• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG G5

Search This thread

toot-217

Nov 3, 2012
With LOS 17.1 and 18.1 I never seen issue on fingerprint reader, but only on NFC.

In the past Open Gapps was not supported on LOS 18.1(android 11) but only 17.1(android 10) and they worked well. Now I see is supported also on android 11, I think works but I never tried, I'm using Nikgapps and are good.

I never used android auto so I don't know.
FInally I found the time to install 18.1 on my (spare) LG G5.
I sticked to this "guide" and started with 15.1 and ended with 18.1.
Everything works fine, except of the fingerprint reader, even Android Auto works! :)
I tried this time MindTheGapps and encountered no problems during the installation.

@rfrazier
You are talking about the counterpart of this area on the mainboard, right? (took the screenshot from this video)
1628026092836.png

I'm still a little bit skeptical, the fingerprint reader stopped working on my two G5s almost at the same time, but it've to be a hardware decet, during flashing 15.1 - 18.1 it never worked.

(By a funny coincidence I've got two H850 and I'm switching them regulary after testing a new / updated rom on the other device)

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
FInally I found the time to install 18.1 on my (spare) LG G5.
I sticked to this "guide" and started with 15.1 and ended with 18.1.
Everything works fine, except of the fingerprint reader, even Android Auto works! :)
I tried this time MindTheGapps and encountered no problems during the installation.

@rfrazier
You are talking about the counterpart of this area on the mainboard, right? (took the screenshot from this video)
View attachment 5377337

I'm still a little bit skeptical, the fingerprint reader stopped working on my two G5s almost at the same time, but it've to be a hardware decet, during flashing 15.1 - 18.1 it never worked.

(By a funny coincidence I've got two H850 and I'm switching them regulary after testing a new / updated rom on the other device)

Yes, that's the fingerprint sensor pad, with corresponding spring connectors on the mainboard.

I too had a spare LG G5. It would have been useful to be able to use it last week. Unfortunately, about 4 months ago my wife's phone failed, and I gave her the spare LG G5 to use until she got another phone. After a month, she said that she quite liked the phone and would keep it. :)

Best wishes,
Bob

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
I just checked my phone. I'm using 18.1 self built on 30 March, with no changes to audio. The phone is H850. I've gone from lineage 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18. I've never used stock on it.

:

Best wishes,
Bob
Hi Bob. I have the LG G5 H830 and I've been running Official 14.1 and like you never used stock.

I'm still on LOS 14.1 because its stable & I really like Privacy Guard. I wanted to ask you, in your journey from 14.1 to 18.1 on this phone can you tell me if each upgrade worth it in terms of stability, battery life, features, and performance? Any real advantages for each upgrade other than a new GUI each time?

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
Hi Bob. I have the LG G5 H830 and I've been running Official 14.1 and like you never used stock.

I'm still on LOS 14.1 because its stable & I really like Privacy Guard. I wanted to ask you, in your journey from 14.1 to 18.1 on this phone can you tell me if each upgrade worth it in terms of stability, battery life, features, and performance? Any real advantages for each upgrade other than a new GUI each time?

I still run 14.1 on a couple of tablets: Samsung Tab S (chagalwifi) and Note 8 (n5110). The UI is more coherent and better organized on 18.1. Notifications are much richer and better controllable. Everything I want to use works pretty well (BT media and calling, wifi, encryption GPS, ....)

I can't tell you whether each upgrade is worth it, as each has some advantages and disadvantages. Some of these have to do with Lineage and many have to do with the underlying android system. So, privacy guard was good, but the permission systems for 18.1 is almost as rich. The change to frameworks storage was a big one, and early on (16/17) was a pain, but things are better in 18.1. Lineage now has a built in local system backup, which is a very good thing. It no longer has native root, which isn't so good, but a result of the underlying android system (on my understanding). There also seems to be more "sandboxing", which is good, but has its downsides.

It is too hard to do a comparative measurement of battery life and performance. Battery life for the G5 has never been that good. But, I don't worry about that, since it is so easy to replace it. For example, I have no hesitation to charge it to full whenever I can. This reduces battery life somewhat, but I replace it every year anyway.

18.1 has been stable. Although there have been some hiccups early on. I'm not a developer, but I think that the major change from 16 to 17 made a big difference as things became much more modular, with overlays and the like. Once that hurdle was overcome, I think that there was time to get things working well, while thinking that the work done on 17 would be transferable to 18 in a way that work done on 16 wasn't so transferable to 17. My guess is that further updates (18->19) will be less problematic than earlier version changes. But a developer like @npjohnson might be able to say more about this, or set me right, if I'm mistaken.

