• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 for the Moto G7 Plus

Search This thread

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Not sure about a major diffference in battery usage between Stock G7 rom and 18.1 yet.

I am getting about 10% reduction in battery charge on standby mode overnight (airplane mode) which was the same as before.
As for active screen use, still too early for me to tell on 18.1 to see if there has been a significant reduction in battery life during use.
I seemed to burn through my battery the first day a bit but I was doing a heck of a lot. I need more time to gather battery metrics
It sucked my battery down by almost 20% overnight. That is totally unacceptable. So I gave up on Lineage and switched to another ROM. 3% overnight which is a vast improvement. And it uses a lot less memory and storage space.

papperlapapp

Nov 23, 2013
Hi there,
I can´t get a WPA3-personal secured connection with my G7 Plus.

I now found out, with the G7 Plus you can only get WPA3-Enterprise, but WPA3-Personal seems to be not available on that device with LineageOS.

Can someone confirm this guess?

Last edited:

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
Hi there,
I can´t get a WPA3-personal secured connection with my G7 Plus.

I now found out, with the G7 Plus you can only get WPA3-Enterprise, but WPA3-Personal seems to be not available on that device with LineageOS.

Can someone confirm this guess?
I can't say for Lineage but I am on Nusantara 3.0 ROM which is AOSP based and I have a WPA3-Personal connection.

Hi folks,

Newbie here. If this isn't the right place to be posting I apologize and ask that I be directed to the correct location:

Just picked up a G7 Plus and attempting to following the instructions exactly as shown here: Here, the wiki

I have an unlocked bootloader and get to the step that asks me to temporarily boot a custom recovery. I enter the following command

fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-20210622-recovery-lake.img

and get this error:

fastboot: error: Failed to identify current slot

Any advice would be appreciated!

Update 7/8/21: I tried 5 different cables and 6 ports on two different PCs with no luck so far. I am wondering if it might be a driver issue of some kind. I've heard a rumor that this is mostly a problem on windows machines, might try it on a linux rig next.

Update 7/6/21: Looks like the issue is my usb port / usb cable. I tried all of the ports and cables on my regular laptop, no luck with those. Going to buy a few more cables and try on a different PC as well. Does anyone know if the problem has to do with using USB 2.x vs 3.x?
I just set up another G7 plus for a friend and ran into this. Problem was an older version of fastboot I was using. Make sure you update to the latest. Older version worked when I set up my first one, but there must be something updated since that causes issues with the old version.

koimr

Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
Update 7/8/21: I tried 5 different cables and 6 ports on two different PCs with no luck so far. I am wondering if it might be a driver issue of some kind. I've heard a rumor that this is mostly a problem on windows machines, might try it on a linux rig next.

Update 7/6/21: Looks like the issue is my usb port / usb cable. I tried all of the ports and cables on my regular laptop, no luck with those. Going to buy a few more cables and try on a different PC as well. Does anyone know if the problem has to do with using USB 2.x vs 3.x?
Sorry, just noticed your edits now!

Make sure you are using the absolute latest ADB/Fastboot tools and USB driver.

For 2 vs 3, I have heard both. I have even seen someone solve it by sticking a USB hub in and connecting to that instead.

ShadowPhone1

Jul 4, 2021
Sorry, just noticed your edits now!

Make sure you are using the absolute latest ADB/Fastboot tools and USB driver.

For 2 vs 3, I have heard both. I have even seen someone solve it by sticking a USB hub in and connecting to that instead.
Thanks! I swapped to a Mac and the process took 5 minutes. Amazing. Everything is running smoothly now.

Z-Prime

Apr 17, 2017
hmm... did you find any better? Or returned to stock?

Ok been running this for a while and am seeing a 10% loss overnight in standby airplane mode which is identical to stock rom (average 9-10%) on my device for the same. I can't say im seeing any greater battery hit with the device and it seems on par to the stock rom for me. How are you getting 3% loss overnight I can't imagine. Even my old G4 play used to lose about 15% overnight on standby airplane mode.

