• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Search This thread

Cryovenom

Dec 5, 2020
I had a practice run with H910 before and I am very experienced with various Android flashing since Donuts days. I will skip the commands and details since it's something you need to know.

I kept a full backup (minus User data) with patched LGUp before everything

I did not touch the aboot, thus I get the corruption message. If someone has a solution for that, I will take it but not a deal breaker.

I used this guide as reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...sing-dirtysanta-h915-working-signals.3763981/

Which part you run into issue?

Step 1 - 3 are correct
Step 4 - Download and copy the latest v3.5.1.9 TWRP US996 into the device, flash within TWRP w/ Install Image option as Recovery. Reboot Recovery
Step 5 - in TWRP, Format Data and Advanced Wipe System, Dalvik and Cache
Step 6 - Sideload or copy/install Lineage 18.1 H910, I added NikGapps Core and Magisk
Step 7 - Download and copy the Freedom Modem IMG and use Install Image option in TWRP as Modem. (this only needs to be done once)
Step 8 - Restart to System

I am able to get my Fido data SIM working immediately since LOS has the APN already.

If you have Fastboot and TWRP installed, your Bootloader is unlocked. The most confusing part of the guide is the multiple command line windows during the flash of aboot. I tried twice to get the sequence right.

If you need to setup V20 as DAP, this is the mod guide. https://audiodigitale.eu/?p=297

@killer23d you are a gentleman and a scholar! This was exactly what I needed to fix my process! I never would have thought to flash new TWRP from old TWRP, and I wasn't wiping System partition before.

@npjohnson I can confirm that I've loaded the H910 Lineage build on two different H915s and everything works. Getting good speed with LTE, calling works, Wifi, Bluetooth, the works! Think we can have a build that identifies itself as H915?

The process is finicky but totally do-able once you've done it a few times. I don't know what Lineage's process is for their Wiki articles on how to load the OS, but I can write a detailed thread on how to load it onto an H915 (including unlocking the bootloader and whatnot) if you want to link to one that's recent (so the download links aren't broken or buried 30pgs deep). Anyone know any good long-term file hosts?

Jon

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@killer23d you are a gentleman and a scholar! This was exactly what I needed to fix my process! I never would have thought to flash new TWRP from old TWRP, and I wasn't wiping System partition before.

@npjohnson I can confirm that I've loaded the H910 Lineage build on two different H915s and everything works. Getting good speed with LTE, calling works, Wifi, Bluetooth, the works! Think we can have a build that identifies itself as H915?

The process is finicky but totally do-able once you've done it a few times. I don't know what Lineage's process is for their Wiki articles on how to load the OS, but I can write a detailed thread on how to load it onto an H915 (including unlocking the bootloader and whatnot) if you want to link to one that's recent (so the download links aren't broken or buried 30pgs deep). Anyone know any good long-term file hosts?

Jon
No. If you have to convert to us996, it isn't h915 anymore ;p

If someone wants to get a lineage build running on h915 firmware (don't think it's possible due to lack of bootloader unlock on h915 without converting) - then we can.

I'm down to link the instructions in this thread if someone puts them together!

killer23d

Jan 5, 2008
Vancouver
No. If you have to convert to us996, it isn't h915 anymore ;p

If someone wants to get a lineage build running on h915 firmware (don't think it's possible due to lack of bootloader unlock on h915 without converting) - then we can.

I'm down to link the instructions in this thread if someone puts them together!

Technically this is a frankenstein build with H910 ROM and H915 modem. Basically the instructions of the wiki must include cross-flashing and such

TBH I don't care what this is identified as, it doesn't make a difference since TWRP would just ignore the device ID and flash away.

killer23d

Jan 5, 2008
Vancouver
I noticed the DAC would change to 16bit from 24bit if I let the phone sit idle for hours or days. It can be easily fixed by doing a shutdown and it will be back.

I will need more observation.

killer23d

Jan 5, 2008
Vancouver

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
I have freshly installed the lineage-18.1-20210617-nightly-us996-signed.zip official build of LineageOS 18.1 on my LG V20 US996 after coming from stock Android Oreo.

I am having a problems with System UI hanging when either:
  • A wrong password is used to authenticate a WiFi connection; this is when connection to a WPA2-PSK style access point.
  • An access point that presents a captive portal is connected to. After passing the captive portal authentication, System UI hangs. EDIT: Passing captive portal authentication is not really necessary.
Upon reboot (best use adb daemon for this), the System UI typically hangs again after a short while if WiFi is left on. To workaround the issue, the network information for the particular saved networks should be purged (forget). This is easier to do if one first turns off WiFi.

Other than these (somewhat severe) issues, the networking appears to work.

@npjohnson - Please look into this issue or let me know what may be done about the issue.

Last edited:

SeongGino

Mar 21, 2012
Jersey City
Not sure if it's just me, but I'm noticing the WiFi seems to shut itself off after a certain amount of time - inactive or otherwise; I just had it turn itself off while in the middle of streaming video.
Also having issues with Bluetooth, specifically my Pebble Time is disconnecting after some screen off time, and it's unable to reconnect like it should unless I toggle the BT off/on. Said smartwatch works and reconnects as it should on my primary A10 phone.

Using H918, June 10th nightly over top a former Nougat 10P installation.

