[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for z3c

Search This thread

tomKater

Jul 29, 2014
Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite
This occasionally happens to me when flashing the Z3C and other Sony devices. I can usually get round it by taking the following steps in TWRP:
  1. Backup your data partition
  2. Format - not just wipe - the data partition
  3. Flash the new ROM - I usually do it by installing from SD card, but `adb sideload` should work too
  4. Boot the phone and go through the setup wizard app, setting any screen pattern or PIN you had previously.
  5. Restore the backup of your data partition
I hope that helps

Thank you very much ! It was indeed the right procedure !

It saved me a lot of time. Thanks.

Reactions: petefoth

marcogiannetta

Sep 29, 2012
Good Evening!

It's the time again, you might have already noticed that lineage 18.1 is official for some devices now. We, the sony shinano maintainers, were not sleeping and have also prepared our device for 18.1. I have uploaded a test build here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ep...18.1/lineage-18.1-20210406-UNOFFICIAL-z3c.zip
I would appreciate some testing/feedback on this build. There shouldn't be major issues on the test build, from my own testing it should be on-par with 17.1.
I am optimistic that we can also achieve an official release of 18.1 for the z3c.

All source codes can be found on the lineageos github in lineage-18.1 branches + additional patches for sony msm8974 are up on gerrit: https://review.lineageos.org/q/status:open+-is:wip

Happy flashing!

It's been a while since last time I did test a new Android version on this smartphone.
First of all, I'd like to thank you all maintainers for your effort and to congratulate for the great work done with this first build of lineage 18.1.
I did some basic testing (don't expect anything too accurate, since this is not my main device for a while) which I'll resume below:
  • Booting was fine and time is quite comparable with previous lineage versions
  • I succesfully installed a test build of OpenGapps (micro configuration of 20210130), which seems to work pretty well
  • account setup and sync works
  • WiFi working at both 2.4/5 GHz
  • Bluetooth working fine, I had no problems connecting to my bluetooth earbuds and listen to some music
  • NearbySharing is working like a charm and quite fast too
  • online charging is working at full speed (about 1800 mA with a quickcharge 3.0 wall charger)
  • MTP working
  • OTG works for both input devices (mouse, keyboard, etc..) or mass storage
  • camera is fully working (taking pictures with both front/rear cameras, taking videos, flash)
  • phone calls are working, but I believe that microphones are swapped, using the upper one as main, resulting in a low volume during calls
  • mobile data is stuck at EDGE for me, I couldn't get it to use LTE instead
  • audio is fine
  • video playback also seems to be fine (tested on youtube at 1080p)
  • chromecast works, in fact I did cast screen and youtube to a Google Nest Hub without any problem
  • the OS is overall responsive and snappy, even with gapps installed
  • screen rotation, accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, etc.. all fine
  • double tap to wake and other classic gestures are fine
  • I couldn't test hotspot since, as I said, I was stuck at 2G connection which was quite unresponsive
  • unfortunately I cannot test GPS or NFC neither
I hope I did not forget something important.
I'm going to keep this installed since it's really stable, so feel free to ask me for some other testing and I'll for sure try to do that as soon as I have some spare time :)

Samare

Nov 6, 2014
Good Evening!

It's the time again, you might have already noticed that lineage 18.1 is official for some devices now. We, the sony shinano maintainers, were not sleeping and have also prepared our device for 18.1. I have uploaded a test build here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ep...18.1/lineage-18.1-20210406-UNOFFICIAL-z3c.zip
I would appreciate some testing/feedback on this build. There shouldn't be major issues on the test build, from my own testing it should be on-par with 17.1.
I am optimistic that we can also achieve an official release of 18.1 for the z3c.

All source codes can be found on the lineageos github in lineage-18.1 branches + additional patches for sony msm8974 are up on gerrit: https://review.lineageos.org/q/status:open+-is:wip

Happy flashing!

Thank you NeoArian and all other developers!
Your LineageOS 17.1 build really revived this small phone!
My previous experiences with installing unofficial builds were not as great as this one.
The only things I miss compared to stock Android 6 are the camera button full press to open the camera app (which by the way starts slower than on stock Android 6), the secondary mic noise suppression (which wasn't working anymore on mine anyway) and the service tests opened with the *#*#SERVICE#*#* code.

About this new LineageOS 18.1 (I used MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103), I didn't notice any problem compared to 17.1.
In fact, using Migrate to restore all apps and settings, I almost thought the update didn't work since it booted like usual.