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
hmm... did you find any better? Or returned to stock?
I'm running Nusantra Project Version 3.0. It has the June security update but I'm not overly concerned with that since I run Norton 360 with Lifelock on all of my devices. Battery life is great and it has many nice customize features available. I get anywhere from 2 to 3 days battery life depending on how much browsing and music streaming I do. It isn't available in XDA that I am aware. I found it through Telegram.

thornor1

Jul 27, 2021
Moto G7 Plus
Hi Gang,

New to LineageOS ROM but very interested in installing on my Moto G7 Plus (bought it for this reason)

I am super tech savvy with computers but pretty limited in tech stuff with cell phones. other than strong ap and user skills.

How do I approach a beginner Start to finish process.?

I don't know all the lingo and sometimes instructions assume more knowledge than I seem to have.

koimr

Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
Hi Gang,

New to LineageOS ROM but very interested in installing on my Moto G7 Plus (bought it for this reason)

I am super tech savvy with computers but pretty limited in tech stuff with cell phones. other than strong ap and user skills.

How do I approach a beginner Start to finish process.?

I don't know all the lingo and sometimes instructions assume more knowledge than I seem to have.
The LineageOS wiki for our device has pretty good instructions:

Install LineageOS on lake

maciocho

Oct 15, 2013
Wrocław
Hi All!

Did you notice when opening phone app using dark theme that the graphic transition starts with a white ugly stripe on top? Not 100% sure but I think it's since two last builds...

blarrgh1

Jun 25, 2020
Is there any way to format the SD card as extra phone storage? That option is greyed out for me and I can only select 'Portable storage'. My old Moto G5 on Lineage is able to do that, why isn't this phone able?

xdantor

Aug 9, 2021
First time LineageOS user here on Moto G7 Plus (lake). Please bear with me if I am making any obvious mistakes. I attempt to follow the wiki page with installation instructions, to the letter. I used Search on these most helpful forums. I did not manage to find the missing piece of information and unfortunately I am somehow stuck. Here's what I did.

Downloaded ADB yesterday so should be the latest and greatest (included source.properties text file says it is version 31.0.3). USB drivers from Motorola, also latest. Bootloader on the phone is unlocked. Phone is connected to my PC through USB. USB debugging enabled. I downloaded the latest recovery for lake (lineage-18.1-20210810-recovery-lake.img). Rebooted into fastboot mode. I can tell fastboot sees my phone (fastboot devices). Now the next step according to the wiki page for lake should be :
5. Temporarily flash a recovery on your device by typing: (etc)

So I typed the full command and keep getting this result:

Code:
V:\adb_fastboot\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-20210810-recovery-lake.img
(bootloader) is-logical:boot_b: not found
Sending 'boot_b' (23069 KB)                        OKAY [  0.517s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   (bootloader) Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote: '')
fastboot: error: Command failed

Stuck here, no idea what I am missing. Any suggestions on how to proceed are most welcome.

koimr

Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
Code:
V:\adb_fastboot\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-20210810-recovery-lake.img
(bootloader) is-logical:boot_b: not found
Sending 'boot_b' (23069 KB)                        OKAY [  0.517s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   (bootloader) Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote: '')
fastboot: error: Command failed

Stuck here, no idea what I am missing. Any suggestions on how to proceed are most welcome.
I don't have an answer for you, and hopefully someone else smarter does, but I've always used TWRP for installing ROMs, including Lineage. I also omit the "flash" part of the above command.

Reactions: xdantor

xdantor

Aug 9, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I went through things again. It turns out that unlocking the bootloader involves a few extra steps. First I had to toggle "OEM unlocking" in the Android Settings > Developer Options. Then I had to perform the fastboot unlock command twice . Note how it says to do so in the response to the first oem unlock command, where it says "Please re-run this command to confirm" see below:

Code:
V:\adb_fastboot\platform-tools>fastboot oem unlock ***my*unlock*key*here***
(bootloader) ***************************************
(bootloader) WARNING: This command erases user data!
(bootloader) WARNING: This command voids warranty!
(bootloader) Please re-run this command to confirm.
(bootloader) ***************************************
OKAY [  0.029s]
Finished. Total time: 0.029s

V:\adb_fastboot\platform-tools>fastboot oem unlock ***my*unlock*key*here***
(bootloader) Bootloader is unlocked!
OKAY [  0.765s]
Finished. Total time: 0.765s

After that I was able to flash the recovery ROM and proceed. Bare bone LineageOS has now been installed on my phone for the very first time. I hope the above may help future new users like myself. It might deserve to be added to the wiki page for installing this on a lake device - to be determined by the more knowledgable.

Don't be shy, give it a try - even a complete noob like me got it done.

Reactions: koimr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I want to share my experience installing lineage, how I solved my troubles with the syncronization of address book from google account.
    Before android 11, installing lineage or any other rom without google apps I used to install gapps aroma, to have the possibility to choose what install.
    On android 11 there isn't aroma installer, so I moved to NikGapps (where is possible to choose what to install) but I missed the possibility to sync my address book.
    The solution was to manually download google sync adapter (I downloaded from apkmirror https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...sync/google-contacts-sync-11-6684105-release/ ) and -very important- install it as system app (just copying the apk to /system/app). Then, fixing some permission on trust, everything worked again.
    lineage-os-logo.png

Moto G7 Plus

Code:
    - Your warranty is now void.
    - You have been warned.
    - Use at your own risk.

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 18.1 thread for the Moto G7 Plus.

Downloads:
    Please follow the install instructions in your device's Wiki page linked below exactly, and make sure your device's firmware matches the required firmware listed.
    If you don't follow these instructions, or use 3rd party add-ons (like Magisk) please don't expect support here.

Known Bugs:
    • None.
    • Find any? Report them according to this guide.
    Notes:
    • The only supported GApps package at the moment is MindTheGapps, linked on our Wiki page about gapps.
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_msm8998
    Here it is, put the Config folder inside the GCam folder on storage root.
    To select the XML Config file inside the Hypercam, just click twice on the empty space between the shooter button and last taken photo.
    Online Updates: 18.1 XT1965-2
    Always reverts to Lineageos Recovery. Necessary to reinstall Twrp and Magisk. Any way around this ??
    Nope, Lineage Recovery should be used on this device. Magisk will persist if you use the Updater app.
    Try switching off "update recovery" in the updater options.
    Can't do that here, we're A/B. It will tell you you can't do that if you try.
    Hi,
    For many builds now my phone doesn't recognize the sim card after a reboot or an update- tray needs to be pulled out on each occasion. I've tried everything so far... Anyone else?

@npjohnson

I've seen this reported for moto g7 play and power, fixed two or one build back... Is this something that you can look at for the next update please?
    Or maybe you can advise on a possible update of non-hlos.bin or such I should perform myself? Thanks in advance!
    Nope, issue doesn't exist for us, that was a typo on 632-common, we use 660-common, my TMO SIM is still fine.
    nope - you can try magisk but I doubt it'll work.

Yes, you can OTA just fine!
    I was able to make Google Pay work and SafetyNet pass just fine
    Thank you for your suggestion koimr, I found out that the port of Moto Cam 2 that worked on my previous OS was made by Nemesis. So I looked for a version for Moto G7+ compatible with Android 11. Here it is https://sourceforge.net/projects/nemesisteam/files/MODs/Moto-Camera-2/List-N2/Android-11/ARM-64/ . I installed it via TWRP and it worked!

I've made some test shots with three cameras: Moto Cam 2, Pixel GCam you suggested and Open Cam. Moto Cam (which now does not offer a switch of HDR) and GCam (with HDR+ activated) give pretty close results in day light. Moto tends to render darker and punchier dark areas while GCam extends DRO for them so that shots get less contrasty and less colorful. Besides Moto files are 15-20% heavier than those by GCam, I think for keeping more color info in darker parts. Open Camera with HDR activated is another story. Sometimes it gives a pretty well balanced image while sometimes a lollypop HDR effect is too strong. In low light Open Camera renders too grainy image. My previous experience with Moto was positive. I could compare it to GCam later.

As for daylight shots, I attach unedited samples of two scenes. In both cases first comes Moto Cam 2 (default settings), then GCam (HDR+) and third Open Camera (HDR). You can see the variation.

There was a shocking moment in the first experience of GCam. I discovered that if you switch off the HDR+ mode, the app uses the second front camera, and you just have no choice to change it. I am unaware if this happens only with G7+ or it's a general feature. I tend to say it's a shame, as the image is limited to 1920 at its large side, and the quality of the oversharpened image is simply ridiculous. Welcome back to 1998. The last shot attached is an unedited GCam shot taken this way, with HDR+ off. I wonder if that could be fixed someway for G7+.
    I'll attach some examples that I shot with it, you can take extremely detailed pictures with both back and front cameras.