• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Search This thread
lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
- Your warranty is now void.
- You have been warned.
- Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
  • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
  • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
Notes:
  • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996

lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
- You have been warned.
- Use at your own risk.

Introduction:

Downloads:
Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
  • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
Notes:
  • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
There's a problem. My fingerprint recognition doesn't work.
Brush back to the original system can be used.

itt533

Nov 12, 2020
chennai
I'm surprised that it is not what LOS devs were doing already. I thought that support for the IR blaster wasn't included in LOS because it is reverse engineered and not well working. I've indeed read that the blaster works one time and hangs during some time afterwards.
As for me I've never dug into linux-android kernel sources, I can try locating the files for IR support but it sounds too simple thus i'm not sure that's really what you want.

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5
@npjohnson I will be looking into the issue with IR. If I find a solution I'll share it.
I'm working on kernel for custom rom now, here is repo: mk2000-custom

Is AP/HotSpot working on stock lineage kernel? It wasn't on my kernel at first. If you see the latest commits in my git,
there are fixes to quite a lot of issues with the bcmdhd driver (from nvidia engineers). I should mention I'm using newer
driver from latest LG sources, so it's a bit more updated even without the nvidia patches.

A G5 dev has tested my kernel and got approx 1,5 h extra SOT doing youtube playback test, from 5 1/2 to 7 hours.

Is it ok by you if I post a few beta builds here? I don't want to maintain a separate thread for this, I don't even have a V20.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
@npjohnson I will be looking into the issue with IR. If I find a solution I'll share it.
I'm working on kernel for custom rom now, here is repo: mk2000-custom

Is AP/HotSpot working on stock lineage kernel? It wasn't on my kernel at first. If you see the latest commits in my git,
there are fixes to quite a lot of issues with the bcmdhd driver (from nvidia engineers). I should mention I'm using newer
driver from latest LG sources, so it's a bit more updated even without the nvidia patches.

A G5 dev has tested my kernel and got approx 1,5 h extra SOT doing youtube playback test, from 5 1/2 to 7 hours.

Is it ok by you if I post a few beta builds here? I don't want to maintain a separate thread for this, I don't even have a V20.
hotspot works fine, and no - please don't - it complicates getting logs from people to have mods like that in the thread - it's own thread would be more appropriate.

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5
hotspot works fine, and no - please don't - it complicates getting logs from people to have mods like that in the thread - it's own thread would be more appropriate.

Ok. My previous thread here is closed so that's why I asked.
Do you get a "HotSpot" icon in the quick settings? If not then is because of a problem with the kernel driver, which there is a fix for:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Ok. My previous thread here is closed so that's why I asked.
Do you get a "HotSpot" icon in the quick settings? If not then is because of a problem with the kernel driver, which there is a fix for:
I do get the tile.

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5

Uh I see. I got the wrong impression because that icon just popped up in my rom after applying some fixes to kernel.
I got panic while enabling AP at first. The reason is either because I'm using new compiler vs gcc4.9 or that some other parts is updated (I'm on 3.18.140).
In any case one of those patches from nvidia addressed the problem exactly.

Electrolite_XYZ

Feb 6, 2018
test

interesting. i didn't know it works like that. is that how the lg v20 stock rom worked? i always found the sound quality to be subpar when the option was off in stock or lineage. i thought the toggle is actually for the dac/amp combo. i use pretty good iems too (moondrop blessing 2, jh13v2).

Sorry for the late reply.

On the stock rom it detected the impedance of the headphone and then turned the amplifier on or off (high-impedance mode), there was no stock way to force the amplifier. The toggle was for the Quad-Dac only.

I'm not sure how it works on Lineage, if it's using the Quad-Dac at all times and the toggles only forces the amplifier or if the toggles turn both the amp and the DAC on.

Last edited:

mehsme

Jun 16, 2020
Having issues with VS995 (Verizon) with connecting & staying on LTE networks with the default APN settings.
When my "preferred network type" is set to the default (LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA), it only connects to 3G.
When set to "LTE", it connects to the 4G/LTE network just fine, BUT, my mobile connection (phonecalls/texts etc. ) stops working.

