[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Search This thread

dilligaf56

Feb 22, 2011
SoCal, USA
18.1 worked fine on my US996, except for fingerprint sensor, so I did a TWRP backup (was on the 2021-04-29 nightly), then flashed Nougat (10n) KDZ and re-rooted. All good; phone booted into stock rooted Nougat fine. Re-booted to TWRP, wiped, restored my 18.1 setup and Magisk 23.0, then dirty-flashed the 2021-05-13 update. It boots up fine, but I can't unlock the phone (PIN won't work). Is there a default PIN on Lineage? Another way to remove the PIN lock? Or do I have to start over with a clean flash of the new ROM?
Maybe wipe, restore previous setup (2021-04-29) again, remove PIN lock, then dirty flash?

TIA!
Tried the last (wiped, restored /system, /data, and cache from my backup). PIN still doesn't work. Do I need to restore another partition to fix it?

Feb 23, 2021
Hey bro, I just go an H990N. I didn't see anyone follow up on you. Were you able to complete your LOS 18.1 install?
Sadly, i didnt. My lcd screen burn (the flex cable damaged. Its a used phone i bought. Just got the part today. Will assemble & test first). I see u made a guide. I'll follow urs then give my feedback. I never tried gcam tho.

bhupatib

Nov 28, 2011
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I'll share just in case... The easiest way to downgrade to Nougat safely without locking the bootloader is by flashing this modified h918-10u (forgot the original thread, this is my personal copy) in TWRP.

So wipe data+cache+system, flash this, wipe again, optional: update twrp to 3.5.2 (change from zip to img flash method) and flash lineage. For some reason you won't be able to flash magisk at this point so just reboot, install the latest magisk and rename apk to zip and try flashing again. Also, during setup, lineage will ask to update recovery, say no (TWRP is better!). Double check by going to system updater, preference and disable update recovery there as well.

Tried the last (wiped, restored /system, /data, and cache from my backup). PIN still doesn't work. Do I need to restore another partition to fix it?
You may have not had a PIN previously, but it sounds like your backup /data was encrypted. A big headache. You may get access if you can restore the matching partitions, which may include /firmware but most certainly /boot...i don't know. I'd also have TWRP up to 3.5.1_9-0

See this post for a possible solution for you:

Attached here is a .zip I pulled from our V20 forum that may work. I've flashed both from recovery with no issues.

Bottom line:
Any new system >=Oreo with encryption by default, I flash a decryption disabler and check security settings after first boot, and if it's still encrypted: Hard Pass

Attachments

• no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip
    655.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: dilligaf56

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
Sadly, i didnt. My lcd screen burn (the flex cable damaged. Its a used phone i bought. Just got the part today. Will assemble & test first). I see u made a guide. I'll follow urs then give my feedback. I never tried gcam tho

Sadly, i didnt. My lcd screen burn (the flex cable damaged. Its a used phone i bought. Just got the part today. Will assemble & test first). I see u made a guide. I'll follow urs then give my feedback. I never tried gcam tho.
I didn't know gcam needed something else to work that was originally part of gapps. You can either install gapps or this https://github.com/lukaspieper/Gcam-Services-Provider to make gcam work.

dilligaf56

Feb 22, 2011
SoCal, USA
You may have not had a PIN previously, but it sounds like your backup /data was encrypted. A big headache. You may get access if you can restore the matching partitions, which may include /firmware but most certainly /boot...i don't know. I'd also have TWRP up to 3.5.1_9-0

See this post for a possible solution for you:

Attached here is a .zip I pulled from our V20 forum that may work. I've flashed both from recovery with no issues.

Bottom line:
Any new system >=Oreo with encryption by default, I flash a decryption disabler and check security settings after first boot, and if it's still encrypted: Hard Pass

Thanks! Much appreciated! Will take a look at it soon (long thread!).

Luckily, this is my second (backup) US996 phone (my daily driver is still running rooted stock Oreo), so it's not urgent - but I will eventually wind up using the Lineage phone as the primary if everything works well on it.

I had already tried restoring /boot from the backup - no joy.

When I clean-flashed the latest version - all looks good.

Already on TWRP 3.5.1_9-0.

