[CLOSED][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Essential Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
yeah i figured twrp was switching slots. its probably because thats what ota's do. twrp needs an option to switch back after flashing but thats not going to happen because its not being developed. my downloads are fine, but when i try to flash something with sideload in los recovery, it says its not signed which makes sense and it lets me hit "yes install anyway", but then it just reboots recovery. maybe if i could just turn off signature validation before hand in los recovery, it would just work, i dont know. but you cant do that in los recovery though.
With los recovery you need to reboot to recovery after the ROM install. Then you should be able to install gapps and magisk.

Excelsis27

Sep 8, 2013
I flashed 18.1 last night and everything works flawlessly except using VoLTE (T-Mobile, USA). Before the update I was still using the last build of LOS 16.0 with no issues.

When VoLTE is active, it sounds as though there is a mouse high on helium and meth on the other end of the phone. I tried this with the TMobile voicemail number and other phone numbers. It only manifests with VoLTE is enabled, whether wifi calling is used or not. Otherwise it's fine. With VoLTE disabled, I can make and receive calls with seemingly no issues. Installed per the instructions in first post using MindTheGapps.

Is this something I should wait and see if a fix comes in the next few builds?

If you mean a high pitched noise, kinda like coil whine, coming from the top speaker, I think that's an issue with the PH-1, as I've had that problem since I bought mine a couple years ago, on stock ROMs. Quick look around on google confirms that other people have had that same issue since the phone came out.

Not sure it would be possible to fix this, seems like a hardware issue...

R_THNDR

Apr 9, 2021
If you mean a high pitched noise, kinda like coil whine, coming from the top speaker, I think that's an issue with the PH-1, as I've had that problem since I bought mine a couple years ago, on stock ROMs. Quick look around on google confirms that other people have had that same issue since the phone came out.

Not sure it would be possible to fix this, seems like a hardware issue...
No, I don't think it is in the speaker hardware. I played around with changing APNs and toggling WIFI calling and VoLTE. It seems like it's something with VoLTE specifically. When VoLTE is on, all calls (in and out) sound as though the audio signal has been drastically sped up, and then the time stamp realigns so there is a squeaky pulse of audio that roughly aligns with the voice on the other end. When VoLTE is off, I can call and hear the other end just fine.

I can only assume it's something with LOS 18.1 as I didn't have this issue on LOS 16.0. There are a few bug reports for other devices on TMobile. I'm not sure if I should as this as one or not. It's been ages since I've done much in the way of flashing custom roms.

Thanks for not reading anything I said. The problem is LOS recovery reboots when I accept unsigned sideloads.

Thanks for not reading anything I said. The problem is LOS recovery reboots when I accept unsigned sideloads.
I did read your posts. I had that happen once because I didn't reboot between installing the ROM And Gapps. The problem is when installing a ROM with TWRP or Los recovery it installs to the opposite slot so you must reboot to recovery and then install Gapps.

Last edited:

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
I did read your posts. I had that happen once because I didn't reboot between installing the ROM And Gapps. The problem is when installing a ROM with TWRP or Los recovery it installs to the opposite slot so you must reboot to recovery and then install Gapps.
Ive done that. LOS recovery still reboots when accepting unsigned zips.

mervinb

May 8, 2015
I have updated from official 17.1 to 18.1. A clean install was needed.

The chrome freeze means I can only use the LOS browser for now. This freeze also occurs with Vivaldi browser.

Magisk installed without issue via LOS recovery update (I renamed the .apk to .zip).

If the browser freezes can be addressed, it looks like this will be a solid ROM.

moichman

Sep 12, 2018
this is so minor, that i almost don't mention it. but it's also a tidbit of information that may be useful to know.
somehow, the sound panel got to the left side of the phone, when i use the volume up/down buttons. i'm already used to it so , on a scale of 1 to 10, it's a zero...but still...i am curious what i did.

lynnux

Jun 4, 2013
this is so minor, that i almost don't mention it. but it's also a tidbit of information that may be useful to know.
somehow, the sound panel got to the left side of the phone, when i use the volume up/down buttons. i'm already used to it so , on a scale of 1 to 10, it's a zero...but still...i am curious what i did.
It seems there's now a setting for this, "Show panel on left" under Buttons, in Settings.

