[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Google Pixel

Search This thread

Joran01

Jan 21, 2017
It's sadly a known bug, sometimes after it's successfully installs. The reboot button doesn't pop up, some people have tried to fix it but can't really isolate the issue.

If it ever happens again, know you can just reboot the device and it will actually update.
Is it an issue just related to the Pixel 1 or an issue with LineageOS 18.1 in general?

OFFSPRINGER3

Mar 13, 2014
I'm just duplicate message from Pixel XL forum

Post from Lunarixus about Pixel 1/XL kernel:

FOR DEVELOPERS: Pixel Linux 4.4 kernel source

There are many bugs due to catch you with this kernel source but I thought I'd make it public because the kernel does boot, it just needs someone to do some userspace work to get it to boot Android

Source is now public at: https://github.com/Lunarixus/msm-4.4-marlin

Maybe this could help bring Android 12 to our devices.

ericsodt

Dec 31, 2013
I'd love to use this ROM with my OG Pixel. Is there a tutorial or YT video showing how to do this? I'm not looking to brick the phone since I still use it every day.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I'd love to use this ROM with my OG Pixel. Is there a tutorial or YT video showing how to do this? I'm not looking to brick the phone since I still use it every day.
YouTube tutorials are almost always wrong and out of date, just follow the wiki guide, it's pretty straightforward

Joran01

Jan 21, 2017
I don't know if this issue is hardware or software related but my Pixel can't play back 10-bit HEVC (HDR) video.

It just says "Can't play video". Can 10-bit HEVC decoding be added through a software update or does the hardware of the Pixel nog support 10-bit HEVC decoding? This comment says that the decoding is not enabled on the Pixel which makes me believe it's just disabled through software and not a hardware limitation.

Also, my phone is rooted so if there's a way to add support by flashing a Magisk module, I'll happily do that.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
There is no hardware backed codec, so you could try to render in software but that would lag like hell and not be usable.
I don't know if this issue is hardware or software related but my Pixel can't play back 10-bit HEVC (HDR) video.

It just says "Can't play video". Can 10-bit HEVC decoding be added through a software update or does the hardware of the Pixel nog support 10-bit HEVC decoding? This comment says that the decoding is not enabled on the Pixel which makes me believe it's just disabled through software and not a hardware limitation.

Also, my phone is rooted so if there's a way to add support by flashing a Magisk module, I'll happily do that.

Reactions: spiral777

Joran01

Jan 21, 2017
There is no hardware backed codec, so you could try to render in software but that would lag like hell and not be usable.
I would like to use the software decoding/rendering (even if it would be laggy) but that also doesn't work. No matter what video player I use, it just can't play the video. Not even a single frame.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I would like to use the software decoding/rendering (even if it would be laggy) but that also doesn't work. No matter what video player I use, it just can't play the video. Not even a single frame.
Yeah, it's just not going to be able to do it if it's not hardware back, it's too high resolution and too high of a bit rate.

Software to coding just wouldn't do anything, you'd probably end up with corrupted buffers.

Joran01

Jan 21, 2017
I got Android 12 running on my Pixel 1 (32GB)! (Sorry npjohnson if this is off-topic but a lot of people here are wondering if Android 12 will ever come to the OG Pixel and this confirms the Pixel can definitely run Android 12 (and probably even Android 13 that just got released))
After an entire day of tinkering and debugging, I managed to install the Android 12 GSI system image.

Edit: Google Photos unlimited storage works! Google camera also works!

Screenshots:

Screenshot_20220815-204132.png

Screenshot_20220815-204201.png

Instructions can be found here: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Google-Pixel-and-Pixel-XL#procedure-used

System partition size can be increased with these commands: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-expand-the-system-partition-on-pixel-xl-pixel.4097839/

Make sure to use the vndklite GSI image. Other images won't boot.

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I got Android 12 running on my Pixel 1 (32GB)! (Sorry npjohnson if this is off-topic but a lot of people here are wondering if Android 12 will ever come to the OG Pixel and this confirms the Pixel can definitely run Android 12 (and probably even Android 13 that just got released))
After an entire day of tinkering and debugging, I managed to install the Android 12 GSI system image.

Screenshots:

View attachment 5686615

View attachment 5686619

Instructions can be found here: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Google-Pixel-and-Pixel-XL#procedure-used

System partition size can be increased with these commands: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-expand-the-system-partition-on-pixel-xl-pixel.4097839/

Remember the "unmergable hack" that I said Lineage won't use because it straight up breaks all network traffic reporting and VPN traffic because BPF isn't present? Yeah - this GSI uses that. So, no, still no Android 12 device specific builds for m1s1.

Empty_Energy07

Aug 17, 2022

Screenshots:

View attachment 5686615

View attachment 5686619

Is there anyway you can make a video tutorial on how you did this, or a more in depth text tutorial? I would like to try it on my OG Pixel. I tried following the instructions on the wiki but they don't really make sense to me.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Is there anyway you can make a video tutorial on how you did this, or a more in depth text tutorial? I would like to try it on my OG Pixel. I tried following the instructions on the wiki but they don't really make sense to me.
Please take GSI discussion to another thread

pekas

May 6, 2020
århus
Problems in the calls. People cant hear me and I can just hear them if using the speaker, but still cant hear me?? anyone knows about this issue?

uzivatel-pixelu

Feb 28, 2022
Hi, Pekas, I have no such problem. Do you use stock Dialer?
If you want to test it, you could make a backup of your phone, flash stock ROM or factory reset to check if the issue persist even there. If yes, the problem is in the phone, if no, reflashing Lineage won't hurt.

Reactions: pekas

cucumbersmell

Nov 14, 2009
Portland, OR
Problems in the calls. People cant hear me and I can just hear them if using the speaker, but still cant hear me?? anyone knows about this issue?

Have had two of them with the mic stop working. Both were refurbed.

Reactions: spiral777

pekas

May 6, 2020
århus
Hi, Pekas, I have no such problem. Do you use stock Dialer?
If you want to test it, you could make a backup of your phone, flash stock ROM or factory reset to check if the issue persist even there. If yes, the problem is in the phone, if no, reflashing Lineage won't hurt.
I have just check A install and it works perfectly. So might be something with the custom rom

Top Liked Posts