28charro

Dec 4, 2018
I have LG VS995 verizon i installed lineage-18.1-20210622-nightly-vs995-signed, everything seems to be working allright but phone calls,i can call, but i can barely get phone calls,and if my phone rings it would be after 5 or 6 calling tones on the calling phone,i made no mods stock only,no magisk or anything else.
Anyone else is having the same problem?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I have freshly installed the lineage-18.1-20210617-nightly-us996-signed.zip official build of LineageOS 18.1 on my LG V20 US996 after coming from stock Android Oreo.

I am having a problems with System UI hanging when either:
  • A wrong password is used to authenticate a WiFi connection; this is when connection to a WPA2-PSK style access point.
  • An access point that presents a captive portal is connected to. After passing the captive portal authentication, System UI hangs.
Upon reboot (best use adb daemon for this), the System UI typically hangs again after a short while if WiFi is left on. To workaround the issue, the network information for the particular saved networks should be purged (forget). This is easier to do if one first turns off WiFi.

Other than these (somewhat severe) issues, the networking appears to work.

@npjohnson - Please look into this issue or let me know what may be done about the issue.
Log like the wiki details pls. The logs will help debug it.

Top Liked Posts

On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Yeah, considering h910/h918 are near identical, makes sense that they both suffer.

By your own statement, you're an engineer, and should be able to discern based on the info you gave me that it is _not_ an issue with the "Snap Camera apk", instead that we are using compressed audio path, and clearly it isn't processing right (likely a codec issue like I mentioned several posts ago). We could swap it to unprocessed mic input, but that will be garbled and awful - only using that as a last resort as opposed to actually fixing the compressed audio route.

As for the insults launched - k, stop using lineage then. I literally have not a care in the world whether you use it. I'm doing hard work for free, which, as an engineer, you should understand is often thankless, and your naggy/attacking comments only make me want to never touch the device again :)

I'll be looking at it sometime this week, but for everyone else on this thread who has been kind and supportive lol.
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

Maybe you should go back to stock? You do realize we do this for free and on our own time? If there are any issues we try to fix them ASAP but with your comments I doubt @npjohnson is going to want to support the device anymore. If there is any issue I would recommend reporting it in a less-hostile way and it might be a simple fix rather than insulting the primary dev for LOS on the device who may now not want to support the device anymore...

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

So, my girlfriend is at home, asked her to try it - and surprise surprise, Snap Camera's video recorded audio works just fine lol. Front and rear camera.

I did pick the patchset we merged on g5-common though afterwards, and merged it - it sounds to loud to me tbh, but enough people seem to like it better, lets go with it.

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

Yeah, considering h910/h918 are near identical, makes sense that they both suffer.

By your own statement, you're an engineer, and should be able to discern based on the info you gave me that it is _not_ an issue with the "Snap Camera apk", instead that we are using compressed audio path, and clearly it isn't processing right (likely a codec issue like I mentioned several posts ago). We could swap it to unprocessed mic input, but that will be garbled and awful - only using that as a last resort as opposed to actually fixing the compressed audio route.

As for the insults launched - k, stop using lineage then. I literally have not a care in the world whether you use it. I'm doing hard work for free, which, as an engineer, you should understand is often thankless, and your naggy/attacking comments only make me want to never touch the device again :)

I'll be looking at it sometime this week, but for everyone else on this thread who has been kind and supportive lol.

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

Maybe you should go back to stock? You do realize we do this for free and on our own time? If there are any issues we try to fix them ASAP but with your comments I doubt @npjohnson is going to want to support the device anymore. If there is any issue I would recommend reporting it in a less-hostile way and it might be a simple fix rather than insulting the primary dev for LOS on the device who may now not want to support the device anymore...

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

So, my girlfriend is at home, asked her to try it - and surprise surprise, Snap Camera's video recorded audio works just fine lol. Front and rear camera.

I did pick the patchset we merged on g5-common though afterwards, and merged it - it sounds to loud to me tbh, but enough people seem to like it better, lets go with it.
    Hello guys, for anyone interested in my LOS 18.1 story. Firstly, I was able to restore my modem performance by flashing latest stable gamma kernel.
    You can find it here on Telegram channel - LG V20 Kernel AOSP lybxlpsv

SO I have been having issues with very low volume of voice messages in Telegram and WhatsApp. As has been said LOS is not using the full potential of LG's V20 triple mic set-up. So the issue is certainly with the Tasha audio files. I thought by flashing files provided by Omar the issue will be resolved. But it did not. So I spent a whole weekend understanding how android and LG hardware work together.

I would like to reference this post for DAC refers engineering as I was using it for understanding how the DAC works with android.

By changing the Tasha file I was able to achieve the result but in the zip file attached I have added additional files which I took from stock LG rooted Oreo software

PLEASE let me know if it works for you and have a great working week.
    When having heavy write load on my extsd (exfat), with for example the backup function of singal messenger app (its 1.5 gb big), the phone restarts and the filesystem of the card is corrupted and needs an repair.

This happens with all sdcards i have. When i flash the latest gamma kernel, this problem dissapears.
    I tried this several times vice versa. i would rather not use gamma but atm, this solves my problem.

I use H918. Somebody else noticed this?
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

Спасибо за новую версию ОС Android Linegae!
    В настоящее время я использую Lineage OS 17.1, нужно ли мне вернуться к стандартной прошивке LG перед прошивкой этого ПЗУ?
    Нет. Но нужно удалить гаппсы 17.1. Протрите систему.

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson