladly do it.

Kernel Source Code:
    Kernel tree: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_msm8974/tree/lineage-17.1

LineageOS Gerrit code review: https://review.lineageos.org

Android version: 10

Note: this post as well as posts #2 & 3 will be updated soon.
    S5 LineageOS 17.1 klte & Variants Update 2021-04-11 - Magisk 22.1 Survives!

FYI I OTA updated my Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-04-04 + Open GApps Pico + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 recovery to build 2021-04-11 & everything went smoothly including Magisk 22.1 surviving the update.

There is no changes compared to build 2021-04-04 as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but I wanted to test the TWRP & Magisk updates vs. OTA.

Before the OTA update made a full TWRP backup then I used TWRP 3.5.1_9-0 to update to TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 as described in How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself then rebooted to recovery to check the version and finally to System. (screenshots). Changelog https://twrp.me/

I used the installed Magisk 22.0 app to update it to Magisk 22.1 app, then Direct install method to update Magisk itself to 22.1. (screenshots) Changelog: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases.

Of note in that Magisk page it says this but it was not my case: "RESTORE THE EXISTING MAGISK MANAGER BACK TO NORMAL BEFORE UPGRADING IF HIDDEN!".

I was hoping for an upgrade to official LineageOS 18.1 or a security bump on 17.1 but that will have to wait for the next update I guess.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    Official LineageOS 18.1 for the Galaxy S5 klte family Launched!

FYI these haggertk's commits are now marked as Merged so it should be available in the next update if all goes well with the Lineage automated builder:
    And it's confirmed in the LineageOS build target list and the wiki pages https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ also.

The respective wiki pages include an upgrade guide.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    S5 LineageOS 17.1 klte & Variants Update 2021-01-24

I updated my Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-01-17 + Open GApps Pico + Magisk 21.4 Stable + Magisk Manager 8.0.7 & TWRP 3.5.0 to build 2021-01-24 via the built-in OTA Updater: everything went smoothly as usual & Magisk survived the update.

Some of the changes that you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ do not concern the S5 klte family (Motoactions, fastcharge & nvidia) and the others like the ones concerning android_packages_apps_ThemePicker (Settings > Display > Styles & wallpapers) are not dramatic but I updated anyway to be able to post in this thread.

Thank you Mr. haggertk & to the entire LineageOS Team for supporting our S5's. :cool: 👍
    S5 LineageOS 17.1 klte & Variants Update 2021-02-14

I updated my Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-02-07 + Open GApps Pico + Magisk 21.4 Stable + Magisk Manager 8.0.7 & TWRP 3.5.0 to build 2021-02-14 via the built-in OTA Updater: everything went smoothly as usual & Magisk survived the update.

There are no important changes except maybe some time zone stuff for certain regions as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but I updated anyway so I could post about it here.