[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Google Pixel 3a XL

Search This thread

jacsmith0620

Oct 12, 2019
Is squeeze for Assistant going to be worked on? Every other option works, except for Assistant.

Also, when receiving phone calls there is no option to screen the call. The setting says it requires WiFi, and I've been connected to WiFi and still doesn't work.

Why do you want encryption disabled?

It's hardware backed, and FBE, so very little gain from running unencrypted...

"Trust" has nothing to do with encryption, it can be on, off, trust just reports it to the user.

Why do you want TWRP? Lineage Recovery does the job just fine. What do you mean "/data (formerly userspace)"? That statement doesn't make much sense.

Regardless of all the above, the disabel force encrypt zip, followed by `fastboot -w` to format userdata ought to do it - but be warned, if you set a PIN, Android (AOSP, not a lineage thing specifically) will re-encrypt you... hence there being no point.
Lol "userdata" (it's in the word)

I want to patch/backup/manipulate/delete/recover my data from an alternate boot partition. It's a basic element of any OS including Android since forever. I see a narrow end-user use for encrypted data, but why would an enthusiast want a disposable partition who's data can not be recovered? Why does Windows have a Shadow Copy. Why does Linux have a myriad of disk imaging and cloning utilities. Why did Android have Nandroids? Because systems crash, hardware fails, data needs to migrate and able to adapt to upgrades.

"Trust" is that annoying NPC face that indicates a false sense of security for digitally illiterate users. The irony of "Trust" from those who would force me into a fenced-in system, is insulting.

Titan M seems to do it's job just fine after disabling encryption in Android Pie as the last step after flashing a fresh system. Or maybe the Titan M chip becomes vestigial; I couldn't care less. Irregardless, first boot creates an unencrypted /data, and can be browsed with adb shell or TWRP file manager thereafter. I can manipulate Android like I would Linux or Windows, and have some semblance of the OS I"ve been a fan of since Gingerbread.

Lineage Recovery isn't able to side-load the decrypt zip. Lineage Recovery can't even run Aroma zips, or do half the things ancient CWM could do. So whether it's the neutered recovery, or fake vulnerability patches >API 28 to /boot; I don't have any use for it, and assures a Linux Phone to supersede Android OS for digital control freak super users like myself.

Last edited:

BandSkipper

May 5, 2021
Lol "userdata" (it's in the word)

I want to patch/backup/manipulate/delete/recover my data from an alternate boot partition. It's a basic element of any OS including Android since forever. I see a narrow end-user use for encrypted data, but why would an enthusiast want a disposable partition who's data can not be recovered? Why does Windows have a Shadow Copy. Why does Linux have a myriad of disk imaging and cloning utilities. Why did Android have Nandroids? Because systems crash, hardware fails, data needs to migrate and able to adapt to upgrades.

"Trust" is that annoying NPC face that indicates a false sense of security for digitally illiterate users. The irony of "Trust" from those who would force me into a fenced-in system, is insulting.

Titan M seems to do it's job just fine after disabling encryption in Android Pie as the last step after flashing a fresh system. Or maybe the Titan M chip becomes vestigial; I couldn't care less. Irregardless, first boot creates an unencrypted /data, and can be browsed with adb shell or TWRP file manager thereafter. I can manipulate Android like I would Linux or Windows, and have some semblance of the OS I"ve been a fan of since Gingerbread.

Lineage Recovery isn't able to side-load the decrypt zip. Lineage Recovery can't even run Aroma zips, or do half the things ancient CWM could do. So whether it's the neutered recovery, or fake vulnerability patches >API 28 to /boot; I don't have any use for it, and assures a Linux Phone to supersede Android OS for digital control freak super users like myself.
I believe the reason for TWRP not working is the file system changes made to Android 10 is the problem, nothing to do with LineageOS. Iv read that if you updated from 9 to 10 using OTA updates only, TWRP may still work but a fresh install of A10 removes the old file system for good.
Still sucks either way, I myself miss having Nandroid backups. Have tried the app Migrate but not the same..

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • Lol "userdata" (it's in the word)

Security. They'd want that, to be secure. Same reason you'd use dm-crypt or bitlocker on windows.

Trust - "false sense" - It tells the user their: Patch date (vendor and platform), encryption status, and build date - how is that giving a false sense of security?

Aroma - wow, I haven't heard that term in ages - people still use those?

> So whether it's the neutered recovery, or fake vulnerability patches >API 28 to /boot

Not sure what you're on about here.

> and assures a Linux Phone to supersede Android OS for digital control freak super users like myself.

Ah, a Linux phone guy, now this adds up lol. I wish you the best of luck, but we're like 10 years off of usable GNU phones (having used and developed for them).

I believe the reason for TWRP not working is the file system changes made to Android 10 is the problem, nothing to do with LineageOS. Iv read that if you updated from 9 to 10 using OTA updates only, TWRP may still work but a fresh install of A10 removes the old file system for good.
    Still sucks either way, I myself miss having Nandroid backups. Have tried the app Migrate but not the same..
    The OTA update thing doesn't work with bonito. I wish people would edit these comments to save others the aggravation.
    Ah, a Linux phone guy, now this adds up lol. I wish you the best of luck, but we're like 10 years off of usable GNU phones (having used and developed for them).
    That PinePhone running Ubuntu is looking pretty attractive right now. This 3a XL has been epic buyer's remorse: After fooling with it a bit, I immediately turned around and bought an old LG V20 to use as a daily driver until I got time to hack the Pixel.
    Aroma - wow, I haven't heard that term in ages - people still use those?
    Yep, people that like a convenient way to install their preferred Open Gapps packages on LOS 17. Bonito users though, must create a time consuming config file and then sideload the super zip.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • The OTA update thing doesn't work with bonito. I wish people would edit these comments to save others the aggravation.

That PinePhone running Ubuntu is looking pretty attractive right now. This 3a XL has been epic buyer's remorse: After fooling with it a bit, I immediately turned around and bought an old LG V20 to use as a daily driver until I got time to hack the Pixel.

Yep, people that like a convenient way to install their preferred Open Gapps packages on LOS 17. Bonito users though, must create a time consuming config file and then sideload the super zip.
    OTA, and persistence scripts definitely work on bonito...

PinePhone actually does run. UBPorts well, I'll give you that, but bad hardware acceleration, an underpowered SoC, and lack of secure DRM make it pretty hard to recommend - like I said, maybe in a few years.

Why is a v20 better for you than a pixel 3a xl? Confused. v20 is way harder to hack at lol.

As for Aroma, recovery was never designed for fancy graphics and such, its a direct framebuffer. And gapps-config isn't that time consuming ;p

`echo "Exclude" > /sdcard/.gapps-config`
    `echo "Maps" > /sdcard/.gapps-config`
    `echo "Youtube" > /sdcard/.gapps-config`

There, 30s, and I excluded what I wouldn't use.

OTA, and persistence scripts definitely work on bonito...

PinePhone actually does run. UBPorts well, I'll give you that, but bad hardware acceleration, an underpowered SoC, and lack of secure DRM make it pretty hard to recommend - like I said, maybe in a few years.

Why is a v20 better for you than a pixel 3a xl? Confused. v20 is way harder to hack at lol.

As for Aroma, recovery was never designed for fancy graphics and such, its a direct framebuffer. And gapps-config isn't that time consuming ;p

`echo "Exclude" > /sdcard/.gapps-config`
    `echo "Maps" > /sdcard/.gapps-config`
    `echo "Youtube" > /sdcard/.gapps-config`

There, 30s, and I excluded what I wouldn't use.
    If anyone has TWRP persist upgrading (incrementally or direct) from Pie to LOS 18.1, we would surely love to know how. I've not found any evidence of this being performed on this device or similar Pixel models.

I didn't have any problems installing an unencrypted LOS 18.1 on the V20.

My .gapps-config:
    Code:
    Include

# Pico+
    CalSync                 # Install Google Calendar Sync (if Google Calendar is being installed)
    DialerFramework         # Install Dialer Framework (Android 6.0+)
    GoogleTTS               # Install Google Text-to-Speech Engine (Micro+ on 5.0-, Pico+ on 6.0+)
    # PackageInstallerGoogle  # Install Package Installer (Android 6.0 only & Android 8.0+)

# Nano+
    # BatteryUsage            # Install Device Health Services (Android 7.1+)
    # Markup                  # Install Markup (ARM64 + Android 9.0+)
    # Search                  # Install Google App (excluding excludes GoogleNow/PixelLauncher)
    # SoundPicker             # Install SoundPicker
    Speech                  # Install Offline Speech Files
    # Wellbeing               # Install Digital Wellbeing (Android 9.0+)

# Micro+
    # ActionsServices         # Install Actions Services (Android 10+)
    # CalendarGoogle          # Install Google Calendar
    # ExchangeGoogle          # Install Exchange Services
    # Gmail                   # Install Gmail
    # GoogleNow               # Install Google Now Launcher (Android 4.4 only) (requires Search)
    # PixelIcons              # Install Pixel Icons (Android 7.1 only)
    # PixelLauncher           # Install Pixel Launcher (Android 5.0+) (requires Search and Wallpapers)
    # Wallpapers              # Install Google Wallpapers (Android 5.0+)

# Mini+
    # CalculatorGoogle        # Install Google Calculator (Android 5.0+)
    # CarrierServices         # Install Carrier Services (Android 6.0+) (required for Google Messages)
    # ClockGoogle             # Install Google Clock
    Maps                    # Install Google Maps
    Messenger               # Install Google Messages (except on tablet devices) (requires Carrier Services)
    # Photos                  # Install Google Photos
    # TagGoogle               # Install Google Tags (Android 5.0+)
    # YouTube                 # Install YouTube

# Full+
    # Books                   # Install Google Play Books
    # Chrome                  # Install Chrome
    # CloudPrint              # Install Cloud Print
    Drive                   # Install Google Drive
    # Keep                    # Install Keep Notes
    # Movies                  # Install Google Play Movies & TV
    # Music                   # Install Google Play Music
    # NewsStand               # Install Google News
    # PlayGames               # Install Google Play Games
    Talkback                # Install Android Accessibility Suite
    Recorder                # Install Google Recorder

# Stock+
    # AndroidAuto             # Install Android Auto (Android 5.0+)
    CameraGoogle            # Install Google Camera (Android 6.0+)
    # ContactsGoogle          # Install Google Contacts (Android 5.1+)
    DialerGoogle            # Install Google Phone (Android 6.0+)
    #Duo                     # Install Duo
    # GooglePay               # Install Google Pay
    KeyboardGoogle          # Install Gboard
    # PrintServiceGoogle      # Install Print Service Recommendation Service (Android 7.0+)
    # StorageManagerGoogle    # Install Smart Storage (Android 7.0+)
    Translate               # Install Google Translate
    VRService               # Install Google VR Services (Android 7.0+)
    # WebViewGoogle           # Install Android System Webview (Android 5.1+) (WebViewStub is installed on Android 7.0+)
    # WebViewStub             # Install Android System Webview (Stub) (Android 7.0+) (See note with WebViewGoogle)

# Super+
    # ActionsServices         # Install Actions Services (Android 9.0+)
    # BetterTogether          # Install Better Together (Android 9.0+)
    # DMAgent                 # Install Google Apps Device Policy
    # Docs                    # Install Google Docs
    # Earth                   # Install Google Earth
    # Fitness                 # Install Google Fit
    # GCS                     # Install Google Connectivity Services (Android 5.1+) (excluding also excludes ProjectFi)
    # Hangouts                # Install Hangouts
    # Indic                   # Install Google Indic Keyboard
    # Japanese                # Install Google Japanese Input
    # Korean                  # Install Google Korean Input
    # Pinyin                  # Install Google Pinyin Input
    # ProjectFi               # Install Project Fi (Android 5.1+)
    # Sheets                  # Install Google Sheets
    # Slides                  # Install Google Slides
    Street                  # Install Google Street View
    # Zhuyin                  # Install Google Zhuyin Input

+Browser       # Don't remove Stock Browser, even if Google Chrome is being installed
    +CameraStock   # Don't remove Stock Camera, even if Google Camera is being installed
    +DialerStock   # Don't remove Stock Dialer, even if Google Dialer is being installed
    +Email         # Don't remove Stock Email, even if Gmail is being installed
    +Gallery       # Don't remove Stock Gallery, even if Google Photos is being installed
    +Launcher      # Don't remove Stock Launchers, even if Google Now Launcher is being installed
    +MMS           # Don't remove Stock SMS app, even if Android Messages is being installed
    +PicoTTS       # Don't remove PicoTTS, even if GoogleTTS is being installed
    +WebViewStock  # Don't remove Stock WebView
    I mean, now that I made the file, it doesn't take me long to tweak it. In fact, next time I fool with gapps, I'll add the exhaustive list of debloat apps with hash toggles as well.

*waxing philosophical
    See, I'm all about being user friendly. I want Android to be attractive to noobs who may want to hack or learn linux stuff because "a rising tide raises all ships". Hey, I understand devs dropping projects due to having a life and family; my wife is constantly berating me over the time I spend with my devices while dealing with needy kids. We all invest a lot of time and resources into these operating systems. But if popular opinion is against them, where's the future of it? Make it difficult and uninspiring, people will just buy Apple, and all the knowledge will be of diminished value.

What I expected of an unlocked pure Android flagship device versus the reality of where Google has taken things, is disconcerting to many enthusiasts who have experienced the changes and withering developer support for otherwise great hardware. Honestly, I really like the recent LineageOS, and may finally be on par with what CyanogenMod once was. This is really what I think Android or any mobile device UI should be. For a while, it seemed AOSP was making some quantum leaps where custom ROM makers were either falling away or falling behind, generally just cranking out AOSP clones to keep up. Maybe we can focus on user experience of hardware particulars as they relate to Android UI, rather than the latest version. Just my 2 cents.
    *steps down from soapbox

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • If anyone has TWRP persist upgrading (incrementally or direct) from Pie to LOS 18.1, we would surely love to know how. I've not found any evidence of this being performed on this device or similar Pixel models.

My .gapps-config:
    Code:
    Include

# Pico+
    CalSync                 # Install Google Calendar Sync (if Google Calendar is being installed)
    GoogleTTS               # Install Google Text-to-Speech Engine (Micro+ on 5.0-, Pico+ on 6.0+)
    # PackageInstallerGoogle  # Install Package Installer (Android 6.0 only & Android 8.0+)

# Nano+
    # Search                  # Install Google App (excluding excludes GoogleNow/PixelLauncher)

# Micro+
    # GoogleNow               # Install Google Now Launcher (Android 4.4 only) (requires Search)
    # PixelLauncher           # Install Pixel Launcher (Android 5.0+) (requires Search and Wallpapers)

# Mini+
    # CarrierServices         # Install Carrier Services (Android 6.0+) (required for Google Messages)
    Messenger               # Install Google Messages (except on tablet devices) (requires Carrier Services)

# Full+

# Stock+
    # PrintServiceGoogle      # Install Print Service Recommendation Service (Android 7.0+)
    # WebViewGoogle           # Install Android System Webview (Android 5.1+) (WebViewStub is installed on Android 7.0+)
    # WebViewStub             # Install Android System Webview (Stub) (Android 7.0+) (See note with WebViewGoogle)

# Super+
    # GCS                     # Install Google Connectivity Services (Android 5.1+) (excluding also excludes ProjectFi)

+Browser       # Don't remove Stock Browser, even if Google Chrome is being installed
    +CameraStock   # Don't remove Stock Camera, even if Google Camera is being installed
    +DialerStock   # Don't remove Stock Dialer, even if Google Dialer is being installed
    +Gallery       # Don't remove Stock Gallery, even if Google Photos is being installed
    +Launcher      # Don't remove Stock Launchers, even if Google Now Launcher is being installed
    +MMS           # Don't remove Stock SMS app, even if Android Messages is being installed
    I mean, now that I made the file, it doesn't take me long to tweak it. In fact, next time I fool with gapps, I'll add the exhaustive list of debloat apps with hash toggles as well.
    Backup tool doesn't run in recovery on A/B - you need to use the Updater app to have things persist.

But that's only for update on a version, eg 18.1 to newer 18.1. if you're going from pie to 18.1, you need to reflssh GApps, as we can't persist gapps on upgrade because each new version needs new gapps.

Because nobody seems to understand what I'm saying, let me reiterate:

Fact: TWRP 3.5.1_9-0 and unencrypted /data work just fine in every way with Lineage OS 18.1 or any other ROM on an LG V20 but not a Pixel 3a XL (after Pie).

I'm guessing it has something to do with forced encryption, qualcomm patches to /boot, and Titan M chip: But every explanation I've heard why things don't work properly on bonito after Pie, doesn't add up given the previously stated fact.

Or maybe it's possible to build Lineage OS 18.1 without the dynamic partition structure? Other devices don't seem to have the same problems as bonito; let's be logical.

I'm not talking about silly apps here, but the ability to edit /system or /data, even boot a desired slot, while in recovery mode. I'm not blaming anyone but Google and Qualcomm, but sorry if I expect basic Android functionality from this device.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • Because nobody seems to understand what I'm saying, let me reiterate:

Fact: TWRP 3.5.1_9-0 and unencrypted /data work just fine in every way with Lineage OS 18.1 or any other ROM on an LG V20 but not a Pixel 3a XL (after Pie).

I'm guessing it has something to do with forced encryption, qualcomm patches to /boot, and Titan M chip: But every explanation I've heard why things don't work properly on bonito after Pie, doesn't add up given the previously stated fact.

Or maybe it's possible to build Lineage OS 18.1 without the dynamic partition structure? Other devices don't seem to have the same problems as bonito; let's be logical.

I'm not talking about silly apps here, but the ability to edit /system or /data, even boot a desired slot, while in recovery mode. I'm not blaming anyone but Google and Qualcomm, but sorry if I expect basic Android functionality from this device.
    Easy answer, LG uses FDE block based encryption, which is super easy to decrypt. FBE is more complex, and because it's newer, is hardware backed as well by the Titan M.

Still can decrypt in recovery with enough work, the issue is that all the decryption services went HIDL and I doubt recovery has the ability/necessary deps to load it - because recovery was never designed to do that.

Yeah, you can build without dynamic partitions, but it would have 0 effect -- data is not treated as a dynamic partition. It's a physical block.

Booting a desired slot is easy, you can either use bootctl directly, click change slot in TWRP (doesn't need /data mounted), or fastboot set_active other.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • If anyone has TWRP persist upgrading (incrementally or direct) from Pie to LOS 18.1, we would surely love to know how. I've not found any evidence of this being performed on this device or similar Pixel models.

My .gapps-config:
    Code:
    Include

# Pico+

# Nano+

# Micro+

# Mini+

# Full+

# Stock+

# Super+

*waxing philosophical
    See, I'm all about being user friendly. I want Android to be attractive to noobs who may want to hack or learn linux stuff because "a rising tide raises all ships". Hey, I understand devs dropping projects due to having a life and family; my wife is constantly berating me over the time I spend with my devices while dealing with needy kids. We all invest a lot of time and resources into these operating systems. But if popular opinion is against them, where's the future of it? Make it difficult and uninspiring, people will just buy Apple, and all the knowledge will be of diminished value.

What I expected of an unlocked pure Android flagship device versus the reality of where Google has taken things, is disconcerting to many enthusiasts who have experienced the changes and withering developer support for otherwise great hardware. Honestly, I really like the recent LineageOS, and may finally be on par with what CyanogenMod once was. This is really what I think Android or any mobile device UI should be. For a while, it seemed AOSP was making some quantum leaps where custom ROM makers were either falling away or falling behind, generally just cranking out AOSP clones to keep up. Maybe we can focus on user experience of hardware particulars as they relate to Android UI, rather than the latest version. Just my 2 cents.
    *steps down from soapbox
    What on bonito's LineageOS experience doesn't match stock functionality? There should be 0.

What on bonito's LineageOS experience doesn't match stock functionality? There should be 0.
    Stock 9 or 11? The device shipped with Pie, if that's the yardstick. Otherwise, current AOSP 11 standards determine it a good build.

2 steps forward and 11 steps back: To fully upgrade from the factory build, we lose custom recovery, MicroG, and ownership of /data. At present, there is no utility in updating the OS, or flashing a custom ROM for this device. Just novelty and convenience of having some UI features without rooting.
    Easy answer...
    In all sincerity, thank you for this answer. Please don't let my frustration with this device or the monolithic Google, in any way diminish your efforts or achievements.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • Stock 9 or 11? The device shipped with Pie, if that's the yardstick. Otherwise, current AOSP 11 standards determine it a good build.

2 steps forward and 11 steps back: To fully upgrade from the factory build, we lose custom recovery, MicroG, and ownership of /data. At present, there is no utility in updating the OS, or flashing a custom ROM for this device. Just novelty and convenience of having some UI features without rooting.

In all sincerity, thank you for this answer. Please don't let my frustration with this device or the monolithic Google, in any way diminish your efforts or achievements.
    MicroG works on 11, afaik.

And thanks, sentiment appreciated.

Marky__Mark

Jan 26, 2015
    Is this rom a big improvement over stock? I know lineage does weekly updates and without TWRP, weekly installs sound like a pain and not even worth it.

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
    Georgia
    Question for you guys, I use ex kernel manager and it has recently changed its main storage area for kernel backups to sdcard/android/data/flar2.exkernelmanager

After going to the data lavel with ANY file manager I get the following:

After you press ok, the android document selection dialogue will be displayed. Please press "use this folder"

Then I get Android was unable to display the required permissions screen.

I prefer to use root exploror for file management but I get this error/issue with other file managers as well. Ex kernel manager itself IS able to browse to this folder.

Any ideas as to what I can do as i want to move and rename files in that location.

One other note has anyone else noticed that with battery percent set t text you do NOt get the lightning bolt or any other ondicator in the status bar to show your charging?

Is this rom a big improvement over stock? I know lineage does weekly updates and without TWRP, weekly installs sound like a pain and not even worth it.
    "Improvement" is per user. There are more UI tweaks. Probably less battery usage.
    You don't need to update from recovery. It's handled more or less like stock where it updates the unused slot in the background.

Reactions: Marky__Mark

Marky__Mark

Jan 26, 2015
    "Improvement" is per user. There are more UI tweaks. Probably less battery usage.
    You don't need to update from recovery. It's handled more or less like stock where it updates the unused slot in the background.
    Does it update through the UI like updating magisk or ex kernel manager?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • Is this rom a big improvement over stock? I know lineage does weekly updates and without TWRP, weekly installs sound like a pain and not even worth it.
    You don't need to update weekly... just update the 2nd week of each month, and you'll get the security patches. Or update as frequently as you want, you don't have to upgrade through each build.
    Just like stock.

Reactions: Marky__Mark

Karitoriki

Jan 22, 2015
    Noril'sk
    Is squeeze for Assistant going to be worked on? Every other option works, except for Assistant.

Also, when receiving phone calls there is no option to screen the call. The setting says it requires WiFi, and I've been connected to WiFi and still doesn't work.
    If you still haven't figured it out yet I would suggest giving Dot OS a try - it's very smooth and runs great.

You're not going to get any official help here since the maker doesn't support root, even though the vast majority of users that load custom ROMs also... surprise surprise... root their devices to maximize funcionality.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Right, it has an Updater in System Settings.
      You don't need to update weekly... just update the 2nd week of each month, and you'll get the security patches. Or update as frequently as you want, you don't have to upgrade through each build.
      Just like stock.
      Right, it has an Updater in System Settings.
      lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel 3a XL

Code:
      - Your warranty is now void.
      - You have been warned.
      - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
      This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Google Pixel 3a XL.

Downloads:
      Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
      If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
      • None.
      • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
      Notes:
      • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
      • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
      Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_msm-4.9
      Just like stock.