• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Search This thread

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
The vendor repo stuff has no bearing to us, as we do something entirely different.

And as for msm8998 - eh that seems like a bad idea to me. Might be open to pixel XLs drivers but not 2 XL
Yeah i posted a link to the latest firmware binaries for the Pixel XL above, 2 XL isn't really intended for msm8996 so i can understand not using it as a base.

And if the driver structure is different on lineage, i guess we have to find out what differs between google's binaries and Lineage's structures...

I have the lineage repo cloned locally, and so far those drivers and etc seem to be located on /lineage/vendor/lge/msm8996-common/proprietary. At least the files in there appear to be the same overall. But i'm not sure if those are actually part of the rom or come from another repo, as some ROMs for the V20 do include a "msm8996-common" github source separated from their main ROM source.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Yeah i posted a link to the latest firmware binaries for the Pixel XL above, 2 XL isn't really intended for msm8996 so i can understand not using it as a base.

And if the driver structure is different on lineage, i guess we have to find out what differs between google's binaries and Lineage's structures...

I have the lineage repo cloned locally, and so far those drivers and etc seem to be located on /lineage/vendor/lge/msm8996-common/proprietary. At least the files in there appear to be the same overall. But i'm not sure if those are actually part of the rom or come from another repo, as some ROMs for the V20 do include a "msm8996-common" github source separated from their main ROM source.
I really appreciate you trying to dig into this, but it's actually really simple, we just structure the folder structure differently because we extract them from a running build instead of from the OEM sourced tar, because obviously we don't have that from LG.

I'm down to test the pixel XL driver, I'll give it a shot, nothing more really needed.

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
I really appreciate you trying to dig into this, but it's actually really simple, we just structure the folder structure differently because we extract them from a running build instead of from the OEM sourced tar, because obviously we don't have that from LG.

I'm down to test the pixel XL driver, I'll give it a shot, nothing more really needed.
Alright, thanks!

I just didn't think the proprietary blob extraction procedure depicted on Lineage's website could also be used for those qualcomm blobs as well.

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
is there anything i need to do or i just wait for next los build?

THX A LOT !!!!
Waiting is the best approach since the alternative is packing the driver up and making a flashable for it. npjohnson is testing it, so if the driver works fine it should come to the lineage releases in a while.
But after (and if) it gets updated, please report if the app is working on it cause the 8996 driver on the Pixel XL is likely older than the one used in lighthouse, so i can't guarantee it will work on this one even though it should fix a lot of things if the binary is much newer than the current LOS one.

Ryu945

Sep 20, 2015

Attachments

• Partition Name.png
    Partition Name.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 6

A.Whit

Jul 11, 2021
Thankyou. I tried to flash it and it asked me a question not mentioned in the guide. It was asking about partition name. There were a lot of check boxes to click on.
You need to select all partitions in partition dl. Keep in mind after you flash it and reboot you will need to unlock bootloader and install twrp. Then you can install los.

A.Whit

Jul 11, 2021
I tried running that guide. At step 16, it just stops on an LG logo screen. It has been over 10 minutes. Guide says 5 minutes.

edit: nm
Thats the hardest step. When you run step3.bat file the instant the phone goes blank you must pull battery out and when you put it back in hold vol- plus power button until logo and release only power button and then hold power button again until Factory data Reset menu then proceed.

Repeat step3.bat until you get into twrp. If you allow phone to boot without doing this you have to start over with RUNMEFIRST.BAT

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
Just got this installed, works great! I followed the guide on their website and how to unlock the bootloader, the only thing that didn't pop up was the message saying to go to step 2 (or maybe it was step 3). I can see why this phone has a dedicated audience, I'm really liking it so far. One problem is that I have the Verizon phone and it vibrates until lineage loads all the way to the home screen.

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
Waiting is the best approach since the alternative is packing the driver up and making a flashable for it. npjohnson is testing it, so if the driver works fine it should come to the lineage releases in a while.
But after (and if) it gets updated, please report if the app is working on it cause the 8996 driver on the Pixel XL is likely older than the one used in lighthouse, so i can't guarantee it will work on this one even though it should fix a lot of things if the binary is much newer than the current LOS one.
where can i check if the latest build is updated with new graphics driver? thx!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    how do you switch the 2 cameras in Open Camera?
    there is a small button on the top right corner of the main shutter button
    i am attempting to build on a debian 11 machine with 32GB of memory, Threadripper 1950x, Linux 5.14.
    adding -j 1 to repo sync changes the error to

fatal: missing blob object '556a1d6d9a8b7e78201c41b353020202da431890'
    error: remote did not send all necessary objects
    error: Cannot fetch platform/prebuilts/misc from https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/misc
    Fetching: 68% (582/855) platform/external/google-fonts/dancing-scriptfatal: missing blob object '556a1d6d9a8b7e78201c41b353020202da431890'
    error: remote did not send all necessary objects

is there a way i can make the github website create me a massive .zip file i can download with my web browser?
    guide works fine - the accusatory tone won't get you anywhere.

Delete the build tree, check your internet connection, and restart the guide.

Those errors mean you've been rate limited by google's site for some reason, and the latter one means the .git folder of that repo is corrupted. Like I said, just restart.
    ok i flashed another h910 and h990

once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy

for h910, check out this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-howto-at-t-h910-up-to-v20g-fully-tested.3664500/
    for h990, check out this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-dirtysanta-comes-for-the-h990.3624296/

basically the process is pretty much the same. use patched lgup to backup full firmware. downgrade firmware which has vulnerability. use dirtysanta to flash engineer bootloader. wipe. update twrp. flash los + mindthegapps.
    That's great! Glad to see there are still a few people interested in messing with those devices, they can be used as almost anything thanks to the extensive feature set they have.
    im from g5, which i cannot find a new battery when the old one is gone. but v20 battery still available, i'm so glad the dev is making this work. the v20 i got was like [email protected] which is a bargain imo and i love the flexibility los give u

THANK YOU DEV!!!
    a silly question, which app in store can utilize all 3 cameras on v20?
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Yeah, considering h910/h918 are near identical, makes sense that they both suffer.

By your own statement, you're an engineer, and should be able to discern based on the info you gave me that it is _not_ an issue with the "Snap Camera apk", instead that we are using compressed audio path, and clearly it isn't processing right (likely a codec issue like I mentioned several posts ago). We could swap it to unprocessed mic input, but that will be garbled and awful - only using that as a last resort as opposed to actually fixing the compressed audio route.

As for the insults launched - k, stop using lineage then. I literally have not a care in the world whether you use it. I'm doing hard work for free, which, as an engineer, you should understand is often thankless, and your naggy/attacking comments only make me want to never touch the device again :)

I'll be looking at it sometime this week, but for everyone else on this thread who has been kind and supportive lol.
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

Maybe you should go back to stock? You do realize we do this for free and on our own time? If there are any issues we try to fix them ASAP but with your comments I doubt @npjohnson is going to want to support the device anymore. If there is any issue I would recommend reporting it in a less-hostile way and it might be a simple fix rather than insulting the primary dev for LOS on the device who may now not want to support the device anymore...
    Moderator Announcement

Thread slightly cleaned!

This is a development site and people contribute work as a fun hobby, NOT A JOB! They don't owe you anything but you owe the developers respect!
    If a ROM does not work for you, what did you do to contribute? Did you clean flash? More important, did you run a log of errors to help the developer? Just remember what you would expect in your profession. Or were you just too lazy to help and prefer to leech and complain?
    This world will only get better if we all learn to give instead of always taking! Please do not comment on rude posts, please report and a moderator will help.
    Thank you all for your cooperation.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    3. Flash Superior zip
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

PERFECT SOUND !!!

"Hi @npjohnson

So, my girlfriend is at home, asked her to try it - and surprise surprise, Snap Camera's video recorded audio works just fine lol. Front and rear camera.

I did pick the patchset we merged on g5-common though afterwards, and merged it - it sounds to loud to me tbh, but enough people seem to like it better, lets go with it.