Chrome is working fine for me, no crashes. Some Google apps had this crashing problem a few weeks ago, fixed by an update to Android System Webview and Chrome. Not sure if some are still experiencing this because they didn't update, or if they're experiencing a different issue.

Reactions: moichman

moichman

Sep 12, 2018
It seems there's now a setting for this, "Show panel on left" under Buttons, in Settings.

Chrome is working fine for me, no crashes. Some Google apps had this crashing problem a few weeks ago, fixed by an update to Android System Webview and Chrome. Not sure if some are still experiencing this because they didn't update, or if they're experiencing a different issue.

yep. it was right there. i had previously looked under sound.
thanks!

mervinb

May 8, 2015
Apart from its relatively poor battery performance, my PH-1 with Lineageos 18.1 is exceeding all expectations!

While my Pixel 4A is awaiting service for dodgy volume and power buttons, it's serving me well. But there are a series of gotchas to getting a frustration-free experience:

1. Installation:

Using linux adb, I was failing all the time at fastboot flash boot. The solution is that the newest linux adb has a different option for flashing boot:

# fastboot flash:raw boot_a lineage-18.1-20210412-recovery-mata.img (your image version may vary)

2. Chrome (and Vivaldi browser) freeze - 100% consistent on both my PH-1, one coming from Lineageos 17.1, the other from stock ROM:

Using the QQ1A.200105.032 fastboot zip, extract the modem image (modem.img)

# fastboot flash modem_a modem.img
# fastboot flash modem_b modem.img

3. Installing and updating Magisk:

I couldn't install using the latest standard method (extract boot.img / patch / flash), presumably because I had not found the new "flashboot flash:raw" syntax at that time. My guess is that it would work. However the rename magisk.apk to .zip / recovery / apply update method did work.

To keep Magisk through an OTA update:

- Uninstall Magisk
- Download and install OTA update, but do not reboot
- Install Magisk (from the app), using the 3rd option (Install to Inactive Slot after OTA); Magisk reboot

Hope this reduces frustration and significant search / trial and error time for some of you.

(It would be really useful if the most current tips are kept on the original post #1)

thiagobaur

Oct 28, 2011
Essential Phone
Apart from its relatively poor battery performance, my PH-1 with Lineageos 18.1 is exceeding all expectations!

While my Pixel 4A is awaiting service for dodgy volume and power buttons, it's serving me well. But there are a series of gotchas to getting a frustration-free experience:

1. Installation:

Using linux adb, I was failing all the time at fastboot flash boot. The solution is that the newest linux adb has a different option for flashing boot:

# fastboot flash:raw boot_a lineage-18.1-20210412-recovery-mata.img (your image version may vary)

2. Chrome (and Vivaldi browser) freeze - 100% consistent on both my PH-1, one coming from Lineageos 17.1, the other from stock ROM:

3. Installing and updating Magisk:

I couldn't install using the latest standard method (extract boot.img / patch / flash), presumably because I had not found the new "flashboot flash:raw" syntax at that time. My guess is that it would work. However the rename magisk.apk to .zip / recovery / apply update method did work.

To keep Magisk through an OTA update:

- Uninstall Magisk
- Download and install OTA update, but do not reboot
- Install Magisk (from the app), using the 3rd option (Install to Inactive Slot after OTA); Magisk reboot

Hope this reduces frustration and significant search / trial and error time for some of you.

(It would be really useful if the most current tips are kept on the original post #1)
Hello man. Thank you for the tips!
Can you please give us more details about the freezing chrome issue?
I also came from stock QQ1A.200105.032 but I'm having the problem. I'm not sure how to flash firmware without losing the current rom. Also not sure of what file I should flash.

Thank you

Reactions: Pairman

mervinb

May 8, 2015
Hello man. Thank you for the tips!
Can you please give us more details about the freezing chrome issue?
I also came from stock QQ1A.200105.032 but I'm having the problem. I'm not sure how to flash firmware without losing the current rom. Also not sure of what file I should flash.

