[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for z3c

Search This thread

Serf95

Oct 24, 2020
PHP:
I used both Recovery and Lineage with same version 20201103. But now I tried as you suggested: with TWRP from main post in this thread. Exactly same result LOS loading screen.
This time I tried with pin instead of password.
I'm doing something wrong or there is some issue indeed.
Encryption works by the described scheme. You may have made a mistake somewhere. Install the official sony firmware and then try again.
@NeoArian The screen is immediately locked after the screen is automatically turned off. The set delays do not work, which should wait a few minutes after the screen is turned off, before blocking. Will it be fixed in future firmware?

Gps does not work in Compass applications.

Last edited:

NeoArian

Recognized Developer
  • Nov 25, 2017
    Sony Xperia Z2
    Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
    I used both Recovery and Lineage with same version 20201103. But now I tried as you suggested: with TWRP from main post in this thread. Exactly same result LOS loading screen.
    This time I tried with pin instead of password.
    I'm doing something wrong or there is some issue indeed.

I have just tried to encrypt my device with a pin and it worked as expected.
    Could you maybe try again or get some logs so that we can look further into it?
    Also, as Serf95 told you, it's worth a try to flash the latest stock firmware again before trying it.

PHP:
    Encryption works by the described scheme. You may have made a mistake somewhere. Install the official sony firmware and then try again.
    @NeoArian The screen is immediately locked after the screen is automatically turned off. The set delays do not work, which should wait a few minutes after the screen is turned off, before blocking. Will it be fixed in future firmware?

Gps does not work in Compass applications.
    We are looking into the screen lock issue. Was the GPS behaviour better from builds which are older then a week? We have merged some GPS patches.

Last edited:

Zwulfulfsn

Jan 13, 2020
    The known sound issues where resolved in last build (lineage-17.1-20201103-nightly-z3c-signed.zip).
    From my point of view there was an improvement in GPS accuracy after merging the GPS-patches. Now I see some active SBAS-satellites again in the app "GPSTest" . I have no google services installed on my device.
    I also have no touch sensitivity issues at my device. Thank you @NeoArian for your support - everything is working fine on my z3c.

MaximusDM91

Nov 5, 2020
    Hi NeoArian
    I have an issue with wifi connecting with my z3c since October update, wifi sometimes freezing and i cant open settings, digging around and find a ticket bug on lineage page about this and a reddit topic with similar issue:
    reddit com/r/LineageOS/comments/fh1zqg/lineageos_wifi_broken/
    gitlab com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/2347
    If you have the time can you look into it ?Just try the new 1103 update and still got that error. Currently stay in 0922 update

wtor68

Nov 4, 2017
    Hi NeoArian
    I have an issue with wifi connecting with my z3c since October update, wifi sometimes freezing and i cant open settings, digging around and find a ticket bug on lineage page about this and a reddit topic with similar issue:
    reddit com/r/LineageOS/comments/fh1zqg/lineageos_wifi_broken/
    gitlab com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/2347
    If you have the time can you look into it ?Just try the new 1103 update and still got that error. Currently stay in 0922 update

I can confirm this problem, but i have this problem also before october on two devices. It happens sometimes in different intervals. At the point where i cannot change the wifi settings also a system reboot or power off doesn't work, the device stays in an endless loop showing the shutdown logo. Only hard power off helps in that case.

ussser

Jan 19, 2012
    Regarding GPS:
    The only build it worked flawlessly was the lineage-17.1-20201020-nightly-z3c-signed.zip
    Unfortunately it doesn't work on the current build.

Sent from my Xperia Z3 Compact using Tapatalk

wtor68

Nov 4, 2017
    Regarding GPS:
    The only build it worked flawlessly was the lineage-17.1-20201020-nightly-z3c-signed.zip
    Unfortunately it doesn't work on the current build.

