[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG G5

Search This thread

kejava

Aug 22, 2021
Philadelphia
T-Mobile LG G5
I went through the process for the H830 and RS-988 models of the LG G5. The process for the H830 continues to work fine, it requires the Uppercut downgrade and then the dirtycow exploit. What's funny is my biggest obstacle was running Uppercut on Windows. I only have Linux at home. Luckily I had an old Win7 virtual machine lying around so worked through that. The RS-988 (and likely some of the other models) used special code from LG to unlock the bootloader. From what I can see and others are saying, that LG online service is no longer available.

As @EEngineer mentioned, no special code for the H830, but it is a process that you have to careully follow.

Reactions: EEngineer

kejava

Aug 22, 2021
Philadelphia
T-Mobile LG G5
<snip>
  1. Random reboots
    Phone is sometimes warm when it happens. Usually happens right when we are about to run something, like starting an app or even a phone call. Seems to happen roughly 1 time each day. I can live with it but I’m concerned it’s due to overheating and it’s a thermal shutdown. I just read in this thread that NFC might be the cause of this. Will try disabling it for a bit.
  2. SMS/MMS texts stop working
    Can’t send or receive. Only way to fix it is to toggle Airplane mode, then messages will flood in. This one was hard to identify. When most of your family is using RCS messaging, SMS/MMS doesn’t get used. My wife first noticed it when waiting for an MFA text to her work’s VPN. This seems to only happen when we leave the house or work wifi and then come back to it. Like leave to do some grocery shopping, come home, and now SMS/MMS messages don’t come in.
<snip>

Disabling NFC seems to have helped with my random reboots. Will try for a few more days to be sure though.

As for the SMS/MMS drop-out issue, I tried a different ROM (Lighthouse, very nice!) on a different H830 phone but with the same SIM. Got the same behavior :-( So anyway, could just be something in my settings that's bad with Mint Mobile. I've read about about "mobile data always active" in Developer Options causing some issues. I'm going to trying keeping that feature disabled and see if that helps in anyway. BTW, I didn't see this behavior my RS-988, just the H830.

UPDATE: Disabling "mobile data always active" worked with my phone but not my wife's. I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the duration that you're knocked off wifi. Such a strange issue.

Last edited:

kejava

Aug 22, 2021
Philadelphia
T-Mobile LG G5
I think I'm narrowing down my text issues to APN settings.
Anyone mind sharing their "Preferred Network Type" and APN settings with me for their H830? Or perhaps pointing out possible issues with my present settings with Mint Mobile?
Here are my settings:

Preferred network type:
LTE/TDSCDMA/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA

Name: Mint
APN: Wholesale
MMSC: http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN Type: default,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
MVNO Type: IMSI
MVNO Value: 310260x

These are my new experimental settings. I didn't have any MVNO values before but found these in a separate discussion. The MVNO Value matches the network that I connect so that's a good sign.

kejava

Aug 22, 2021
Philadelphia
T-Mobile LG G5
I think part of the problem that I'm seeing with my sms/mms and even voice dropping out it is the removal of 3G support from my area. I've read in this thread and others but it didn't really sink in (for me):
  1. 3G is going away. It's already started with AT&T and T-Mobile will be July 1, 2022
  2. 4G LTE is for data only
  3. VoLTE provides voice over LTE
  4. Don't have VoLTE? Then it switches to 3G (HSPA?) for voice but see item 1
  5. LOS on LG G5 doesn't support VoLTE and never will
  6. You can only make voice calls on the crappy old stock ROM (Android 8) b/c it supports VoLTE
I wanted to stick with LOS (and Lighthouse) but the problems I'm seeing seem like they might be related to this removal of 3G. If VoLTE is not supported in the ROMs, how will you make voice calls in the next few months? Aren't we on borrowed time here?

I just started flashing some of my back up LG G5s with the stock KDZ. I hate it but it seems like the safest thing to do.

I suspect many of you already know what I'm saying here. I'm posting it for those that don't ... or perhaps I've gotten some of this wrong and I need to be corrected. Please, feel free to correct me.

mattia.b89

Sep 22, 2010
Sorry for the intrusion.
I am going to buy a second-hand G5 with the idea to flash LOS.

What are issues of the lack of VoLTE?

With my actual phone (no VoLTE as well...) when I receive a call, it just switch to 2G... that is you can data on 4G, you can have phone call on 2G, you CAN'T have data WHEN calling.
It is the same for this phone + LOS ?

(latest @kejava post is not clear... it implies you will not be able to call anymore at all...)

bernardobas

Jan 1, 2016
Buenos Aires
Sorry for the intrusion.
I am going to buy a second-hand G5 with the idea to flash LOS.

What are issues of the lack of VoLTE?

With my actual phone (no VoLTE as well...) when I receive a call, it just switch to 2G... that is you can data on 4G, you can have phone call on 2G, you CAN'T have data WHEN calling.
It is the same for this phone + LOS ?

(latest @kejava post is not clear... it implies you will not be able to call anymore at all...)

Make sure it's an h830 or it's already bootloader unlocked (if other variant). Otherwise, you'll not be able to unlock it.

Reactions: Madfrog22

kejava

Aug 22, 2021
Philadelphia
T-Mobile LG G5

@mattia.b89 Hi! Sorry if I wasn't clear. I suppose that what I'm saying might depend on where you're located. Everything I've been reading is saying that 2G AND 3G are being phased out starting roughly in 2022 and should be gone by 2023. I suspect this is why my wife was having so much trouble with voice and text when she when into to the city (Philadelphia).

