[CLOSED][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Essential Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

HeyItsTodd

Apr 23, 2016
I was able to install lineage-18.1-20210712-recovery-mata + lineage-18.1-20210712-nightly-mata-signed after many futile attempts to get TWRP installed (anybody have a clear and reliable document for this?).

Everything seems to be working pretty well (it's basically an MP3 player and isnt' used as a phone), save for Instagram Live - it shows a still image of the first frame only. Video ads, posts, and stories seem to be fine.

Has anyone else encountered this?

s-X-s

May 22, 2012
Sydney
www.weindians.net
Vivo X60 Pro
I have been using Havoc with Gapps for a few weeks now and only issue I have is with speakerphone. Highly recommend. Gotta say tho I don't stream too much video but am happy with battery and daily alarms. I wonder if your issue was with choosing tbe increasing alarm volume option. I got screwed with that option on some other rom. I just stay away from it now from paranoia.
I killed it man by relocking during the install. I knew it wan't a good idea but when I was flashing the img's its throwing errors. Needed 'flashing unlock critical'. But wasn't working and thought of relocking and unlocking again. But didn't realise it will require the developer options enabled again. But I had wiped the device b4. Now, i will have to open up to trigger the download mode to use QFIL.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
anyone managed to make NFC to work and "hey google" "ok google" to work??
Yes and Yes (with screen on).
Hi friends! I just installed LineageOs 18.1 can it be updated with OTA?
Of course.
friend currently I have firmware QQ1A.200105.032 what would be my version of January?
No need to do anything like that - flashing Lineage updates your firmware.
how do i flash February vendor file? and where do i get it? thanks.
Don't - 0 need. Lineage overwrites it anyway.

Reactions: pakpenyo

pakpenyo

Jul 24, 2015
There are tons of updates on gerrit from @npjohnson . And ineage-18.1-20210726 is missing from the repo.

So, i'm waiting for the latest build.

Smeg7

Jul 11, 2012
Regarding Chrome crashing, I seem to have fixed it by following some directions earlier in this thread, but I'll go ahead and write them up clearly since I had to put together a few posts for it to make sense to me.

tl;dr: I downloaded the PQ1A.190105.112.zip image from here, because of @aamadorj's research on finding a firmware that doesn't crash. Instead of flashing the whole firmware image, I thought I'd try just flashing the modem since that seemed a likely culprit, so I the grabbed the modem.img out of that zip and then flashed it. No Chrome crashes since.

Steps:
1. Download PQ1A.190105.112.zip image from here
2. Grab the modem.img from the zip file and move it to your platform-tools folder
3. Run command line in the platform-tools folder
4. Connect your phone to the computer, make sure USB debugging is enabled in the Dev Options on the phone
5. 'adb reboot bootloader' to reboot into the bootloader
6. 'fastboot flash modem modem.img' to flash the modem image
7. Reboot and Chrome should no longer be crashing

vinicioh23

Mar 22, 2015
Regarding Chrome crashing, I seem to have fixed it by following some directions earlier in this thread, but I'll go ahead and write them up clearly since I had to put together a few posts for it to make sense to me.

tl;dr: I downloaded the PQ1A.190105.112.zip image from here, because of @aamadorj's research on finding a firmware that doesn't crash. Instead of flashing the whole firmware image, I thought I'd try just flashing the modem since that seemed a likely culprit, so I the grabbed the modem.img out of that zip and then flashed it. No Chrome crashes since.

Steps:
2. Grab the modem.img from the zip file and move it to your platform-tools folder
4. Connect your phone to the computer, make sure USB debugging is enabled in the Dev Options on the phone
So do I do this after installing lineageos right?

dankovac1999

Sep 18, 2016
HTC Leo
Google Nexus 4

Steps:

Flashing modem wasn't enough for me and many other people. It depends what was your previous version. You better flash few more partitions as described in my post.

BCLaraby

Feb 18, 2011
Essential Phone
Hi there,

I'm following the instructons here:

I'm using the LineageOS recovery:
  • factory reset
  • ADB sideload of lineage-18.1-20210802-nightly-mata-signed.zip
  • reboot back into recovery
  • adb sideloading MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zip (have also tried this with open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210730.zip)
  • reboot
Lineage loads but there's nothing but stock lineage apps there.

Am I missing something? No matter what I try, none of the GApps are installing.

Thanks!

dankovac1999

Sep 18, 2016
HTC Leo
Google Nexus 4
Hi there,

I'm following the instructons here:

I'm using the LineageOS recovery:
  • factory reset
  • ADB sideload of lineage-18.1-20210802-nightly-mata-signed.zip
  • reboot back into recovery
  • adb sideloading MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zip (have also tried this with open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210730.zip)
  • reboot
Lineage loads but there's nothing but stock lineage apps there.

Am I missing something? No matter what I try, none of the GApps are installing.

Thanks!

Something is broken, I faced this issue as well. Try format data after first boot and install Gapps again. The thing is, lineage recovery probably flashing to wrong slot.

BCLaraby

Feb 18, 2011
Essential Phone
Something is broken, I faced this issue as well. Try format data after first boot and install Gapps again. The thing is, lineage recovery probably flashing to wrong slot.
I wonder if, after the reboot to recovery, it's swapping slots already? I wonder if after installing Lineage, rebooting to recovery and then manually pushing it back into the original install slot will fix this?

dankovac1999

Sep 18, 2016
HTC Leo
Google Nexus 4
I wonder if, after the reboot to recovery, it's swapping slots already? I wonder if after installing Lineage, rebooting to recovery and then manually pushing it back into the original install slot will fix this?

I've been trying to deal with it. But I got little bit lost 😂 so just install Gapps few times and it will hit the right slot once. It's just essential problem, I haven't faced this issue on 1+7P

BCLaraby

Feb 18, 2011
Essential Phone
I've been trying to deal with it. But I got little bit lost 😂 so just install Gapps few times and it will hit the right slot once. It's just essential problem, I haven't faced this issue on 1+7P
Just tried a clean install of Lineage 18.1 then did the GApps install like 3 times back to back (rebooting each time), the gapps simply aren't installing at all :'(

Looks like everything is being installed to slot b...? Recovery is running on slot a.

dankovac1999

Sep 18, 2016
HTC Leo
Google Nexus 4
Just tried a clean install of Lineage 18.1 then did the GApps install like 3 times back to back (rebooting each time), the gapps simply aren't installing at all :'(

Looks like everything is being installed to slot b...? Recovery is running on slot a.

Try to change slot in fastboot via command.

fastboot --set-active=a/b

To get info about active slot

fastboot getvar current-slot

BCLaraby

Feb 18, 2011
Essential Phone
Try to change slot in fastboot via command.

fastboot --set-active=a/b

To get info about active slot

fastboot getvar current-slot
Okay, so I switched between both a and b slots, did full reboots and each time it booted into Lineage 18.1 with the same settings.

Not sure why its doing that except that Lineage must be installed on both slots...?

I wonder if I try installing stock android on one slot if that'll let me dual boot? ;)

dankovac1999

Sep 18, 2016
HTC Leo
Google Nexus 4
Okay, so I switched between both a and b slots, did full reboots and each time it booted into Lineage 18.1 with the same settings.

Not sure why its doing that except that Lineage must be installed on both slots...?

I wonder if I try installing stock android on one slot if that'll let me dual boot? ;)

That's weird, try to install older build. I've been installing it maybe 3 updates back 🤔

Dual boot could theoretically work, but the problem is, that data partition is shared, so it's like dirty flashing. When the roms are similar, it may work.

luis saucedo

Steps:
Friend thanks for the contribution, it worked well for me, can I keep updating by OTA without losing the flashed modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Essential Phone

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Essential Phone.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_essential_msm8998
    Anyone else's gps unable to "go to/find my location"?
    Works in Google maps here....
    Hrm, I'm getting video playback issues. No sound and very slow playback. Allegedly it's firmware related. Anyone else experienced this?
    weird - can't replicate in youtube, file a bug ticket as per the wiki instructions please?
    I have been running Lineage 17.1 on my Essential PH-1.

I followed the procedure at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/mata/upgrade to upgrade.

I used lineage-18.1-20210419-nightly-mata-signed.zip and MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zip

The upgrade process completed successfully but I couldn't add an account. When I tapped on "Add account" the phone just beeped and did nothing.

Then I tried a clean install following the procedure at https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/mata/install with the same files.

The result was the same.

How can I add a Google account to my Lineage 18.1 PH-1?
    uhhh - sounds like you need to wipe data - something sounds messed up.
    question I found a install video older but will this be the same as installing 18.1 I will have to add gapps to and install after the OS ? or just add the gapp along with the OS I'm a little rusty last phone I did linageOS on was a moto E4 plus
    here is the video
    Just follow the wiki guide and all will work fine.
    I seem to be having a more extreme problem of every app not responding and/or crashing. I've reflashed multiple times, redownloaded all files and ran checksum on files and always fine, tried multiple cables and tried different usb plugs on pc and all with same results. I'd try that statixos thing, but those instruction are using TWRP, which I could never get to work when I initially rooted last year, so I've just using LOS's recovery. Someone on reddit said you can't flash that zip using LOS's recovery, so I'm not sure what to do.
    you need to format /data and just follow the wiki guide, thing shouldn't crash, so long as you use lineage, and (if you want) mindthegapps
    Try crDroid, although not official but OP update regularly and the rom is stable, good enough for daily useage.
    please don't discuss other ROMs here - go elsewhere for that.
    Talking about StatixOS, what steps did you have problem with? For me, install StatixOS is so simple (possible device related?). If you have touch issue with TWRP, you can find the patch version of TWRP boot image in StatixOS telegram channel which gives you touch capability during flashing. Anyway here the sequence that I install it.

Make sure you're back to Jan stock before to process:

1. Copy StatixOS + TWRP installer + Gapps to phone
    2. Install TWRP boot image
    3. Wipe Davik/Cache/Data storage (don't wipe internal storage)
    4. Flash StatixOS
    5. Flash TWRP installer (I don't bother slot selection, just flash it, and it works for me all the time)
    6. Reboot back to TWRP recovery (important step if you want to install Gapps)
    7. Flash Gapps
    8. Reboot phone for phone setup
    9. Install Magisk if you want to root (I do this step last after the phone is fully function)
    Hope you can get it work.
    please don't discuss other ROMs here - go elsewhere for that.
    I don't want StatixOS itself. There was a post further back about pulling the firmware from StatixOS, flashing that, and then flashing Lineage OS. I don't know how to pull the firmware out of one ROM and install it on it's own before I then install LOS 18.1 as usual afrer. I don't want to use TWRP though as it never worked when I initially rooted last year, and I still see lots of people talk of issues with TWRP on the PH-1.
    Their firmware fix is placebo - it's the same firmware - I'm looking into the webview issue, and strongly suspect it'll be fixed in the next build (newer webview version built in).
    After the latest update my phone only reboots into bootloader. From there I can't even reboot into recovery, it keeps going back to bootloader. And, it's not detected on my computer via adb, which it was before. Any suggestions?

I usually manage to get out of trouble spots like this with my phone, this one has me stuck.
    Apologies, sepolicy mismatch after a merge on the qcom-common sepolicy repo. I've fixed it, the next build will not have this issue!
    Do you mean fastboot isn't detecting it? If you can get fastboot to recognize the device, I'd just go all the way back to stock and then re-flash the last build you were on before you started having issues.
    Apologies, sepolicy mismatch after a merge on the qcom-common sepolicy repo. I've fixed it, the next build will not have this issue!
    PSA: Newest update seems to not want to boot, using fastboot to switch slots back to the old one allows devices to boot again.

If installed, the newest update fails past the initial bootloader and doesn't boot from the boot_a/boot_b partition, whichever is newer, and adb won't work as far as I can tell, fastboot will work though provided you have the right drivers etc for your computer.

Feel free to ask me for help with switching slots if anyone needs, here or in a pm.
    I can't boot into system and constantly run into fastboot mode either. Having switched to the other slot to continue use the phone properly.

same thing happened to me. it rebooted to the bootloader. from there i was able to use the volume buttons to switch to recovery, though i didn't actually enter it. i went back to the bootloader.
    i was still able to detect the phone with fastboot devices, though. in the past, some usb ports on the laptop worked better than others, and i found that switching allowed for detection, again.

i switched slots and rebooted and the phone came back up to the previous version. when i tried installing, it came back with an error. when i tried again, it started the process, which i canceled. i deleted the download and then grabbed it again and installed.
    it rebooted to the bootloader, again.
    i switched slots,, again, and rebooted to previous version again.

with the essential builds, sideloading the ota did not lose any information. i am assuming the same is true for sideloading the lineageos zip? or no?
    Update: after the update failed and my phone couldn't get past bootloader, I left it in the charger. When I came back 30 minutes later it had rebooted into system. It's on the previous update, so I'm guessing it rebooted into the old slot.

When it was stuck in bootloader I was trying 'adb reboot ...', not fastboot, so that was my mistake. It probably would have gotten me unstuck.

Thanks mate! Appreciate you maintaining Lineage for our device
    There's a bug ticket open for it, unsure what the cause is, but we know about it and are trying.
    cool. it's not a huge deal. i just turn the call volume up and hold it away from my head. it's speakerphone'ish. thanks for the work you all do :)
    @npjohnson since you seem to be involved with the development of LOS, do you have any idea what's going on, on phone calls, with the loud speakerphone that doesn't respond to the volume keys? i can't remember, anymore, which versions of essential's builds had the same problem and i never read anything about what they did to fix it. i do remember that it wasn't an immediate fix.
    the fact that it did exist in essential's builds, oi LOS17.1, and now in LOS18.1, makes me think that it's something deeper than a ROM typically goes. but that is just my not-understanding-the-nuts-and-bolts-of-things thought. :)
    There's a bug ticket open for it, unsure what the cause is, but we know about it and are trying.