• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Google Pixel 3a

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel 3a

Code:
- Your warranty is now void.
- You have been warned.
- Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Google Pixel 3a .

Downloads:
Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
  • None.
  • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
Notes:
  • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
  • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_msm-4.9

Last edited:

Mokura3rd

Jul 26, 2014
Followed update instructions, everything appears to be working fine so far. I was even able to sideload MindTheGapps after using OpenGapps back on 17.1! I'll be reinstalling my modules that rely on version detection for functionality, but I think it's going to be smooth sailing. Easiest major version update I've done for something in a long time.

EDIT: Never mind, Magisk is having issues detecting itself, meaning I'll probably have to factory reset - but that's no issue, I can move all my data to backups first.

Last edited:

Mokura3rd

Jul 26, 2014
I'll give the April 6 build a try soon - I had some weird issues with Magisk and reverted to the final 17.1 build. Magisk had an update as well so hopefully things don't go sideways this time.

Side question - does the old flashable su module still work, or is that more for legacy devices?

batp

Sep 6, 2010
My Tello T-Mobile sim won't work with LTE data on these builds.

It shows nothing in APN and won't let me add one.

"access point name settings are not available for this user lineage"

I put in my tracfone sim and it works.

Mokura3rd

Jul 26, 2014
After a fresh install:

So far so good on the new build with Magisk. Crossing my fingers Android Auto works, but so far everything else seems to be okay, Google Fi included.

FA21

Jan 8, 2021
As far as I can see so far, the update from 17.1 to 18.1 went almost without problems. KeyPassDX had to be reinstalled once, but now works again.
I had uninstalled the Magisk modules before. Magisk itself could not be uninstalled. But it was no problem. After sideloading the latest 18.1 nightly, reboot to system, reboot to recovery, sideload Magisk 22.0 zip, everything runs as usual. Thank you.

Mokura3rd

Jul 26, 2014
Android Auto worked flawlessly. I also installed the ElementalX kernel and KTweak with no issues. LOS runs like a dream again, thank you!

ceebeeme72

Feb 2, 2021
I have never gotten any of the Lineage recoveries to work with my Pixel 3a. TWRP works using the guide, but I thought since it doesn't support Android 10, that LineageOS 18.x cannot be flashed with TWRP. For those that are using 18, how did you end up installing it?

blksith0

Aug 10, 2008
This is probably our best Android-11 ROM option at the moment, correct?

I'll likely upgrade, since DU is still on 10, but:
Does Lineage have our phone's Active-Edge support?
Does it allow dragging across the top nav-bar for brightness adjustment?
I wish I could have the stability of LOS with the customizability of Bliss.

KingJ50

Jan 21, 2009
North Haven, CT
Having issues with this rom and MagiskHide. Once Hide is enabled the system becomes unstable and no new apps will open. Eventually the system just locks up completely. I tried factory resetting as well. Eventually downgraded but figured I'd try again seeing as a few updates have happened. Still having the same issue. If I disable Hide and reboot than the system works great. Has anyone else had this issue or is it even known? I have not been able to find anything about this on Google or XDA.

Mokura3rd

Jul 26, 2014
Screenshot_20210413-143439_Updater.png

Does "update recovery" relate to the boot image? In other words, if the switch is off, will Magisk be retained? Either way, I should probably bring my update/Magisk instructions here.

Reactions: blksith0

Mokura3rd

Jul 26, 2014
I have never gotten any of the Lineage recoveries to work with my Pixel 3a. TWRP works using the guide, but I thought since it doesn't support Android 10, that LineageOS 18.x cannot be flashed with TWRP. For those that are using 18, how did you end up installing it?
1. Flash latest A11 factory image, let it boot to the welcome screen.
2. Enter bootloader, flash recovery. (EDIT: fastboot flash boot [recovery zip file])
3. Enter recovery, factory reset.
4. Navigate to update w/ADB, sideload LOS zip.
5. (Optional) Use recovery menu to reboot to recovery again, to sideload MindTheGapps.
6. Reboot to system.