Will try re-restoring my backup and try your .zip file and let you know how it works when I get a chance. WIll be busy for the next couple of days.

Again, many thanks!!

dilligaf56

Feb 22, 2011
SoCal, USA
@ssurell:
Neither one of the .zips was able to unlock my old backup (04-30), but using yours on the latest clean flash DID prevent it from becoming locked - I was able to back up and restore the 05-13 version, with a PIN lock, then unlock it after the restore with no issues. The prior setup (04-30) DID have a PIN in place before being backed up.

SO, it appears that the answer is installing one of the .zip files immediately after clean-flashing a ROM - this prevents the issue.

Thanks again!

Reactions: ssurell

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • I tried different version of TWRP and its now giving me a error 1 when I try to install LIneageOS.
    Means your download was bad - hence why it panicked. Redownload LineageOS/Gapps.
    Can i dirty flash this over unofficial?
    No, it will boot-loop.
    18.1 worked fine on my US996, except for fingerprint sensor, so I did a TWRP backup (was on the 2021-04-29 nightly), then flashed Nougat (10n) KDZ and re-rooted. All good; phone booted into stock rooted Nougat fine. Re-booted to TWRP, wiped, restored my 18.1 setup and Magisk 23.0, then dirty-flashed the 2021-05-13 update. It boots up fine, but I can't unlock the phone (PIN won't work). Is there a default PIN on Lineage? Another way to remove the PIN lock? Or do I have to start over with a clean flash of the new ROM?
    Maybe wipe, restore previous setup (2021-04-29) again, remove PIN lock, then dirty flash?

TIA!
    Just format data and set it back up, all should work fine!

Reactions: dilligaf56

ugoplatamia

May 14, 2021
    What does "Error 1" say, nothing more than error 1?

Are you verifying the sha256 checksum on download?

I verified the checksum after the download is done with 7-Zip's sha256 checksum function. And yeah nothing more than error 1. I can get it to install if I use a higher TWRP version but I get a kernel panic similar to the screenshot I posted earlier.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
  • I verified the checksum after the download is done with 7-Zip's sha256 checksum function. And yeah nothing more than error 1. I can get it to install if I use a higher TWRP version but I get a kernel panic similar to the screenshot I posted earlier.
    what firmware is your device on? What stock ROM was installed before starting?

pavik62

Apr 20, 2011
    Volgograd
    4pda.ru
    Это было на android 7 с патчем октябрь / ноябрь iirc.
    Статус 1 - этот код ошибки произошел из-за того, что были установлены неверные пути монтирования разделов.
    Заходим в папку TWRP. Удалите файл twrp и перезагрузитесь в рекавери. Настроить TWRP. Также перед установкой ПЗУ смонтируйте систему, производитель.
    Вы все еще можете скачать ROM

ugoplatamia

May 14, 2021
    Статус 1 - этот код ошибки произошел из-за того, что были установлены неверные пути монтирования разделов.
    Заходим в папку TWRP. Удалите файл twrp и перезагрузитесь в рекавери. Настроить TWRP. Также перед установкой ПЗУ смонтируйте систему, производитель.
    Вы все еще можете скачать ROM

EN Translation:
    Status 1 - this error code occurred because the wrong partition mount paths were set.
    Go to the TWRP folder. Delete the twrp file and reboot into the recovery. Set up TWRP. Also, before installing the ROM, mount the system, manufacturer.
    You can still download the ROM.

How do I setup TWRP?

aCIDsLAM

Feb 7, 2015
    I have question, which a developer may can answer to me.
    As i mentioned, i am only able to decrypt my crypted data partition in LOS16, when using LOS 17 or 18.1 it wont decrypt and TWRP and is not mountable or i am not able to do a backup.

Now the question. When i have a LOS 18.1 with a crypted data partition and i dirty flash over the system partiton with an LOS 16 image and reboot into recovery, i can mount and decrpt the same data partiton in TWRP, which i could when having a LOS 18.1 system image on the phone.
    What does this say to me. Are there files in LOS 18.1 missing, which prevents encryption or is it a TWRP issue?
    This behaivor is kinda strange and i normally wouldnt expect that.

Under 18.1 i get the info, some files under system/data/vold are missing?!

