• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG G5

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
lineage-os-logo.png

LG G5

Code:
- Your warranty is now void.
- You have been warned.
- Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG G5.

Downloads:
Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
  • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
  • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
Notes:
  • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996

Last edited:

ToltecCat

Feb 14, 2021
I have a question to someone smarter than me. I've already looked this up on XDA forums and even submited a bug report (via Lineage's official bug report page alongside a logcat) but it seems this particular problem is still present in Lineage 18.1 (and has been present throughout all builds I've tried - beginning with Lineage 15.1). In fact, it's a two-sided problem I'm really surprised to see no one else is reporting for the H850 (International).

The issue concerns microphone gain level and speaker sound (but just the speaker - headphones work fine).

In case of the microphone, its gain level is particualry nonexistant. If I record using the camera app, I can't hear almost any sound in recorded videos, except for massive distortion and crackling sounds (unless I boost the volume level to max - in which case I can hear some of the recoded sounds, but the distortion/crackling also gets louder to the point of being completely unacceptable). It's the same when I use the built-in sound recording app and listen to what I recorded.

The second thing - related in a way - is the speaker audio quality. The speaker produces tons of distortion and crackling sounds - whether its watching videos, listening to music etc. Up to the point I get worried that I'll damage the speaker by continuing using it. Again - just the speakers, not the headphones.

What I've tried to do to resolve the problem(s) so far:

- Downloaded various audio / equalizer apps nad tried to deal with the distortion/crackiling sounds - none of them helped.
- Used an app to boost micrphone gain level - gain level increased, but so did the distortion/crackling.
- Tried reverting back to stock OS (problem dosen't occur on stock OS) and then installing first Lineage 15.1, then 16 and then 17.1 - but the issue remains on all builds.
- I replaced the chin/bottom panel (the one containing the microphone and speaker) thinking it might be a hardware issue. It's not - it didn't change anything.

I assume it has something to do with the audio driver Lineage is using for LG G5 H850? I found a post here on the forum, where someone mentioned that Lineage is using a driver/audio frequency which is dedicated for newer phones, and not for older ones, like the LG G5.

Is there a way to perhaps extract the audio/microphone/speaker drivers from stock androind 8.0 and use it with Lineage 18.1? Perhaps that would resolve the issue, but I'm not sure if that's at all possible. Has anyone else using H850 encountered this issue and found a soultuion? I'd love to continue using Lineage but it's really diffcoult without resolving the matter. Sorry about the lenght of the post and many thanks to anyone interested in looking into this.

P.S. To be a bit more specific: a subtle audio distrotion / crackling sound is present on stock Android 8 Oreo, but it's barely hearable unless I put my ear next to the speaker and actually look for it. It's like a subtle white noise / hissing in the background. When I Install Lineage, this "noise" gets strenghtened and boosted into forground, as if Lineage magnifies it and turns into crackling.

Last edited:

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
I just checked my phone. I'm using 18.1 self built on 30 March, with no changes to audio. The phone is H850. I've gone from lineage 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18. I've never used stock on it.

1. Playing music or audio books over the speakers sounds fine (given the quality of the speakers). No crackling or distortion.

2. Recording with the Recorder produces an audio file that is on the low side with regard to volume, but no particular distortion.

3. Ditto for recording with Open Camera.

Best wishes,
Bob

Reactions: ToltecCat

ToltecCat

Feb 14, 2021
I just checked my phone. I'm using 18.1 self built on 30 March, with no changes to audio. The phone is H850. I've gone from lineage 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18. I've never used stock on it.

1. Playing music or audio books over the speakers sounds fine (given the quality of the speakers). No crackling or distortion.

2. Recording with the Recorder produces an audio file that is on the low side with regard to volume, but no particular distortion.

Best wishes,
Bob
Thank you for your reply. I was about to ask which version of stock Android you migrated from, but then I noticed you never used stock. Maybe I could recerate the same route (starting with 14 and stopping at 18) to see if the problem persists. I'm not entirely sure how should I go from zero to Lineage 14 though. Does this indicate formatting all data (in TWRP recorvey/wpie) - as this would presubmly wipe any traces of previous audio drivers - or should I check other options in the 'advanced wipe' section of TWRP and avoid formatting data, as that would wipe everything whatsoever and leave no ground at all for Lineage to be installed? Just thinking where should I start to make a clean install as if no stock was involved.

As far as the microphone and video recording is concrened, I've tried using a different camera app - including Open Camera - but this didn't help with the crackling audio nor increase the microphone gain.

Many thanks

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
Thank you for your reply. I was about to ask which version of stock Android you migrated from, but then I noticed you never used stock. Maybe I could recerate the same route (starting with 14 and stopping at 18) to see if the problem persists. I'm not entirely sure how should I go from zero to Lineage 14 though. Does this indicate formatting all data (in TWRP recorvey/wpie) - as this would presubmly wipe any traces of previous audio drivers - or should I check other options in the 'advanced wipe' section of TWRP and avoid formatting data, as that would wipe everything whatsoever and leave no ground at all for Lineage to be installed? Just thinking where should I start to make a clean install as if no stock was involved.

As far as the microphone and video recording is concrened, I've tried using a different camera app - including Open Camera - but this didn't help with the crackling audio nor increase the microphone gain.

Many thanks

I don't see the advantage to cycling through all these versions. Have you just tried a clean install? This would require wiping data, caches, and, perhaps, system. Then installing lineage via sideload or from external storage, adding GAPPS if you use them..

Indeed, just following the instructions for installing lineage given on the wiki is going to give you as clean a system as you are likely to get.

Best wishes,
Bob

Reactions: ToltecCat

ToltecCat

Feb 14, 2021
I don't see the advantage to cycling through all these versions. Have you just tried a clean install? This would require wiping data, caches, and, perhaps, system. Then installing lineage via sideload or from external storage, adding GAPPS if you use them..

Indeed, just following the instructions for installing lineage given on the wiki is going to give you as clean a system as you are likely to get.

Best wishes,
Bob
I see. I've made a full cycle like that once (stock Android 8 -> 15.1 -> 16 -> 17.1) only beacuse I stumbled upon a post which said this might resolve my issue. It included a dirty flash from 15.1 to 16. Back then - but also this morning, when I installed 18.1 for the first time - I began with wiping data, caches and system. I guess that counts for a clean install then.

When I first heard about Lineage (that was in January I think) I initially went from stock Android 8 -> 17.1 and I've followed all the insturctions found on Lineage wiki (I've even used Lineage recovery instead of TWRP).

By the way, when you say "I've never used stock on it", do you mean the phone came with Lineage 14? Or did you - initially - have some other stock android before moving to Lineage, just never used it?

Other than that, I guess I'm back at square one as I don't have other ideas at present. But still, thanks for the insightful reply!

Reactions: rfrazier

ToltecCat

Feb 14, 2021
I have a question to someone smarter than me. I've already looked this up on XDA forums and even submited a bug report (via Lineage's official bug report page alongside a logcat) but it seems this particular problem is still present in Lineage 18.1 (and has been present throughout all builds I've tried - beginning with Lineage 15.1). In fact, it's a two-sided problem I'm really surprised to see no one else is reporting for the H850 (International).

The issue concerns microphone gain level and speaker sound (but just the speaker - headphones work fine).

In case of the microphone, its gain level is particualry nonexistant. If I record using the camera app, I can't hear almost any sound in recorded videos, except for massive distortion and crackling sounds (unless I boost the volume level to max - in which case I can hear some of the recoded sounds, but the distortion/crackling also gets louder to the point of being completely unacceptable). It's the same when I use the built-in sound recording app and listen to what I recorded.

The second thing - related in a way - is the speaker audio quality. The speaker produces tons of distortion and crackling sounds - whether its watching videos, listening to music etc. Up to the point I get worried that I'll damage the speaker by continuing using it. Again - just the speakers, not the headphones.

What I've tried to do to resolve the problem(s) so far:

- Downloaded various audio / equalizer apps nad tried to deal with the distortion/crackiling sounds - none of them helped.
- Used an app to boost micrphone gain level - gain level increased, but so did the distortion/crackling.
- Tried reverting back to stock OS (problem dosen't occur on stock OS) and then installing first Lineage 15.1, then 16 and then 17.1 - but the issue remains on all builds.
- I replaced the chin/bottom panel (the one containing the microphone and speaker) thinking it might be a hardware issue. It's not - it didn't change anything.

I assume it has something to do with the audio driver Lineage is using for LG G5 H850? I found a post here on the forum, where someone mentioned that Lineage is using a driver/audio frequency which is dedicated for newer phones, and not for older ones, like the LG G5.

Is there a way to perhaps extract the audio/microphone/speaker drivers from stock androind 8.0 and use it with Lineage 18.1? Perhaps that would resolve the issue, but I'm not sure if that's at all possible. Has anyone else using H850 encountered this issue and found a soultuion? I'd love to continue using Lineage but it's really diffcoult without resolving the matter. Sorry about the lenght of the post and many thanks to anyone interested in looking into this.

P.S. To be a bit more specific: a subtle audio distrotion / crackling sound is present on stock Android 8 Oreo, but it's barely hearable unless I put my ear next to the speaker and actually look for it. It's like a subtle white noise / hissing in the background. When I Install Lineage, this "noise" gets strenghtened and boosted into forground, as if Lineage magnifies it and turns into crackling.
Just wanted to report small progress here.

The good: I've used TWRP recovery -> Wpie -> Format data. Then I've flashed official Lineage 14 and checked the microphone & speaker again. Resoult: everything works falwlessly! Microphone gain level is top notch and speaker works loud and clear with no crackling, hissing sounds or whatever. It's the first time it worked for me on a Lineage OS, that's whay I consider it "small progress".

The bad:

- If I execute the above steps and flash the new/official Lineage 18.1 (instead of Lineage 14), the problem is still there.

- If I try to make a manual upgrade (via adb sideload) from Lineage 14 to 18.1, the problem is still there.

- If I dirty flash Lineage 18.1 over Lineage 14... the problem is still there.

That's that for now. Hopefully a proper solution will sprout sooner or later!

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
OK, I think I messed up bad. I've been applying the 17.1 nighties without issues.
Lineage popped up saying an update was availble. Without me realising it was 18.1, I downloaded and installed like it was 17.1 and now it just loops, is it ****ed up?
Have I lost everything !! noooo. I knew I should of done a backup...Feck!

bicho2015

Apr 12, 2020
Mascara
OK, I think I messed up bad. I've been applying the 17.1 nighties without issues.
Lineage popped up saying an update was availble. Without me realising it was 18.1, I downloaded and installed like it was 17.1 and now it just loops, is it ****ed up?
Have I lost everything !! noooo. I knew I should of done a backup...Feck!
I installed lineage 18.1 and mindthegapps for android 11 over lineage 17.1 and it works fine .
Try installing gapps for android 11 from sd card, it may fix the loop.

Reactions: davestuarts

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
I installed lineage 18.1 and mindthegapps for android 11 over lineage 17.1 and it works fine .
Oh. I went the other way and I installed the last 17.1 nightly and it's still looping.
When you installed 18.1 and mindthegapps, were all files and apps as normal with settings?
I need a few apps and sms to be accessible at the least if not all?. I'm losing it I think.
My recovery is twrp 3.5.0_9-0.

bicho2015

Apr 12, 2020
Mascara
Oh. I went the other way and I installed the last 17.1 nightly and it's still looping.
When you installed 18.1 and mindthegapps, were all files and apps as normal with settings?
I need a few apps and sms to be accessible at the least if not all?. I'm losing it I think.
My recovery is twrp 3.5.0_9-0.
I lost nothing, all apps and data the same, just like normal 17.1 update.
I use orangefox recovery.
You may try installing magisk canary zip, it also fix the bootloop sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: davestuarts

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
I lost nothing, all apps and data the same, just like normal 17.1 update.
I use orangefox recovery.
You may try installing magisk canary zip, it also fix the bootloop sometimes.
Ok thx, really appreciate this, I'm still panicking. I'll install 18.1 again and mindthegapps. I cannot find the magisk canary as a zip, apparantly its all changed to an apk install.

update: Mate you're awesome!! So glad it worked! I'm just trying to figure out new magisk install method, but I'm back in. Phew! Appreciate the support.
Back to doing backups! Been doing this for years, and this time..damn...

Last edited:
Reactions: bicho2015
Nov 29, 2020
If you're phone is misbehaving and you never did Stock updates, I highly recommend doing a full wipe/format and flashing the latest Autoprime's COMPLETE flashable stock packages for your G5 via TWRP (whichever specific model you have)

I've experienced odd issues when using custom ROMs on the G5 that were fixed once doing so. Those full updates made an update to something important to whichever partition (boot, modem, who knows) that later Lineage builds are based off of.

davestuarts

Sep 28, 2010
Ok, so far so good. This accidental update from 17.1 to 18.1 had me sweating for a few hours.
My fault for not noticing the update number and noit creating a backup.
I've been on custom roms a while with this phone and each major update, I'll always start with a fresh one, so my 17.1 was fresh but as this time thinks got messed up, I've essentially had to dirty flash to 18.1, with reassring advice from here.

This rom has randonly crashed and restarted 3 times so far, and I think it was down to twitter app, so I've updated my most used apps to see if that helps.

If things continue to crash/restart, I'l lsave important apps/data (migrateGPE app worked well before) and then do a fresh install of 18.1. After having a panick mode before, I've already created a twrp backup.

The ROM generally works fine, quite speedy and all connectivity works as it should.
Appreciate the continued support for this phone

[email protected]@

Sep 26, 2013
I'm back on LOS from Havoc not wiping data partition, but wiping everything else. Settings are crushing on me when I try to enter About System. Is it just me or not?

Now phone restarted randomly. That never happened before on LOS.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1) 17.1 should be the supported upgrade path, 16.0 I have no clue tbh.
    2) I don't touch TWRP much. I didn't port it. Nor do I know much about decrypting in recovery a inner mechanics. Someone else would have to step up to fix that one.
    1.) I'd definitely step up one major version at a time, but 17.1 has the same issue -- there's no direct upgrade path to 17.1 either, only the cumbersome workaround I detailed in my original post. There's something about Android 10 FDE that's completely incompatible with prior versions.

2.) Disappointing as I've been trying to bring attention to this for years now so I can finally get off Pie, but I respect that you at least responded. Thanks.
    I set governor to ondemand and the overheating issue reduces

I set the governor to ondemand and the heat problems reduces
    The big cpu or little cpu? I tried setting both at schedutil, not as bad as before, but I still pick up some heat during regular browsing session and playing chess. I doubt these are that cpu/gpu intensive. Maybe it's because of wifi usage. Again this wasn't a problem with stock rom, but really don't want to go back. Really like lineage, it runs very smoothly (beside the heating issue)

I'll try the ondemand setting and see how it goes.

Edit: using it for about 5 or 6 hours so far, setting the CPU at ondemand definitely yield the best result. No heat at all during regular browsing session. Haven't try any game yet, but so far so good!
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG G5

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG G5.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    Does anybody know what's the difference between the recovery downloadable here <https://download.lineageos.org/h850> and the official TWRP from here <https://eu.dl.twrp.me/h850/> or has anybody running/tested the first?
    I've used nothing but LineageOS recovery since the beginning of December.

TWRP has many more features, such as a shell and nanroid backup. Lineage recovery is (or was, last time I used TWRP) better integrated into the system. It allows automatic upgrade of an encrypted system.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    If you're phone is misbehaving and you never did Stock updates, I highly recommend doing a full wipe/format and flashing the latest Autoprime's COMPLETE flashable stock packages for your G5 via TWRP (whichever specific model you have)

I've experienced odd issues when using custom ROMs on the G5 that were fixed once doing so. Those full updates made an update to something important to whichever partition (boot, modem, who knows) that later Lineage builds are based off of.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I set governor to ondemand and the overheating issue reduces

I set the governor to ondemand and the heat problems reduces
    The big cpu or little cpu? I tried setting both at schedutil, not as bad as before, but I still pick up some heat during regular browsing session and playing chess. I doubt these are that cpu/gpu intensive. Maybe it's because of wifi usage. Again this wasn't a problem with stock rom, but really don't want to go back. Really like lineage, it runs very smoothly (beside the heating issue)

I'll try the ondemand setting and see how it goes.

Edit: using it for about 5 or 6 hours so far, setting the CPU at ondemand definitely yield the best result. No heat at all during regular browsing session. Haven't try any game yet, but so far so good!