No problem here, GPS works without problems (also without google services).

ussser

Jan 19, 2012
    GPS fixes rapidly, but when in a car using Waze or other GPS dependent software it looses signal sometimes. This was not the case on october 20 build.

crott

Jul 25, 2014
    Wroclaw
    www.netcreate.pl
    I have just tried to encrypt my device with a pin and it worked as expected.
    Could you maybe try again or get some logs so that we can look further into it?
    Also, as Serf95 told you, it's worth a try to flash the latest stock firmware again before trying it.

We are looking into the screen lock issue. Was the GPS behaviour better from builds which are older then a week? We have merged some GPS patches.

I have no Windows, so as far as I understand, I can't flash to latest stock firmware without Windows.
    So I've made few more other attempts, including:
    - older version LOS 17 with older recovery
    - with TWRP or with LOS recovery
    - alternative system - Carbon
    All above had exactly same issue: can't start LOS with encryption enabled. Now I suspect I must have done something wrong ;)

But I found one instance where encryption is working: that is when I install LOS without gapps. That's fine by me, I'm happy to live without gapps.
    But now GPS is not working :) Which it did before with gapps and no encrypton. But it is not as a deal-breaker as no-ecryption was :) I'm almost happy now using lineage-17.1-20201103-nightly-z3c-signed.

Cheers

pawloland

Jan 23, 2019
    I have no Windows, so as far as I understand, I can't flash to latest stock firmware without Windows.
    All above had exactly same issue: can't start LOS with encryption enabled. Now I suspect I must have done something wrong ;)

But I found one instance where encryption is working: that is when I install LOS without gapps. That's fine by me, I'm happy to live without gapps.
    But now GPS is not working :) Which it did before with gapps and no encrypton. But it is not as a deal-breaker as no-ecryption was :) I'm almost happy now using lineage-17.1-20201103-nightly-z3c-signed.

Cheers
    You can try to flash latest firmware on windows vm. I know that virtual box has option to forward host's OS usb to virtual mashine, so in theory it would make you able to flash latest version of firmware without windows installed on physical drive, but through vm.

Last edited:

t.Lancer

Jun 14, 2010
    I'm using the latest nightly build, lineage-17.1-20201103, and I'm using a 128GB sandisk microSD card as internal storage. but every time I restart the phone, I have to reinsert the card because it thinks it's missing. When I look under storage, it is still listed, but as unknown or corrupted. reinserting makes it work again, but some app already get messed up by then and switch to the 16GB internal storage of the phone. That really messes things up for things like Spotifiy, as my entire downloaded files are lost and I have to clear all data for some apps for them to use the sd card again.

is this issues known, and is there a work around to get the SD card to work after a reboot? No amount of waiting after a reboot makes any difference.

also my phone does not seem to be doing into deep sleep. the process msm_serial_hs_dma is always at 100%, as well as BTLowPower.

Last edited:
    Reactions: hrsh45

crott

Jul 25, 2014
    Wroclaw
    www.netcreate.pl
    You can try to flash latest firmware on windows vm. I know that virtual box has option to forward host's OS usb to virtual mashine, so in theory it would make you able to flash latest version of firmware without windows installed on physical drive, but through vm.
    Thanks, yes I know that, but I'm not willing to use Windows in any capacity. That's against my beliefs :angel: So will stay as is - without GPS and GAPPS :highfive:
    I'm sooo happy at this moment with phone this small, it's awesome! Thanks!

dolons

Dec 6, 2011

Cheers

Latest LOS without gapps. but GPS works really well. Fast fix and no problems.

-->Anybody know, how deactivate Emergerncy Call Button on Hardware Start Button??
    And i can´t find Restart to Recovery Button similar to the old LOS Versions?

Thx for the Support for Z3c - LOS 17.1!!

t.Lancer

Jun 14, 2010
    So after a fresh reinstall of lineage-17.1-20201103, the wake lock persists. only thing installed was gapps micro, magisk and better battery stats. This version is obviously bugged.

msm_serial_hs_dma and BTLowPower continue to prevent the phone from sleeping.

john_matrix

Nov 22, 2008
    France
    No, Flashtool is available also for Linux and OSX (I flashed mine with Linux):
    http://www.flashtool.net/index.php

If your camera does not work after using Flashtool and Lineage OS 17.1 then you still need Windows and Emma to flash the stock ROM.

Camera on my Z3C never work on LOS17.1.
    On LOS16 no issues so I will try to flash the stock ROM and after LOS17.1 to try if camera will work again as advised.
    Thanks for the tips.

Xcl4m4t10n

Jan 25, 2017
    Hello,
    I installed the last version on normal way: Download it, copy to the phone and install through TWRP. But for some reason, it fried completly my phone, is stuck on boot start and, after a while, it resets.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Thanks to everyone for the really detailed testing :) I really appreciate it.
      Since yesterday (still on 18.1), I have two kernel wakelocks preventing deep sleep:
      - msm_serial_hs_dma
      - BTLowPower

I used BBS with the adb shell settings put global hidden_api_policy 1 fix to check the wakelocks.
      Regarding the BTLowPower wakelock, @J_C_D has fixed that on lineage-17.1 recently and at this time the lineage-18.1 branch was already forked. I will make sure to include the fix for lineage-18.1 with the next update.
      Good Evening!

It's the time again, you might have already noticed that lineage 18.1 is official for some devices now. We, the sony shinano maintainers, were not sleeping and have also prepared our device for 18.1. I have uploaded a test build here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ep...18.1/lineage-18.1-20210406-UNOFFICIAL-z3c.zip
      I would appreciate some testing/feedback on this build. There shouldn't be major issues on the test build, from my own testing it should be on-par with 17.1.
      I am optimistic that we can also achieve an official release of 18.1 for the z3c.

All source codes can be found on the lineageos github in lineage-18.1 branches + additional patches for sony msm8974 are up on gerrit: https://review.lineageos.org/q/status:open+-is:wip

Happy flashing!

Thank you NeoArian and all other developers!
      Your LineageOS 17.1 build really revived this small phone!
      My previous experiences with installing unofficial builds were not as great as this one.
      The only things I miss compared to stock Android 6 are the camera button full press to open the camera app (which by the way starts slower than on stock Android 6), the secondary mic noise suppression (which wasn't working anymore on mine anyway) and the service tests opened with the *#*#SERVICE#*#* code.

About this new LineageOS 18.1 (I used MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103), I didn't notice any problem compared to 17.1.
      In fact, using Migrate to restore all apps and settings, I almost thought the update didn't work since it booted like usual.

For the other users, in addition to Migrate, I of course reinstalled Magisk, which doesn't work natively (even with the workaround of installing 20.4 first) on this new 18.1 build. The boot_patch.sh file has to be modified, I've attached a version of Magisk 22.1 with that file already modified (works at least on Z3C). NeoArian: is there any way to modify the builds so that they use init instead of init.real?

I did some basic testing
      Pretty extensive "basic testing"!

• phone calls are working, but I believe that microphones are swapped, using the upper one as main, resulting in a low volume during calls
      • mobile data is stuck at EDGE for me, I couldn't get it to use LTE instead
      • double tap to wake and other classic gestures are fine
      • unfortunately I cannot test GPS or NFC neither
      - Phone calls were fine on 17.1, haven't checked yet on 18.1. UPDATE: still fine on 18.1
      - LTE works here (at least band 1). I'll see if I can connect to different bands.
      I don't know if it helps, but here's what modemcaps says:
      ========================================
      Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
      Model ID : z3c
      SoC : SDM800
      Modem HW : MTP (msm)
      Modem FW : 8974-AAAAANAZQ-00112-61
      Modem Link : Generation 2 (Channel 0)
      Kernel Base : Linux 3.4.113
      Kernel Fork : gb76b4a9ae603
      Sys Version : Android 11 (armeabi-v7a)
      App Version : 2019-12-27-10 (armeabi-v7a)
      https://t.me/ru_fieldtest_modemcaps
      ========================================
      SIM Card : Single SIM
      LTE CA : Is not supported
      LTE Voice : GSM/UMTS CS Fallback
      CDMA2000 1X CS Fallback
      VoLTE
      Radios : 2G GSM
      3G UMTS
      4G LTE
      GSM Bands : B3 (1800 FDD)
      B8 (900/E FDD)
      B- (900/P FDD)
      B5 (850 FDD)
      B2 (1900 FDD)
      UMTS Bands : B1 (2100 FDD)
      B2 (1900 FDD)
      B4 (1700 FDD)
      B5 (850 FDD)
      B8 (900 FDD)
      LTE Bands : B1 (2100 FDD)
      B2 (1900 FDD)
      B3 (1800 FDD)
      B4 (2100 FDD)
      B5 (850 FDD)
      B7 (2600 FDD)
      B8 (900 FDD)
      B13 (700 FDD)
      B17 (700 FDD)
      B20 (800 FDD)