Last edited:

ceebeeme72

Feb 2, 2021
1. Flash latest A11 factory image, let it boot to the welcome screen.
2. Enter bootloader, flash recovery.
3. Enter recovery, factory reset.
4. Navigate to update w/ADB, sideload LOS zip.
5. (Optional) Use recovery menu to reboot to recovery again, to sideload MindTheGapps.
6. Reboot to system.
Thanks for that, but I already tried something similar. After flashing the A11 factory image, when I start the bootloader and try to flash the recovery, I get the error message " FAILED (remote: 'Not allowed to flash (recovery)')"

Mokura3rd

Jul 26, 2014
Thanks for that, but I already tried something similar. After flashing the A11 factory image, when I start the bootloader and try to flash the recovery, I get the error message " FAILED (remote: 'Not allowed to flash (recovery)')"
Did you try "fastboot flash boot [LOS recovery file.zip]"? Emphasis mine. I should have been more clear in my instructions, sorry.

ceebeeme72

Feb 2, 2021
Did you try "fastboot flash boot [LOS recovery file.zip]"? Emphasis mine. I should have been more clear in my instructions, sorry.
No, the LineageOS recoveries that I have been using are all *.img.
I found a work around finally. I followed the first few initial instructions:
  • fastboot flash boot boot.img
  • fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
  • fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
And then I was able to successfully flash the lineage recovery by using "fastboot flash boot [LOS recovery file.img]"

Now my problem in the same as why I switched from the LG G5 to the Pixel 3a, VoLTE and Wifi Calling don't work.
Oh, well. Thanks for the help.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Unfortunately I get no mobile data after installing gapps. I'm using Telus as my carrier in Canada. This happens on quite a few different ROMs that I've tried. I will be willing to do some testing if there's hope that this can get resolved @npjohnson
File a bug ticket as the wiki describes pls, can help more there.
No clue why that would be - they work for everyone else...
Just upgraded from 17.1 and Everything works great! (Including the NFC)
Good to hear!
You shouldn't be flashing 'recovery' - read the wiki pls, you may mess up your device.
And then I was able to successfully flash the lineage recovery by using "fastboot flash boot [LOS recovery file.img]"

Now my problem in the same as why I switched from the LG G5 to the Pixel 3a, VoLTE and Wifi Calling don't work.
Don't do any of this.

Flash stock Android 11, then as per the wiki guide, fastboot flash boot lineage-recovery.img, and then boot to recovery immeadiately.

Reactions: beeewell

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel 3a

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Google Pixel 3a .

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_msm-4.9
    Screenshot_20210413-143439_Updater.png

Does "update recovery" relate to the boot image? In other words, if the switch is off, will Magisk be retained? Either way, I should probably bring my update/Magisk instructions here.
    Unfortunately I get no mobile data after installing gapps. I'm using Telus as my carrier in Canada. This happens on quite a few different ROMs that I've tried. I will be willing to do some testing if there's hope that this can get resolved @npjohnson
    File a bug ticket as the wiki describes pls, can help more there.
    No clue why that would be - they work for everyone else...
    Just upgraded from 17.1 and Everything works great! (Including the NFC)
    Good to hear!
    You shouldn't be flashing 'recovery' - read the wiki pls, you may mess up your device.

Don't do any of this.

Flash stock Android 11, then as per the wiki guide, fastboot flash boot lineage-recovery.img, and then boot to recovery immeadiately.
    I was waiting for this update. Didn't feel like downgrading from Android 11 to 10.

I have a dummy question for you guys. When using lineage, if there's an OTA update is it simpler than updating stock Android on an unlocked bootloader? I just like the idea of hitting "update" and actually being able to update without having to do anything additional.

Just curious, thank you.
    There's an onboard updater that downloads updates at whatever interval you choose, and installs them for you. You only need to take additional steps if you use Magisk or an alternate kernel. Basic steps for that as follows:

1) Open Magisk and turn off all your modules (don't reboot)
    2) Open the Lineage updater, download and install the update
    3) Reboot
    4) Get the latest recovery img from https://download.lineageos.org/sargo and patch it with the Magisk app
    5) Use your PC or another device to fastboot flash boot the patched image to your phone
    6) Turn all your modules back on, reboot
    7) Flash your preferred alternate kernel, if desired
    thanks man, apologies for not catching the wiki sooner. i was able to go through the steps and get it done. you're the man
    anytime!

The easier way is just to grab the recovery image from our download portal, as its identical to the boot image in payload.bin.