For the other users, in addition to Migrate, I of course reinstalled Magisk, which doesn't work natively (even with the workaround of installing 20.4 first) on this new 18.1 build. The boot_patch.sh file has to be modified, I've attached a version of Magisk 22.1 with that file already modified (works at least on Z3C). NeoArian: is there any way to modify the builds so that they use init instead of init.real?

I did some basic testing
Pretty extensive "basic testing"!

• phone calls are working, but I believe that microphones are swapped, using the upper one as main, resulting in a low volume during calls
- Phone calls were fine on 17.1, haven't checked yet on 18.1. UPDATE: still fine on 18.1
- LTE works here (at least band 1). I'll see if I can connect to different bands.
I don't know if it helps, but here's what modemcaps says:
========================================
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Model ID : z3c
SoC : SDM800
Modem HW : MTP (msm)
Modem FW : 8974-AAAAANAZQ-00112-61
Modem Link : Generation 2 (Channel 0)
Kernel Base : Linux 3.4.113
Kernel Fork : gb76b4a9ae603
Sys Version : Android 11 (armeabi-v7a)
App Version : 2019-12-27-10 (armeabi-v7a)
https://t.me/ru_fieldtest_modemcaps
SIM Card : Single SIM
LTE CA : Is not supported
LTE Voice : GSM/UMTS CS Fallback
CDMA2000 1X CS Fallback
VoLTE
Radios : 2G GSM
3G UMTS
4G LTE
GSM Bands : B3 (1800 FDD)
B8 (900/E FDD)
B- (900/P FDD)
B5 (850 FDD)
B2 (1900 FDD)
UMTS Bands : B1 (2100 FDD)
B2 (1900 FDD)
B4 (1700 FDD)
B5 (850 FDD)
B8 (900 FDD)
LTE Bands : B1 (2100 FDD)
B2 (1900 FDD)
B3 (1800 FDD)
B4 (2100 FDD)
B5 (850 FDD)
B7 (2600 FDD)
B8 (900 FDD)
B13 (700 FDD)
B17 (700 FDD)
B20 (800 FDD)

- Double tap to wake didn't work for me on stock Android 6 (at least when on deep sleep). It seems to work now which is an improvement.
- GPS works fine.

I'm using it from now on, so I'll report any problem.

Attachments

• Magisk-v22.1_mod_sony.apk
    6.4 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

wtor68

Nov 4, 2017
Good Evening!

Happy flashing!
First thank you NeoArian and all other developers involved for your great work! I also did some short tests and found nothing which was not working. I worked with OpenGapps test build of 20210130. I tested:

- WLAN
- Bluethooth
- Mobil date
- phone call
- Camera/Video/flash light
- Audio and video playback
- normal usage like my los 17.1 daily driver

I used some configuration like i did on my los 17.1 daily driver and it looks really good! Unfortunately I cannot test GPS as my test device had an hardware problem here.

So really fine from my side here, only the test with Magisk to root the device didn't work. But this shouldn't be related to los 18.1. Hopefully Magisk will be functional sometimes later.

Thanks again!

Aleomar30

Apr 19, 2021
Hello
I just installed this ROM on my z3c, which has a faulty touch and I use it with a mouse.
The problem is that there is a kind of highlighting on the desktop icons and I don't know why (could it be because of the mouse?)

Thanks in advance !!

Attachments

• Polish_20210418_232820120.png
    Polish_20210418_232820120.png
    910.7 KB · Views: 17

pawloland

Jan 23, 2019
Hello
I just installed this ROM on my z3c, which has a faulty touch and I use it with a mouse.
The problem is that there is a kind of highlighting on the desktop icons and I don't know why (could it be because of the mouse?)

Thanks in advance !!
Yes, it is because of a mouse. It has something to do with a scroll.

marcypan

Sep 7, 2017
Warsaw/Warszawa
Hello, I installed 18.1 yesterday (oh boy, it was hard and expensive - SIM Lock with 0 attempts) and I'm impressed. I didn't installed GApps as I can't found ARM pack (anyone help me plz 😁). I skipped LOS17.1 so I compare it to stock 6.0 and in my opinion it's noticably faster and battery lasts longer however maybe because I have no GApps.

Tested so far
- WiFi
- Mobile data
- Phone calls (calling and answering)
- Bluetooth (sending/receiving files, earphones, Xbox gamepad, keyboard)
- GPS (not so advanced tests, I'll test it later)
- Camera (photos, video in front and rear cams, flashlight)
- OTG (pendrives and mouse)
- Screenshots
- Receiving SMS, but not sending (inactive number)
- Charging using microUSB and magnetic connector

Not tested yet:
- Hotspot
- NFC
- Screen recording
- Screen mirroring

Found some visual bugs but not sure if it's LOS or Nova Launcher in beta channel so I'll check it and give info later.

I'm waiting for future builds for tests and hope they'll be [OFFICIAL]!

Reactions: armorgeddon

Samare

Nov 6, 2014
About this new LineageOS 18.1 (I used MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103), I didn't notice any problem compared to 17.1.
In fact, using Migrate to restore all apps and settings, I almost thought the update didn't work since it booted like usual.
I don't think I wiped data which is why everything was already configured.
Maybe that or MindTheGapps explains the wakelocks.
I'll check it again later with the data wipe.

In the mean time, I went back to 17.1 (20210420) where everything is still fine.

NeoArian

Recognized Developer
Nov 25, 2017
Thanks to everyone for the really detailed testing :) I really appreciate it.
Since yesterday (still on 18.1), I have two kernel wakelocks preventing deep sleep:
- msm_serial_hs_dma
- BTLowPower

I used BBS with the adb shell settings put global hidden_api_policy 1 fix to check the wakelocks.
Regarding the BTLowPower wakelock, @J_C_D has fixed that on lineage-17.1 recently and at this time the lineage-18.1 branch was already forked. I will make sure to include the fix for lineage-18.1 with the next update.

wtor68

Nov 4, 2017
My previous experiences with installing unofficial builds were not as great as this one.
The only things I miss compared to stock Android 6 are the camera button full press to open the camera app (which by the way starts slower than on stock Android 6), the secondary mic noise suppression (which wasn't working anymore on mine anyway) and the service tests opened with the *#*#SERVICE#*#* code.

For the other users, in addition to Migrate, I of course reinstalled Magisk, which doesn't work natively (even with the workaround of installing 20.4 first) on this new 18.1 build. The boot_patch.sh file has to be modified, I've attached a version of Magisk 22.1 with that file already modified (works at least on Z3C). NeoArian: is there any way to modify the builds so that they use init instead of init.real?

- Phone calls were fine on 17.1, haven't checked yet on 18.1. UPDATE: still fine on 18.1
- LTE works here (at least band 1). I'll see if I can connect to different bands.
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
CDMA2000 1X CS Fallback
VoLTE
3G UMTS
4G LTE
B8 (900/E FDD)
B- (900/P FDD)
B5 (850 FDD)
B2 (1900 FDD)
B2 (1900 FDD)
B4 (1700 FDD)
B5 (850 FDD)
B8 (900 FDD)
B2 (1900 FDD)
B3 (1800 FDD)
B4 (2100 FDD)
B5 (850 FDD)
B7 (2600 FDD)
B8 (900 FDD)
B13 (700 FDD)
B17 (700 FDD)
B20 (800 FDD)

- Double tap to wake didn't work for me on stock Android 6 (at least when on deep sleep). It seems to work now which is an improvement.
- GPS works fine.

Hello Samare,

i tried your fixed Magisk package for sony z3c but it doesn't install on my device with lineageos 18.1. If i click for install i got the error message that an error occurred at parsing the package. Is there anything to mind to get it installed?

Thanks!

Samare

Nov 6, 2014
Hello Samare,

i tried your fixed Magisk package for sony z3c but it doesn't install on my device with lineageos 18.1. If i click for install i got the error message that an error occurred at parsing the package. Is there anything to mind to get it installed?

Thanks!
I flashed it on TWRP after renaming it to .zip

Last edited:

wtor68

Nov 4, 2017
I flashed it on TWRP after renaming it to .zip
I already tried the TWRP way. Then the app is there but if i click on it, it asked: "upgrade to full magisk manager to finish the setup. Download and install?" I can only say 'cancel' which doesn't help or 'ok' but then i got he same error like before (error occurred at parsing the package). I don't know the problem here. It's only this package, other apk's install without problems.

Samare

Nov 6, 2014
I already tried the TWRP way. Then the app is there but if i click on it, it asked: "upgrade to full magisk manager to finish the setup. Download and install?" I can only say 'cancel' which doesn't help or 'ok' but then i got he same error like before (error occurred at parsing the package). I don't know the problem here. It's only this package, other apk's install without problems.
I'm guessing the flashing finished with no error? Then you could try installing the same file (this time with the .apk extension) inside Android.

Last edited:

wtor68

Nov 4, 2017
I'm guessing the flashing finished with no error? Then you could try installing the same file (this time with the .apk extension) inside Android.
Yes no flash error but same parser error afterwards at installing apk. Now i tried to install the apk by adb. Here i saw some kind of certificate error. So i fixed the apk by zipalign / apksigner and it installed without problems. Root is back now! But i don't know why it works on your side without this...

Last edited:

Samare

Nov 6, 2014
Yes no flash error but same parser error afterwards at installing apk. Now i tried to install the apk by adb. Here i saw some kind of certificate error. So i fixed the apk by zipalign / apksigner and it installed without problems. Root is back now! But i don't know why it works on your side without this...
Indeed, since I modified it the signature wasn't valid anymore.
On 18.1 I didn't wipe data so the older version was already installed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to everyone for the really detailed testing :) I really appreciate it.
    Since yesterday (still on 18.1), I have two kernel wakelocks preventing deep sleep:
    - msm_serial_hs_dma
    - BTLowPower

I used BBS with the adb shell settings put global hidden_api_policy 1 fix to check the wakelocks.
    Regarding the BTLowPower wakelock, @J_C_D has fixed that on lineage-17.1 recently and at this time the lineage-18.1 branch was already forked. I will make sure to include the fix for lineage-18.1 with the next update.
    Good Evening!

Happy flashing!

It's been a while since last time I did test a new Android version on this smartphone.
    First of all, I'd like to thank you all maintainers for your effort and to congratulate for the great work done with this first build of lineage 18.1.
    I did some basic testing (don't expect anything too accurate, since this is not my main device for a while) which I'll resume below:
    • Booting was fine and time is quite comparable with previous lineage versions
    • I succesfully installed a test build of OpenGapps (micro configuration of 20210130), which seems to work pretty well
    • account setup and sync works
    • WiFi working at both 2.4/5 GHz
    • Bluetooth working fine, I had no problems connecting to my bluetooth earbuds and listen to some music
    • NearbySharing is working like a charm and quite fast too
    • online charging is working at full speed (about 1800 mA with a quickcharge 3.0 wall charger)
    • MTP working
    • OTG works for both input devices (mouse, keyboard, etc..) or mass storage
    • camera is fully working (taking pictures with both front/rear cameras, taking videos, flash)
    • audio is fine
    • video playback also seems to be fine (tested on youtube at 1080p)
    • chromecast works, in fact I did cast screen and youtube to a Google Nest Hub without any problem
    • the OS is overall responsive and snappy, even with gapps installed
    • screen rotation, accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, etc.. all fine
    • I couldn't test hotspot since, as I said, I was stuck at 2G connection which was quite unresponsive
    I hope I did not forget something important.
    I'm going to keep this installed since it's really stable, so feel free to ask me for some other testing and I'll for sure try to do that as soon as I have some spare time :)
    Good Evening!

Happy flashing!

I did some basic testing

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
    CDMA2000 1X CS Fallback
    VoLTE
    3G UMTS
    4G LTE
    B8 (900/E FDD)
    B- (900/P FDD)
    B5 (850 FDD)
    B2 (1900 FDD)
    B2 (1900 FDD)
    B4 (1700 FDD)
    B5 (850 FDD)
    B8 (900 FDD)
    B2 (1900 FDD)
    B3 (1800 FDD)
    B4 (2100 FDD)
    B5 (850 FDD)
    B7 (2600 FDD)
    B8 (900 FDD)
    B13 (700 FDD)
    B17 (700 FDD)
    B20 (800 FDD)

- GPS works fine.

Good Evening!

Happy flashing!
    First thank you NeoArian and all other developers involved for your great work! I also did some short tests and found nothing which was not working. I worked with OpenGapps test build of 20210130. I tested:

- WLAN
    - Bluethooth
    - Mobil date
    - phone call
    - Camera/Video/flash light
    - Audio and video playback
    - normal usage like my los 17.1 daily driver

I used some configuration like i did on my los 17.1 daily driver and it looks really good! Unfortunately I cannot test GPS as my test device had an hardware problem here.

So really fine from my side here, only the test with Magisk to root the device didn't work. But this shouldn't be related to los 18.1. Hopefully Magisk will be functional sometimes later.

