[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Google Pixel XL

Search This thread

excarnate

Nov 4, 2010
Adaptive brightness seems to be a common problem with Lineage 18.1, based on searches I've done because my Pixel XL suffers from the:
1. Too dark at when in dark room
2. Doesn't learn (~2 months of trying to train it)
3. Fights me when I try to pull it a little brighter

It has stock Lineage, have even resisted rooting it. It worked perfectly on 17.1 including just before installing 18.1 (clean install, reinstall of apps (no restore)). lineage_marlin-userdebug 11 RQ3A.211001.001 0b039223dd. I skip weeks when the change log is empty, but have updated. I even tried a completely fresh install early on. I'd move back to 17.1, but no security updates means that's not a good idea.

I've seen mentions of changing the values used, in the context of the opposite problem and for a different device. I'm willing to try that type of thing but I prefer a real fix.

How can I help?

Reactions: post-mortem

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
First, thanks for all the work. I saw where Google pushed out a post-EoL update to the 3XL to get ready for the 3G shutdown on Verizon. Does this fix the make Marlin good as well? Thanks again.
The post EOL update was not related to that at all. It just enabled voice-over LTE for a few more carriers.

Marlin and Sailfish are fine as long as your carrier supported voiceover LTE before the shutdown.

Reactions: paperjam252

activadroid

Feb 25, 2020
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
The only excluding factor here is if 4.4 gets ported lol - if that works - I can do S bringup in about an hour or two lol.
Hi, 2 questions: (1) Any idea when you might STOP building updates for Sailfish & Marlin ? I have been using your builds on both for months, but read here that LineageOS 19 will NOT be built for these models.
RELATED: I want to continue to get security updates & use some of the phones for streaming music players, etc, so I tried following the DIY build instructions for 18.1 - which failed during BRUNCH MARLIN due to 4 errors. All errors were related to 4 missing proprietary blobs files not being extracted (rcsservice.jar embms.jar qti-vzw-ims-internal.jar & qtiTtelephonyServicelibrary.jar file not found in source). This appeared to be a problem actually during in the extract-files.sh, but many files WERE found during that, & many were not, but only these 4 listed as errors after running 'brunch marlin'
(2) any suggestions ?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Hi, 2 questions: (1) Any idea when you might STOP building updates for Sailfish & Marlin ? I have been using your builds on both for months, but read here that LineageOS 19 will NOT be built for these models.
RELATED: I want to continue to get security updates & use some of the phones for streaming music players, etc, so I tried following the DIY build instructions for 18.1 - which failed during BRUNCH MARLIN due to 4 errors. All errors were related to 4 missing proprietary blobs files not being extracted (rcsservice.jar embms.jar qti-vzw-ims-internal.jar & qtiTtelephonyServicelibrary.jar file not found in source). This appeared to be a problem actually during in the extract-files.sh, but many files WERE found during that, & many were not, but only these 4 listed as errors after running 'brunch marlin'
(2) any suggestions ?
to build it's easy, sync GitHub.com/TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_google to vendor/google, and it will work fine.

And my builds will keep rolling for the foreseeable future.

I still build 16.0 for the project tango tablet ;p

so my builds aren't going anywhere unless my sailfish fails.

activadroid

Feb 25, 2020
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
to build it's easy, sync GitHub.com/TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_google to vendor/google, and it will work fine.

And my builds will keep rolling for the foreseeable future.

I still build 16.0 for the project tango tablet ;p

so my builds aren't going anywhere unless my sailfish fails.
Hi, Thank you for quick reply. After I posted the questions, I re-read instructions on LineageOS build page and tried 'Extracting proprietary blobs from LineageOS zip files. I found the files I was missing. Previously I had only tried the method of extracting the blobs from the phone (a marlin with your latest updates).
the build is now progressing farther (7% so far) than before. So, I will let it run. If it fails, I will try the github path you recommended. Thank you again.

aneng64

Mar 22, 2015
@npjohnson Firstly, a HUGE thank you for your work on this. You have made my Pixel XL into a decent workable phone! Secondly, you mentioned back in February that VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling were now fixed. I'm on the latest nightly (18.1-20220907-NIGHTLY-marlin) and the option to enable it just isn't in any menu. If I search Settings, it lists the option, but when you tap on it, it takes you to the correct menu page but there is no entry for Wi-Fi Calling to enable.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@npjohnson Firstly, a HUGE thank you for your work on this. You have made my Pixel XL into a decent workable phone! Secondly, you mentioned back in February that VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling were now fixed. I'm on the latest nightly (18.1-20220907-NIGHTLY-marlin) and the option to enable it just isn't in any menu. If I search Settings, it lists the option, but when you tap on it, it takes you to the correct menu page but there is no entry for Wi-Fi Calling to enable.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you.
Does the stock ROM support these features on your carrier? I'm probably betting no?
Instalation stuck at 47%, any ideas?
It's not stuck, it just sits there for a few minutes, the wiki talks about this

