[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Search This thread

jailedmike

May 2, 2018
Moto E 2015
LG V20
I'm talking about the mk2k-custom kernel, just to be sure. And it wasn't just a loose unrelated question, I was wondering if the type-c hdmi hub behaved the same, and if you didn't test I suggest you do.

If the problem still persist, we can be almost certain the problem is in the ROMs charger/usb configuration.
Your kernel works... Lol been ignoring my v20 for years because of that.

Reactions: askermk2000

itt533

Nov 12, 2020
chennai
Is there a way in LOS to get info such as the charging current, realtime up/download rates? Also i'd like to get battery level displayed on the lock screen, and if possible, the charging current.

languy99

Oct 27, 2018
I have Lineage 18.1 installed on my LG v20 vs995 and have run into a problem. Recently with an update downloaded and installed the Bluetooth on the phone it drops all Bluetooth connections randomly and I have to reboot the phone to get it back. I think it happened with this build lineage-18.1-20220628-nightly-vs995-signed.zip any advice?

coogans_bluff

Oct 12, 2016
What can I do when the camera apps don't record any sound within videos I'm taking? (the original one as well as various gcam versions)

Xanvast

Jul 2, 2022
France
I need some help with notifications. Ever since I flashed this rom, I've been having notification issues. At first, some apps would not get notifications like gmail and Line. But I think the June 3rd build, I haven't been getting any notifications. I'm on US996.

Thanks.
I have the same issue with lineage-18.1-20220623-nightly-h910-signed. Did you find a solution ?

What could be the cause ? Was it fixed in a subsequent release ?
It appears to me that some necessary services might not be running in the background to be supplying these notifications. I'm not getting notified of Discord/Skype messages nor getting the call if I'm not in the app open in front of me.

Thank you

Edit : Signal works, it stated that it can compensate for the lack of google play services and disable battery optimizations that prevent it from getting messages while inactive. It then created an authorization to always be run in the background. Unfortunately I have not found a way to replicate this for other apps, the options is simply not there. Also removing all battery optimizations did not help.
Edit 2 : any way to get notifications to work without installing anything google ? And without google cloud messaging through microG.
Edit 3 : Skype Lite works and Discord is going into the dumpster.

Last edited:

Xanvast

Jul 2, 2022
France
I have another issue I need advice on. I am getting kernel crashes and random reboots in a few instances. One of them is calling and being called : 100% of the time. Another is when using Skype Lite and browsing something else : high risk.
I might add that the phone is chewing up the battery faster than stock and getting hot when video chatting.

My whole detailed process until now is detailed on this thread. This is my second installation of LOS 18.1. The difference this time is 4G works and I'm getting kernel crashes. The rest didn't change. I'll sum up real quick.

So what led me to this : I've followed this procedure [ROOT] HOWTO: AT&T H910 up to v20g (FULLY TESTED) by using a H91510e kdz as a base. The issues started at the very end when flashing the h910-10r.rar and then Magisk-v19.0. I would get a secure boot every time even after formatting. After a few times it became a green screen kernel crash and at that point I couldn't get into TWRP anymore.
I ended up restarting from scratch with a H91510e kdz and redoing the rooting. This time I didn't get to TWRP to flash anything I got the green screen crash again it was still there. I managed to boot into recovery by flashing another boot.img and then the h910-10r.rar again without magisk this time. But same result with secure boot even after formatting.
What I didn't know at the time is that the h910-10r.rar provided at the end of the thread (because it is now unavailable in the OP) was missing the mk2000 kernel and therefore I didn't flash it.
So with that endeavor going nowhere I ended up installing lineage-18.1-20220623-nightly-h910-signed.zip instead like the first time and this is where I'm currently at. It works well but the battery is going down faster than normal (maybe 1h40 in autonomy for video chatting, should be over 2h30), it overheats and I'm getting kernel crashes that I'll attach below.
This post is displaying a very similar issue and fixed it by flashing h915freedommobilemodem.img. Is this going to solve it for me too or is there something else I should do ? If I go ahead and flash this modem, how do I go about it ?
Thanks !

Edit : I just noticed my phone won't go into headphones mode for some reason when plugged in and the HIFI Quad DAC is unavailable but that's another problem.
Edit 2 : Well no it didn't help at all. At least it didn't make it worse. I'm still getting the kernel panic crashes. I will try the one from this post now.
Edit 3 : I thought at first that the H910 modem fixed the crashes, it worked no problem for a day but it happened again 4x the next day.
Edit 4 : the H910_v0.7-mk2000.zip kernel for Lineage seems to have solved it for me. Thanks a lot to who made it. I was ready to give up.
Edit 5 : black screen kernel crashes have stopped definitively yes but they are now replaced by blue screen modem crashes and orange screen adsp crashes. I think this is the end of my LOS adventure.

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_014401.jpg
    IMG_20220719_014401.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220719_023528.jpg
    IMG_20220719_023528.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

x-r-c

Nov 25, 2021
I can confirm LineageOS has been working great on my H990DS and I still get updates, it just needed some special step to unlock the bootloader before flashing. Feels like a brand new phone. I think V20 is perhaps the longest active phone on XDA. I wish one day LG can re-enter the market with the V20 Reborn with newest chipset and camera. Props to the devs for keeping this device alive!

Last edited:

kornex

May 21, 2020
France
Hello everyone,
I've two LG V20 H990DS, one is unlocked with dirty santa, and I installed Los 18.1 (20220731) on it with TWRP

I've some any issues, like no GPS, no quad DAC, bad pictures with OpenCamera 1.49.2, No VoLTE, bug with speaker on a call (rarely), only Bluetooth SBC audio codec choice.

I tried to root with magisk, but no way

Maybe a bad kernel, wich is the best for this rom plz ?

Someone could help me plz ?

Other question : wich is the best rom and options for a 15y old children with this better phone of the world ?
:D
Thank you very much,

aCIDsLAM

Feb 7, 2015
Thanks for all the great stuff over the years for this phone. I really had fun with it.
I now switched to ShiftPhone 6mq, which also has official LineageOS Support an user replaceable battery.

Keep up the great work!

pranciskus2

Dec 29, 2015
H990DS 2022-08-07 LOS Camera freezes on all apps (especially while zooming) and need to restart the app.

pranciskus2

Dec 29, 2015
I have another issue I need advice on. I am getting kernel crashes and random reboots in a few instances. One of them is calling and being called : 100% of the time. Another is when using Skype Lite and browsing something else : high risk.
I might add that the phone is chewing up the battery faster than stock and getting hot when video chatting.

My whole detailed process until now is detailed on this thread. This is my second installation of LOS 18.1. The difference this time is 4G works and I'm getting kernel crashes. The rest didn't change. I'll sum up real quick.

So what led me to this : I've followed this procedure [ROOT] HOWTO: AT&T H910 up to v20g (FULLY TESTED) by using a H91510e kdz as a base. The issues started at the very end when flashing the h910-10r.rar and then Magisk-v19.0. I would get a secure boot every time even after formatting. After a few times it became a green screen kernel crash and at that point I couldn't get into TWRP anymore.
I ended up restarting from scratch with a H91510e kdz and redoing the rooting. This time I didn't get to TWRP to flash anything I got the green screen crash again it was still there. I managed to boot into recovery by flashing another boot.img and then the h910-10r.rar again without magisk this time. But same result with secure boot even after formatting.
What I didn't know at the time is that the h910-10r.rar provided at the end of the thread (because it is now unavailable in the OP) was missing the mk2000 kernel and therefore I didn't flash it.
So with that endeavor going nowhere I ended up installing lineage-18.1-20220623-nightly-h910-signed.zip instead like the first time and this is where I'm currently at. It works well but the battery is going down faster than normal (maybe 1h40 in autonomy for video chatting, should be over 2h30), it overheats and I'm getting kernel crashes that I'll attach below.
This post is displaying a very similar issue and fixed it by flashing h915freedommobilemodem.img. Is this going to solve it for me too or is there something else I should do ? If I go ahead and flash this modem, how do I go about it ?
Thanks !

Edit : I just noticed my phone won't go into headphones mode for some reason when plugged in and the HIFI Quad DAC is unavailable but that's another problem.
Edit 2 : Well no it didn't help at all. At least it didn't make it worse. I'm still getting the kernel panic crashes. I will try the one from this post now.
Edit 3 : I thought at first that the H910 modem fixed the crashes, it worked no problem for a day but it happened again 4x the next day.
Edit 4 : the H910_v0.7-mk2000.zip kernel for Lineage seems to have solved it for me. Thanks a lot to who made it. I was ready to give up.
Edit 5 : black screen kernel crashes have stopped definitively yes but they are now replaced by blue screen modem crashes and orange screen adsp crashes. I think this is the end of my LOS adventure.
I experienced that kernel crash about two months ago. It seems to be fixed on H990DS but I guess it was just replaced with random reboots which is better.

pranciskus2

Dec 29, 2015
@npjohnson

Thanks for your contribution. The rom feels smooth and as stable as ever.

Noticed a few things though. An oreo base should be recommended if camera performance were to be a priority. Having an oreo base seems to fix the choppiness in video recording. Of course at the expense of fingerprint unlock
Hi, how can I use Oreo base? I'm interested in having freeze free camera. Thanks.

bccrosby

Jul 11, 2017
Can lg v20 h915 install rom lineage os 18.1 and which version should i install lineage os 18.1

pranciskus2

Dec 29, 2015
Thanks, but my device bootlooped after flashing this. The device boots up and I can unlock it and then it stays stuck for 2 mins and when reboots without "untrusted device" logo to the black screen and then again and again reboots to the black screen. How can I revert it back without cleaning system and data partitions. I tried to dirty flash LOS 2022-08-07 again, but it didn't help, "powered by android" logo stays to be bold font, like after flashing your zip.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought I had encrypted my device (H990) but I noticed that it has stopped asking me for the password on reboots and while turning it on. It just goes straight to the lockscreen. My H910 still does it. Android settings says its encrypted. I also used the adb command to check for encryption state and it returned encrypted.

Code:
    adb shell getprop ro.crypto.state
    You just need to set the secure boot password again.
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Yeah, considering h910/h918 are near identical, makes sense that they both suffer.

By your own statement, you're an engineer, and should be able to discern based on the info you gave me that it is _not_ an issue with the "Snap Camera apk", instead that we are using compressed audio path, and clearly it isn't processing right (likely a codec issue like I mentioned several posts ago). We could swap it to unprocessed mic input, but that will be garbled and awful - only using that as a last resort as opposed to actually fixing the compressed audio route.

As for the insults launched - k, stop using lineage then. I literally have not a care in the world whether you use it. I'm doing hard work for free, which, as an engineer, you should understand is often thankless, and your naggy/attacking comments only make me want to never touch the device again :)

I'll be looking at it sometime this week, but for everyone else on this thread who has been kind and supportive lol.
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...96-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Maybe you should go back to stock? You do realize we do this for free and on our own time? If there are any issues we try to fix them ASAP but with your comments I doubt @npjohnson is going to want to support the device anymore. If there is any issue I would recommend reporting it in a less-hostile way and it might be a simple fix rather than insulting the primary dev for LOS on the device who may now not want to support the device anymore...
    Moderator Announcement

Thread slightly cleaned!

This is a development site and people contribute work as a fun hobby, NOT A JOB! They don't owe you anything but you owe the developers respect!
    If a ROM does not work for you, what did you do to contribute? Did you clean flash? More important, did you run a log of errors to help the developer? Just remember what you would expect in your profession. Or were you just too lazy to help and prefer to leech and complain?
    This world will only get better if we all learn to give instead of always taking! Please do not comment on rude posts, please report and a moderator will help.
    Thank you all for your cooperation.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator
    If someone could figure out how to get VoLTE working on LineageOS for this phone then it would solve a lot of problems. This is the fastest battery phone on the market that supports custom ROMs. There is no replacement for it.