• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Google Pixel 3a

Search This thread

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
I need help.
Long story short I got my device in bootloop. I am now on stock:
Sargo 11.0.0 (RQ3A.210705.001, Jul 2021)
I am also magisk boot patched.

How do I install https://lineage-18.1-20210720-nightly-sargo-signed.zip/ ?

If I follow the instructions on https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/sargo/install here then after step 5 where I flash the temporary TWRP 'fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-20210720-recovery-sargo.img goes fine, but when I reboot to recovery it fails with some error on the bootloader like no proper boot sector or something like that. I'm going to try again in a bit, but this isn't how I remember first installing lineage on my device and I can't remember how I originally did it.

Help please! I need to get back on to be able to restore my bank wallets etc.

Edit:
Okay I finally got lineage to boot.
But I tried both mind the gapps and micro/pico opengapps linked in the thread, and lineage won't boot, what gapps to use?

Last edited:

indrekh

Oct 18, 2018
I've been using LOS 18.1 on my Pixel 3a for a few months, and it works beautifully, including OTA updates. So thanks for all the hard work!

I wanted to ask whether it's possible to fix the issue with the display, where the corners are no longer perfectly rounded because of an additional 1-2 lines of black pixels on each side? Apparently this bug was introduced in the December update:
It doesn't look like Google is going to be bothered to fix it.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
The phone was wiped completely. I tried it multiple times completely wiped. Strange...
They started whitelisting build ID's! we're working on it lol - why Google! ahaha
I upgraded from lineage 16. I did a backup before and copied to my computer a file with " in it. Now I can't copy it back. From logcat:
"MediaProvider: File name contains invalid characters"

Are any other chars now banned?
Oof, only support upgrade from 17.1 really, not super sure.
It seems that the updater does not maintain root with Magisk Canary on my device, but that's a miniscule complaint, really.
Stable is maintained, canary I'm not sure.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I need help.
Long story short I got my device in bootloop. I am now on stock:
Sargo 11.0.0 (RQ3A.210705.001, Jul 2021)
I am also magisk boot patched.

How do I install https://lineage-18.1-20210720-nightly-sargo-signed.zip/ ?

If I follow the instructions on https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/sargo/install here then after step 5 where I flash the temporary TWRP 'fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-20210720-recovery-sargo.img goes fine, but when I reboot to recovery it fails with some error on the bootloader like no proper boot sector or something like that. I'm going to try again in a bit, but this isn't how I remember first installing lineage on my device and I can't remember how I originally did it.

Help please! I need to get back on to be able to restore my bank wallets etc.

Edit:
Okay I finally got lineage to boot.
But I tried both mind the gapps and micro/pico opengapps linked in the thread, and lineage won't boot, what gapps to use?
Follow the wiki and use Lineage Recovery and not TWRP.

Follow it to a tee, and everything will work fine.

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
I did another clean install.
Factory reset inside of lineage recovery.

fastboot reboot fastboot

fastboot flash --slot=all boot lineage-18.1-20210720-recovery-sargo.img
;ENTER RECOVERY
adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210720-nightly-sargo-signed.zip
;RESTART COVERY
adb sideload open_gapps-arm64-11.0-nano-20210731.zip
;MAGISK / ROOT
adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.zip
;KERNEL
adb sideload ElementalX-P3a-3.06.zip
;REBOOT

and every time I restart my phone, it fails to get past the lineage logo, and I have to force power it off and on again and then it will boot fine. I think it is for some reason installing two different OSs in active slot a and b?

Edit: It does seem to be booting up two separate versions of lineage. why does this keep happening? one I have magisk installed on the other not so I can see when it changes

Last edited:

zapmicro

I did another clean install.
Factory reset inside of lineage recovery.

fastboot reboot fastboot

fastboot flash --slot=all boot lineage-18.1-20210720-recovery-sargo.img
;ENTER RECOVERY
adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210720-nightly-sargo-signed.zip
;RESTART COVERY
adb sideload open_gapps-arm64-11.0-nano-20210731.zip
;MAGISK / ROOT
adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.zip
;KERNEL
adb sideload ElementalX-P3a-3.06.zip
;REBOOT

and every time I restart my phone, it fails to get past the lineage logo, and I have to force power it off and on again and then it will boot fine. I think it is for some reason installing two different OSs in active slot a and b?

Edit: It does seem to be booting up two separate versions of lineage. why does this keep happening? one I have magisk installed on the other not so I can see when it changes

You're not doing factory reset after getting into recovery for the first time, it is clearly mentioned in the instructions.

fastboot flash boot lineage*.img

Reboot to recovery

Factory reset from recovery

adb sideload rom

Then reboot to recovery

And then flash gapps

markd89

Jul 26, 2007
Hi,

I have LineageOS 18.1 working on my Pixel 3A, using the Lineage recovery per the instructions. I'm also rooted with Magisk and have Lsposed installed and working.

On previous phones, I have appreciated the backup feature of TWRP where I can save an image of the phone with all of the apps and settings. That way when I break it with more tinkering, I don't have to re-do everything manually.

The Lineage recovery doesn't have that feature, I'm wondering if there is another way to get an image backup?

Thanks!
Mark

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Hi,

I have LineageOS 18.1 working on my Pixel 3A, using the Lineage recovery per the instructions. I'm also rooted with Magisk and have Lsposed installed and working.

On previous phones, I have appreciated the backup feature of TWRP where I can save an image of the phone with all of the apps and settings. That way when I break it with more tinkering, I don't have to re-do everything manually.

The Lineage recovery doesn't have that feature, I'm wondering if there is another way to get an image backup?

Thanks!
Mark
Seedvault backup in settings.

Are you following the wiki guide and using lineage recovery?

Yes, downloads linked to the official site, I get an error around 10-20 percent sent and it just hangs until I unplug the USB-C cable from the phone then it gives me a bunch of errors in recovery

Actually every rom is doing it with lineageOS Recovery, DotOS did it too. Stuff like grapheneOS flashes fine

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Yes, downloads linked to the official site, I get an error around 10-20 percent sent and it just hangs until I unplug the USB-C cable from the phone then it gives me a bunch of errors in recovery

Actually every rom is doing it with lineageOS Recovery, DotOS did it too. Stuff like grapheneOS flashes fine
Try a different USB port/cable?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel 3a

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Google Pixel 3a .

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_msm-4.9
    Screenshot_20210413-143439_Updater.png

Does "update recovery" relate to the boot image? In other words, if the switch is off, will Magisk be retained? Either way, I should probably bring my update/Magisk instructions here.
    Unfortunately I get no mobile data after installing gapps. I'm using Telus as my carrier in Canada. This happens on quite a few different ROMs that I've tried. I will be willing to do some testing if there's hope that this can get resolved @npjohnson
    File a bug ticket as the wiki describes pls, can help more there.
    I have never gotten any of the Lineage recoveries to work with my Pixel 3a. TWRP works using the guide, but I thought since it doesn't support Android 10, that LineageOS 18.x cannot be flashed with TWRP. For those that are using 18, how did you end up installing it?
    No clue why that would be - they work for everyone else...
    Just upgraded from 17.1 and Everything works great! (Including the NFC)
    Good to hear!
    Thanks for that, but I already tried something similar. After flashing the A11 factory image, when I start the bootloader and try to flash the recovery, I get the error message " FAILED (remote: 'Not allowed to flash (recovery)')"
    You shouldn't be flashing 'recovery' - read the wiki pls, you may mess up your device.
    No, the LineageOS recoveries that I have been using are all *.img.
    I found a work around finally. I followed the first few initial instructions:
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
    • fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    • fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    And then I was able to successfully flash the lineage recovery by using "fastboot flash boot [LOS recovery file.img]"

Now my problem in the same as why I switched from the LG G5 to the Pixel 3a, VoLTE and Wifi Calling don't work.
    Oh, well. Thanks for the help.
    Don't do any of this.

Flash stock Android 11, then as per the wiki guide, fastboot flash boot lineage-recovery.img, and then boot to recovery immeadiately.
    I was waiting for this update. Didn't feel like downgrading from Android 11 to 10.

I have a dummy question for you guys. When using lineage, if there's an OTA update is it simpler than updating stock Android on an unlocked bootloader? I just like the idea of hitting "update" and actually being able to update without having to do anything additional.

Just curious, thank you.
    There's an onboard updater that downloads updates at whatever interval you choose, and installs them for you. You only need to take additional steps if you use Magisk or an alternate kernel. Basic steps for that as follows:

1) Open Magisk and turn off all your modules (don't reboot)
    2) Open the Lineage updater, download and install the update
    3) Reboot
    4) Get the latest recovery img from https://download.lineageos.org/sargo and patch it with the Magisk app
    5) Use your PC or another device to fastboot flash boot the patched image to your phone
    6) Turn all your modules back on, reboot
    7) Flash your preferred alternate kernel, if desired
    thanks man, apologies for not catching the wiki sooner. i was able to go through the steps and get it done. you're the man
    anytime!

The easier way is just to grab the recovery image from our download portal, as its identical to the boot image in payload.bin.