Tried resetting APN settings, re-seating the SIM card, etc., but I seem to forever be stuck with a slower network speed.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues, or if anyone has any tips on resolution.
New SIM solved this for me. Carry on & keep up the great work ya'll.

Aethera

Feb 18, 2012
Bay Area
Looks like the reboot problem is solved. I changed the SIM card and the current SIM card is also activated and have not had and reboot issues. Has anyone ever experienced an issue with phone rebooting due to a bad SIM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    how do you switch the 2 cameras in Open Camera?
    there is a small button on the top right corner of the main shutter button
    i am attempting to build on a debian 11 machine with 32GB of memory, Threadripper 1950x, Linux 5.14.
    adding -j 1 to repo sync changes the error to

fatal: missing blob object '556a1d6d9a8b7e78201c41b353020202da431890'
    error: remote did not send all necessary objects
    error: Cannot fetch platform/prebuilts/misc from https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/misc
    Fetching: 68% (582/855) platform/external/google-fonts/dancing-scriptfatal: missing blob object '556a1d6d9a8b7e78201c41b353020202da431890'
    error: remote did not send all necessary objects

is there a way i can make the github website create me a massive .zip file i can download with my web browser?
    guide works fine - the accusatory tone won't get you anywhere.

Delete the build tree, check your internet connection, and restart the guide.

Those errors mean you've been rate limited by google's site for some reason, and the latter one means the .git folder of that repo is corrupted. Like I said, just restart.
    ok i flashed another h910 and h990

once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy

for h910, check out this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-howto-at-t-h910-up-to-v20g-fully-tested.3664500/
    for h990, check out this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-dirtysanta-comes-for-the-h990.3624296/

basically the process is pretty much the same. use patched lgup to backup full firmware. downgrade firmware which has vulnerability. use dirtysanta to flash engineer bootloader. wipe. update twrp. flash los + mindthegapps.
    That's great! Glad to see there are still a few people interested in messing with those devices, they can be used as almost anything thanks to the extensive feature set they have.
    im from g5, which i cannot find a new battery when the old one is gone. but v20 battery still available, i'm so glad the dev is making this work. the v20 i got was like [email protected] which is a bargain imo and i love the flexibility los give u

THANK YOU DEV!!!
    a silly question, which app in store can utilize all 3 cameras on v20?
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:

Downloads:

Known Bugs:
    Notes:
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Yeah, considering h910/h918 are near identical, makes sense that they both suffer.

By your own statement, you're an engineer, and should be able to discern based on the info you gave me that it is _not_ an issue with the "Snap Camera apk", instead that we are using compressed audio path, and clearly it isn't processing right (likely a codec issue like I mentioned several posts ago). We could swap it to unprocessed mic input, but that will be garbled and awful - only using that as a last resort as opposed to actually fixing the compressed audio route.

As for the insults launched - k, stop using lineage then. I literally have not a care in the world whether you use it. I'm doing hard work for free, which, as an engineer, you should understand is often thankless, and your naggy/attacking comments only make me want to never touch the device again :)

I'll be looking at it sometime this week, but for everyone else on this thread who has been kind and supportive lol.
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

Maybe you should go back to stock? You do realize we do this for free and on our own time? If there are any issues we try to fix them ASAP but with your comments I doubt @npjohnson is going to want to support the device anymore. If there is any issue I would recommend reporting it in a less-hostile way and it might be a simple fix rather than insulting the primary dev for LOS on the device who may now not want to support the device anymore...
    Moderator Announcement

Thread slightly cleaned!

This is a development site and people contribute work as a fun hobby, NOT A JOB! They don't owe you anything but you owe the developers respect!
    If a ROM does not work for you, what did you do to contribute? Did you clean flash? More important, did you run a log of errors to help the developer? Just remember what you would expect in your profession. Or were you just too lazy to help and prefer to leech and complain?
    This world will only get better if we all learn to give instead of always taking! Please do not comment on rude posts, please report and a moderator will help.
    Thank you all for your cooperation.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

So, my girlfriend is at home, asked her to try it - and surprise surprise, Snap Camera's video recorded audio works just fine lol. Front and rear camera.

I did pick the patchset we merged on g5-common though afterwards, and merged it - it sounds to loud to me tbh, but enough people seem to like it better, lets go with it.