• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG G5

Search This thread

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5
IIRC H850 is unlocked only officially through LG. And they only offer unlock for EU H850.
So basically you have a phone which can't be unlocked, unless some hack thing is discovered.

orclex

Apr 1, 2016
I just installed LineageOS 18.1 on my LG G5 h850.
Is there any chance to use Google Pay on that device with LineageOS 18.1?

I do not need root so I'd like to disable root support if this allows me to use Google Pay. Unfortunately at the LineageOS webpage https://lineageosroms.com/root/ there are only patches to disable SuperUser up to LineageOS 16. What about 18.1?

I also found Magisk 23 and installed the zip in recovery mode and hide magisk in the settings. Unfortunately I still cannot pass the SafetyNet check. Has anyone passed it?
Is this the way to get Google Pay working?

Thanks!

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I just installed LineageOS 18.1 on my LG G5 h850.
Is there any chance to use Google Pay on that device with LineageOS 18.1?

I do not need root so I'd like to disable root support if this allows me to use Google Pay. Unfortunately at the LineageOS webpage https://lineageosroms.com/root/ there are only patches to disable SuperUser up to LineageOS 16. What about 18.1?

I also found Magisk 23 and installed the zip in recovery mode and hide magisk in the settings. Unfortunately I still cannot pass the SafetyNet check. Has anyone passed it?
Is this the way to get Google Pay working?

Thanks!
Lineageosroms is not lineage, it's some random ad filled crap site. Stay away.

Magisk no longer passes safetynet.

Brizzler

Jul 8, 2012
Hi all,

I am a longstanding LineageOS on H850 user - I've used 14.1 for several years as my daily driver.

Because the hardware started failing (power button) and I have yet to find an alterative handset that fulfills my wishes (removable battery!) as well, I recently purchased a second H850. I have recently been trying Lineage 18.1 on the new handset, but have run into a few issues. I'm running OpenGapps and Magisk 23.0 with TWRP 3.5.2 recovery.

The minor issue is spell-checking doesn't want to work properly with two languages, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...de-to-android-10-los-17.4145015/post-85865939

The major issue (that is driving me mad!) is that the phone crashes randomly, and rather frequently (I rarely get through much more than 24 hours without incident). There is no pattern in the crashes, sometimes they even happen in the middle of the night when sleeping, sometimes when typing, sometimes when opening an app etc. Occasionally the phone then bootloops and I put it out of its misery with a battery pull, usually though it reboots without further issue.

I've already done a clean install (TWRP factory reset wipe, then latest nightly etc.), and the issue has not gone away.

I would be immensely grateful for a route to a solution. As it is, the only thing I can think of doing is reverting to 14.1 in the hope that everything is as stable as on previous hardware... Any ideas?? Note that I am not an android expert - really, I just want a phone that works (without ads, bloatware etc.) - so comprehensive instructions are appreciated.

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Hi all,

I am a longstanding LineageOS on H850 user - I've used 14.1 for several years as my daily driver.

Because the hardware started failing (power button) and I have yet to find an alterative handset that fulfills my wishes (removable battery!) as well, I recently purchased a second H850. I have recently been trying Lineage 18.1 on the new handset, but have run into a few issues. I'm running OpenGapps and Magisk 23.0 with TWRP 3.5.2 recovery.

The minor issue is spell-checking doesn't want to work properly with two languages, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...de-to-android-10-los-17.4145015/post-85865939

The major issue (that is driving me mad!) is that the phone crashes randomly, and rather frequently (I rarely get through much more than 24 hours without incident). There is no pattern in the crashes, sometimes they even happen in the middle of the night when sleeping, sometimes when typing, sometimes when opening an app etc. Occasionally the phone then bootloops and I put it out of its misery with a battery pull, usually though it reboots without further issue.

I've already done a clean install (TWRP factory reset wipe, then latest nightly etc.), and the issue has not gone away.

I would be immensely grateful for a route to a solution. As it is, the only thing I can think of doing is reverting to 14.1 in the hope that everything is as stable as on previous hardware... Any ideas?? Note that I am not an android expert - really, I just want a phone that works (without ads, bloatware etc.) - so comprehensive instructions are appreciated.
If you are not already using the new H850 I'd install LOS 14.1 on it just to see if it works. Use the same setup as your existing H850 including Gapps/OpenGapps and root method.

If your new H850 still crashes using your older existing stable LOS 14.1 config, then your new H850 HW is bad.
If your new H850 is stable using the existing LOS 14.1 config then take a closer look at your LOS 18.1 setup.

I should mention that I have an H830 running LOS 14.1 new this year. Out of the box I installed official LOS 18.1 but my favorite apps kept crashing, so I went with LOS 14.1 instead.

EDITED: Fixed typos

Last edited:

Brizzler

Jul 8, 2012
If you are not already using the new H850 I'd install LOS 14.1 on it just to see if it works. Use the same setup as your existing H850 inluding Gapps/OpenGapps and root method.

If your new H850 still crashes using your older existing stable LOS 14.1 config, then your new H850 HW is bad.
If your new H850 is stable using the existing LOS 14.1 config then take a closes look at your LOS 18.1 setup.

