[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the LG V20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
Oddly enough you need the really old versions of twrp. I forgot the exact version but it would've been bundled with your root guide. From there, format data and reboot.
thanks a lot! so i need to wipe again.... yikes....

one last question for time being, if the device is already bootloader unlocked (which I think so bcs otherwise the seller couldn't have flash h910 rom on it), is it possible to revert to stock and keep the unlocked bootloader? is flashing a stock kdz ok? or if there is anyway to check?

then with unlocked bootloader i can still install twrp and los?

thx alot guys.

xxseva44

May 16, 2019
Canada
LG V20
Google Pixel 4a 5G
thanks a lot! so i need to wipe again.... yikes....

one last question for time being, if the device is already bootloader unlocked (which I think so bcs otherwise the seller couldn't have flash h910 rom on it), is it possible to revert to stock and keep the unlocked bootloader? is flashing a stock kdz ok? or if there is anyway to check?

then with unlocked bootloader i can still install twrp and los?

thx alot guys.
Well if you want to be on stock, just dont flash a rom on top and flash the patched kernel which would've been with your guide. If they didn't link one, use mk2000. You should already have twrp. Do not flash a kdz, you're basically restoring the software on the phone. If you want stock, use alpha omega, weta, etc, theres a post on the v20 thread which has them linked. And you can use los with the unlocked bootloader.

Reactions: nostupidthing

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
Well if you want to be on stock, just dont flash a rom on top and flash the patched kernel which would've been with your guide. If they didn't link one, use mk2000. You should already have twrp. Do not flash a kdz, you're basically restoring the software on the phone. If you want stock, use alpha omega, weta, etc, theres a post on the v20 thread which has them linked. And you can use los with the unlocked bootloader.
thx a lot

what im thinking is that if i have unlock bootloader then it will be nice to get rid of the red logo during boot right?

but then i just remember, usually bootloader unlock will still give you some kind of warning anyway, so that's a wash.

so probably i'm going to stick with it and just flash los h910

i prefer los to stock

thx!!!

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
umm i just flash back to twrp-3.0.2-1-us996 and format data, then update twrp and install los, then encrypt and set pin

but still cannot decrypt in twrp....

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
ok, i need rest and here is the outstanding issues

1. encrypted phone cannot be decrypted in twrp (tried old and new twrp)
2. wifi unstable
3. gpu driver outdated (cannot run filmic pro)

cheers.

Last edited:

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
hi
Same issue with our h910 on current LOS release. I have tried several baseband versions from android 7 but no change. This issue is when WiFi is off or not connected. LTE signal from tower is 4 bars. Speed test is blazing fast. But all apps come to a halt and can't get data to work correct.

Phone calls OK. APN settings OK. I am at a loss as to why data speed test is great but apps not getting data from internet. Yes once in a while they work sporadically but its hit and miss.

Location works using GPS navigating app that has maps saved on phone.
is it ok if we get some logcats for devs to see?

my wifi is working very spordic here... i use wifi mainly, put my phone in airplane mode and enable wifi, but it keeps disconnecting and re-connecting. tried several modem, no improvement...

npjohnson

Recognized Developer

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
sure... i'm switching back to h910-10r modem for now and see how it goes.

@AShiningRay can you do for the modem? I'll file one for decrypt and gpu driver

TWRP decrypt fail: https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/4335
GPU driver outdated: https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/4336
Actually, the modem also isn't handled by lineage nor TWRP, that's on a different partition and relies on the firmware, and is also a proprietary blob that we can't develop directly on, so filing an issue for it doesn't make much sense unless it was for finding a way to circumvent the Wi-Fi/SIM problems, but i hardly think that's caused by lineage code. The only way of "fixing" those, if possible, is by testing lots of modem versions then making a knowledge base about them here on xda, and we also need to take into account the multiple phone variants.

Mine is a h910 and i don't face those connection problems with the modem currently on it for example, but i only tested on 2.4GHz. I'm also on LOS, but that's a custom build that we're using to test the 4.4 kernel, so it isn't exactly the same device tree that's on the official builds.