Recently, I switched all my LG G5 H830 phones over to LOS. They worked quite well at first but then we noticed issues recently when taking trips away from the home, e.g. drop out of SMS/MMS and voice. Toggling airplane seemed to work for SMS/MMS but not really voice.

Google for "2G 3G shutdown" and you might find that it impacts you immediately. I found these links kind of useful:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-m...-2g-3g-4g-lte-network-shut-down-date_id134159

https://www.digi.com/blog/post/2g-3g-4g-lte-network-shutdown-updates

The takeaway: networks are shutting down 2G and 3G, LOS doesn't support VoLTE on this phone.
Maybe there's more to this that I don't understand but it seems that LOS on this phone will cause significant problems for people, particularly if they need voice calls. Going forward, I'm starting to wonder if we can only put LOS on 5G phones. It seems that LOS supports VoLTE one some phones but it's hard to tell until to you read the forums or try it for yourself.

Sadly, I reverted my H830 to stock a few days back. Everything is working fine now and the wife is happy. If I want a phone with a removable battery, I might just have to switch to the PinePhone.

mattia.b89

Sep 22, 2010
@mattia.b89 Hi! Sorry if I wasn't clear. I suppose that what I'm saying might depend on where you're located. Everything I've been reading is saying that 2G AND 3G are being phased out starting roughly in 2022 and should be gone by 2023. I suspect this is why my wife was having so much trouble with voice and text when she when into to the city (Philadelphia).

Recently, I switched all my LG G5 H830 phones over to LOS. They worked quite well at first but then we noticed issues recently when taking trips away from the home, e.g. drop out of SMS/MMS and voice. Toggling airplane seemed to work for SMS/MMS but not really voice.

Google for "2G 3G shutdown" and you might find that it impacts you immediately. I found these links kind of useful:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-m...-2g-3g-4g-lte-network-shut-down-date_id134159

https://www.digi.com/blog/post/2g-3g-4g-lte-network-shutdown-updates

The takeaway: networks are shutting down 2G and 3G, LOS doesn't support VoLTE on this phone.
Maybe there's more to this that I don't understand but it seems that LOS on this phone will cause significant problems for people, particularly if they need voice calls. Going forward, I'm starting to wonder if we can only put LOS on 5G phones. It seems that LOS supports VoLTE one some phones but it's hard to tell until to you read the forums or try it for yourself.

Sadly, I reverted my H830 to stock a few days back. Everything is working fine now and the wife is happy. If I want a phone with a removable battery, I might just have to switch to the PinePhone.
Ok, I am in Italy: different situation.
Here, the phase out concerns about 3G only, not 2G.
[IT: https://www.punto-informatico.it/perche-disabilitare-2g-scelta-migliore/]
So I can stay safe for years.
Thanks @kejava

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
I called T-Mobile customer support last month. I explained that my LG G5 has LOS and that it does not support VoLTE. I was told my phone can still make calls using 4G and LTE so there would not be a problem.

I suggest that those of you using LOS should do the same instead of guessing - call Customer Support and tell them about your phone to make sure you can still make voice calls.

Ludoboii

Oct 12, 2015
HTC One (m7)
LG G5
What's the correct version of the firmware to install in order to have LineageOS 18.1 work properly? The installation instructions mention the firmware from the stock Android 7 ROM, however when looking at commits I found this one where they changed a value that seems related to the firmware from version 7 to 8, but I might have gotten the wrong impression. There's an older commit where they changed the same value from version 6 to 7.

tootandboom

Jul 29, 2021
LG G5
HTC 10
Just picked up another h850 and I'm getting the "Device not registered" error when looking for OTA updates. The phone is on Nougat with security patch Dec 1st 2016. The wiki indicates Android 7 with most up to date patches. Can anyone verify for me that this is conducive to proceed with the flashing/installation process?
Thanks in advance!

tootandboom

Jul 29, 2021
LG G5
HTC 10
Just picked up another h850 and I'm getting the "Device not registered" error when looking for OTA updates. The phone is on Nougat with security patch Dec 1st 2016. The wiki indicates Android 7 with most up to date patches. Can anyone verify for me that this is conducive to proceed with the flashing/installation process?
Thanks in advance!
Disregard, it's been so long that I hadn't gotten quite caught up on all the changes ( i.e. LG site gone etc.). Apologies for wasted question.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG G5

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG G5.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    I just checked my phone. I'm using 18.1 self built on 30 March, with no changes to audio. The phone is H850. I've gone from lineage 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18. I've never used stock on it.

1. Playing music or audio books over the speakers sounds fine (given the quality of the speakers). No crackling or distortion.

2. Recording with the Recorder produces an audio file that is on the low side with regard to volume, but no particular distortion.

3. Ditto for recording with Open Camera.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Thanks for all the hard work devs. Any chance/movement on the IR blaster or FM radio on the h850? Two of the reasons I bought this phone heh.
    FM may be fixed soon, IR I'm, really not sure whats up :/

Official now, I'm still using this device thanks to npjohnson, x86cpu and aleasto Well done :love:

Does anybody know what's the difference between the recovery downloadable here <https://download.lineageos.org/h850> and the official TWRP from here <https://eu.dl.twrp.me/h850/> or has anybody running/tested the first?
    I've used nothing but LineageOS recovery since the beginning of December.

TWRP has many more features, such as a shell and nanroid backup. Lineage recovery is (or was, last time I used TWRP) better integrated into the system. It allows automatic upgrade of an encrypted system.

Best wishes,
    Bob