• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Search This thread

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
Is it possible to customize the apps that an application can share to (open file in)? I'm using Pocketcasts to download podcasts and I'd like to use my music player to play the downloads.

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-12-01 at 11.24.40 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-01 at 11.24.40 AM (1).jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 16
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-12-01 at 11.24.40 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-01 at 11.24.40 AM.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 17

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
Latest LOS 18.1

OpenGL ES 3.2 [email protected] ([email protected], Ife855c4895) (Date:08/21/18)
Damn, that really is quite outdated. The latest one we have on lighthouse, v0490, dates from 09/02/20.

I could get xxseva44 on it to get a flashable zip of the driver for Android 11 (there's some zips for that driver here on the V20 forums, although i didn't get it working on LOS 18.1/Lighthouse since it was made for LOS 17.1) while it doesn't get merged officially into the LOS rom, but i have no idea if he's available right now.

Meanwhile... @npjohnson, i'm not very knowledgeable in the rom side of things, so i'm not sure if that's a major task but is it possible to update the GPU driver to the same used in lighthouse? From my testings, it does fix the Filmic Pro bug @nostupidthing was having since it records just fine here, and will also probably fix a large assortment of GPU bugs in other things as well as make the GPU faster/more efficient overall. I'll contact xxseva about it and see if he can help.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Damn, that really is quite outdated. The latest one we have on lighthouse, v0490, dates from 09/02/20.

I could get xxseva44 on it to get a flashable zip of the driver for Android 11 (there's some zips for that driver here on the V20 forums, although i didn't get it working on LOS 18.1/Lighthouse since it was made for LOS 17.1) while it doesn't get merged officially into the LOS rom, but i have no idea if he's available right now.

Meanwhile... @npjohnson, i'm not very knowledgeable in the rom side of things, so i'm not sure if that's a major task but is it possible to update the GPU driver to the same used in lighthouse? From my testings, it does fix the Filmic Pro bug @nostupidthing was having since it records just fine here, and will also probably fix a large assortment of GPU bugs in other things as well as make the GPU faster/more efficient overall. I'll contact xxseva about it and see if he can help.
"where is the GPU driver from?" Is the big question.

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
"where is the GPU driver from?" Is the big question.
Seems like they need to be either extracted from other phones, or downloaded from google's development site for their pixel devices here:

From what i've seen, The Adreno 540 on the Snapdragon 835 has the same underlying architecture as the Adreno 530 on the Snap 820/821, so the Pixel 2/XL binaries should work on the V20 as well and also be the most updated ones, but if not, i guess the latest Pixel qcom binary should be a safe bet. I even got ahead and downloaded the pixel 2 binary and it appears to extract a vendor folder even without my phone connected to the USB, so the driver's probably internal to the .sh file.

Unfortunately i don't know how to interpret those extracted files myself, so i'm sorry if that's not enough information.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Seems like they need to be either extracted from other phones, or downloaded from google's development site for their pixel devices here:

From what i've seen, The Adreno 540 on the Snapdragon 835 has the same underlying architecture as the Adreno 530 on the Snap 820/821, so the Pixel 2/XL binaries should work on the V20 as well and also be the most updated ones, but if not, i guess the latest Pixel qcom binary should be a safe bet. I even got ahead and downloaded the pixel 2 binary and it appears to extract a vendor folder even without my phone connected to the USB, so the driver's probably internal to the .sh file.

Unfortunately i don't know how to interpret those extracted files myself, so i'm sorry if that's not enough information.
If they from another msm8996 device, and an officially released firmware, we can look at it. Anything beta or pre-reoease, no.

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
If they from another msm8996 device, and an officially released firmware, we can look at it. Anything beta or pre-reoease, no.
The Pixel/XL binary is made for msm8996 and it's from the Android 10 release for them, so it's by far the safest bet we have:

But as i said, i have no idea how those extracted files work. I'll get in touch with other ROM devs and see if i can get some extra info.

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
Alright, so i had a chat with @xxseva44 over telegram a while ago, and yep, those appear to be the gpu blobs we're looking for. Lighthouse uses the latest drivers from Pixel 2/XL (msm8998 -> Adreno 540), so they do work on the V20 but aren't intended for msm8996 in the strictest sense. He also told me about the structure of those extracted files:

"Vendor stuff(qcom folder) is the actual drivers and stuff whereas the device(google_devices) stuff is just listing out the directories and telling the compiler where the vendor files are".

Hope it helps.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Alright, so i had a chat with @xxseva44 over telegram a while ago, and yep, those appear to be the gpu blobs we're looking for. Lighthouse uses the latest drivers from Pixel 2/XL (msm8998 -> Adreno 540), so they do work on the V20 but aren't intended for msm8996 in the strictest sense. He also told me about the structure of those extracted files:

"Vendor stuff(qcom folder) is the actual drivers and stuff whereas the device(google_devices) stuff is just listing out the directories and telling the compiler where the vendor files are".

Hope it helps.
The vendor repo stuff has no bearing to us, as we do something entirely different.

And as for msm8998 - eh that seems like a bad idea to me. Might be open to pixel XLs drivers but not 2 XL

Top Liked Posts

FBE, makes sense, it wasn't designed for that.
    please forgive my ignorance, what is FBE? and is there any hope of a workaround?
    please forgive my ignorance, what is FBE? and is there any hope of a workaround?
    File based encryption, and no.

But I've just realized, this is the V20 thread, confused it, v20 is FDE, but still, Android wasnt designed for full data restoration like that
    Will you working on Lineage OS 19?
    Lineage OS 19 is based on Android 12, so the chance of it even booting on the current 3.18 kernel is very slim, we'll need to update a lot of things including a major kernel version bump to reach a reasonable state to port anything Android 12 so it will likely take a while. Even kernel 4.4 still requires a ton of patching to be able to boot android 12
    We are far, far, very far from that. Our device trees are simply too outdated for a12 to even get past the lg logo. Only hope of even booting a12 is a significant upgrade for the kernel, device trees and device firmware. All of which will take time, lots of it.
    This link seems to be dead now, any suggestion?
    It is? Weird, i just entered the AFH link right now and there's a mirror to download the modem.img file.

In any case, if AFH can't find any mirrors for you i think i still have that file somewhere on my phone. I'll see if i can upload it later.
    ahhh i didn't know that, i though it was a h910 so i unlocked/rooted using the common root method, is there anyway to revert and "officially" unlock it now?

static screen doesn't bother me that much though

wifi instability is more of a problem

ahh i just checked lg has stopped the bootloader unlock service
    Yep, unfortunately they seem to have closed that service, so the best approach you have is using that us996 rom with the modem that works best for you and also a h910 kernel to solve that screen glitch at boot. I don't think the h910 kernel will break things on your us996 since they're basically identical except for that unlock procedure.
    thanks a lot! so i need to wipe again.... yikes....

one last question for time being, if the device is already bootloader unlocked (which I think so bcs otherwise the seller couldn't have flash h910 rom on it), is it possible to revert to stock and keep the unlocked bootloader? is flashing a stock kdz ok? or if there is anyway to check?

then with unlocked bootloader i can still install twrp and los?

thx alot guys.
    Well if you want to be on stock, just dont flash a rom on top and flash the patched kernel which would've been with your guide. If they didn't link one, use mk2000. You should already have twrp. Do not flash a kdz, you're basically restoring the software on the phone. If you want stock, use alpha omega, weta, etc, theres a post on the v20 thread which has them linked. And you can use los with the unlocked bootloader.
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Yeah, considering h910/h918 are near identical, makes sense that they both suffer.

By your own statement, you're an engineer, and should be able to discern based on the info you gave me that it is _not_ an issue with the "Snap Camera apk", instead that we are using compressed audio path, and clearly it isn't processing right (likely a codec issue like I mentioned several posts ago). We could swap it to unprocessed mic input, but that will be garbled and awful - only using that as a last resort as opposed to actually fixing the compressed audio route.

As for the insults launched - k, stop using lineage then. I literally have not a care in the world whether you use it. I'm doing hard work for free, which, as an engineer, you should understand is often thankless, and your naggy/attacking comments only make me want to never touch the device again :)

I'll be looking at it sometime this week, but for everyone else on this thread who has been kind and supportive lol.
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Maybe you should go back to stock? You do realize we do this for free and on our own time? If there are any issues we try to fix them ASAP but with your comments I doubt @npjohnson is going to want to support the device anymore. If there is any issue I would recommend reporting it in a less-hostile way and it might be a simple fix rather than insulting the primary dev for LOS on the device who may now not want to support the device anymore...
    Moderator Announcement

Thread slightly cleaned!

This is a development site and people contribute work as a fun hobby, NOT A JOB! They don't owe you anything but you owe the developers respect!
    If a ROM does not work for you, what did you do to contribute? Did you clean flash? More important, did you run a log of errors to help the developer? Just remember what you would expect in your profession. Or were you just too lazy to help and prefer to leech and complain?
    This world will only get better if we all learn to give instead of always taking! Please do not comment on rude posts, please report and a moderator will help.
    Thank you all for your cooperation.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    Lineage OS 19 is based on Android 12, so the chance of it even booting on the current 3.18 kernel is very slim, we'll need to update a lot of things including a major kernel version bump to reach a reasonable state to port anything Android 12 so it will likely take a while. Even kernel 4.4 still requires a ton of patching to be able to boot android 12