Thank you
What I posted is fairly comprehensive if you've used linux to install lineageos in the first place:

Sorry, can't help if you're on Mac or Win. The commands will be similar. You may want to read some articles on using fastboot, so that you have a better understanding what the two lines of fastboot commands are trying to achieve.

Reactions: Pairman

thiagobaur

Oct 28, 2011
Essential Phone
What I posted is fairly comprehensive if you've used linux to install lineageos in the first place:

Sorry, can't help if you're on Mac or Win. The commands will be similar. You may want to read some articles on using fastboot, so that you have a better understanding what the two lines of fastboot commands are trying to achieve.
Thank you!

I'm on windows but the commands are very similar.
I'm try that and see what happens.
What still strange for me is that I was at QQ1A.200105.032. So I assumed that it wouldn't be necessary.
Let's see.
Thank you again.

mervinb

May 8, 2015
Thank you!

I'm on windows but the commands are very similar.
I'm try that and see what happens.
What still strange for me is that I was at QQ1A.200105.032. So I assumed that it wouldn't be necessary.
Let's see.
Thank you again.
If the next OTA update brings back the chrome issue, then we can surmise that the lineageos zip includes a modem blob that causes the issue. If not, then I too wonder why..

Reactions: thiagobaur

mawdogbe

Dec 26, 2015
Essential Phone
Google Pixel 6
If the next OTA update brings back the chrome issue, then we can surmise that the lineageos zip includes a modem blob that causes the issue. If not, then I too wonder why..
From what I can tell, Chrome freezing has nothing to do with any particular ROM. I've never had the issue with any ROM I've tried on Mata. The key is to flash the stock January firmware and then flash the February vendor file before doing anything with ROMS. This also lets you use touch in TWRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Essential Phone

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Essential Phone.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_essential_msm8998
    Anyone else's gps unable to "go to/find my location"?
    Works in Google maps here....
    Hrm, I'm getting video playback issues. No sound and very slow playback. Allegedly it's firmware related. Anyone else experienced this?
    weird - can't replicate in youtube, file a bug ticket as per the wiki instructions please?
    I have been running Lineage 17.1 on my Essential PH-1.

I followed the procedure at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/mata/upgrade to upgrade.

I used lineage-18.1-20210419-nightly-mata-signed.zip and MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zip

The upgrade process completed successfully but I couldn't add an account. When I tapped on "Add account" the phone just beeped and did nothing.

Then I tried a clean install following the procedure at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/mata/install with the same files.

The result was the same.

How can I add a Google account to my Lineage 18.1 PH-1?
    uhhh - sounds like you need to wipe data - something sounds messed up.
    question I found a install video older but will this be the same as installing 18.1 I will have to add gapps to and install after the OS ? or just add the gapp along with the OS I'm a little rusty last phone I did linageOS on was a moto E4 plus
    here is the video
    Just follow the wiki guide and all will work fine.
    I seem to be having a more extreme problem of every app not responding and/or crashing. I've reflashed multiple times, redownloaded all files and ran checksum on files and always fine, tried multiple cables and tried different usb plugs on pc and all with same results. I'd try that statixos thing, but those instruction are using TWRP, which I could never get to work when I initially rooted last year, so I've just using LOS's recovery. Someone on reddit said you can't flash that zip using LOS's recovery, so I'm not sure what to do.
    you need to format /data and just follow the wiki guide, thing shouldn't crash, so long as you use lineage, and (if you want) mindthegapps
    Try crDroid, although not official but OP update regularly and the rom is stable, good enough for daily useage.
    please don't discuss other ROMs here - go elsewhere for that.
    Talking about StatixOS, what steps did you have problem with? For me, install StatixOS is so simple (possible device related?). If you have touch issue with TWRP, you can find the patch version of TWRP boot image in StatixOS telegram channel which gives you touch capability during flashing. Anyway here the sequence that I install it.

Make sure you're back to Jan stock before to process:

1. Copy StatixOS + TWRP installer + Gapps to phone
    2. Install TWRP boot image
    3. Wipe Davik/Cache/Data storage (don't wipe internal storage)
    4. Flash StatixOS
    5. Flash TWRP installer (I don't bother slot selection, just flash it, and it works for me all the time)
    6. Reboot back to TWRP recovery (important step if you want to install Gapps)
    7. Flash Gapps
    8. Reboot phone for phone setup
    9. Install Magisk if you want to root (I do this step last after the phone is fully function)
    Hope you can get it work.
    please don't discuss other ROMs here - go elsewhere for that.
    I don't want StatixOS itself. There was a post further back about pulling the firmware from StatixOS, flashing that, and then flashing Lineage OS. I don't know how to pull the firmware out of one ROM and install it on it's own before I then install LOS 18.1 as usual afrer. I don't want to use TWRP though as it never worked when I initially rooted last year, and I still see lots of people talk of issues with TWRP on the PH-1.
    Their firmware fix is placebo - it's the same firmware - I'm looking into the webview issue, and strongly suspect it'll be fixed in the next build (newer webview version built in).
    After the latest update my phone only reboots into bootloader. From there I can't even reboot into recovery, it keeps going back to bootloader. And, it's not detected on my computer via adb, which it was before. Any suggestions?

I usually manage to get out of trouble spots like this with my phone, this one has me stuck.
    Apologies, sepolicy mismatch after a merge on the qcom-common sepolicy repo. I've fixed it, the next build will not have this issue!
    Do you mean fastboot isn't detecting it? If you can get fastboot to recognize the device, I'd just go all the way back to stock and then re-flash the last build you were on before you started having issues.
    Apologies, sepolicy mismatch after a merge on the qcom-common sepolicy repo. I've fixed it, the next build will not have this issue!
    PSA: Newest update seems to not want to boot, using fastboot to switch slots back to the old one allows devices to boot again.

If installed, the newest update fails past the initial bootloader and doesn't boot from the boot_a/boot_b partition, whichever is newer, and adb won't work as far as I can tell, fastboot will work though provided you have the right drivers etc for your computer.

Feel free to ask me for help with switching slots if anyone needs, here or in a pm.
    I can't boot into system and constantly run into fastboot mode either. Having switched to the other slot to continue use the phone properly.

same thing happened to me. it rebooted to the bootloader. from there i was able to use the volume buttons to switch to recovery, though i didn't actually enter it. i went back to the bootloader.
    i was still able to detect the phone with fastboot devices, though. in the past, some usb ports on the laptop worked better than others, and i found that switching allowed for detection, again.

i switched slots and rebooted and the phone came back up to the previous version. when i tried installing, it came back with an error. when i tried again, it started the process, which i canceled. i deleted the download and then grabbed it again and installed.
    it rebooted to the bootloader, again.
    i switched slots,, again, and rebooted to previous version again.

with the essential builds, sideloading the ota did not lose any information. i am assuming the same is true for sideloading the lineageos zip? or no?
    Update: after the update failed and my phone couldn't get past bootloader, I left it in the charger. When I came back 30 minutes later it had rebooted into system. It's on the previous update, so I'm guessing it rebooted into the old slot.

When it was stuck in bootloader I was trying 'adb reboot ...', not fastboot, so that was my mistake. It probably would have gotten me unstuck.

Thanks mate! Appreciate you maintaining Lineage for our device
    There's a bug ticket open for it, unsure what the cause is, but we know about it and are trying.
    cool. it's not a huge deal. i just turn the call volume up and hold it away from my head. it's speakerphone'ish. thanks for the work you all do :)
    @npjohnson since you seem to be involved with the development of LOS, do you have any idea what's going on, on phone calls, with the loud speakerphone that doesn't respond to the volume keys? i can't remember, anymore, which versions of essential's builds had the same problem and i never read anything about what they did to fix it. i do remember that it wasn't an immediate fix.
    the fact that it did exist in essential's builds, oi LOS17.1, and now in LOS18.1, makes me think that it's something deeper than a ROM typically goes. but that is just my not-understanding-the-nuts-and-bolts-of-things thought. :)
    There's a bug ticket open for it, unsure what the cause is, but we know about it and are trying.