- Double tap to wake didn't work for me on stock Android 6 (at least when on deep sleep). It seems to work now which is an improvement.
      - GPS works fine.

I'm using it from now on, so I'll report any problem.
      Good Evening!

It's the time again, you might have already noticed that lineage 18.1 is official for some devices now. We, the sony shinano maintainers, were not sleeping and have also prepared our device for 18.1. I have uploaded a test build here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ep...18.1/lineage-18.1-20210406-UNOFFICIAL-z3c.zip
      I would appreciate some testing/feedback on this build. There shouldn't be major issues on the test build, from my own testing it should be on-par with 17.1.
      I am optimistic that we can also achieve an official release of 18.1 for the z3c.

All source codes can be found on the lineageos github in lineage-18.1 branches + additional patches for sony msm8974 are up on gerrit: https://review.lineageos.org/q/status:open+-is:wip

Happy flashing!
      First thank you NeoArian and all other developers involved for your great work! I also did some short tests and found nothing which was not working. I worked with OpenGapps test build of 20210130. I tested:

- WLAN
      - Bluethooth
      - Mobil date
      - phone call
      - Camera/Video/flash light
      - Audio and video playback
      - normal usage like my los 17.1 daily driver

I used some configuration like i did on my los 17.1 daily driver and it looks really good! Unfortunately I cannot test GPS as my test device had an hardware problem here.

So really fine from my side here, only the test with Magisk to root the device didn't work. But this shouldn't be related to los 18.1. Hopefully Magisk will be functional sometimes later.

Thanks again!
      Hello, I installed 18.1 yesterday (oh boy, it was hard and expensive - SIM Lock with 0 attempts) and I'm impressed. I didn't installed GApps as I can't found ARM pack (anyone help me plz 😁). I skipped LOS17.1 so I compare it to stock 6.0 and in my opinion it's noticably faster and battery lasts longer however maybe because I have no GApps.

Tested so far
      - WiFi
      - Mobile data
      - Phone calls (calling and answering)
      - Bluetooth (sending/receiving files, earphones, Xbox gamepad, keyboard)
      - GPS (not so advanced tests, I'll test it later)
      - Camera (photos, video in front and rear cams, flashlight)
      - OTG (pendrives and mouse)
      - Screenshots
      - Receiving SMS, but not sending (inactive number)
      - Charging using microUSB and magnetic connector

Not tested yet:
      - Hotspot
      - NFC
      - Screen recording
      - Screen mirroring

Found some visual bugs but not sure if it's LOS or Nova Launcher in beta channel so I'll check it and give info later.

I'm waiting for future builds for tests and hope they'll be [OFFICIAL]!
      Since yesterday (still on 18.1), I have two kernel wakelocks preventing deep sleep:
      - msm_serial_hs_dma
      - BTLowPower

I used BBS with the adb shell settings put global hidden_api_policy 1 fix to check the wakelocks.
      Good Evening!

Happy flashing!
      2okPze5.png

Introduction
      LineageOS, an open-source Android distribution, is available for several devices,
      with more being continuously added thanks to the biggest, yet ever growing, Android open-source community.
      Join us and breathe new life in your device, be it old or new.
      If you don't know LineageOS and would like to read about it before installing it you can take a look at the official Website.

Features
      Individuality
      Customization is paramount to productivity.
      That’s why LineageOS promises to push for user personalization and preference.
      Everyone is unique and your device should be too.
      Security
      Your data, your rules. With powerful tools such as Privacy Guard, you are in control of what your apps can do whenever you want.
      Trust will help you understand the security of your device and warn you about possible threats.
      We take security very seriously: that’s why we deliver security updates every month to all our supported devices.
      And to make your device more secure, lock everything behind an enhanced lock screen.
      Longevity
      LineageOS extends the functionality and lifespan of mobile devices from more than 20 different manufacturers thanks to our open-source community of contributors from all around the world.

Installation:
      If you are on stock OS, you need a custom recovery first. You can get the recommended recovery in the official installation instructions link below.
      If you are coming from stock or other ROMs, you need to make a factory reset.
      As always, make sure to backup before installing this ROM.

More detailed instructions at:
      Install LineageOS on z3c

Downloads
      Download LineageOS 17.1 for Xperia Z3 Compact.
      If you prefer TWRP over Lineage recovery, you can get it here.
      Recommended Google Apps package: Open GApps (choose ARM as Platform and 10.0 as Android, use the Variant you want. Recommended nano package)

Source code
      All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

The device specific source code can be found in the LineageOS Github repo.
      Z3 Compact device tree
      Sony Shinano common device tree
      Sony MSM8974 common device tree
      Sony MSM8974 kernel
      The used defconfig is lineageos_shinano_aries_defconfig.

Changelog:
      Changes for z3c

Bug reports:
      How to submit a bug report
      LineageOS GitLab

Donate to support development:
      Donate via PayPal to NeoArian
      Donate via PayPal to LineageOS

XDA:DevDB Information
      LineageOS 17.1 for z3c, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Contributors
      NeoArian
      ROM OS Version: Android 10
      ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information

Created 2020-09-08
      Last Updated 2020-09-12
      Hello @NeoArian , hello community. I'am very happy to see that the "BTLowPower" wakelock issue was fixed by @J_C_D and that it was merged into the android_kernel_sony_msm8974 repository last week. Thanks to all of you that spend your time supporting the Z3C and other older devices until now.
      Yes, that's right.
      When Safe Start is turned on, the accelerometer does not work. Therefore, screen rotation, light sensor does not work.
      Thanks for the report. We were able to reproduce it and have fixed it. We will merge the fix within some days so that it will be fixed in the upcoming releases.
      Greetings, arian.
      GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!!!
      I managed to finally fix the persistent "BTLowPower" wakelock
      which caused the CPU to no longer enter Deep Sleep state and thus resulted in high battery drain once Bluetooth had been enabled! 🍻

UPDATE: I just found a much simpler solution that does the trick! The real culprit was a #ifdef in BT Power Management that was introduced by a commit in July 2019 and then has fallen into oblivion :ROFLMAO:.
      Fixed! -> Version 3.
      @tblr0ne , @L.Lmar : can you please also test this version?

*** TESTERS NEEDED! ***

Find attached the modified boot.img. USE AT OWN RISK!

Installation:
      - reboot Z3C into Bootloader (Vol+)
      - flash new boot image over current LineageOS17.1 installation using fastboot
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot-BTLowPower-fix-3.img
      - reboot
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

NOTE for Magisk users:

After flashing the new boot image, it is required to re-install Magisk. Do this by immediately booting into TWRP after the new boot image is flashed.
      Also note that you need Magisk v20.4 for this! Later versions won't work.
      Anyway, you will be able to upgrade Magisk to up-to-date versions using Magisk Manager after the system has booted.

@NeoArian when everything seems ok, I will create a merge request in LineageOS/android_kernel_sony_msm8974. Is this the correct place / way to go?
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone