[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Search This thread

Cryovenom

Dec 5, 2020
Don't do that. Just follow the wiki for, and use builds for your device.
@npjohnson There is no wiki and build for the H915 that I can find. Am I missing something?

Capture+_2021-05-06-03-07-09.png

Last edited:

xxseva44

• May 16, 2019
    Canada
    LG V20
    Does anyone have the procedure for flashing the Nougat KDZ that *won't* overwrite recovery and re-lock the bootloader?
    Running 18.1, looks good so far, but the fingerprint sensor doesn't work - and I use it a LOT.
    TIA !!
    You can try flashing the nougat modem in the patched version of LG UP with partition DL. Just grab it here and then, make the directories it's looking for or else it'll get all pissy and throw errs. once you have that done, just grab your kdz from here and then, just open lg up, select partition DL, choose the kdz and hit start. Once you do that, it'll ask you what partitions you'd like to flash, choose the modem partition and flash. Once that's done, reboot and your good to go!

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • @npjohnson There is no wiki and build for the H915 that I can find. Am I missing something?

View attachment 5301105
    D'oh!

Can't believe we've missed this as long as we have lol - okay, I added h915 to the guards for h918's build, when the next h918 build goes live, can you please install it?

I'd recommend using lineage recovery, but TWRP should work fine!

Once it's installed, let me know of anything that's messed up, if nothing is, I'll add proper and full support for detecting h915 and setting it's fingerprint and such.

Cecillatour

Sep 19, 2017
    You can try flashing the nougat modem in the patched version of LG UP with partition DL. Just grab it here and then, make the directories it's looking for or else it'll get all pissy and throw errs. once you have that done, just grab your kdz from here and then, just open lg up, select partition DL, choose the kdz and hit start. Once you do that, it'll ask you what partitions you'd like to flash, choose the modem partition and flash. Once that's done, reboot and your good to go!
    I am afraid that flashing nougat modem on otherwise oreo firmware is not going to make fingerprints work. I tried it twice, once using patched LGUP and the second time by flashing nougat modem in twrp. If you do this fingerprint option will not even show in settings. If you have oreo firmware and modem it will show, but it won't work. The only way to have it working is by having nougat firmware and modem and flash LOS on top of that. I read somewhere here on XDA that fingerprint working does not depend only on modem but that there is something in the firmware too.

dilligaf56

Feb 22, 2011
    SoCal, USA
    I am afraid that flashing nougat modem on otherwise oreo firmware is not going to make fingerprints work. I tried it twice, once using patched LGUP and the second time by flashing nougat modem in twrp. If you do this fingerprint option will not even show in settings. If you have oreo firmware and modem it will show, but it won't work. The only way to have it working is by having nougat firmware and modem and flash LOS on top of that. I read somewhere here on XDA that fingerprint working does not depend only on modem but that there is something in the firmware too.
    So - is there any way to accomplish this without overwriting recovery and re-locking the bootloader?

xxseva44

• May 16, 2019
    Canada
    LG V20
    Aw man, in theory it should work but ig not

dilligaf56

Feb 22, 2011
    SoCal, USA
    You can try looking for a nougat flashable for your variant
    Anyone have a flashable Nougat ROM for the US unlocked (NOT US Cellular) US996 that will accomplish this?
    I have a factory KDZ but going through the usual procedure for flashing it will overwrite recovery and re-lock the bootloader. If there is a way to flash only the portion I need to get the fingerprint sensor back, please enlighten me. Better, if flashing a Nougat ROM (not KDZ) will do it, and someone has one they can point me at - please do :) - thanks!

Cryovenom

Dec 5, 2020
    D'oh!

Can't believe we've missed this as long as we have lol - okay, I added h915 to the guards for h918's build, when the next h918 build goes live, can you please install it?

I'd recommend using lineage recovery, but TWRP should work fine!

Once it's installed, let me know of anything that's messed up, if nothing is, I'll add proper and full support for detecting h915 and setting it's fingerprint and such.
    Sure, I'll give it a shot on my spare H915 and report back. Thanks!

Cecillatour

Sep 19, 2017
    That is certainly the best option. However, there are others. Patched LGUP allows you to flash portions of KDZ files. You can flash the latest nougat kdz for your phone but choose in the LGUP menu not to flash boot.bak and aboot.bak. You will also have to pull battery out just before the LGUP finishes flashing. Then you will have to reboot to twrp recovery using buttons (that is not obvious, so look it up if you have not done it before). You will also probably have to flash mk kernel as well in twrp to avoid static during boot. I would strongly recommend reading through the post on XDA about patched LGUP.

The other option is, of course, to flash boot unlockable nougat version of kdz via LGUP and afterwards unlock the bootloader again.

BloodyIron

• Feb 25, 2017
    we support the G5/v20/G6 all in one common tree. This means we can use most Oreo blobs (and do) on v20.

But we have to use a few Nougat blobs for the G5 as it never got Oreo.

I'll be updating the vendor date for the v20 to reflect the latest Oreo build, and G5 for Nougat soon.

Bootstacks/firmware will remain whatever you're on. I'm not touching that, as each variant is different and there are too many to account for.

Hey, it sounds like you're a contributor to this project. As such, is there any way I can make a request? Not sure where to post them (which github? or whatnot).

The request, specifically, is that we get the magnetic sensor feature supported again, for LG v20, so that the flip-covers can properly turn the screen on/off again. The proximity sensors are nowhere near reliable enough, compared to the magnetic sensors, and this is a feature I used countless times per day when it was working for me (stock ROMs at the time, mind you).

Any chance this could become a thing please?

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • Hey, it sounds like you're a contributor to this project. As such, is there any way I can make a request? Not sure where to post them (which github? or whatnot).

The request, specifically, is that we get the magnetic sensor feature supported again, for LG v20, so that the flip-covers can properly turn the screen on/off again. The proximity sensors are nowhere near reliable enough, compared to the magnetic sensors, and this is a feature I used countless times per day when it was working for me (stock ROMs at the time, mind you).

Any chance this could become a thing please?
    Yeah that should be easy.

On vacay this week, but next for sure!

Reactions: BloodyIron

BloodyIron

• Feb 25, 2017
    Yeah that should be easy.

On vacay this week, but next for sure!

Hey that's really cool! Now, since LineageOS 18.1 is kinda fresh, is there any possibility to also bring the feature to LOS 17.x since that's mature? I likely will move to 18.1, but I'm hesitant to do so just yet since it looks pretty fresh. Hopefully this isn't asking too much.

As for timeline, that's actually way faster than I thought! I can wait a week ;P Namely because I haven't updated my LOS in a few months (last time I did so with OTA LOS updates, things... broke... so I'm trigger cautious).

Also, for blobs from Oreo, any chance of the FM Tuner and/or second screen coming over to LOS 18.1? :)

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • Hey that's really cool! Now, since LineageOS 18.1 is kinda fresh, is there any possibility to also bring the feature to LOS 17.x since that's mature? I likely will move to 18.1, but I'm hesitant to do so just yet since it looks pretty fresh. Hopefully this isn't asking too much.

As for timeline, that's actually way faster than I thought! I can wait a week ;P Namely because I haven't updated my LOS in a few months (last time I did so with OTA LOS updates, things... broke... so I'm trigger cautious).

Also, for blobs from Oreo, any chance of the FM Tuner and/or second screen coming over to LOS 18.1? :)
    1. Yeah, can probs backport to 17.1
    2. FM should work if your variant has it on stock - heard other reports of it not, I'll look.
    3. Nah, it's a notch, just easier, and how android is designed to handle it.

BloodyIron

• Feb 25, 2017
    1. Yeah, can probs backport to 17.1
    2. FM should work if your variant has it on stock - heard other reports of it not, I'll look.
    3. Nah, it's a notch, just easier, and how android is designed to handle it.

1. Yay! Thanks! :DDD
    2. I'm on a build form... Jan or Feb, forget exact one, using the Gamma Kernel (v20 I think?)
    3. The thing that I primarily care about is seeing notifications (just the icons) without waking the whole screen, through that slot in the window of my case. Is that functionality achievable in some other way perhaps then? I can generally get past the touch part of that secondary screen, as I now have hold power button for flashlight lol, and double power button for camera.

Again, thanks for your efforts! \o/

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • 1. Yay! Thanks! :DDD
    2. I'm on a build form... Jan or Feb, forget exact one, using the Gamma Kernel (v20 I think?)
    3. The thing that I primarily care about is seeing notifications (just the icons) without waking the whole screen, through that slot in the window of my case. Is that functionality achievable in some other way perhaps then? I can generally get past the touch part of that secondary screen, as I now have hold power button for flashlight lol, and double power button for camera.

Again, thanks for your efforts! \o/
    maybe, I'll look

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      @npjohnson

I finally got my bootloader unlocked and was able to flash recovery.

Flashing the lineage-18.1-20210527-recovery-h918.img resulted in just a screen full of static.
      So I flashed a copy of TWRP, which worked.

From TWRP I tried to do an ADB Sideload of lineage-18.1-20210527-nightly-h918-signed.zip and got an error that "This package is for device: h918, elsa, h815" - Can you check if there was a typo and that 815 should be a 915?

Cheers,

Jon
      OOF - Fixed, next build will have it fixed!
      I had some kernel panics since I switched to MindTheGapps...I used Nikgapps before and all worked fine, except for GPS lock issues...thats why I thought I should switch to MTG.
      Something crashes my SD-card regularly, too. Related to kernel panics. Have to reformat the SD-card each time.
      I'm considering a format and clean install with Nikgapps...or should I wait for OpenGapps 11 Pico??

PS: I don't use Telegram...is that Gamma Kernel file anywhere else to find? Thanks!
      IMG_0478.JPG

Any clue? What does this mean? Thanks a lot!!
      PS: I checked the SD card already several times, also it was freshly formatted. Happens when I'm copying/accessing files.
      I have an issue on my friends phone. (H990DS)

after trying to install this, and after booting the phone for the first time and during the setup, it asked for the password! like the phone new that rom has changed and it is not a clean setup!!! I wiped everything and installed this. can you help me what is the fix?!?!

I mean how can I make a clean slate?!
      not dirty flash!

TWRP wipes, then install from memory. what else? what am I missing?!
      lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
      - Your warranty is now void.
      - You have been warned.
      - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
      This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
      Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
      If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
      • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
      • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
      Notes:
      • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
      Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
      Спасибо за новую версию ОС Android Linegae!
      В настоящее время я использую Lineage OS 17.1, нужно ли мне вернуться к стандартной прошивке LG перед прошивкой этого ПЗУ?
      Нет. Но нужно удалить гаппсы 17.1. Протрите систему.
      On 04-01, I updated to TWRP 3.5.1 and did a clean install of this ROM (04-01). I wiped & formatted, after making a copy of my internal storage to a PC. The install went great. I reinstalled my apps and then flashed Magisk 22.0. Everything I tried worked well (BT, GPS, quad DAC).

Today, I updated to TWRP 3.5.2 and Magisk 22.1. Then, I dirty flashed the 04-15 nightly. Magisk patched new boot.img automatically and everything is working well.

Thanks to npjohnson and x86cpu for keeping my travel device up-to-date. :)
      it was almost all aleasto this cycle!
      Hallo, as there is now an offical LOS 18.1, i am asking here again.

Does encryption and mounting encrypted volume in LOS 18 work now, or is LOS 16 still the last version, were it works?
      I would try myself but doing an upgrade and than downgrade again, if it still doesnt work, is a big hassle.
      Somebody have encryption on and can mount and decrypt the DATA Volume in TWRP?

encryption work very good on 18.1 for lg V20 h910 phone i think other versions work too.. i not know about what is mounting. you mean TWRP? i do OTA update in lieageos 18.1 and it remove twrp and make lineage recovery.. i dont no how i install TWRP again... i cant check... sorry
      maybe make latest available version firmware? maybe 2019... i not know what is last version, my phone vendor security is 2017... how i upgrade to 2018 or 2019 if possible to make? thx :) soryr for bad engglish
      we support the G5/v20/G6 all in one common tree. This means we can use most Oreo blobs (and do) on v20.

But we have to use a few Nougat blobs for the G5 as it never got Oreo.

I'll be updating the vendor date for the v20 to reflect the latest Oreo build, and G5 for Nougat soon.

Bootstacks/firmware will remain whatever you're on. I'm not touching that, as each variant is different and there are too many to account for.