• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Search This thread

aCIDsLAM

Feb 7, 2015
I have not. Is this possible to do without messing up root/TWRP on the H918?

No need to go to stock on h918

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I used zip so as to reflash and keep twrp. I could have also flashed version 20g or 20h. So far perfect operation. Very happy.

Possible problems with LOS may have been caused by flashing us996 rom and then install LOS.

I have another phone that is and has h910 rom and then flashed LOS on it but have not tested speakerphone yet on that phone.

In any case the us996 stock is perfect. If I get to a point where apks require higher than android 8 then I will spend more time trying LOS again.

I have a good feeling that LOS may require some specific vendor and specific modem files that if you dont have them you got more problems.

Then there is the issue of VoLTE. I am told by everyone that no custom Rom has VoLTE working. Cell towers are mandating VoLTE by next year.

LOS should package/include ALL needed files like a KDZ file has. EVERYTHING ! It does not. Thats frustrating.
You volunteering to do that then? You are aware how hard validation of firmware per variant (h910 for example has various different firmwares based on region), making sure it doesn't mess up persist/efs status and permissions for the literal crap-load of installation cases we could see?

Lets do some quick math: 9 supported variants, with at least 4 others that people actively "rebrand" from us996.

Lets assume (some don't, I'm aware, but most do) at least 4 regions with differing firmware per device, and cross flashing firmware not at all guaranteed to be safe - nor something most people will want.

36 possible cases already, and to go further, be cause people "rebrand" - its not at all trivial to discern what firmware we should actually even flash on those devices.

Including all the files need is just _not_ feasible.
So after doing a clean install of LOS18 (as well as OpenGapps and Magisk) while updating my H918, I've run into some issues.

- Fingerprint sensor not recognized; phone setup doesn't even go to fingerprint setup.
- Camera not working.
- Flashlight not working; saying camera in use.
- SIM card not recognized.

I'm guessing that I will likely have to go back to stock and reinstall, but I'm not even sure what anti-rollback or version to look for? It's been a few years, so it's totally slipped my mind at this point. If anyone could give me a little guidance on where to go from here, that would be super duper appreciated. Being stuck on this janky Blu R1 HD is killing me. lol
You started from Oreo firmware, start from nougat and all will work from that list.
Is vulkan still broken in the latest rom?
Shouldn't be? Let me know if it is, I can look into it.

Rom1995

Jul 5, 2012
You volunteering to do that then? You are aware how hard validation of firmware per variant (h910 for example has various different firmwares based on region), making sure it doesn't mess up persist/efs status and permissions for the literal crap-load of installation cases we could see?

Lets do some quick math: 9 supported variants, with at least 4 others that people actively "rebrand" from us996.

Lets assume (some don't, I'm aware, but most do) at least 4 regions with differing firmware per device, and cross flashing firmware not at all guaranteed to be safe - nor something most people will want.

36 possible cases already, and to go further, be cause people "rebrand" - its not at all trivial to discern what firmware we should actually even flash on those devices.

Including all the files need is just _not_ feasible.

You started from Oreo firmware, start from nougat and all will work from that list.

Shouldn't be? Let me know if it is, I can look into it.
Mine still show as not available
Screenshot_20211027-024949_OpenGL_Extensions_Viewer.png

A.Whit

Jul 11, 2021

You volunteering to do that then?

If I were the Dev for lets say h910, I would include everything for LOS H910. Recovery, Baseband, Kernal, LAF, Vendor, the whole package. And I would provide a list what does not work and what does not work well. Thats what a top professional expert engineer does.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
If I were the Dev for lets say h910, I would include everything for LOS H910. Recovery, Baseband, Kernal, LAF, Vendor, the whole package. And I would provide a list what does not work and what does not work well. Thats what a top professional expert engineer does.
Again, you don't account for carrier versions of firmware/baseband, LAF exploits some models need, the fact that all firmware (minus modem) has to match to prevent watchdog panics.

We can't include recovery in the ZIP as per charter requirements - I would if I could. But that would eliminate user choice for TWRP as well which would set fir for the masses.

It. Isn't. Feasible.

Cool - you're right, that's what OEMs do - we're not an OEM - and I can't state this to you enough, we're a hobbyist group. I do this in my free time.

Aug 21, 2014
Dirty flashing it will likely cause issues. A system, data and cache wipe is definitely recommended before flashing LOS 18.1 over other roms and/or android versions. When they recommended to go back to stock nougat, they usually mean a full KDZ flash, since flashing only the stock rom zip will not affect the firmware, modem and recovery, when the first two are generally the culprits of problems related to SIM Card and Fingerprint. And yes, you will unfortunately lose TWRP if you go that route, its not the most efficient way of "maybe" solving your problem, but it is the surest one to.