Thanks again!
    This occasionally happens to me when flashing the Z3C and other Sony devices. I can usually get round it by taking the following steps in TWRP:
    1. Backup your data partition
    2. Format - not just wipe - the data partition
    3. Flash the new ROM - I usually do it by installing from SD card, but `adb sideload` should work too
    4. Boot the phone and go through the setup wizard app, setting any screen pattern or PIN you had previously.
    5. Restore the backup of your data partition
    I hope that helps

Thank you very much ! It was indeed the right procedure !

It saved me a lot of time. Thanks.
    Good Evening!

Happy flashing!
    2okPze5.png

Introduction
    LineageOS, an open-source Android distribution, is available for several devices,
    with more being continuously added thanks to the biggest, yet ever growing, Android open-source community.
    Join us and breathe new life in your device, be it old or new.
    If you don't know LineageOS and would like to read about it before installing it you can take a look at the official Website.

Features
    Individuality
    Customization is paramount to productivity.
    That’s why LineageOS promises to push for user personalization and preference.
    Everyone is unique and your device should be too.
    Security
    Your data, your rules. With powerful tools such as Privacy Guard, you are in control of what your apps can do whenever you want.
    Trust will help you understand the security of your device and warn you about possible threats.
    We take security very seriously: that’s why we deliver security updates every month to all our supported devices.
    And to make your device more secure, lock everything behind an enhanced lock screen.
    Longevity
    LineageOS extends the functionality and lifespan of mobile devices from more than 20 different manufacturers thanks to our open-source community of contributors from all around the world.

Installation:
    If you are on stock OS, you need a custom recovery first. You can get the recommended recovery in the official installation instructions link below.
    If you are coming from stock or other ROMs, you need to make a factory reset.
    As always, make sure to backup before installing this ROM.

More detailed instructions at:
    Install LineageOS on z3c

Downloads
    Download LineageOS 17.1 for Xperia Z3 Compact.
    If you prefer TWRP over Lineage recovery, you can get it here.
    Recommended Google Apps package: Open GApps (choose ARM as Platform and 10.0 as Android, use the Variant you want. Recommended nano package)

Source code
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

The device specific source code can be found in the LineageOS Github repo.
    Z3 Compact device tree
    Sony Shinano common device tree
    Sony MSM8974 common device tree
    Sony MSM8974 kernel
    The used defconfig is lineageos_shinano_aries_defconfig.

Changelog:
    Changes for z3c

Bug reports:
    How to submit a bug report
    LineageOS GitLab

Donate to support development:
    Donate via PayPal to NeoArian
    Donate via PayPal to LineageOS

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 17.1 for z3c, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Contributors
    NeoArian
    ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information

Created 2020-09-08
    Last Updated 2020-09-12
    Hello @NeoArian , hello community. I'am very happy to see that the "BTLowPower" wakelock issue was fixed by @J_C_D and that it was merged into the android_kernel_sony_msm8974 repository last week. Thanks to all of you that spend your time supporting the Z3C and other older devices until now.
    Yes, that's right.
    When Safe Start is turned on, the accelerometer does not work. Therefore, screen rotation, light sensor does not work.
    Thanks for the report. We were able to reproduce it and have fixed it. We will merge the fix within some days so that it will be fixed in the upcoming releases.
    Greetings, arian.
    GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!!!
    I managed to finally fix the persistent "BTLowPower" wakelock
    which caused the CPU to no longer enter Deep Sleep state and thus resulted in high battery drain once Bluetooth had been enabled! 🍻

UPDATE: I just found a much simpler solution that does the trick! The real culprit was a #ifdef in BT Power Management that was introduced by a commit in July 2019 and then has fallen into oblivion :ROFLMAO:.
    Fixed! -> Version 3.
    @tblr0ne , @L.Lmar : can you please also test this version?

*** TESTERS NEEDED! ***

Find attached the modified boot.img. USE AT OWN RISK!

Installation:
    - reboot Z3C into Bootloader (Vol+)
    - flash new boot image over current LineageOS17.1 installation using fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot-BTLowPower-fix-3.img
    - reboot
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

NOTE for Magisk users:

After flashing the new boot image, it is required to re-install Magisk. Do this by immediately booting into TWRP after the new boot image is flashed.
    Also note that you need Magisk v20.4 for this! Later versions won't work.
    Anyway, you will be able to upgrade Magisk to up-to-date versions using Magisk Manager after the system has booted.

@NeoArian when everything seems ok, I will create a merge request in LineageOS/android_kernel_sony_msm8974. Is this the correct place / way to go?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone