[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Google Pixel 3a XL

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
If you still haven't figured it out yet I would suggest giving Dot OS a try - it's very smooth and runs great.

You're not going to get any official help here since the maker doesn't support root, even though the vast majority of users that load custom ROMs also... surprise surprise... root their devices to maximize funcionality.
Please don't push other ROMs here - kinda disrespectful tbh.

But also, we integrate Squeeze functionality with no root! It's built right in. Just like stock, even customizable and you pick the action it does.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Is squeeze for Assistant going to be worked on? Every other option works, except for Assistant.

Also, when receiving phone calls there is no option to screen the call. The setting says it requires WiFi, and I've been connected to WiFi and still doesn't work.
It works here - which GApps did you use? MindTheGapps it works fine. If you used it and it doesn't work, please file a bug ticket like the wiki details attaching a log so I can take a closer look at your case!

As for call screening, yeah, it's a Google Dialer thing, you need that in place, and the correct RRO's in place - we can't include it in Lineage as it would break our Dialer.

Last edited:

Karitoriki

Jan 22, 2015
Noril'sk
Google Pixel 3a XL
Please don't push other ROMs here - kinda disrespectful tbh.

But also, we integrate Squeeze functionality with no root! It's built right in. Just like stock, even customizable and you pick the action it does.
What's disrespectful is ignoring somebody's simple request for help for over a month, despite being active in the thread, and only answering it when someone points out your blatant disregard for common decency.

Not that it matters to you - but reading through the thread and seeing that person's requests for help consistently ignored are why I chose DotOS over this.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
What's disrespectful is ignoring somebody's simple request for help for over a month, despite being active in the thread, and only answering it when someone points out your blatant disregard for common decency.

Not that it matters to you - but reading through the thread and seeing that person's requests for help consistently ignored are why I chose DotOS over this.
Dude for the love of god I missed a single post lol. I'm happy to help him! I'm volunteering my time for this, and I run something like 15 threads at the moment - it gets hard to track.

I check our bug-tracker (the proper way to report a bug) every single day - anyone with a bug to report can be ensured at least a quick response there. And I'd love to help him with his issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssurell

jacsmith0620

Oct 12, 2019
Google Pixel 6 Pro
@npjohnson and @Karitoriki - Thank you both for your suggestions.

But, I hadn't checked this thread in a bit, because my question did go unanswered for sometime, but was still active in using LineageOS. I never checked the squeeze function anymore, until now and can confirm it is working. Not sure when it did start working, but thanks for all the work.

Reactions: npjohnson

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@npjohnson and @Karitoriki - Thank you both for your suggestions.

But, I hadn't checked this thread in a bit, because my question did go unanswered for sometime, but was still active in using LineageOS. I never checked the squeeze function anymore, until now and can confirm it is working. Not sure when it did start working, but thanks for all the work.
Good to hear!

Probably some upstream ElmyraService commits!

faheyd

Dec 29, 2011
Reno NV
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8
Guys/Gals, I went to load an app, LG ThinQ for tv remote control. Says, 'Cannot run on a rooted device'. I've sent a review to LG and hopefully they will do something (not holding my breath). Is there something I can do on my end? Running latest update from lineage 18.1 . Thank you, Dylan

41rw4lk

Guys/Gals, I went to load an app, LG ThinQ for tv remote control. Says, 'Cannot run on a rooted device'. I've sent a review to LG and hopefully they will do something (not holding my breath). Is there something I can do on my end? Running latest update from lineage 18.1 . Thank you, Dylan
Open Magisk, go to magiskhide, scroll down and check the box to hide root from the app.

Reactions: faheyd

faheyd

Dec 29, 2011
Reno NV
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8
Open Magisk, go to magiskhide, scroll down and check the box to hide root from the app.
Did not work, had to load Magisk and then hide it, still no go. Don't sweat it, I posted this in the wrong thread, (covid memory problems), I have a Pixel 3 XL. I don't want to fill the thread with magisk/root stuff. I'll do some more searching. Did the normal Magisk install and it says installed fine after doing the pull/push thing in A partition. Thanks for the help anyways. Dylan

faheyd

Dec 29, 2011
Reno NV
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8
Did not work, had to load Magisk and then hide it, still no go. Don't sweat it, I posted this in the wrong thread, (covid memory problems), I have a Pixel 3 XL. I don't want to fill the thread with magisk/root stuff. I'll do some more searching. Did the normal Magisk install and it says installed fine after doing the pull/push thing in A partition. Thanks for the help anyways. Dylan
OK, in Magisk app, I hit the 'shield' icon, magisk hide, and then selected LG Thin app. And now the LG Thin app runs. THANK YOU! Dylan

linuxpauling

Mar 10, 2021
I have installed Lineage to a number of various pixel models. However, the 3a XL is giving me something new in terms of an issue. In particular, after installing 18.1 I am not able to get the phone to connect to my cellular network (it worked ok prior to the conversion to 18.1). Anyone have any suggestions? When I go into device information (*#*#4636#*#*) it says mobile radio off. If I toggle it on there it just doesnt seem to want to stay on. The other thing I noticed wtih this phone is that when I start it up (under lineage) I do not receive the usual msg on the screen about the bootloader being unlock but instead get a big red 'Factory' word written the screen. Is this a clue at all to what is happening?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I have installed Lineage to a number of various pixel models. However, the 3a XL is giving me something new in terms of an issue. In particular, after installing 18.1 I am not able to get the phone to connect to my cellular network (it worked ok prior to the conversion to 18.1). Anyone have any suggestions? When I go into device information (*#*#4636#*#*) it says mobile radio off. If I toggle it on there it just doesnt seem to want to stay on. The other thing I noticed wtih this phone is that when I start it up (under lineage) I do not receive the usual msg on the screen about the bootloader being unlock but instead get a big red 'Factory' word written the screen. Is this a clue at all to what is happening?
you need to flash Android 11 stock, then start again - something went seriously wrong for you lol

linuxpauling

Mar 10, 2021
you need to flash Android 11 stock, then start again - something went seriously wrong for you lol
I did flash the most recent Android 11 (as I have done on other phones before installing Lineage) . Any other thoughts? Do you know anything about why/when this large/red 'Factory' word comes up on screen when starting up the phone in Lineage? Actually, it is better than getting that other warning msg (which may throw some people off), but I have not seen it before. Android build# is RQ3A.211001.001. Originally I installed the Dec 18 version of lineage for Bonito, I then redid everything using a slightly older version of Bonito (which I have used before - 20211127). Same results with both.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I did flash the most recent Android 11 (as I have done on other phones before installing Lineage) . Any other thoughts? Do you know anything about why/when this large/red 'Factory' word comes up on screen when starting up the phone in Lineage? Actually, it is better than getting that other warning msg (which may throw some people off), but I have not seen it before.
You're going to need to show me a photo, cuz I don't know what you're talking about.

And what other warning message?

linuxpauling

Mar 10, 2021
When you install LineageOS to your phone (as per the directions at the Lineageos.org website) you receive the following message on your Lineage phone every time you restart it that warns about an unlocked bootloader (see below) before starting up Lineage. With the Pixel 3a XL that I have installed LineageOS on, instead of seeing this bootloader message, I see the 'Factory' message before LineageOS start (see below).

IMG_20211221_172102.jpg

IMG_20211221_171846.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_172102.jpg
    IMG_20211221_172102.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211221_171846.jpg
    IMG_20211221_171846.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
When you install LineageOS to your phone (as per the directions at the Lineageos.org website) you receive the following message on your Lineage phone every time you restart it that warns about an unlocked bootloader (see below) before starting up Lineage. With the Pixel 3a XL that I have installed LineageOS on, instead of seeing this bootloader message, I see the 'Factory' message before LineageOS start (see below).

View attachment 5488971

View attachment 5488969
No, no you don't. You're the only person I've ever seen with that.

You receive that when screen when:

a. Your phone is a prototype OR
b. Your phone has a hardware issue OR
c. You've _really_ messed up your system somehow

If I were you I'd flash stock and start over... something is really wrong.

linuxpauling

Mar 10, 2021
No, no you don't. You're the only person I've ever seen with that.

You receive that when screen when:

a. Your phone is a prototype OR
b. Your phone has a hardware issue OR
c. You've _really_ messed up your system somehow

If I were you I'd flash stock and start over... something is really wrong.

Hi again and thanks for your prompt reply. Are you saying that I am the only person with the 'bootloader unlocked' message or the 'Factory' message (or both)? I have spoken with several other installers of the LineageOS and all acknowledge that you get the 'bootloader unlocked' warning when starting phone up. And, the concensus seems to be that you should not lock your bootloader after installing Lineage as it could mess up/brick the phone.

Anyways, I have flashed the stock android 11 two times now and have gotten the same result. And actually, now that I think of it, I may have received the 'Factory' message on phone startup even before I installed the lineage (after I flashed the android 11). Perhaps I will flash for the third time and confirm if that is the case. What is your recommended method of going back to android 11 - the 'flash' option from the android developers site or the download and sideload method?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Hi again and thanks for your prompt reply. Are you saying that I am the only person with the 'bootloader unlocked' message or the 'Factory' message (or both)? I have spoken with several other installers of the LineageOS and all acknowledge that you get the 'bootloader unlocked' warning when starting phone up. And, the concensus seems to be that you should not lock your bootloader after installing Lineage as it could mess up/brick the phone.

Anyways, I have flashed the stock android 11 two times now and have gotten the same result. And actually, now that I think of it, I may have received the 'Factory' message on phone startup even before I installed the lineage (after I flashed the android 11). Perhaps I will flash for the third time and confirm if that is the case. What is your recommended method of going back to android 11 - the 'flash' option from the android developers site or the download and sideload method?
I am not referring to the "Bootloader unlocked screen" - I mean the super weird "Factory" screen. you are correct, you shouldn't lock your bootloader on LineageOS.

yeah, that flash site will do just fine, or download and sideload. Same basic idea.

The "Factory" message implies you have a hardware failure - it being there before lineage makes sense.

Sadly not sure how to help you until you solve whatever is causing that issue.

linuxpauling

Mar 10, 2021
I am not referring to the "Bootloader unlocked screen" - I mean the super weird "Factory" screen. you are correct, you shouldn't lock your bootloader on LineageOS.

yeah, that flash site will do just fine, or download and sideload. Same basic idea.

The "Factory" message implies you have a hardware failure - it being there before lineage makes sense.

Sadly not sure how to help you until you solve whatever is causing that issue.

Here is what I did and noticed along the way. I reflashed the phone to the latest Android 11. Rebooted after install and there was no 'Factory' message anywhere (I was probably imagining that I had seen it at this point previously). So the phone was working ok (and I have confirmed that the cellular works at this point as well).

Then I started the install of LineageOS 18.1 (Dec 18 version). A couple things I noticed during the process. Firstly, when I got to the step of rebooting to recovery, the 'Factory' message did appear momentarily as it was rebooting into recovery. The second thing I noticed was that when I executed the Format Data I did see a message on the phone that I'm not sure I have seen before - "E: can't send spi message: try again". The following line was "Data Wipe complete". After doing the adb sideload of the zip file I rebooted and of course the "Factory' message showed up again momentarily during the reboot.

Any further thoughts on what it might be?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel 3a XL

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Google Pixel 3a XL.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_msm-4.9
    Does it update through the UI like updating magisk or ex kernel manager?
    Right, it has an Updater in System Settings.
    I went back and reflashed Android 11 once again - here is the results of 'fastboot getvar all' prior to reinstalling LineageOS. Is it important to look at this info after the Lineage install as well?

(bootloader) product:bonito
    (bootloader) serialno:87RAX000QV
    (bootloader) variant:SDM eMMC
    (bootloader) max-download-size:0x10000000
    (bootloader) slot-suffixes:_a,_b
    (bootloader) version-bootloader:b4s4-0.3-7357923
    (bootloader) version-baseband:g670-00116-210406-B-7261833
    (bootloader) secure-boot:NONE
    (bootloader) secure:no
    (bootloader) hw-revision:pROTO1.0
    (bootloader) is-userspace:no
    (bootloader) slot-count:2
    (bootloader) current-slot:a
    (bootloader) unlocked:no
    (bootloader) nos-production:no
    (bootloader) off-mode-charge:0
    (bootloader) slot-retry-count:a:0
    (bootloader) slot-unbootable:a:no
    (bootloader) slot-successful:a:yes
    (bootloader) slot-retry-count:b:1
    (bootloader) slot-unbootable:b:no
    (bootloader) slot-successful:b:yes
    (bootloader) battery-voltage:4002
    (bootloader) battery-soc-ok:yes
    (bootloader) snapshot-update-status:none
    (bootloader) storage-vendor:Samsung
    (bootloader) storage-model:DH6DAB
    (bootloader) storage-rev:00000004
    (bootloader) citadel-fw:0.0.3/brick_v0.0.8292-b3875afe2 2021-05-13 03:56:
    (bootloader) auto-shutdown:0
    (bootloader) partition-type:cdt:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:cdt:0x20C00
    (bootloader) partition-type:xbl_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:xbl_a:0x380000
    (bootloader) partition-type:xbl_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:xbl_b:0x380000
    (bootloader) partition-type:xbl_config_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:xbl_config_a:0x20000
    (bootloader) partition-type:xbl_config_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:xbl_config_b:0x20000
    (bootloader) partition-type:tz_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:tz_a:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:tz_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:tz_b:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:aop_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:aop_a:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:aop_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:aop_b:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:hyp_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:hyp_a:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:hyp_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:hyp_b:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:fsg:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:fsg:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:boot_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:boot_a:0x4000000
    (bootloader) partition-type:boot_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:boot_b:0x4000000
    (bootloader) partition-type:keymaster_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:keymaster_a:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:keymaster_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:keymaster_b:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:cmnlib_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:cmnlib_a:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:cmnlib64_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:cmnlib64_a:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:cmnlib_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:cmnlib_b:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:cmnlib64_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:cmnlib64_b:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:modem_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:modem_a:0x6E00000
    (bootloader) partition-type:modem_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:modem_b:0x6E00000
    (bootloader) partition-type:msadp_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:msadp_a:0x40000
    (bootloader) partition-type:msadp_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:msadp_b:0x40000
    (bootloader) partition-type:reserved:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:reserved:0x3D80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:abl_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:abl_a:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:abl_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:abl_b:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:dip:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:dip:0x100000
    (bootloader) partition-type:devinfo:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:devinfo:0x1000
    (bootloader) partition-type:apdp_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:apdp_a:0x40000
    (bootloader) partition-type:apdp_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:apdp_b:0x40000
    (bootloader) partition-type:spunvm:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:spunvm:0x800000
    (bootloader) partition-type:dpo:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:dpo:0x1000
    (bootloader) partition-type:splash:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:splash:0x20A4000
    (bootloader) partition-type:limits:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:limits:0x1000
    (bootloader) partition-type:toolsfv:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:toolsfv:0x100000
    (bootloader) partition-type:logfs:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:logfs:0x800000
    (bootloader) partition-type:ddr:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:ddr:0x100000
    (bootloader) partition-type:sec:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:sec:0x4000
    (bootloader) partition-type:bluetooth_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:bluetooth_a:0x100000
    (bootloader) partition-type:bluetooth_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:bluetooth_b:0x100000
    (bootloader) partition-type:fsc:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:fsc:0x20000
    (bootloader) partition-type:ssd:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:ssd:0x2000
    (bootloader) partition-type:dtbo_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:dtbo_a:0x807000
    (bootloader) partition-type:dtbo_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:dtbo_b:0x807000
    (bootloader) partition-type:modemst1:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:modemst1:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:modemst2:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:modemst2:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:persist:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:persist:0x2800000
    (bootloader) partition-type:misc:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:misc:0x100000
    (bootloader) partition-type:keystore:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:keystore:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:devcfg_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:devcfg_a:0x20000
    (bootloader) partition-type:devcfg_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:devcfg_b:0x20000
    (bootloader) partition-type:qupfw_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:qupfw_a:0x10000
    (bootloader) partition-type:qupfw_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:qupfw_b:0x10000
    (bootloader) partition-type:modemcal:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:modemcal:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:uefivar:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:uefivar:0x100000
    (bootloader) partition-type:ImageFv:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:ImageFv:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:frp:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:frp:0x80000
    (bootloader) partition-type:sti:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:sti:0x200000
    (bootloader) partition-type:storsec_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:storsec_a:0x20000
    (bootloader) partition-type:storsec_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:storsec_b:0x20000
    (bootloader) partition-type:rawdump:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:rawdump:0x8000000
    (bootloader) partition-type:vbmeta_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:vbmeta_a:0x10000
    (bootloader) partition-type:vbmeta_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:vbmeta_b:0x10000
    (bootloader) partition-type:klog:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:klog:0x400000
    (bootloader) partition-type:metadata:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:metadata:0x1000000
    (bootloader) partition-type:ffufw:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:ffufw:0x400000
    (bootloader) partition-type:system_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:system_a:0xC2C00000
    (bootloader) partition-type:system_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:system_b:0xC2C00000
    (bootloader) partition-type:vendor_a:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:vendor_a:0x30000000
    (bootloader) partition-type:vendor_b:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:vendor_b:0x30000000
    (bootloader) partition-type:userdata:raw
    (bootloader) partition-size:userdata:0xC7DB7BE00
    Dude, you're aware you own a prototype device right?

`(bootloader) secure-boot:NONE`
    `(bootloader) secure:no`
    `(bootloader) hw-revision:pROTO1.0`

This is a preproduction device, not intended for normal use.

I'd contact who ever sold this to you and get a new device...

Google prototypes, especially 1.0 version one often rely on old modem hacks and such, so I can't help you sadly.
    What on bonito's LineageOS experience doesn't match stock functionality? There should be 0.
    Stock 9 or 11? The device shipped with Pie, if that's the yardstick. Otherwise, current AOSP 11 standards determine it a good build.

2 steps forward and 11 steps back: To fully upgrade from the factory build, we lose custom recovery, MicroG, and ownership of /data. At present, there is no utility in updating the OS, or flashing a custom ROM for this device. Just novelty and convenience of having some UI features without rooting.
    In all sincerity, thank you for this answer. Please don't let my frustration with this device or the monolithic Google, in any way diminish your efforts or achievements.
    Does this ROM, or any of the custom roms work with the Verizon variant of Pixel 3a XL?
    nope, as you can't unlock the bootloader