One real advantage for me with 18.1 is that using accessibility controls I can have the system adjusted so that one sound channel is louder than the other. The hearing in my right ear isn't as good as the hearing in my left ear. It used to be that I would have to try to adjust things app by app, which wasn't always possible. Now it is fire and forget.

The email app is dropped in 18, which is probably good. (I use fairemail, used to use K9-mail, but it doesn't do oauth well.) The old calendar app is dropped in favour of Etar, which is good.

Generally, I think that 18.1 is much slicker and better organized than 14.1, which, as I said, I still use on tablets.

Best wishes,
Bob

Reactions: EEngineer

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
Postscript, of a sort.

One of the main reasons that I've been upgrading, other than having the "new hotness", is that with each upgrade, I can be pretty sure of about two years of quick security updates. 14.1 is still getting security updates, but not so quick (1 or 2 months lag), and with less surety. I think that this matters less on my tablets. (I do a DIY build and sign on 18.1 and 14.1, which are the only versions I currently use.)

Of course, it would be even better if there were security updates for the phones firmware.

Best wishes,
Bob

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
:
Lineage now has a built in local system backup, which is a very good thing. It no longer has native root, which isn't so good, but a result of the underlying android system (on my understanding). There also seems to be more "sandboxing", which is good, but has its downsides.

It is too hard to do a comparative measurement of battery life and performance. Battery life for the G5 has never been that good. But, I don't worry about that, since it is so easy to replace it. For example, I have no hesitation to charge it to full whenever I can. This reduces battery life somewhat, but I replace it every year anyway.

:

Generally, I think that 18.1 is much slicker and better organized than 14.1, which, as I said, I still use on tablets.

Best wishes,
Bob
Thanks for the detailed reply, Bob! I'm concerned that you wrote LOS 18.1 no longer has native root. How does that affect removing apps, setting up root firewalls like AFWall+, etc?

BTW when I first set up my LG G5 this past January I first installed LOS 17.1, but it kept throwing Android errors on my H830 (I don't remember the errors) and two of my favorite (but older) apps crashed. I then wiped & installed 14.1 instead and it ran better.

I get good battery life on my LG G5, 2 or 3 days. Almost every app that uses background data is denied background data in Privacy Guard (can 18.1 still do this?) and every app that does not NEED internet access is blocked in AFWall+. I also have SmartPack-Kernel manager installed and set the Little CPU governor to Conservative which noticeably improves battery life.

I'm going to start looking at 18.1 and consider an upgrade. Can I upgrade in place 14.1 to 18.1 or do I need to do a wipe, install, then reinstall my apps?

Last edited:

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
Thanks for the detailed reply, Bob! I'm concerned that you wrote LOS 18.1 no longer has native root. How does that affect removing apps, setting up root firewalls like AFWall+, etc?

I get good battery life on my LG G5, 2 or 3 days. Almost every app that uses background data is denied background data in Privacy Guard (can 18.1 still do this?) and every app that does not NEED internet access is blocked in AFWall+. I also have SmartPack-Kernel manager installed and set the Little CPU governor to Conservative which noticeably improves battery life.

I'm going to start looking at 18.1 and consider an upgrade. Can I upgrade in place 14.1 to 18.1 or do I need to do a wipe, install, then reinstall my apps?

If you want to use apps requiring root, you'll have to go the Magisk route. I'm no longer using root. If I need to do a rootish thing, I do it via adb, or when I build the ROM. Sorry, but I'm not sure about blocking background data. Nor do I know the best path from 14.1 to 18.1, but I've certainly zapped everything and done a clean install.

Best wishes,
Bob

Reactions: EEngineer

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
I was curious, so I looked for settings controlling an apps use of data. Satstat in this case. Here are the options one can control.
- Allow network access
- WIFI data (allows use of wifi)
- Mobile data (allows use of mobile data)
- Background data (appears to apply to mobile data only)
- VPN data
- Unrestricted data useage (when Data Saver is on)

Best wishes,
Bob

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
If you want to use apps requiring root, you'll have to go the Magisk route. I'm no longer using root. If I need to do a rootish thing, I do it via adb, or when I build the ROM. Sorry, but I'm not sure about blocking background data. Nor do I know the best path from 14.1 to 18.1, but I've certainly zapped everything and done a clean install.