Gorilla Daddy

Aug 6, 2018
    unless it's google cast, it won't ever, google killed that feature in AOSP.
    Hi, the last official versions of 17.1 Lineage Miracast started working. There is a Qualcomm WFD driver included with LineageOS 18 official for LG V20. Can we find whomever got wireless display working on 17.1? He'd probably be able to fix whatever isn't working with that on Lineage 18.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Ah, a signature spoofing solution. https://lineage.microg.org/
      @npjohnson

I finally got my bootloader unlocked and was able to flash recovery.

Flashing the lineage-18.1-20210527-recovery-h918.img resulted in just a screen full of static.
      So I flashed a copy of TWRP, which worked.

From TWRP I tried to do an ADB Sideload of lineage-18.1-20210527-nightly-h918-signed.zip and got an error that "This package is for device: h918, elsa, h815" - Can you check if there was a typo and that 815 should be a 915?

Cheers,

Jon
      OOF - Fixed, next build will have it fixed!
      I had some kernel panics since I switched to MindTheGapps...I used Nikgapps before and all worked fine, except for GPS lock issues...thats why I thought I should switch to MTG.
      Something crashes my SD-card regularly, too. Related to kernel panics. Have to reformat the SD-card each time.
      I'm considering a format and clean install with Nikgapps...or should I wait for OpenGapps 11 Pico??

PS: I don't use Telegram...is that Gamma Kernel file anywhere else to find? Thanks!
      IMG_0478.JPG

Any clue? What does this mean? Thanks a lot!!
      PS: I checked the SD card already several times, also it was freshly formatted. Happens when I'm copying/accessing files.
      I have an issue on my friends phone. (H990DS)

after trying to install this, and after booting the phone for the first time and during the setup, it asked for the password! like the phone new that rom has changed and it is not a clean setup!!! I wiped everything and installed this. can you help me what is the fix?!?!

I mean how can I make a clean slate?!
      not dirty flash!

TWRP wipes, then install from memory. what else? what am I missing?!
      lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
      - Your warranty is now void.
      - You have been warned.
      - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
      This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
      Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
      If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
      • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
      • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
      Notes:
      • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
      Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
      Спасибо за новую версию ОС Android Linegae!
      В настоящее время я использую Lineage OS 17.1, нужно ли мне вернуться к стандартной прошивке LG перед прошивкой этого ПЗУ?
      Нет. Но нужно удалить гаппсы 17.1. Протрите систему.
      On 04-01, I updated to TWRP 3.5.1 and did a clean install of this ROM (04-01). I wiped & formatted, after making a copy of my internal storage to a PC. The install went great. I reinstalled my apps and then flashed Magisk 22.0. Everything I tried worked well (BT, GPS, quad DAC).

Today, I updated to TWRP 3.5.2 and Magisk 22.1. Then, I dirty flashed the 04-15 nightly. Magisk patched new boot.img automatically and everything is working well.

Thanks to npjohnson and x86cpu for keeping my travel device up-to-date. :)
      it was almost all aleasto this cycle!
      Hallo, as there is now an offical LOS 18.1, i am asking here again.

Does encryption and mounting encrypted volume in LOS 18 work now, or is LOS 16 still the last version, were it works?
      I would try myself but doing an upgrade and than downgrade again, if it still doesnt work, is a big hassle.
      Somebody have encryption on and can mount and decrypt the DATA Volume in TWRP?

encryption work very good on 18.1 for lg V20 h910 phone i think other versions work too.. i not know about what is mounting. you mean TWRP? i do OTA update in lieageos 18.1 and it remove twrp and make lineage recovery.. i dont no how i install TWRP again... i cant check... sorry
      maybe make latest available version firmware? maybe 2019... i not know what is last version, my phone vendor security is 2017... how i upgrade to 2018 or 2019 if possible to make? thx :) soryr for bad engglish
      we support the G5/v20/G6 all in one common tree. This means we can use most Oreo blobs (and do) on v20.

But we have to use a few Nougat blobs for the G5 as it never got Oreo.

I'll be updating the vendor date for the v20 to reflect the latest Oreo build, and G5 for Nougat soon.

Bootstacks/firmware will remain whatever you're on. I'm not touching that, as each variant is different and there are too many to account for.