I should mention that I have an H830 running LOS 14.1 new this year. Out of the box I installed official LOS 18.1 but my favorite apps kept crashing, so I went with LOS 14.1 instead.
Thanks a lot for the advice! I have been trying to use the new phone - but clearly this is currently "challenging", so I have already concluded that I will need to do another wipe...

What partitions should I wipe in TWRP for "the cleanest" installation before reverting to 14.1?

Of course interesting to hear that you've had a similar experience with 18.1 (on H830)...

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Hi all,

Hey Brizzler. The rom is very stable. Looks like a Gapps issue to me. Try using a different package (the smaller the better) like OpenGapps pico. I'm running Roar Gapps on my device and everything works fine.
Then install the rest of the apps from Playstore.

Brizzler

Jul 8, 2012
Hey Brizzler. The rom is very stable. Looks like a Gapps issue to me. Try using a different package (the smaller the better) like OpenGapps pico. I'm running Roar Gapps on my device and everything works fine.
Then install the rest of the apps from Playstore.
Thanks for your input!

As it happens, I'm already on the pico version of OpenGapps - sorry, should have mentioned...

Still worth trying a different Gapps?? What's the difference in practice between OpenGapps and alternatives like Roar (admit I've never heard of this)? Thanks!

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Thanks for your input!

As it happens, I'm already on the pico version of OpenGapps - sorry, should have mentioned...

Still worth trying a different Gapps?? What's the difference in practice between OpenGapps and alternatives like Roar (admit I've never heard of this)? Thanks!
Yeah, definitely. Try mindthegapps or the one I mentioned.
Roar gapps is similar than pico but more stable and drains less battery.

Last edited:

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Is that just a doze config for Google apps?

If it's just forcing doze on those you're breaking a ton of background features.

Plus unless you're stripping the exemption XMLs it's not doing anything?

Even if notifications work, Nearby discovery, Quick pairing, etc.

Honestly, all I can say is that everything works fine. I started using it in the early A11 days and at that time the difference with other packages in terms of battery consumption was notorious. Then I sticked with it.

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
Since the Dec security patch has been merged, I tried to build the system. Everything builds okay, and the apk signing goes okay, but when putting it all together I get an error.

Code:
   ERROR: Failed to run command '['simg2img', '/tmp/targetfiles-d7sa0b/IMAGES/sy
stem.img', '/tmp/targetfiles-d7sa0b/IMAGES/unsparse_system.img']' (exit code 255
):
error: file_write: write: No space left on device
Cannot write output file

simg2img is available. /tmp has plenty of space, as does the filesystem on which the lineage source is located. Any suggestions?

Best wishes,
Bob

tootandboom

Jul 29, 2021
LG G5
HTC 10
Hey folks,

So I'm curious what our current status is with regards to the US carriers shutting down 3G. Is this fully confirmed for 2022? I've seen some movement with AT&T on it, not sure about T-mobile.
I would hate to lose this phone, it's good harware made into a great phone with LOS.
As stated before, volte won't work on LG because it's baked into the framework.
What other phones do we know of that will work using LOS on 4G (volte, wifi calling)?

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the Dec security patch has been merged, I tried to build the system. Everything builds okay, and the apk signing goes okay, but when putting it all together I get an error.

Code:
       ERROR: Failed to run command '['simg2img', '/tmp/targetfiles-d7sa0b/IMAGES/sy
    stem.img', '/tmp/targetfiles-d7sa0b/IMAGES/unsparse_system.img']' (exit code 255
    ):
    error: file_write: write: No space left on device
    Cannot write output file

simg2img is available. /tmp has plenty of space, as does the filesystem on which the lineage source is located. Any suggestions?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Operator error. Apparently, 7GB wasn't enough for /tmp. I switched /tmp in /etc/environment to a larger disk, and all went well.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    There is your issue. Get in nougat. Need matching keymayer firmware. That's why in that ticket the splash screens were different.
    Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 7.0 firmware.
    I will rtfm more attentively next time 😅
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG G5

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG G5.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    I just checked my phone. I'm using 18.1 self built on 30 March, with no changes to audio. The phone is H850. I've gone from lineage 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18. I've never used stock on it.

1. Playing music or audio books over the speakers sounds fine (given the quality of the speakers). No crackling or distortion.

2. Recording with the Recorder produces an audio file that is on the low side with regard to volume, but no particular distortion.

3. Ditto for recording with Open Camera.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Thanks for all the hard work devs. Any chance/movement on the IR blaster or FM radio on the h850? Two of the reasons I bought this phone heh.
    FM may be fixed soon, IR I'm, really not sure whats up :/

Official now, I'm still using this device thanks to npjohnson, x86cpu and aleasto Well done :love:

Does anybody know what's the difference between the recovery downloadable here <https://download.lineageos.org/h850> and the official TWRP from here <https://eu.dl.twrp.me/h850/> or has anybody running/tested the first?
    I've used nothing but LineageOS recovery since the beginning of December.

TWRP has many more features, such as a shell and nanroid backup. Lineage recovery is (or was, last time I used TWRP) better integrated into the system. It allows automatic upgrade of an encrypted system.

Best wishes,
    Bob