Best wishes,
Bob
There's no sense in installing LOS if you're not going to have root.

ponce70

Jan 15, 2011
I installed LOS on my LG 5 mainly because it's a maintained OS (thanks again to all the maintainers!) and never felt the need of using root.

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
In many devices NFC wakelock eats battery power like a hungry goldfish. My G5's battery life was horrible until I stopped the NFC service (for some ROMs disabling NFC service makes the device unbootable).

Does this ROM allow you to turn off NFC? I ask because in some LOS ROMs, including my LOS 14.1 for the G5, the option in Settings to turn off NFC is grayed out.

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
yes you can turn off NFC and boot works.
If NFC is grayed out is because there is an issue with the download of firmware.
Try to follow this guide
After research and reading a lot of guesswork online, I saw a thread with a developer that worked through a grayed-out NFC switch issue. Because the problem is rarely fixed with a hard reset, he concluded it's either a kernel or permissions problem.

The only consistently successful solution was installing a different kernel, but the real cause is probably incorrect permissions set somewhere that does not allow the user to change the NFC setting.

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
After research and reading a lot of guesswork online, I saw a thread with a developer that worked through a grayed-out NFC switch issue. Because the problem is rarely fixed with a hard reset, he concluded it's either a kernel or permissions problem.

The only consistently successful solution was installing a different kernel, but the real cause is probably incorrect permissions set somewhere that does not allow the user to change the NFC setting.

Those are problems with ROMs other than LineageOS 18.1, I take it.

Best wishes,
Bob

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah, sorry, no you don't.

We've spent countless weeks looking at LG IMS. It's too complex to re-implement cleanly.

Especially on 14.1, where the IMS stack and dependencies aren't even all there to begin with.

Anything you're seeing is a false report, but not sure how that'd happen.
    Ah, sorry, I had this confused with another phone. Yeah, my LOS 14.1 G5 doesn't even have a VoLTE menu item; regardless, the call sound quality is amazing!
    Repo is no longer working for I've started getting the following error.

Code:
    [repo reset: error: Entry 'docs/release-process.md' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
    fatal: Could not reset index file to revision 'v2.16.6^0'.

My repo script is up to date.

My roomservice.xml is as follows.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <project name="LineageOS/android_device_lge_h850" path="device/lge/h850" remote="github" />
      <project name="LineageOS/android_device_lge_g5-common" path="device/lge/g5-common" remote="github" />
      <project name="LineageOS/android_device_lge_msm8996-common" path="device/lge/msm8996-common" remote="github" />
      <project name="LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996" path="kernel/lge/msm8996" remote="github" />
      <project name="LineageOS/android_device_lge_common" path="device/lge/common" remote="github" />
      <project name="LineageOS/android_hardware_sony_timekeep" path="hardware/sony/timekeep" remote="github" />
    </manifest>

My themuppets.xml is as follows.

Code:
    <manifest>
      <project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_lge" path="vendor/lge" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1" />
    </manifest>

Any suggestions?

Best wishes,
    Bob
    sounds like your tree is corrupted, I'd blow it away and resync.
    I just finished installing the dirty build, and the torch now works.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Hi. I have stupid question. What does this icon mean? It's present all the time and I cant' figure out what it means. I thought it's a system update icon, but updating system didn't make it go away. View attachment 5414725
    It's either showing the actual orientation of the screen or orientation mode you've chosen.
    Might be possible to turn off in status bar symbol settings.
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG G5

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG G5.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    I just checked my phone. I'm using 18.1 self built on 30 March, with no changes to audio. The phone is H850. I've gone from lineage 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18. I've never used stock on it.

1. Playing music or audio books over the speakers sounds fine (given the quality of the speakers). No crackling or distortion.

2. Recording with the Recorder produces an audio file that is on the low side with regard to volume, but no particular distortion.

3. Ditto for recording with Open Camera.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Thanks for all the hard work devs. Any chance/movement on the IR blaster or FM radio on the h850? Two of the reasons I bought this phone heh.
    FM may be fixed soon, IR I'm, really not sure whats up :/
    Thanks for all the hard work devs. Any chance/movement on the IR blaster or FM radio on the h850? Two of the reasons I bought this phone heh.
    If you're phone is misbehaving and you never did Stock updates, I highly recommend doing a full wipe/format and flashing the latest Autoprime's COMPLETE flashable stock packages for your G5 via TWRP (whichever specific model you have)

I've experienced odd issues when using custom ROMs on the G5 that were fixed once doing so. Those full updates made an update to something important to whichever partition (boot, modem, who knows) that later Lineage builds are based off of.