[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG G5

Search This thread
Nov 29, 2020
Satellite GPS works fine on my 17.1, will flash 18.1 on my spare G5 to see if it's as broken as you say

EDIT: I can't get satellite GPS to work on the last 17.1 build or latest 18.1, my daily G5 has 20201125 17.1 which works fine. Both phones are H830

Last edited:
Reactions: [email protected]@

[email protected]@

Sep 26, 2013
Satellite GPS works fine on my 17.1, will flash 18.1 on my spare G5 to see if it's as broken as you say

EDIT: I can't get satellite GPS to work on the last 17.1 build or latest 18.1, my daily G5 has 20201125 17.1 which works fine. Both phones are H830
Thank you for testing. I hope devs will fix this soon. Havoc does not have satellites either.

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
I have a self build from Sunday, after the 5 April security update. GPS tracks satellites, and gets a fix using them.

However, my impression is that stronger satellite signals are now needed to get a fix.

Best wishes,
Bob

Last edited:

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
Does anybody know what's the difference between the recovery downloadable here <https://download.lineageos.org/h850> and the official TWRP from here <https://eu.dl.twrp.me/h850/> or has anybody running/tested the first?
I've used nothing but LineageOS recovery since the beginning of December.

TWRP has many more features, such as a shell and nanroid backup. Lineage recovery is (or was, last time I used TWRP) better integrated into the system. It allows automatic upgrade of an encrypted system.

Best wishes,
Bob

rfrazier

Apr 29, 2012
Oxford
www.rlfrazier.org
@rfrazier so as I see the necessity of backing up I'll stick to TWRP.
My system isn't encrypted anyhow and I don't like automatic updates either.
Need to check comments prior to that as this is my main device.
Good points. I misspoke. Lineage OS doesn't have a fully automatic update. It is more of semi-automatic one. It sends a notification that one is available. Then you have to download it (button in the notification). Then after it is downloaded, you have to install it (button in the notification). In "settings -> system - advanced -> updater" there is an option (top right, three dots thingie) to see the changelog for the next release for your phone model. That might be useful even if if you don't use Lineage recovery.

I use a local OTA server, so my notifications come from it. I once got a LG5 for spare (pretty inexpensive) when I thought I had bricked mine. However, I got the original back working, and use the spare to test major changes, e.g., seeing if the new Lineage seedvault backup works. (The answer is reasonable well, but perfectly.)

Best wishes,
Bob

etmatrix

• Jan 6, 2015
    Any chance of getting FM radio to work?
    I think no. Maybe one day someone will try.

IR port doesn't work. After the first command, the infrared is stucked. On LOS 17.1 after a reboot works again, but with LOS 18.1 yeasterday I had to remove the battery.

For mic gain I see issue only on videorecording. With Open Camera I switched source audio to default and works. I patched Gcam to use the default audio and now videorecording has good audio.

Reactions: djskribbles

djskribbles

Feb 25, 2011

IR port doesn't work. After the first command, the infrared is stucked. On LOS 17.1 after a reboot works again, but with LOS 18.1 yeasterday I had to remove the battery.

For mic gain I see issue only on videorecording. With Open Camera I switched source audio to default and works. I patched Gcam to use the default audio and now videorecording has good audio.
    Something is causing 18.1 to have the low mic gain bug in video recording that 17.1 (at least for me) doesn't have. Is this perhaps why? It's using a different audio source? This is probably the only reason that I'm sticking with 17.1.

Apr 20, 2021
    Hello.
    I'm new to this whole custom ROMing. As new as one can get, so please go easy on me.
    My G5 is numbered AS992, or more specifically, LGAS99220a. I got this from "About phone->Software version". Since this guide offers support only for H830, 840 and rs998, should I forget about flashing LOS on my set? I just want to mess around with LOS as this is my spare phone I rarely use. If I can get dark mode on this in the process, it'll be gold, but I won't lose sleep over bricking it. That said, I'd still not take the risk knowing this method/ROM is certain to not work on my variant.
    Thanks in advance.

etmatrix

• Jan 6, 2015
    that 17.1 (at least for me) doesn't have. Is this perhaps why? It's using a different audio source?
    This is very strange, from 17.1 to 18.1 this issue is not changed for me, I have H850 and there is also this issue opened from another user with H850. This issue is not alone because there is also this different smartphone but same mixer file and same problem, no changes from 17.1 to 18.1
    Audio source for video recording is for default CAMCORDER (0x05) it's the same for all app. Some app let you to choose, but some app as GCam and default LOS Camera don't let you to select a different source.
    Apart from that, I think LOS 18.1 is better than 17.1, android 11 has some interesting improvements respect to 10.
    We can set wifi to manual connection, I don''t like automatic connection of wifi. I see a little improvement in battery drain.

djskribbles

Feb 25, 2011
    This is very strange, from 17.1 to 18.1 this issue is not changed for me, I have H850 and there is also this issue opened from another user with H850. This issue is not alone because there is also this different smartphone but same mixer file and same problem, no changes from 17.1 to 18.1
    Audio source for video recording is for default CAMCORDER (0x05) it's the same for all app. Some app let you to choose, but some app as GCam and default LOS Camera don't let you to select a different source.
    Apart from that, I think LOS 18.1 is better than 17.1, android 11 has some interesting improvements respect to 10.
    We can set wifi to manual connection, I don''t like automatic connection of wifi. I see a little improvement in battery drain.
    Strange indeed. Low mic gain in video recording is the only issue I have with 18.1. I've gone back and forth between 17.1 and 18/18.1 like 4 times now and the issue is replicated every time. Every time I did a clean flash fwiw. I can barely hear the audio in video recordings in 18.1, so it's not like it's a small difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Any chance of getting FM radio to work?

Did.
      Tried the from LOS18.1 extracted .apk but H850 didn't let me install it.
      I'll take a look.
      Hello.
      I'm new to this whole custom ROMing. As new as one can get, so please go easy on me.
      My G5 is numbered AS992, or more specifically, LGAS99220a. I got this from "About phone->Software version". Since this guide offers support only for H830, 840 and rs998, should I forget about flashing LOS on my set? I just want to mess around with LOS as this is my spare phone I rarely use. If I can get dark mode on this in the process, it'll be gold, but I won't lose sleep over bricking it. That said, I'd still not take the risk knowing this method/ROM is certain to not work on my variant.
      Thanks in advance.
      I guess nobody will give a guarantee that it won't be bricked.
      A bit of research gave me the impression that yours is a subversion of H850 specially made for Sprint and running on stock firmware 20a which is Nougat. Afaik it only differs in frequencies used on 3+4G.
      Isn't there a 30a for you available to update first to?
      And you can at least get the unlock code before LG stops any support for phones.
      Thanks a lot! :)
      I'll try to get the codes asap. Unfortunately, it seems my variant never got the Oreo update, typical LG. Update checker says I'm already on the latest firmware. I think I'll take the risk and flash away, at a later date. If it bricks it's just $50 down the drain. I'll update no matter the outcome.
      I doubt it will brick but probably just refuse getting the ROM flashed.
      Nevertheless download stock ROM in advance.
      As it will do a factory reset after unlocking save your stuff before.
      SAVE EFS and everything else possible to SD via TWRP directly after flashing it before you proceed.
      Hello.
      Thanks in advance.
      run adb shell getprop and give me your output, I'll tell you if your compatible.
      lineage-os-logo.png

LG G5

Code:
      - Your warranty is now void.
      - You have been warned.
      - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
      This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG G5.

Downloads:
      Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
      If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
      • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
      • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
      Notes:
      • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
      Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
      Does anybody know what's the difference between the recovery downloadable here <https://download.lineageos.org/h850> and the official TWRP from here <https://eu.dl.twrp.me/h850/> or has anybody running/tested the first?
      I've used nothing but LineageOS recovery since the beginning of December.

TWRP has many more features, such as a shell and nanroid backup. Lineage recovery is (or was, last time I used TWRP) better integrated into the system. It allows automatic upgrade of an encrypted system.

Best wishes,
      Bob
      If you're phone is misbehaving and you never did Stock updates, I highly recommend doing a full wipe/format and flashing the latest Autoprime's COMPLETE flashable stock packages for your G5 via TWRP (whichever specific model you have)

I've experienced odd issues when using custom ROMs on the G5 that were fixed once doing so. Those full updates made an update to something important to whichever partition (boot, modem, who knows) that later Lineage builds are based off of.
      I just checked my phone. I'm using 18.1 self built on 30 March, with no changes to audio. The phone is H850. I've gone from lineage 14 -> 15 -> 16 -> 17 -> 18. I've never used stock on it.

1. Playing music or audio books over the speakers sounds fine (given the quality of the speakers). No crackling or distortion.

2. Recording with the Recorder produces an audio file that is on the low side with regard to volume, but no particular distortion.

3. Ditto for recording with Open Camera.

Best wishes,
      Bob
      First of all THANK YOU to npjohnson, x86cpu, aleasto and team for keeping the G5s alive!

Avast Antivirus 2021 tells me there is malware in the sms/mms app. I cleared everything, formatted the internal drive and reinstalled lineage-18.1-20210502-nightly-h850-signed.zip. Then I installed nothing but Avast Antivirus. It still tells me there is malware in the sms/mms app. I tried several other scanner which did not detect malware. I believe this is false alarm, but could anybody check this, pease?
      Antivirus for Android is really and genuinely useless. Beyond scanning /sdcard for files with known malicious patterns, it really doesn't do anything of use.

But yeah, defs a false alarm.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone