[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG G5

Search This thread
Rebuilt phone after complete wipe with format today. Thought I'd try my luck one last time...
TWRP (updated to 3.6.1) + Lineage 18.1 (latest nightly) + OpenGapps pico + Magisk (updated to 24.2)
Also, unlike previously, I only flashed Magisk after the first boot to system. And things initially looked quite proming. However, since installing Magisk, boot hangs on the LG screen (never seen that before), rescued usually by long press of power button. But now phone has already become unstable again, and has crashed repeatedly - each time getting caught in a bootloop of sorts. Nightmare.

Anyone using Lineage 18.1 with Magisk?? I need root... I'm close to binning this handset at this point. Any final suggestions?
Tried without Gapps?
You use ARM64 don't you?
Older Magisk (I usually take 21) and updating later?
Mine is rooted but I took NikGapps64 instead.

Brizzler

Jul 8, 2012
Tried without Gapps?
You use ARM64 don't you?
Older Magisk (I usually take 21) and updating later?
Mine is rooted but I took NikGapps64 instead.
Thanks so much for your suggestions!
Given my intense frustration I have now invested in an FP3, so priority task is to get that operational, to have a working daily driver! If I find I have time to kill I will have a go at using an older Magisk, for example, on the G5. Yep, been using ARM64 Gapps all along...

guest2free

Feb 18, 2018
Hello everyone, I'd like to point to the previously mentioned problem with GPS. First of all it IS NOT a hardware problem (at least not in my case; tested on two phones). Everything works fine with stock ROM and with unofficial LOS 15.1. It even works with 18.1 if dirty flashed over previously working 15.1 installation. But as soon the phone is restarted or powered off on 18.1, GPS stops working. I'd be glad to test it further with unofficial X86CPU versions of 16.0 and 17.1 if someone would be so kind to upload last versions somewhere and post a link, since official GDrive folder seems to be down ...

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Me again, still having issues...

So, I have now attempted:
  • TWRP + Lineage 18.1 + OpenGapps pico + Magisk (twice!)
  • TWRP + Lineage 18.1 + Mindthegapps + Magisk
  • TWRP + Lineage 14.1 + OpenGapps pico + SU (as used without issue on old handset!) - TWRP error 7, aborted
  • TWRP (updated to 3.6.0) + Lineage 18.1 (latest nightly at time of install) + OpenGapps pico + Magisk (updated to 24.1)
For all combinations that actually flashed ok, things start quite well, but crashes occur with a generally increasing frequency, largely at random points (even on standby). The last combination seemed to be an improvement, most stable to date and the previously seen issue of spell-check not working in two languages seems to have been magically resolved. However, I've now had about 10 crashes in a handful of days, and it also now seems to be reproducibly crashing (when I try to attach a pic from gallery to a Signal message).

The whole experience is incredibly annoying, considering I really just want a working phone (with minimal Google footprint, no bloatware, a proper firewall and exchangeable battery), and this is supposed to be my daily user! Kinda at my wits end with the handset - what else should I try? Roar gapps? Why isn't the downgrade to 14.1 working? Anything I can do about that? Would be good to rule out hardware issues... Is Magisk a likely source of instability?
My LG G5 was crashing with any LineageOS. I found that I had to disable NFC, including disabling NFC wakelocks and alarms (using XPosed DeepSleep) to stop the crashing.

Disabling NFC also had a big improvement on battery life.

Last edited:

Brizzler

Jul 8, 2012
My LG G5 was crashing with any LineageOS. I found that I had to disable NFC, including disabling NFC wakelocks and alarms (using XPosed DeepSleep) to stop the crashing.

Disabling NFC also had a big improvement on battery life.
Thanks for hints... If I ever hav another go at getting H850 to work, I'll try to look into this.

May I ask, as a non-expert: how on earth did you identify NFC as the problem? What's the process for debugging "random" Android crashes??

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Thanks for hints... If I ever hav another go at getting H850 to work, I'll try to look into this.

May I ask, as a non-expert: how on earth did you identify NFC as the problem? What's the process for debugging "random" Android crashes??
I'm trying to remember how I diagnosed. I know Better Battery Stats (BBS) was showing my NFC was keeping my phone awake because of many partial wakelocks during screen off. So I used the XPosed DeepSleep module to disable all wakelocks & alarms for "Nfc Service". After that the crashes stopped occurring and my battery life improved.

I've discovered that often crashes & poor battery life to hand-in-hand. If you can fix what's draining the battery you'll fix the crashes, too.

Madfrog22

May 26, 2022
i'm new to this... when i read the tutorial for flashing this rom, it requires android 7 firmware. i'm on android 8, how can i downgrade to android 7? give link to the tutorial if possible 😥

my phone is h830
no work has been done (root/custom recovery)

Madfrog22

May 26, 2022
Download firmware 20a and then use lgup program to downgrade
thank you sir...

also, when using LG UP, which mode should i use? refurbish? since i'm on oreo

would you kindly tell me where to download?

is this the right link? LG UP uses .kdz right? i only have to download the kdz file

also, what about anti rollback version?

Last edited:

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
i'm new to this... when i read the tutorial for flashing this rom, it requires android 7 firmware. i'm on android 8, how can i downgrade to android 7? give link to the tutorial if possible 😥

my phone is h830
no work has been done (root/custom recovery)
You might want to keep in mind that to install lineageos the phone needs to have an unlocked bootloader, and the lg g5 bootloader can no longer be unlocked.