aneng64

Mar 22, 2015
@npjohnson The stock ROM on there previously was a non-branded standard Google one that definitely DID have the menu option to enable Wi-Fi calling and I tested it with a SIM from a carrier that supports it (EE UK) and it worked fine. Now, I'm on Lineage 18.1 and using a different carrier (Vodafone UK - also supports it) and the menu option just isn't there anymore. What build did you first get it added to? I might try flashing that to test.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@npjohnson The stock ROM on there previously was a non-branded standard Google one that definitely DID have the menu option to enable Wi-Fi calling and I tested it with a SIM from a carrier that supports it (EE UK) and it worked fine. Now, I'm on Lineage 18.1 and using a different carrier (Vodafone UK - also supports it) and the menu option just isn't there anymore. What build did you first get it added to? I might try flashing that to test.
It 100% works on current builds.

Please flash stock and check it works on your new carrier - I am betting it won't sadly.

We use the same setup as stock for VoLTEWFC.

hp13

Feb 17, 2011
Toronto
Google Pixel XL
Hello Everyone, I finally decided to flash this on my pixel XL and woow performance is amazing. I followed the Lineage OS wiki.

I’ve been long out of the ROM/Kernel scene.

Couple of questions:

1) when updating the Linesge OS to next build, do I need to flash GAPPS again?

2) Is Magisk the only way to root? If so, can someone share the guide?

I noticed my Pixel shuts off at 30% battery. I replaced the battery last week. I read online and this was known issue. I know it’s not LOS related. Any one else experiencing this ?

gverma1

Feb 7, 2012
New Delhi
Hello Everyone, I finally decided to flash this on my pixel XL and woow performance is amazing. I followed the Lineage OS wiki.

I’ve been long out of the ROM/Kernel scene.

Couple of questions:

1) when updating the Linesge OS to next build, do I need to flash GAPPS again?

2) Is Magisk the only way to root? If so, can someone share the guide?

I noticed my Pixel shuts off at 30% battery. I replaced the battery last week. I read online and this was known issue. I know it’s not LOS related. Any one else experiencing this ?
Updating LOS is easy as it supports OTA. Simply go to Settings-Advanced-Updater and update from there. No need to flash Gapps or even boot into recovery/bootloader mode. It doesn't even matter whether you are rooted or not - after the ota update you will retain root if you were already rooted. All settings etc. will be preserved.

Magisk is the only way to root currently. Download the latest Magisk.apk or Magisk.zip (both are the same and you can rename magisk.apk to magisk.zip). Then within recovery, flash magisk.zip. After booting system, just set up magisk.

Phone switching off at anything above 10% points to a dying battery. It seems you have been sold a faulty/old battery. How much SOT are you getting? For reference, I have a 2 year old battery in my Marlin and it now gives me abt 3hr SOT.

Reactions: rodken

hp13

Feb 17, 2011
Toronto
Google Pixel XL
Updating LOS is easy as it supports OTA. Simply go to Settings-Advanced-Updater and update from there. No need to flash Gapps or even boot into recovery/bootloader mode. It doesn't even matter whether you are rooted or not - after the ota update you will retain root if you were already rooted. All settings etc. will be preserved.

Magisk is the only way to root currently. Download the latest Magisk.apk or Magisk.zip (both are the same and you can rename magisk.apk to magisk.zip). Then within recovery, flash magisk.zip. After booting system, just set up magisk.

Phone switching off at anything above 10% points to a dying battery. It seems you have been sold a faulty/old battery. How much SOT are you getting? For reference, I have a 2 year old battery in my Marlin and it now gives me abt 3hr SOT.
Thanks for the info. Only reason I needed root was for the Adaway app to block adds.

I will take a look.

I had Sailfish that I bought on plan and it suffered motherboard issue after 24 months and Google wouldn’t RMA the device. It was effecting lot of people

Then last month I got Marlin of used market and initially phone would die within 25 mins and would get quite hot too. So I found local technician who can change it for $80 without breaking the screen. Others quoted $150 as well.

I know the battery is not faulty because phone doesn’t get hot anymore and it doesn’t die quickly. It could be that this is old stock so battery capacity is only 93%. (After 100% charge, it quickly drains to about 93% mark and stays there for abit longer)

But here is a link to 30% shut down. Could be hardware issue too

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5kq8c2

daedric

Dec 24, 2006
Porto
Thanks for the info. Only reason I needed root was for the Adaway app to block adds.

I will take a look.

I had Sailfish that I bought on plan and it suffered motherboard issue after 24 months and Google wouldn’t RMA the device. It was effecting lot of people

Then last month I got Marlin of used market and initially phone would die within 25 mins and would get quite hot too. So I found local technician who can change it for $80 without breaking the screen. Others quoted $150 as well.

I know the battery is not faulty because phone doesn’t get hot anymore and it doesn’t die quickly. It could be that this is old stock so battery capacity is only 93%. (After 100% charge, it quickly drains to about 93% mark and stays there for abit longer)

But here is a link to 30% shut down. Could be hardware issue too

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5kq8c2

I have:

Pixel XL
Pixel
HTC 10

All made by HTC, all with a spent battery. This things are quoted to a fixed number of charge cycles, after that, they simply will not hold.

There are apps to try and guess the % of battery left, my pixel XL is on 15% give or take. The real only solution is to swap battery, but most houses here will include a disclaimer "if the screen breaks, it's not our fault".

I would really like to make my pixels "new" again, but i'm afraid to break the XL screen, and the regular one has the sound issue so i would have to attempt a reflow.

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
Well, I finally got LOS updated to latest version (I was a little afraid to do it the past few months).
I followed the instructions at
Great that no reset/deleteData was needed.
Works good, except I have no root.

I have Magisk 25.2 installed.
I originally used Magisk 21.4 and had updated long ago to Magisk 25.2
Problem is it needs a boot.img file to patch, and I can't figure out how to do this.
I followed directions at
but I get python errors when it is run.

I tried sideloading the old Magisk 21.4, but when I run Magisk it is still Magisk 25.2

So, this is probably not the place, but can someone point me to a boot.img file for the latest LOS marlin ? Or on how to extract it from the payload.bin file ?

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
adb reboot recovery
On phone, in LOS recovery, enable ADB
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img

Seemed to work, but aparently /sdcard is not accessible to LOS recovery ?

adb pull /sdcard/boot_a.img
Reboot phone normally
adb push boot_a.img /sdcard

Have Magisk patch the file, then rename the file, copy it to /sdcard folder.
adb pull /sdcard/boot_a_patched.img

adb reboot fastboot
fastboot flash boot boot_a_patched.img
fastboot reboot

OK, this was alot of work to figure out, but it worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: post-mortem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is the Marlin (and probably Sailfish) release schedule changed? Last release was 12 November.
    monthly now.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Google Pixel XL

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Google Pixel XL.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • Sound Trigger (Screen-off "Hey Google" detection) is nonfunctional due to incompatibilities with older proprietary binaries, and lack of system space for needed Google Apps.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • Firmware is shipped in the ROM package for this device, so no need to worry about updating it on your own!
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is OpenGApps pico, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_google_marlin
    IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) are fixed. Next build will have it remediated.
    Wow! That's really a great news!!!
    and, there will be official builds now!
    First official build for marlin will be Saturday night.

For those of you still on my builds - you can't flash officials without wiping - but good news, you are welcome to stay on my builds, and they will continue to come out monthly. Up to you.

EDIT: For those of you asking I do take donations @ paypal.me/nolenjohnson
    Anyone know if the PixelExperience Android 11 based version for Marlin has functional VoLTE ?
    If theirs works, maybe ask them how they did it ?
    (I recently ordered an extra SIM to test this in my spare Marlin - already loaded with PixelExperience, but won't get it for a few more days).
    My daily driver has been running great on the official LineageOS based on android 10 for a year, but I don't want to mess with that.

Please let me know cause I asked and no reply yet

None of the Android 11 ROMs have a working IMS/VoLTE module. This includes Pixel Experience and Pixel Dust.

Yes that I know. But if moto g6 can support fully android 11 why cant pixel xl? I know specs are different and moto g6 is not a/b partition.

Just tested new Verizon SIM and CDMA -1xRTT only, NOT LTE for the Mobile Voice Network Type. bummed ! but not unexpected, after reading others comments.

Ya im bummed after hearing this to since I am on verizon. But ya I expected it to not work as what been said over and over. But maybe one day. I guess lineage os 17.1 ftw.
    Collective response to all of these:

IMS (VoLTE/VoWIFI) doesn't work on 11 ROMs for sailfish/marlin - not PE, not Lineage, not anything at the moment.

Legacy devices have IMS die at some point usually - ours just broke sooner than expected.

I hope to fix it someday, but given it's an old proprietary implementation with no documentation, the chances are low.

G6 has more modern and compatible blobs to kang, and it _just to happens_ to work.

Tl;DR: Chances IMS will every work for marlin above Android 10 are really, really low.