• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Moto G7 Plus

Search This thread

berkely

Dec 15, 2012
Small question, your screen on time on lineage OS 18.1 on this Moto G7 plus is about...?
I think I roughly loose 20% battery per hour SoT it seems.

fankool

Today I've installed last build, (23rd nov). After that, as usual, I installed twrp and then magisk. Everything's fine on twrp, then I installed magisk.apk (strange, I didn't remember in the past I installed also magisk.apk) but at start it replies "no root access" for magisk app.
Maybe the problem is related with hiding of magisk (I set it to use a bank application)? At the moment I haven't root access on my phone.
Ramdisk: yes
SAR: yes
Update: I've just read on magisk website "RESTORE THE EXISTING MAGISK MANAGER BACK TO NORMAL BEFORE UPGRADING IF HIDDEN!"
Well, and now? I noticed the apps on the phone was still using root, so just the manager was not working. I remembered the magisk manager was renamed "settings" when I hid it, I just removed that app and everything worked again.

Last edited:

jvergara65

Dec 2, 2021
Hi all,
I followed all the steps from https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/lake/install for my Moto G7 Plus as of 11/30/21

But when rebooting the cell phone, it is stuck in the Lineage logo.

Can somebody help me debug what is going on with this?

the only error I have seen is:

E: Failed to bind mount /mnt/staging/emulated/media/0 to /storage/emulated: No such file or directory

Thanks

Juan C

Last edited:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Hi all,
I followed all the steps from https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/lake/install for my Moto G7 Plus as of 11/30/21

But when rebooting the cell phone, it is stuck in the Lineage logo.

Can somebody help me debug what is going on with this?

the only error I have seen is:

E: Failed to bind mount /mnt/staging/emulated/media/0 to /storage/emulated: No such file or directory

Thanks

Juan C
did you follow the steps exactly and format userdata?

Also, were you running the latest Android 10 firmware when you started?

jvergara65

Dec 2, 2021
did you follow the steps exactly and format userdata?

Also, were you running the latest Android 10 firmware when you started?
Thanks for your reply.

I followed every step in the guide with no issues at all.

And phone is registered with Cricket wireless so I don't know if it was running Android 10 or 9 to tell you the truth.

At least in the Lineage OS to install 18.1 does not say that you should be running Android 10 if I recall

thanks

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Thanks for your reply.

I followed every step in the guide with no issues at all.

And phone is registered with Cricket wireless so I don't know if it was running Android 10 or 9 to tell you the truth.

At least in the Lineage OS to install 18.1 does not say that you should be running Android 10 if I recall

thanks
Try flashing stock Android 10 and starting from there.

figg2blet

Mar 27, 2015
Hello, I have a french sim card and I tried to install several times Lineage 18, data cell phone never worked, no 4g neither LTE, what's the problem with french network?
Does anyone get same problem?
Thank you!

figg2blet

Mar 27, 2015
No on bouygues. Never found correct network settings (Lte,wcdma,umts etc...) I've seen several answers like choosing manual network connection instead of automatic, not working.
Same with other custom rom, no data. Only with stock rom. Don't get it 😒

koimr

Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
No on bouygues. Never found correct network settings (Lte,wcdma,umts etc...) I've seen several answers like choosing manual network connection instead of automatic, not working.
Is your APN set correctly when on Lineage?

rrab

Dec 3, 2021
From Amazon.com: the XT1965-T, aka "T-Mobile Revelry+", aka "lake".
Wanted to share my success installing the latest LineageOS 18.1 release today, an hourish after receiving this new G7 Plus. I used the LineageOS wiki install instructions for "lake" and everything went well.

It'd be nice if the install instructions could mention:
- Using a USB 2.0 port to connect your phone. Sometimes a hub interferes, sometimes one makes it work.
- Installing SIM card into G7 before booting into stock OS to activate phone with carrier
- Enabling developer options and the OEM unlock option under developer options
- Enabling Wifi and connecting to the internet if the above options are unavailable
I'm considering cloning the Lineage wiki git repo and adding a couple notes.

The distilled steps to load LineageOS:
1) Bootloader unlock via Motorola website
2) Flash Lineage recovery image
3) Reboot into recovery, adb sideload copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip
4) Reboot into recovery, adb sideload lineage-18.1-20211207-nightly-lake-signed.zip
5) Reboot into recovery, adb sideload MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210920_084011.zip
6) Reboot and enjoy

Case that is easily modified with an X-Acto knife to fit this phone (most G7 Plus cases do not fit): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KX9CJ9C/

Wireless charging adapter that doesn't interfere with the fingerprint sensor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5FDXD4/

Last edited:
Reactions: koimr

versus004

Dec 16, 2012
Moto G7 Plus
Redmi Note 10S
Did you tried to manually enter the parameters for bouygues data within the APN screen ?

I had the same issue with Free mobile and it solved it.

figg2blet

Mar 27, 2015
Did you tried to manually enter the parameters for bouygues data within the APN screen ?

I had the same issue with Free mobile and it solved it.
Thanks for answer Actually I did choose manual apn settings but did not changed anything within. You are maybe right, Bouygues should have different settings than the default one. I will check that. Thank you again.

kasth

Sep 28, 2015
Juiz de Fora
After try a couple roms in the past i stayed with Mokee till now. How good is the battery and performance nowdays with this rom? Thanks!

retry0001-coffee

Oct 21, 2019
I've noticed with this particular device that it doesn't roam well. Even with settings to allow roaming including data roaming enabled, it will often fail to roam on its own. But if you reboot it, it will. Then the same problem occurs when you come back into range of your carrier. It will fail to do so, but a reboot fixes it. Example: I just came back from a road trip where I was out of range of my carrier (Tmobile). The phone lost all signal but my other device, a OnePlus 6T, was roaming fine - -full LTE. Rebooted at the hotel and the G7 instantly got LTE signal back. Then when I got home, it was stuck on 3G rather than Tmob LTE. Again, rebooting fixed it. This keeps happening to me when I leave Tmobile areas.

Has anybody else experienced similar? Is this a bug? Is there a mitigation? Maybe I just have to adjust some setting? I haven't changed the network profile settings from the stock default.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I've noticed with this particular device that it doesn't roam well. Even with settings to allow roaming including data roaming enabled, it will often fail to roam on its own. But if you reboot it, it will. Then the same problem occurs when you come back into range of your carrier. It will fail to do so, but a reboot fixes it. Example: I just came back from a road trip where I was out of range of my carrier (Tmobile). The phone lost all signal but my other device, a OnePlus 6T, was roaming fine - -full LTE. Rebooted at the hotel and the G7 instantly got LTE signal back. Then when I got home, it was stuck on 3G rather than Tmob LTE. Again, rebooting fixed it. This keeps happening to me when I leave Tmobile areas.

Has anybody else experienced similar? Is this a bug? Is there a mitigation? Maybe I just have to adjust some setting? I haven't changed the network profile settings from the stock default.
We don't change anything modem side, so not really?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Moto G7 Plus

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Moto G7 Plus.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_msm8998
    nope - you can try magisk but I doubt it'll work.

Yes, you can OTA just fine!
    I was able to make Google Pay work and SafetyNet pass just fine
    Online Updates: 18.1 XT1965-2
    Always reverts to Lineageos Recovery. Necessary to reinstall Twrp and Magisk. Any way around this ??
    Nope, Lineage Recovery should be used on this device. Magisk will persist if you use the Updater app.
    Try switching off "update recovery" in the updater options.
    Can't do that here, we're A/B. It will tell you you can't do that if you try.
    Hi,
    For many builds now my phone doesn't recognize the sim card after a reboot or an update- tray needs to be pulled out on each occasion. I've tried everything so far... Anyone else?

@npjohnson

I've seen this reported for moto g7 play and power, fixed two or one build back... Is this something that you can look at for the next update please?
    Or maybe you can advise on a possible update of non-hlos.bin or such I should perform myself? Thanks in advance!
    Nope, issue doesn't exist for us, that was a typo on 632-common, we use 660-common, my TMO SIM is still fine.
    Thank you for your suggestion koimr, I found out that the port of Moto Cam 2 that worked on my previous OS was made by Nemesis. So I looked for a version for Moto G7+ compatible with Android 11. Here it is https://sourceforge.net/projects/nemesisteam/files/MODs/Moto-Camera-2/List-N2/Android-11/ARM-64/ . I installed it via TWRP and it worked!

I've made some test shots with three cameras: Moto Cam 2, Pixel GCam you suggested and Open Cam. Moto Cam (which now does not offer a switch of HDR) and GCam (with HDR+ activated) give pretty close results in day light. Moto tends to render darker and punchier dark areas while GCam extends DRO for them so that shots get less contrasty and less colorful. Besides Moto files are 15-20% heavier than those by GCam, I think for keeping more color info in darker parts. Open Camera with HDR activated is another story. Sometimes it gives a pretty well balanced image while sometimes a lollypop HDR effect is too strong. In low light Open Camera renders too grainy image. My previous experience with Moto was positive. I could compare it to GCam later.

As for daylight shots, I attach unedited samples of two scenes. In both cases first comes Moto Cam 2 (default settings), then GCam (HDR+) and third Open Camera (HDR). You can see the variation.

There was a shocking moment in the first experience of GCam. I discovered that if you switch off the HDR+ mode, the app uses the second front camera, and you just have no choice to change it. I am unaware if this happens only with G7+ or it's a general feature. I tend to say it's a shame, as the image is limited to 1920 at its large side, and the quality of the oversharpened image is simply ridiculous. Welcome back to 1998. The last shot attached is an unedited GCam shot taken this way, with HDR+ off. I wonder if that could be fixed someway for G7+.
    I'll attach some examples that I shot with it, you can take extremely detailed pictures with both back and front cameras.
    Hi guys,
    anyone knows if it's possible to change the default camera app? As you probably discovered, on Android 11 is not possible to set a different default application for camera. For example, if you want to take a picture from an app like sports tracker you must use motorola app. Any possibility to change the original app, setting open camera or another?
    Could it be possible to substitute the original app before compiling the rom?
    In 18.1, you can change the default camera app just fine. If you install one, and double click power button, it will ask you which camera app to use, and if it should be default.