Best wishes,
Bob

Reactions: Madfrog22

kejava

Aug 22, 2021
Philadelphia
T-Mobile LG G5
Hello everyone,
I’ve managed to go through the whole process of updating my LG G5 H830 by reading through many of these useful XDA forums. I switched over all of my family’s phones (4 of them) to use LOS 18.1. Initially, everything seemed fine but we each started noticing strange behavior. I’m hoping some of you might be able to help with this. Here are the two main issues:
  1. Random reboots
    Phone is sometimes warm when it happens. Usually happens right when we are about to run something, like starting an app or even a phone call. Seems to happen roughly 1 time each day. I can live with it but I’m concerned it’s due to overheating and it’s a thermal shutdown. I just read in this thread that NFC might be the cause of this. Will try disabling it for a bit.
  1. SMS/MMS texts stop working
    Can’t send or receive. Only way to fix it is to toggle Airplane mode, then messages will flood in. This one was hard to identify. When most of your family is using RCS messaging, SMS/MMS doesn’t get used. My wife first noticed it when waiting for an MFA text to her work’s VPN. This seems to only happen when we leave the house or work wifi and then come back to it. Like leave to do some grocery shopping, come home, and now SMS/MMS messages don’t come in.

Have any of you heard of this happening? If not with this phone, then perhaps others?
The second issue bugs me the most.

Here is my phone configuration:
  • LG G5 H830
  • Firmware H83020A (downgraded via Uppercut with H83020a_00_1107.kdz)
  • LineageOS 18.1 (May 18, 2022)
  • Recovery Image: TWRP [twrp-3.6.0_9-0-h830.img]
  • MindTheGapps 11 [MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210920_084011.zip]
  • Mobile service: Mint Mobile
  • Preferred network type setting:
    LTE / TDSCDMA / CDMA / EVDO / GSM / WCDMA

May 19, 2022
LG G8
thank you sir...

also, when using LG UP, which mode should i use? refurbish? since i'm on oreo

would you kindly tell me where to download?

is this the right link? LG UP uses .kdz right? i only have to download the kdz file

also, what about anti rollback version?
Download the version 20a kdz and then use lgup to go back to the version, it's super easy and the program does all the steps. Have you got the download link for version 20a yet?

May 19, 2022
LG G8
I'm not too familiar with the US H830 variant, but that one you should still be able to unlock?
He must've been referring to H850 that can't be unlocked now since LG closed their mobile division.
The h830 version is possible to unlock, but you need to go through "easyrecowvery", the step by step is available on xda, it's a little complicated at first but then it's easy to understand

kejava

Aug 22, 2021
Philadelphia
T-Mobile LG G5
The h830 version is possible to unlock, but you need to go through "easyrecowvery", the step by step is available on xda, it's a little complicated at first but then it's easy to understand

I went through this process recently with a bunch of my H830 models. For someone new to this, it can be a convoluted process. Many of the parts are scattered around in different sites/discussions.

@Madfrog22 reach out if you have trouble.

May 19, 2022
LG G8
I went through this process recently with a bunch of my H830 models. For someone new to this, it can be a convoluted process. Many of the parts are scattered around in different sites/discussions.

@Madfrog22 reach out if you have trouble.
I used the following tutorial. Because it's old, the images don't appear anymore, but the software download link is working and the written step by step really works. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ecowvery-h830-v20a-only-noobfriendly.3580264/

Reactions: Madfrog22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for the intrusion.
    I am going to buy a second-hand G5 with the idea to flash LOS.

What are issues of the lack of VoLTE?

With my actual phone (no VoLTE as well...) when I receive a call, it just switch to 2G... that is you can data on 4G, you can have phone call on 2G, you CAN'T have data WHEN calling.
    It is the same for this phone + LOS ?

(latest @kejava post is not clear... it implies you will not be able to call anymore at all...)

Make sure it's an h830 or it's already bootloader unlocked (if other variant). Otherwise, you'll not be able to unlock it.
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG G5

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG G5.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    I just checked my phone. I'm using 18.1 self built on 30 March, with no changes to audio. The phone is H850. I've gone from lineage 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18. I've never used stock on it.

1. Playing music or audio books over the speakers sounds fine (given the quality of the speakers). No crackling or distortion.

2. Recording with the Recorder produces an audio file that is on the low side with regard to volume, but no particular distortion.

3. Ditto for recording with Open Camera.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Thanks for all the hard work devs. Any chance/movement on the IR blaster or FM radio on the h850? Two of the reasons I bought this phone heh.
    FM may be fixed soon, IR I'm, really not sure whats up :/

Official now, I'm still using this device thanks to npjohnson, x86cpu and aleasto Well done :love:

Does anybody know what's the difference between the recovery downloadable here <https://download.lineageos.org/h850> and the official TWRP from here <https://eu.dl.twrp.me/h850/> or has anybody running/tested the first?
    I've used nothing but LineageOS recovery since the beginning of December.

TWRP has many more features, such as a shell and nanroid backup. Lineage recovery is (or was, last time I used TWRP) better integrated into the system. It allows automatic upgrade of an encrypted system.

Best wishes,
    Bob