But its just my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt since i have a different device and didn't face the same problem, so i can't detail the exact steps you need to take.
Darn, well... Looks like I'll have to download the KDZ and start from scratch then; It's not the way I wanted to spend my rainy Thursday evening, but at least I should hopefully have a decent phone again by the end of it.

Quick question: I'm not 100% sure, but I think "download mode" was flashed over with TWRP, so would flashing the KDZ wide out that TWRP mode as well, since it's not technically the recovery drive?

I appreciate your guy's help, btw.

Aug 21, 2014

No need to go to stock on h918
Just saw this... So in order to fix my fingerprint/camera/SIM issue, which files would I need? I'm assuming modem, but anything else? And if I'm not sure which ARB I'm on, should I just do the most recent one, since I don't particularly plan on "rolling back" any time soon, and will likely get a new phone before that's an issue?

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
Darn, well... Looks like I'll have to download the KDZ and start from scratch then; It's not the way I wanted to spend my rainy Thursday evening, but at least I should hopefully have a decent phone again by the end of it.

Quick question: I'm not 100% sure, but I think "download mode" was flashed over with TWRP, so would flashing the KDZ wide out that TWRP mode as well, since it's not technically the recovery drive?

I appreciate your guy's help, btw.
Yes, the KDZ is the closest you can get to a 100% reset on the phone's internal eMMC and partitions. Everything will be wiped and restored to "factory default", so in a sense, it usually feels like you just took the phone out of the box again.

Just saw this... So in order to fix my fingerprint/camera/SIM issue, which files would I need? I'm assuming modem, but anything else? And if I'm not sure which ARB I'm on, should I just do the most recent one, since I don't particularly plan on "rolling back" any time soon, and will likely get a new phone before that's an issue?
The fingerprint and camera are commonly related to the firmware files (maybe supplied by the bootloader? My Redmi Note 4X had the firmware separate from the bootloader, but i don't know about the V20), while the SIM card has to do with the modem. As for the ARB, the post you linked has a disclaimer about what will happen if you flash an older bootloader than the one you currently have if it has ARB, so yes, the most recent one would be your safest bet. But even then, it seems @A.Whit has a similar device to yours, so you should ask for his input as he has more experience on that matter.

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
did you find anything about why the sound is too loud when the dac is on?
yea, the stock rom checks for the impedance of the device, if it's a high impedance device it will automatically adapt into high impedance mode, if it isn't then it will work as normal mode. lineage os doesn't have that baked in. apparently, it's not trivial work to re-implement it in lineage os.

xxseva44

Grow up. You want oem level support and stuff? Do it yourself. A.We're doing this as a side thing B. We aren't obligated to do this so your lucky you even have a custom rom to run and C. we have lives and other things to do.
Don't throw bs at Npj as he leads the development behind the V20 long after others left.

Arrxa

Dec 8, 2017
Is it safe to install LOS 18.1 over an unlocked stock Oero H918? I seen posts that say the best way is to downgrade to stock nougat but is there any bugs to wipe and install over stock oreo?

Aethera

Feb 18, 2012
Bay Area
So I tried looking for a flashable "stock" Nougat, but most of the nougat-based links seem to be dead now. I found an LOS14.1 link that worked. I flashed that, then dirty-flashed LOS18.1 over it... Still getting the same issues.

As soon as LOS started up, it gave my Google "start" screen and then popped up with "System UI not responding", then "System not responding." Rebooted itself, and getting through setup, it's still presenting all the same issues. SIM isn't recognized, fingerprint isn't setting up, etc.
Here is where I got H91810u.zip which AFAIK is the latest version of Nougat. Contrary to what others have written, this .zip does contain the modem. I personally don't recommend to anyone to install a KDZ after they have managed to install TWRP.

FYI here's a list of flashable repackaged ROM .zips which keep everything from the KDZ except recovery (so you can keep TWRP): [ROM] [H918] H91810q/r/s/t/u Stock ROM TWRP Flashable Zip KEEP ROOT!

Last edited:

Aethera

Feb 18, 2012
Bay Area
If you have nougat = android 7, and you have twrp, then you must already have an unlocked bootloader thus you get a yellow or orange or red warning message on boot.

That being the case, put the CORRECT LOS 18.1 ROM file on sdcard and mindtheGapps pico android 11 version if you want google play store, go into twrp and do a data format.

Then flash LOS and then the Gapps and reboot.

Make a twrp backup on sdcard before you start just in case.

REMOVE SIM CARD before you boot up LOS for the 1st time. After that if you get a kernal crash with SIM card in then you have the wrong nougat modem/baseband installed. This can be fixed but it means starting all over.

Read the instructions on LOS. It says what I say above but has less details on nougat version.
Do you know what is the version of the correct baseband?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sad to say that unfortunately due to persistent crashes I had to give up on LOS 18.1 on my h918. I started from scratch after flashing stock KDZ numerous times and no matter what LOS would start crashing. The most recent episode after the latest LOS update started occurring seemingly for no reason in the middle of the night when the phone just kept booting and crashing over and over. Wiping Dalvik/cache had no effect. I simply couldn't take it any more. I never experienced repeated crashes like this on stock.

I'm on rooted stock 20h now and it is very stable and it's nice to have wifi calling and a few other features also.

If anyone wants to know how I got to rooted 20h I first flashed 10p using LGUP, then using lafsploit on mAID system installed TWRP. From there I flashed H91820h.zip image (which doesn't overwrite bootloader) and Magisk.
    how do you switch the 2 cameras in Open Camera?
    there is a small button on the top right corner of the main shutter button
    BTW the installation process is the same right????????
    Yes, just make sure you flash in an old enough stock ROM to get the process started. So far I've seen H990DS and H990N builds are perfectly compatible with each other, since nobody seems to touch the Modem part which is the only real difference between the two (they're physically optimized for different LTE frequencies, though there's a lot of overlap too).
    i am attempting to build on a debian 11 machine with 32GB of memory, Threadripper 1950x, Linux 5.14.
    adding -j 1 to repo sync changes the error to

fatal: missing blob object '556a1d6d9a8b7e78201c41b353020202da431890'
    error: remote did not send all necessary objects
    error: Cannot fetch platform/prebuilts/misc from https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/misc
    Fetching: 68% (582/855) platform/external/google-fonts/dancing-scriptfatal: missing blob object '556a1d6d9a8b7e78201c41b353020202da431890'
    error: remote did not send all necessary objects

is there a way i can make the github website create me a massive .zip file i can download with my web browser?
    Definitely not a spec problem since i build it in a laptop with 8GB of RAM (using ZRAM) and a i5 8250U, besides, repo sync isn't even RAM intensive, only the build commands are. I suppose it must be something in their server.

And unfortunately no, the github address only stores lineage's pointers to the actual files, not the files themselves (github has a repository size limit, and lineage can very well use around 100GB on disk just for the 18.1 branch). I will try a repo sync here just to check if it really is their server.
    pls dont!!! it's working fine for me and I use it daily
    Oh? Interesting, my Miracast dingle doesn't like v20. I'll leave it then
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Yeah, considering h910/h918 are near identical, makes sense that they both suffer.

By your own statement, you're an engineer, and should be able to discern based on the info you gave me that it is _not_ an issue with the "Snap Camera apk", instead that we are using compressed audio path, and clearly it isn't processing right (likely a codec issue like I mentioned several posts ago). We could swap it to unprocessed mic input, but that will be garbled and awful - only using that as a last resort as opposed to actually fixing the compressed audio route.

As for the insults launched - k, stop using lineage then. I literally have not a care in the world whether you use it. I'm doing hard work for free, which, as an engineer, you should understand is often thankless, and your naggy/attacking comments only make me want to never touch the device again :)

I'll be looking at it sometime this week, but for everyone else on this thread who has been kind and supportive lol.
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

Maybe you should go back to stock? You do realize we do this for free and on our own time? If there are any issues we try to fix them ASAP but with your comments I doubt @npjohnson is going to want to support the device anymore. If there is any issue I would recommend reporting it in a less-hostile way and it might be a simple fix rather than insulting the primary dev for LOS on the device who may now not want to support the device anymore...
    Moderator Announcement

Thread slightly cleaned!

This is a development site and people contribute work as a fun hobby, NOT A JOB! They don't owe you anything but you owe the developers respect!
    If a ROM does not work for you, what did you do to contribute? Did you clean flash? More important, did you run a log of errors to help the developer? Just remember what you would expect in your profession. Or were you just too lazy to help and prefer to leech and complain?
    This world will only get better if we all learn to give instead of always taking! Please do not comment on rude posts, please report and a moderator will help.
    Thank you all for your cooperation.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

So, my girlfriend is at home, asked her to try it - and surprise surprise, Snap Camera's video recorded audio works just fine lol. Front and rear camera.

I did pick the patchset we merged on g5-common though afterwards, and merged it - it sounds to loud to me tbh, but enough people seem to like it better, lets go with it.