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
Actually, the modem also isn't handled by lineage nor TWRP, that's on a different partition and relies on the firmware, and is also a proprietary blob that we can't develop directly on, so filing an issue for it doesn't make much sense unless it was for finding a way to circumvent the Wi-Fi/SIM problems, but i hardly think that's caused by lineage code. The only way of "fixing" those, if possible, is by testing lots of modem versions then making a knowledge base about them here on xda, and we also need to take into account the multiple phone variants.

Mine is a h910 and i don't face those connection problems with the modem currently on it for example, but i only tested on 2.4GHz. I'm also on LOS, but that's a custom build that we're using to test the 4.4 kernel, so it isn't exactly the same device tree that's on the official builds.
but on stock it's no problem so i think it's some interaction between kernel and firmware, we may pick one firmware and work on it?

@A.Whit what do u think?

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
but on stock it's no problem so i think it's some interaction between kernel and firmware, we may pick one firmware and work on it?

@A.Whit what do u think?
It works on stock, and that's exactly the problem. We can deal with the phone's rom and kernel sides, but the firmware is a proprietary blackbox that we have no actual access to, unlike LG with their stock rom to which the firmware was tailor-made to. We can only send things in so that it can send results out, we don't know what it does with the interface code we have on the rom and kernel any deeper than surface level, and surely we can't simply brute-force our way through by testing every possible combination of blobs/kernel configs/firmware version, etc. About using a specific firmware and working around it... that's kinda what @npjohnson is doing by recommending that people use the nougat firmwares on the first few posts. They're the ones that are known to work the best until now, and those proprietary files are also the reason we still don't (and likely will never have) VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling on the V20's custom roms unless a genius manages to reverse-engineer the frameworks in a way that allows them to work on customs.

I mean, maybe there's a decrypted and "tweakable" firmware out there, but if there is one, i didn't find it yet and messing with those things isn't exactly legal, so the most we can do is work around the firmware with the tools we have, and that's what we're doing.

But here's the thing: Most of my knowledge is on the kernel side of things, if anyone more knowledgeable than me, especially with roms can clear some things up, i'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:

nostupidthing

Nov 1, 2012
It works on stock, and that's exactly the problem. We can deal with the phone's rom and kernel sides, but the firmware is a proprietary blackbox that we have no actual access to, unlike LG with their stock rom to which the firmware was tailor-made to. We can only send things in so that it can send results out, we don't know what it does with the interface code we have on the rom and kernel any deeper than surface level, and surely we can't simply brute-force our way through by testing every possible combination of blobs/kernel configs/firmware version, etc. About using a specific firmware and working around it... that's kinda what @npjohnson is doing by recommending that people use the nougat firmwares on the first few posts. They're the ones that are known to work the best until now, and those proprietary files are also the reason we still don't (and likely will never have) VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling on the V20's custom roms unless a genius manages to reverse-engineer the frameworks in a way that allows them to work on customs.

I mean, maybe there's a decrypted and "tweakable" firmware out there, but if there is one, i didn't find it yet and messing with those things isn't exactly legal, so the most we can do is work around the firmware with the tools we have, and that's what we're doing.

But here's the thing: Most of my knowledge is on the kernel side of things, if anyone more knowledgeable than me, especially with roms can clear some things up, i'd really appreciate it.
thx!

1. right now h910-10r modem seems to be okish for my wifi only use. not perfect but not too bad...
2. gpu driver await dev to fix thx
3. twrp seems i'm not the only one... https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_lge_h990/issues

AShiningRay

Sep 1, 2021
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
LG V20
umm.... i may have found the culprit... my 2 h910 seem to be generating the same randomized mac addresses nd so when they're both on they keep disconnecting the other from the wifi network....

their device mac are different so i have no idea why they keep generating the same randomized mac address

any idea?

right now, both devices use this randomized mac address D0:13:FD:41:AE:6C, and I cannot find anyway to disable randomization.......
Isn't there a developer option for that? I'm currently on my Redmi Note 4X (My V20 is on a barebones Lighthouse ROM for the time being), and it's LOS18.1 has a "WI-Fi-enhanced MAC randomisation" option in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

LG V20

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the LG V20.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • IMS (VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling) doesn't work due to framework tie-ins used by the LG proprietary binaries.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_lge_msm8996
    Okay, I just merged a literal TON of changes for LGE 8996, please watch for regressions - display should be much more smooth with less artifacting.

Also, 19.1/20 are in the (long term) works for this set of devices, as the 4.4 kernel port is finally mature enough to use.
    Or don't.

This is a Lineage thread.

Just use it for that. Go elsewhere for other stuff.
    ***Moderator Announcement***

Remember that the developers who make XDA their home are some of our most valuable resources. Treat them with respect. Don't demand support for external projects; developers are not obligated to share or support anything beyond their own prerogative.

Further, remember that you are entitled to absolutely NOTHING. Our developers work for free, and therefore owe you NOTHING.

Lastly, keep posts ON TOPIC. Do not promote anything external to the subject matter of the thread, and do not derail the thread into arguments.

This thread is ONLY for LineageOS 18.1 on the LG V20. If you have questions regarding TWRP, take them to the TWRP thread. Sames goes for SHRP or any other project. The developer has made this clear.
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-h910-h918-us996-h990-vs996-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Yeah, considering h910/h918 are near identical, makes sense that they both suffer.

By your own statement, you're an engineer, and should be able to discern based on the info you gave me that it is _not_ an issue with the "Snap Camera apk", instead that we are using compressed audio path, and clearly it isn't processing right (likely a codec issue like I mentioned several posts ago). We could swap it to unprocessed mic input, but that will be garbled and awful - only using that as a last resort as opposed to actually fixing the compressed audio route.

As for the insults launched - k, stop using lineage then. I literally have not a care in the world whether you use it. I'm doing hard work for free, which, as an engineer, you should understand is often thankless, and your naggy/attacking comments only make me want to never touch the device again :)

I'll be looking at it sometime this week, but for everyone else on this thread who has been kind and supportive lol.
    On my LG v20 H910 with LOS 18.1 lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-h910-signed.zip
    (nothing else installed, no gapps, no mods, no root, etc...) the "LOS SNAP CAMERA" VIDEO record sound volume is almost 0%

SAME ISSUE ON Lg v20 H918 !!!!!!! I have that phone also.

After days of research and playing with mixer_paths_tasha.xml settings I gave up..... PROBLEM VERIFIED: its a LOS snap camera apk issue.

Then I installed ROM [android 11] UNOFFICIAL SuperiorOS-Xcalibur

https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-h910-h918-us996-h990-vs996-11-unofficial-superioros-xcalibur.4248255/

COMING FROM LINEAGE/RR:

1. Boot into twrp
    2. Do a regular wipe (not format)
    3. Flash Superior zip
    4. Flash magisk (optional but recommended)
    5. Wipe dalvik
    6. Reboot

CAMERA VIEDO WORKS PERFECT !!!!
    PERFECT SOUND !!!

To LOS maintainers: Fix the LOS SNAP CAMERA apk or quit screwing around with programming android ROMs. Simple as that. I am a MSEE engineering manager and if I cant do my job right I don't do it at all.

The LOS snap camera has been broken for a very long time (years) and many people have had to use GCAM or Open Camera and all these people including myself are sick that LOS maintainers can't fix a simple but very important apk in LOS (CAMERA video sound issue). This is well documented all over LOS wiki and github etc.....

"Hi @npjohnson
    Open Camera (and BSG GCam 8.1) uses unprocessed-mic by default to get audio while recording video."

I am done with LOS until this is fixed. YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME
    Maybe you should go back to stock? You do realize we do this for free and on our own time? If there are any issues we try to fix them ASAP but with your comments I doubt @npjohnson is going to want to support the device anymore. If there is any issue I would recommend reporting it in a less-hostile way and it might be a simple fix rather than insulting the primary dev for LOS on the device who may now not want to support the device anymore...